Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-17-2012   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Quinten Demps

I know we had cut him before last season. He went to another team, they released him, we needed a safety, we signed him back to the team. We thought we were lucky as he made a few opportune plays that we really needed.

He beats out Troy Nolan & we send Nolan packing.

I don't know how he's been playing all year, I think he must have been "ok" since I hadn't really noticed him. But last week against the Patriots & yesterday against the Colts, the two big touchdown plays were made possible because he was looking in the backfield, standing flat-footed as receivers ran right past him.

He got benched yesterday. At least I believe he did, I didn't see him in the second half. Shilo Keo played instead. He stayed deep, like a safety is supposed to.

Do you think Demps is the guy that needs to be on the field? Do you think he learns his lesson & gets on the field again?

It's Wade's call & I trust him to make the right call. But I hope he is not starting next week. Instead, I'd rather Keo gets the first snaps in our dime package, then they allow Demps to take a series, but he should have the understanding he needs to play well to get any more snaps than that.

One mistake & he's going to the locker room early.
Old 12-17-2012   #2
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Quinten Demps

You're right on all of that - my answer is he is so far down the depth chart what do you do? If there was a better player on the street they would sign him.

Vandermeer was talking about that play this morning.

Week to week the best player on the bench will play.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #3
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Quinten Demps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
He got benched yesterday. At least I believe he did, I didn't see him in the second half. Shilo Keo played instead. He stayed deep, like a safety is supposed to.

Do you think Demps is the guy that needs to be on the field? Do you think he learns his lesson & gets on the field again?
I think Demps was injured. I remember seeing him holding his arm after a tackle at one point. I'd have to rewatch to confirm that though.
Old 12-17-2012   #4
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 59150 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know we had cut him before last season. He went to another team, they released him, we needed a safety, we signed him back to the team. We thought we were lucky as he made a few opportune plays that we really needed.

He beats out Troy Nolan & we send Nolan packing.

I don't know how he's been playing all year, I think he must have been "ok" since I hadn't really noticed him. But last week against the Patriots & yesterday against the Colts, the two big touchdown plays were made possible because he was looking in the backfield, standing flat-footed as receivers ran right past him.

It's Wade's call & I trust him to make the right call. But I hope he is not starting next week. Instead, I'd rather Keo gets the first snaps in our dime package, then they allow Demps to take a series, but he should have the understanding he needs to play well to get any more snaps than that.

One mistake & he's going to the locker room early.
Agree and throw in Brandon Harris and his "can't hang with my assignment so I will hold" ass as well...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Agree and throw in Brandon Harris and his "can't hang with my assignment so I will hold" ass as well...
Yeah, a guy who can't hang with Reggie Wayne doesn't need to be in this league.
Old 12-17-2012   #6
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I always hate safeties that don't make sure of their deep responsibility first.

And it's not just Demps.

On the other hand, I haven't seen much from a scheme standpoint where Wade baits the QB with exchanged responsibility by the DBs as of late.

I hope he's saving them for the play-offs.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #7
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59150 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, a guy who can't hang with Reggie Wayne doesn't need to be in this league.
A guy who has to hold a defender, no matter whom it is, because he cannot keep up doesn't need to be in the league...A guy who for the past 3 weeks has committed a stupid holding penalty, extending the drive for the other team, doesn't need to be on the field, much less in the league...

Wayne isn't the only WR Harris has covered...

Have I mentioned I don't like Harris and now understand why he was never played. Only reason he plays now is not by choice, but lack of options for the Texans coaching staff...

Sponsored links
Old 12-17-2012   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Have I mentioned I don't like Harris and now understand why he was never played. Only reason he plays now is not by choice, but lack of options for the Texans coaching staff...
eh....... I think McCain has lost his job.
Old 12-17-2012   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Ok, rewatching the game. Thinking maybe I'm being a little knee jerk.

on the series before Demps gave up that touchdown, he broke on a ball intended for Reggie Wayne, should have intercepted it. However, that pass defensed stopped the Colts on a 3rd & 15 & forced them to punt.

That punt was the one Bryan Braman blocked & returned for a touchdown.

So he's not useless..... but I still believe he was benched & I'm glad that he was. Accountability.
Old 12-17-2012   #10
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
eh....... I think McCain has lost his job.
Can't lose your job in the NFL due to injury.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Can't lose your job in the NFL due to injury.
Unless you're Alex Smith.
Old 12-17-2012   #12
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope it's been a function of lack of other options that has him seeing any kind of significant PT. While I finally like our options at starting safeties...the backups leave way too much to be desired.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

In April we will see the Texans start to replace some players and strengthen our depth. I think it is great we have only one dire need this off season. If Quin is signed, safety is far down the list.
Old 12-17-2012   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I hope it's been a function of lack of other options that has him seeing any kind of significant PT. While I finally like our options at starting safeties...the backups leave way too much to be desired.
With the amount of time our third safety plays, I don't know that you can call him depth. Same with our nickel, we're in nickel too much to not believe we start 3 CBs. Too much dime to not believe we start 3 safeties.
Old 12-17-2012   #15
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That'sthejoke.jpg

Is this me?
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #16
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
or Drew Bledsoe...

Old 12-18-2012   #17
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Brandon Harris more than I like McCain.

I think we need to draft a safety kind of high in the draft...Either that or hope that Eddie Pleasant is the guy that can step in and make plays...

Our safeties haven't been playing all that well IMO...but the thing is any one of them could make a big play at any time. If one of them makes a big play at a crucial moment I think all would be forgiven by most...But I think we could use another good safety even if we re-sign Quinn..
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I like Brandon Harris more than I like McCain.

I think we need to draft a safety kind of high in the draft...Either that or hope that Eddie Pleasant is the guy that can step in and make plays...

Our safeties haven't been playing all that well IMO...but the thing is any one of them could make a big play at any time. If one of them makes a big play at a crucial moment I think all would be forgiven by most...But I think we could use another good safety even if we re-sign Quinn..
I agree. I think Quin consistently makes plays, but they aren't the game changing plays like INTs, sacks or TFLs. Manning, just too far inbetween considering the pressure we do get when we get it, & Demps... he's almost invisible.

I like the starting combo of Manning & Quin, but I'd like to get a solid third... as many snaps as he gets, he's practically a starter. Needs to be a play-maker.
Old 12-18-2012   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With the amount of time our third safety plays, I don't know that you can call him depth. Same with our nickel, we're in nickel too much to not believe we start 3 CBs. Too much dime to not believe we start 3 safeties.
Could be wrong, but I don't think we'd do that so much if we had better coverage from our LBs. Cushing's injury hurts a lot, for one thing.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #20
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109144 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
or Drew Bledsoe...
Bledsoe lost his job to Brady and the (much much) better guy kept it. I'm not sure Kaepernick is the better guy. He gives them a better chance to win the big games but also a bigger chance to lose the easily winnable ones.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read