Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-17-2012   #21
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 73652 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Don't do it Kubiak

how did we get so off topic so quickly?

i mostly agree with the OP, even with the risk of injury it's better to stay focused and get as much game time as possible. the week off is already asking for rust (we're not good after byes if i remember correctly), to sit our starters for 2 weeks would be playoff suicide. i'd have our starters in for at least a half.
Old 12-17-2012   #22
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

2006: 2 wins

2007: 1 win, 1 loss

2008: 1 win, 1 loss

2009: 2 wins

2010: 1 win, 1 loss

2011 (which you won't include, for obvious reasons): 2 losses

7-5 overall in final two games for his tenure here.

Which is why he has the very real potential to find a way to lay down on one of the final two games of the 2012 season. Not even out of trying to, just out of almost inherent history.

Hey, in only TWO of his SIX years here has he finished the last two games without losing one of the final two games. He's only 2-0 in the final two games 33% of the time.

That's 0.333 in baseball terms.
Old 12-17-2012   #23
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Because we played those games without 2 of our most important players on the team. What is so hard about that for you to understand?
So? We beat a Browns team in one of those last two games that was a laugher of a game against a really REALLY bad Browns team.

You can cherry pick wins and losses? I can too. But I choose not to. I also choose to not leave off an entire season of stats.

Gary Kubiak is only 2-0, in the final two games of a season, 2 out of his 6 seasons here.

How are those odds for THIS year? About 33% chance he wins both games.

But hell, that's with me including 2011. Which doesn't "count."
Old 12-17-2012   #24
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
hardly everyone, i agree with the exclusion.
So you wouldn't be interested in knowing that Kubiak has a 33% chance of winning the last two games of this season based on his prior 6 years here?

It's there in plain stats. He's finished 1-1 four times out of his six years here.
Old 12-17-2012   #25
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
2006: 2 wins

2007: 1 win, 1 loss

2008: 1 win, 1 loss

2009: 2 wins

2010: 1 win, 1 loss

2011 (which you won't include, for obvious reasons): 2 losses

7-5 overall in final two games for his tenure here.

Which is why he has the very real potential to find a way to lay down on one of the final two games of the 2012 season. Not even out of trying to, just out of almost inherent history.

Hey, in only TWO of his SIX years here has he finished the last two games without losing one of the final two games. He's only 2-0 in the final two games 33% of the time.

That's 0.333 in baseball terms.
Quote:
Sorry I brought proper perspective to the thread. You guys go back to ignoring Gary's track record of ending seasons on a losing skid.

This is your quote....... You said he has a track record of ending seasons on a losing skid yet you show stats to reflect otherwise. Genius!
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #26
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
This is your quote....... You said he has a track record of ending games on a losing skid yet you show stats to reflect otherwise. Genius!
Ok, so I was majoring on the minors. I guess this loophole invalidates what I was saying about how the final two games are not exactly "in the bag."

I focused on 2011, which you excluded completely. I guess these are off-setting penalties??? LOL.

Everyone knows the point is this: Kubiak has one game to burn, and history has shown that he goes 1-1 66% of the time out of the 6 years he's been here.

That doesn't inspire confidence, in me, that we ought to be talking about whether we rest starters or not in the Colts game that might actually be more than what people think it will be right now.
Old 12-17-2012   #27
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ok, so I was majoring on the minors. I guess this loophole invalidates what I was saying about how the final two games are not exactly "in the bag."

I focused on 2011, which you excluded completely. I guess these are off-setting penalties??? LOL.

Everyone knows the point is this: Kubiak has one game to burn, and history has shown that he goes 1-1 66% of the time out of the 6 years he's been here.

That doesn't inspire confidence, in me, that we ought to be talking about whether we rest starters or not in the Colts game that might actually be more than what people think it will be right now.
Ok, by your logic I'm going to focus on Bill Belichick's Cleveland career and say he's a terrible coach even though he had inferior talent. And Michael Jordan was a terrible player because he couldn't make the playoffs in Washington. Gotcha GP, thanks for giving me that knowledge. I'll use that for the rest of my life.
Sponsored links
Old 12-17-2012   #28
GP 
Go Texans!

2-0 for two seasons.

1-1 for three seasons.

And 0-2 for one season.

It's a bit worse than the original 33% I stated, actually. I was gifting Kubiak 1 win in the 2011 season and didn't even realize it.

In the spirit of this conversation, let's just let Gary have 1 win in 2011.
Old 12-17-2012   #29
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 73652 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So you wouldn't be interested in knowing that Kubiak has a 33% chance of winning the last two games of this season based on his prior 6 years here?

It's there in plain stats. He's finished 1-1 four times out of his six years here.
considering we only need 1 win, i'm feeling pretty good about the numbers.
Old 12-17-2012   #30
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Ok, by your logic I'm going to focus on Bill Belichick's Cleveland career and say he's a terrible coach even though he had inferior talent. And Michael Jordan was a terrible player because he couldn't make the playoffs in Washington. Gotcha GP, thanks for giving me that knowledge. I'll use that for the rest of my life.
Man, now we're into factoring in things that are not even tangible?

Wowzers.

You're using Jordan on a bad Wizards team as an arguing point???
Old 12-17-2012   #31
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
considering we only need 1 win, i'm feeling pretty good about the numbers.
Oh boy, I do NOT want to head into Lucas Oil Stadium needing a win for HFA. No way, sir.

We threw everything at the Colts last year and watched the refs burn JJ Watt on multiple plays at the end of the game to make sure the Colts had a chance to win (which they did).

Based on the shaky performances vs. Packers and Patriots, I don't want to see us need HFA in the last game of the season. ON THE ROAD.
Old 12-17-2012   #32
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Man, now we're into factoring in things that are not even tangible?

Wowzers.

You're using Jordan on a bad Wizards team as an arguing point???
Lol, are you actually reading what you're typing? So Kubiak coaching a 3rd string 5th round QB without his best WR one game, and a journeyman QB who wasn't even on a roster all year playing with a rag tag bunch of backups shouldn't be considered? Man, GP you're a funny dude. I'm turning in for the night. Continue entertaining yourself though!
Old 12-17-2012   #33
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
Oh boy, I do NOT want to head into Lucas Oil Stadium needing a win for HFA. No way, sir.

We threw everything at the Colts last year and watched the refs burn JJ Watt on multiple plays at the end of the game to make sure the Colts had a chance to win (which they did).

Based on the shaky performances vs. Packers and Patriots, I don't want to see us need HFA in the last game of the season. ON THE ROAD.
despite settling for fieldgoals we put a whoopin on the colts. if by some miracle we're unable to fend off christian ponder, i feel very comfortable putting our talent against theirs with home field on the line. besides, by your numbers we're almost guaranteed to win at least 1 of our next 2 games.
Old 12-17-2012   #34
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 42174 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

There's a chance they could play the Colts a 3rd time in a 5 week span. They need to take care of business next week so they don't have to show the Colts anything in week 17, regardless of who plays and for how long.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #35
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98826 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Lost against the Panthers. Who were not exactly burning up the NFL last year.

Lost against the Colts who had Orlovsky as their QB.

Lost against the Titans because we rested starters AND didn't even care to finish the Titans off even though we had chances to put starters back in (though I don't disagree with the move, btw).

3 game skid is a 3 game skid.

So let me see: We've got posters here who say we cannot under ANY freaking circumstances afford to rest starters in the final game--even if we had wrapped up HFA a week prior--because it messes with mojo and momentum and blah-blah-blah...yet look what we did last year! 3 game skid. Plus, playing footsie with the Titans in the final game and we still blew out the Bengals in the first round of the playoffs.

Brilliant.

Meanwhile, there's this little game vs. the Vikings (who must keep winning to secure their own playoff berth, btw) and that's getting virtually no attention. Instead, we're talking about the final game and if we rest starters or not.

I don't trust Gary in this next game to save my life. He's got 1 game to burn, and the whole offense probably lays a turd in this next game because of that mentality. Meanwhile, JJ Watt will continue to beast because JJ Watt does not believe in taking naps.

49ers helped us out in a HUGE way. But we can't drop both games or either Patriots or Denver gets HFA. Trust me, I dream of entering the Colts game with HFA sewn up. I just think people are sleeping on the Vikings. It is most certainly a possibility.
No, we lost the Colts with the Refs as their QBs.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #36
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
despite settling for fieldgoals we put a whoopin on the colts. if by some miracle we're unable to fend off christian ponder, i feel very comfortable putting our talent against theirs with home field on the line. besides, by your numbers we're almost guaranteed to win at least 1 of our next 2 games.
Wouldn't you rather us win the first available game, vs, Vikings, if that's the case?

There is a pucker factor of "10" if we lose to the Vikings and have to beat the Colts, on the road, to secure HFA.

I'm counting on you to know that with Houston pro football you don't count anything until it's completely finished.
Old 12-17-2012   #37
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
No, we lost the Colts with the Refs as their QBs.
But that's just it. You can never know what shakes down in a decisive game.

Refs are goofy like that. You see a lot of calls go the way of the home team. Inherently, the refs do NOT want to be boo'd or harassed...which means home teams are going to get some favorable calls.

I'd like to see studies based on refs and how they call games based on home and road games.
Old 12-17-2012   #38
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
Wouldn't you rather us win the first available game, vs, Vikings, if that's the case?

There is a pucker factor of "10" if we lose to the Vikings and have to beat the Colts, on the road, to secure HFA.

I'm counting on you to know that with Houston pro football you don't count anything until it's completely finished.
of course, and i'd put the pucker at about 25 on a 1-10 scale, but this is a wholly different team than we're used to BECAUSE of kubiak's "flaws". we've already surpassed the oilers. our run first offense put up as many passing yards in a game as moon's best day in the run and shoot. and if peyton manning cant overcome kubiak's turtle, we're unlikely to see frank reich any time soon (though john elway back in the fold brings back memories that make me twitch).

that being said, we're hosting a second year quarterback with poor judgment and questionable mechanics. our second ranked run defense is going to be on display, hopefully allowing us to stay in our base packages. also, if my fantasy reports through the season against the vikings are accurate, every one of our skill position players are primed for huge games. with homefield on the line, we'd have to play worse than we did against new england to lose. even then, the colts would be in the crosshairs of another bounce back game.

hakuna matata.
Old 12-17-2012   #39
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Aw geez, I get ran at 10 times harder than what I did to him.

Almost every single thing I post there's people who got their long knives out for me. LOL.

All I'm saying is that we got bigger problems than worrying if we rest our starters too much, too little, or juuuust right in the final game vs. Colts when the FREAKING VIKINGS are going to come into our house and run Adrian Peterson at us for the better part of 60 minutes of game time.

So we've already won the Vikings game now? That's the vibe I get. We got this all sewed up already. Time to worry about two games from now and how we rest our starters!

If people know anything, they know that this is always ALWAYS dangerous ground for Gary Kubiak. He's got a game to burn, in his mind, and that means we're not safe enough to worry about resting players yet. Period.

Sorry I brought proper perspective to the thread. You guys go back to ignoring Gary's track record of ending seasons on a losing skid.
I gotta give GP his propers for saying what I want to say, but have chosen
not to, simply because we hold a 12-2 record. The fact is, we DO have
a weakness at the Head Coach position, and to this point, we have won
IN SPITE of said weakness. That being said...

Keep up the good work, GP. As long as Kubiak is here, the other shoe will
drop or we will win the Superbowl. He just reminds me too damned much
of Jack Pardee. I hope Wade Phillips is our Buddy Ryan, and we get
a championship without wasting our Hall of Fame talent on both sides
of the ball (Watt and Johnson.)
Old 12-17-2012   #40
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
of course, and i'd put the pucker at about 25 on a 1-10 scale, but this is a wholly different team than we're used to BECAUSE of kubiak's "flaws". we've already surpassed the oilers. our run first offense put up as many passing yards in a game as moon's best day in the run and shoot. and if peyton manning cant overcome kubiak's turtle, we're unlikely to see frank reich any time soon (though john elway back in the fold brings back memories that make me twitch).

that being said, we're hosting a second year quarterback with poor judgment and questionable mechanics. our second ranked run defense is going to be on display, hopefully allowing us to stay in our base packages. also, if my fantasy reports through the season against the vikings are accurate, every one of our skill position players are primed for huge games. with homefield on the line, we'd have to play worse than we did against new england to lose. even then, the colts would be in the crosshairs of another bounce back game.

hakuna matata.
Percy Harvin is also NOT a factor, as well.

Do the Texans, led by Kubiak (let's not lose sight of that here), have it in them to sleep on the Vikings, though, and sort of say "Screw it. We can get this done next week vs. Colts"? I say it's possible.

Only AP scares me. As do the Texans when it comes to this sort of thing we're talking about right now. With Yates last year, we had so so so many games to clinch and just get to the playoffs. I feel like HFA is way bigger of a deal, and with Peyton dragging the Broncos to an 11-3 record and with a shot at HFA themselves, well...I'm nervous.

Sure, I completely see the logic behind your reasons. Then I get twitchy on how even the element of logic is often lost when it comes to big moments in sports.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read