Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-17-2012   #21
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible that we held back on NE?

Teams have up weeks and down weeks, it happens. I don't think we held back at NE, if anything, the Texans were ready but Brady and bunch just jumped on us quickly and we reacted like a deer in the headlights.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #22
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought about it, but nope. HFA was/is still on the line, as was the AFC South championship. You dont throw a game, and then bank on winning the next 3. Especially with the threat of going to NE in January. Nobody wants to do that, especially a dome team.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #23
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
NO, you play to win the game. I am hoping Wade learns from the weaknesses SF exposed last night. They mixed it up well a lot of man to man but I also noticed times when SF only had 2 guys rushing everyone else drop back into coverage.
Agreed, but you've got to know your personnel. Our LBs are worthless in zone. Brady will find the holes. They're better in man, at least their guy is covered for a second. Maybe a second & a half.
Old 12-17-2012   #24
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh please! We got our asses handed to us plain and simple. We got out coached, out played, and out classed that night. I hope we can return the favor in the playoffs.
Old 12-17-2012   #25
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I thought about it, but nope. HFA was/is still on the line, as was the AFC South championship. You dont throw a game, and then bank on winning the next 3. Especially with the threat of going to NE in January. Nobody wants to do that, especially a dome team.
You're saying this about a coach who routinely mails it in and calls a draw play on 3rd and 10 from inside our own 10.

It's not likely that the coaches drew up really REALLY basic schemes for the Pats game, but it's possible.

The players looked weird to me. Like they knew the game wasn't really the big game that it had been built up to be. If you're a player and your coaches indicate, even in very subtle ways, that they're not playing all their wild cards to win that game vs. the Pats...you might not play your best. It could happen.

Kubiak is like that. He thinks he's a great thinker when it comes to strategy. I could easily see him taking that risk, banking on winning out and then pulling out all the stops when the Pats come to Reliant for the AFCC game.
Old 12-17-2012   #26
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 41913 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, we held back against NE for a potential AFC Championship matchup...

We must've also held back against Green Bay hoping for a potential Super Bowl matchup...

I guess it's a good thing that Denver sucked early in the season, otherwise we might've held back against them too...

Special Thanks to False Start for the awesome sig! U Rock!
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #27
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
You're saying this about a coach who routinely mails it in and calls a draw play on 3rd and 10 from inside our own 10.

It's not likely that the coaches drew up really REALLY basic schemes for the Pats game, but it's possible.

The players looked weird to me. Like they knew the game wasn't really the big game that it had been built up to be. If you're a player and your coaches indicate, even in very subtle ways, that they're not playing all their wild cards to win that game vs. the Pats...you might not play your best. It could happen.

Kubiak is like that. He thinks he's a great thinker when it comes to strategy. I could easily see him taking that risk, banking on winning out and then pulling out all the stops when the Pats come to Reliant for the AFCC game.
When you put it that way... I can see it. If any coach would try this move, it would be Kubiak. I dont think it happened though. Too many things could go wrong with that plan, although now it does look like the "plan" would have worked. NE losing yesterday was huge, as they would now have to win out while we lose out.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-17-2012   #28
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I agree with this. I know Kubiak & his coaches were telling them not to panic, to settle down, we're still in this.

I was watching the game with my brother in law & I told him the same thing. He said, "It's 21 nothing, you've got to start throwing it on every down."

I told him & I'm sure Kubiak told the players, we've got damn near three full quarters. We were never going to win a shootout with the Patriots & we definitely won't win one now.

We've got time to stick to our game plan, control the clock, score, & get a few defensive stops, we'll be back in it by the 4th qtr.

"Theoretically" that was our only chance to win. But, we couldn't convert on third downs, even 4th downs & we had plenty of opportunities to do so. A bad throw here, a dropped ball there & it's a different game. Keep in mind, the people dropping the ball was OD, Walter, Andre, & Arian, some of the best hands in the NFL.

But to summerize, I think they were over confident.
Old 12-17-2012   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
But, we couldn't convert on third downs, even 4th downs & we had plenty of opportunities to do so. A bad throw here, a dropped ball there & it's a different game. Keep in mind, the people dropping the ball was OD, Walter, Andre, & Arian, some of the best hands in the NFL.

But to summerize, I think they were over confident.
Like some of the other posters have mentioned, this is a big problem. We couldn't convert in the second half of the Titans game.

We couldn't convert against the Patriots.

Though we converted yesterday against the Colts, we didn't convert in the red zone.

That has to be fixed. Kubiak needs to (or at least should need to) see them convert in the red zone so badly that there should be no talk of resting week 17. Even if we score 68 points against the Vikings, if that's because the defense scored, or scores off big plays, He should still keep his offensive starters in the game & make them prove they can convert in the red zone.

The defensive guys named Antonio Smith, Jj Watt, & Kj deserve the break, but I don't think those guys will take it.
Old 12-17-2012   #30
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Bottom line is that Patriots and 49ers are the two best teams in the NFL as witnessed last night. Question is: can the Texans beat New England (if that is who they face?) in the AFC Championship game? Then 49ers in Super Bowl? Tall task, but that is why they play the game. Key points in game dictate strategy moving forward, so I can't help but feel Kubiak consciously made a decision to build towards perceived inevitable match-up against these same Patriots in the playoffs @ some point. Not throwing the game but to step back, keep players out of harms way & evaluate specific player match-ups.

Next meeting will most surely be in Reliant. I fully expect Kubiak to be less conservative & outside his comfort zone, in more of attacking mode, playing the odds with a chip on the players & coaches collective minds with much different outcome

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #31
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Not a chance...we got wrecked by a team clicking on all cylinders. it was just like us against Baltimore this year.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #32
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Oh please! We got our asses handed to us plain and simple. We got out coached, out played, and out classed that night. I hope we can return the favor in the playoffs.
This times 1000.
Old 12-17-2012   #33
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Question is: can the Texans beat New England (if that is who they face?) in the AFC Championship game?
They'll have to play the game of their lives. Coaches on both sides of the ball, too.

49ers dominated, but the Pats still had a chance. I'd like to have another shot at them.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #34
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
They'll have to play the game of their lives. Coaches on both sides of the ball, too.

49ers dominated, but the Pats still had a chance. I'd like to have another shot at them.
We should take care of our business at least once in the next two weeks.

And it will be them that need to beat the Bronco's (most probably) to have a shot at us in our house.

76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #35
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
He didn't hold back, but the players didn't execute and then we got too far behind to play.

SF's gameplan was very similar to ours. Man coverage, run the ball on the outside. They threw deep like we did, but they executed. I think a couple plays go our way last week the game woulda been much closer.
But we did not put our best on Welker........SF honed in on burying Welker on coverage.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #36
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah, we held back so we could be humiliated on global TV. Kubez master plan is to look incompetent so we can sneak up on them later.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #37
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1688 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

We didn't hold back. Sure, coaches keep some plays up their sleeves for certain situations, but NE jumped on us lightning quick and we were on our heels the entire game. Our team is built to jump on a lead early, and hold it by pounding away. We're simply not a "score a dozen points a minute" type team. Kubiak's style is to run the ball and pound the other team. I have no problem with that, as most dynastic championship teams are built that way (NE being the notable exception). Once we were down 21-0, we were completely out of our element and in a hostile environment and miserable conditions. The 9ers last night, on the other hand, jumped out to an early lead and kept piling on. With better playcalling, the Pats would never have jumped back into that game. Some call Harbaugh "ballsy", but I call it moronic what he did in that game. Dropping back into zone against the Patriots with Brady down by a few scores? Throwing the ball 70% of the time with a 4-TD lead? Stupid.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #38
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing to remember is that it doesn't matter what the results from that game were. The entire time I was watching, or not watching since I turned it off after a while I was thinking of the Jets Monday Night game with them a few years back. They beat the Jets worse than they beat us. Then the Jets went back there in the divisional round and knocked them off. We're capable of beating them, but our execution has to be much better than it was that night. Its the reason I didn't panic too much.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #39
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149846 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Lol

Rope-a-dope
I thought that at one point...if you show Belecheat your best you let him prepare...lull him into a false sense of security.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #40
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

ABSOLUTELY! They surely held back on NE.

They wanted to sandbag NE into a trap game for the AFC Championship week.

Also, they wanted to come onto the TT Forum and read all the experts opinions on how bad they suck... oh, and my personal favorite, how one member would kick Schaub's ass if they ever ran into him. The poo slung on this forum that night was more pathetic than the actual game. Some of you should be ashamed to call yourselves fans. It's been a week now, and I've fought off all urge to say anything about the fans showing on this board that night. I am 100% confident that Patriot trolls were getting a bigger kick out of our game day thread than they were the actual game. Pathetic.

LOL.

disclaimer: there were a good number of mature fans who could actually be discouraged about the game without being little bit#%es

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read