Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-03-2013   #81
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans compensatory picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I need some confirmation.
As I understand it, each FA we signed cancels out one that we lost.

Lost:
Mario
Allen
Brisiel
Dreessen

Signed:
James
Donnie Jones.

It looks to me like we will only get two comp pick:
A third for Mario and a sixth for Allen (due to the value of the contract they signed with the new teams.)

Did I miss something ?

Rackers' deal may also have reached a qualifying offer... it was certainly more than the two you listed.

According to anything I have seen, the Texans should qualify for 4 compensatory picks... with one being a 3rd,

The question is what they get for Briesel and Dreessen (4th-6th) and whether Allen will get them a 6th or 7th (his lack of play may knock him down).

My best guess: 3rd, 5th, 5th, 7th.
Old 02-03-2013   #82
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 245923 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Dutch has a section on this:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...t=compensatory
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013   #83
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Rackers' deal may also have reached a qualifying offer... it was certainly more than the two you listed.

According to anything I have seen, the Texans should qualify for 4 compensatory picks... with one being a 3rd,

The question is what they get for Briesel and Dreessen (4th-6th) and whether Allen will get them a 6th or 7th (his lack of play may knock him down).

My best guess: 3rd, 5th, 5th, 7th.
I don't think Rackers deal, or anyone the Texans signed reached the minimum qualifying offer threshold. Based upon what I have seen and read over the years, I think the actual contract is where the round of compensation is slotted, then performance based inside that round is given credence.

Mario is an obvious third. Brisiel and Allen both signed deals that averaged $4 million, and I think that puts their compensation firmly in the 6th round. Dreessen's deal was for less than $3 million/year, but I think that will be good enough for the 6th round, as well. My guess at this point is one 3rd and 3 6th rounders. This guy adamjt13 did a great job at guessing the compensatory slots, but hasn't done them in awhile.
Old 02-03-2013   #84
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dutch's 2013 Texans Offseason Projections and Info

Hey, maybe I'll get the three sixth rounders I was clamoring for.

I guess it's time to go look for a potential diamond in the rough.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013   #85
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Comp pics come at the end of the round, right ? For example, if we'd get a third-round comp for Mario, we'd get the 33rd pic of the 3rd round (assuming there's no other comps in that round) ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013   #86
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Comp pics come at the end of the round, right ? For example, if we'd get a third-round comp for Mario, we'd get the 33rd pic of the 3rd round (assuming there's no other comps in that round) ?
Yep, it's just that the order of those picks can vary depending on how many others there are. Usually there are quite a few 5/6/7th round comp picks, and the order of those depends on the rating given by the secret formula. The dumb thing is, if we end up with a 5th, 6th, and 7th, we won't know for certain which player generated which pick. Only way to know for sure is if they are all the same round. Seems really dumb to me that the NFL protects this formula and the results like it's the recipe for Coke. It's really not that significant, and it should be made public to GMs and fans.
Old 02-04-2013   #87
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, the Raiders lost Aso and got the third rounder, so I think it's safe to say that we'll also get a third.

The Raiders also got the first comp pick in the 4th and they took my dark horse Miles Burris, LB.

He started 15 games for them, recording 2 sacks, 1 Int, and 96 tackles.
Sponsored links
Old 02-04-2013   #88
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I need some confirmation.
As I understand it, each FA we signed cancels out one that we lost.

Lost:
Mario
Allen
Brisiel
Dreessen

Signed:
James
Donnie Jones.

It looks to me like we will only get two comp pick:
A third for Mario and a sixth for Allen (due to the value of the contract they signed with the new teams.)

Did I miss something ?
IIRC the timing of when the player is signed effects it. Phillips stated in Chronicle that he told James he would sign him after cut off date so it would not cancel a comp. Not sure about Jones but may have been same.
Old 02-04-2013   #89
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Frrom the OP guys...

2012 salaries are as follows:
Shayne Graham: 2012: $925,000
Bradie James: 2012: $825,000
Donnie Jones: 2012: $825,000
Alan Ball: 6/2/2012: Signed an undisclosed contract. (June 1st is cutoff date for comp picks)
Justin Forsett: 6/2/2012: Signed a one-year contract. (June 1st is cutoff date for comp picks)
Ryan Harris: 9/1/2012: Signed a one-year, $700,000 contract.

All of the above are minimum or ineligible deals and do not affect our comp picks. If you have a specific player to ask about, let me know and I can look it up real quick.
Old 02-04-2013   #90
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Frrom the OP guys...

2012 salaries are as follows:
Shayne Graham: 2012: $925,000
Bradie James: 2012: $825,000
Donnie Jones: 2012: $825,000
Alan Ball: 6/2/2012: Signed an undisclosed contract. (June 1st is cutoff date for comp picks)
Justin Forsett: 6/2/2012: Signed a one-year contract. (June 1st is cutoff date for comp picks)
Ryan Harris: 9/1/2012: Signed a one-year, $700,000 contract.

All of the above are minimum or ineligible deals and do not affect our comp picks. If you have a specific player to ask about, let me know and I can look it up real quick.
Good.
Old 02-04-2013   #91
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Raiders also got the first comp pick in the 4th and they took my dark horse Miles Burris, LB.
The Raiders received that pick for losing TE Zach Miller (5 years, $34 million) to the Seahawks.
Old 02-05-2013   #92
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Dutch, can we have an update on this.

Let's start with all the active contracts (not counting the recent future/reserve contracts for guys like Keenum).

Let's assume we don't cut any of these guys. How many do we have and what are their cap spaces for 2013?
Old 03-01-2013   #93
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

What would be the savings for cutting OD.
Old 03-02-2013   #94
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Base" $4 m; prorated signing bonus: $750 K; misc bonus $1 m; Dead money: $3.5 m; cap hit: $5. 75 m; total saving if cut $5.75 - $3.5 = $2 m

* not sure if the miscellaneous bonus is one that is based on certain criteria & could be eliminated if he is cut.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/cap-hit/
Old 03-02-2013   #95
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Probably not enough to replace him with an equal or more productive player.

I think its safe to say the same thing about Walter who would only save ~$2m if cut.

The way I look at those situations is: Can you replace them with an equal or greater piece with the savings against the cap. If you cant , its probably not a wise cut.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read