Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-15-2012   #61
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why the offense bogged down against the Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
^^^^
This

Running up the middle with Wilfork there was just plain stupid and hard headed. Anybody get the feeing that Gary chokes in big games? Other than the playoffs last yr I cant remember Gary/Matt winning a big game under the bright lights.
Personally, I think Kubiak and Wade both were out-coached last week. Wilfork dominated the middle of the field and Kubiak has a slow, plodding offense with zone linemen that aren't good at 7-step drop protections. Once the Patriots shut down the run, they forced us to beat them with our passing attack. This team may pass well off the run/boot game...but it isn't a good drop back passing unit without trickery.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012   #62
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I think what he is saying they had opportunities to score before going down by 21. After the Patriots' first score we had a nice drive to get into scoring position, but turned it over. We threw an INT in the freak'n end zone. That's ok... no one expected us to score on every possession. Schaub is not elite, he's not clutch, we don't have the offensive weapons to score at will (Like a Pro Bowl QB, or arguably the best WR in the AFC, or arguably the best RB in the AFC, or arguably the best LT in the league)...

The Patriots score again, go up by 14. We absolutely, positively need to score here. At the very least, the one thing we cannot do, under any circumstance, is go 3 & out. Not after the defense was just used to mop up the field. But we do, we go 3 & out. That's exactly what we do. Defense is back on the field.

Defense is back on the field, still can't stop squat, the Patriots go up 21-0... now, our offense needs to score.

But don't.

Now, if by some sort of magic, the defense changes & becomes something capable of shutting the Patriots down from here on out, that won't change the fact that they've given up 21 points. The only they can do, is hope the offense figures out it's dilemma and put some points on the board.

Despite the Patriots getting 3 more possessions in the half (they shouldn't get but 4 possessions in the entire half, not a single qtr), they don't score. The defense delivers 3 back to back to back 3 & outs. The closest the offense got to scoring would have been a 51 yard field goal.

Patriots get the ball to start the 3rd Qtr..... they are allowed to gain 15 yards, then forced to punt. Our defense dominated the Patriots offense on their last 4 possessions.

If our offense scores here, we have a chance. Practically two qtrs to go we cut the lead to 14, we can still run our offense. No need to panic, no need to get desperate, all the offense has to do, is score a TD.

But that's not what happened. We went 3 & out. Now like I said, no one expected our offense to score on every possession. Just like no one expected them not to score on any of them. At this point, we're talking about 8 possessions. If we were to have scored on just half of them, that's 32 points. We'd be in the lead at this point.

But maybe it's a little to much to expect the 10th best QB in the league, the best LT in the league, the best WR in the AFC, the best RB in the AFC & a true offensive genius to score on half of their possessions. How about 40% of their possessions (or 3 of 8)? Would that be too much? That would have been 21 points, a tie game. That would have matched what the Patriots did in 8 possessions.

I understand the Patriots had a 21 point lead. But that alone is no reason to panic, that is no reason to be desperate, in fact, that is no reason to change your approach. Our 8th possession started with 13 minutes left in the third Qtr. If we had scored on 3 of our 8 possessions, we'd have a tie game with 13 minutes remaining in the 3rd Qtr & the entire 4th qtr yet to play.

It would be wrong to lay the Lions' share of this loss on Wade & the defense. At least they made an adjustment. At least they punched back.
I'm pretty sure DoubleBarrel knew that was where I was coming from. But to be fair, I was being a little snarky.

The point still stands however; our offense had chances to make plays and answer each of the Patriot scores, as you pointed out, and then some.
They didn't.
It's really that simple. You guys can blame the coaches if you like. For me it will always come down to the guys in the Texans unis to make the plays.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012   #63
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Personally, I think Kubiak and Wade both were out-coached last week. Wilfork dominated the middle of the field and Kubiak has a slow, plodding offense with zone linemen that aren't good at 7-step drop protections. Once the Patriots shut down the run, they forced us to beat them with our passing attack. This team may pass well off the run/boot game...but it isn't a good drop back passing unit without trickery.
I don't think this is true. We have shown an ability to drop back and throw the ball when needed (lions and Jags in particular, and plenty of times in previous years). But we were usually behind in the chains, behind on the scoreboard, and no one made a play. Walter dropped a 4th down catch, Jean gets brought down by an arm tackle on third down and drops the early big one....

We had a bad game plan. We should have expected them to take Foster away and passed early. But even worse, we just had bad execution, from the O line, to Schaub to his receivers.
Old 12-16-2012   #64
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I was on one of the Raven's boards, lurking. Thought I'd take a peak at their Texans@Patriots game day thread. It was interesting to see their take on the game, without the obvious bias towards the Texans. They are biased against Bellichick thought. I thought it was interesting, figured maybe some of you would think the same.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read