Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-13-2012   #21
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115041 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why the offense bogged down against the Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
When you play against great QBs, you can't afford to make hardly any mistakes; we did the exact opposite.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
When you play against great QBs, you can't afford to make hardly any mistakes; we did the exact opposite.
Wes Welker dropped a lot of balls. What do you attribute that to?
Old 12-13-2012   #23
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Wes Welker dropped a lot of balls. What do you attribute that to?
Well, that was the match-up that I wanted.

Jackson gave up the first catch to Welker (damn good move on his part).

Second pass is an incompletion in KJ'a area.

Brady's pass was a little too far off for Welkr to catch.
And you know why? Because he knew KJax can close and will knock the snot out of Welker.

Jackson broke up another pass.

And he knocked the snot out of Welker on another attempt, jarring the ball loose.

Hell, Jackson even knocked the snot out of Hernandez on one pas play.

I am sure Brady and the Pats were aware of this.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #24
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Hell, Jackson even knocked the snot out of Hernandez on one pas play.
I saw that, then he talked a little smack as Hernandez was getting up. I thought, "That boy's definitely got his confidence going."

Hernandez is huuuuuuge compared to Jackson.
Old 12-13-2012   #25
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
You don't think that 21 point lead that Brady gave his defense helped?

It's a no-brainer.
I completely agree that our offense bogged down because they were playing catch-up. To say simply that our offense bogged down because their quarterback is better than ours is not accurate. Eventually, you'll get there, so I guess I'll concede that.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #26
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I saw that, then he talked a little smack as Hernandez was getting up. I thought, "That boy's definitely got his confidence going."

Hernandez is huuuuuuge compared to Jackson.
Don't you just love that?

I know I do.
Old 12-13-2012   #27
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I did not expect our defense to shut down Brady, but I did expect our offense to score frequently against their defensive backs. IMO, Kubiak should have gotten his offense under control but seemed to have no clue. If Matt look star struck, bring him out a series then send him back in.
Old 12-13-2012   #28
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

*tap* *tap *tap*

We didn't execute.

*tap* *tap* *tap*

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #29
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
I really hope so, man.
I really hope so.
Old 12-13-2012   #30
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92860 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Everyone has been saying it for years, but the Texans really need another weapon at WR opposite AJ.

Hopefully the need for QBs by other teams will let an elite WR slip down in the draft
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #31
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94100 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

It bogged down b/c we couldn't run the ball...its just as simple as that. once Wilfork started blowing up Myers, Mayo started shooting gaps & Ninkovich started crashing down hard... it was over. That kills the play action & it kills our play selection when we're in 3rd and long all the time. It is the exact gameplan GB used against us.

The only difference is GB moved Matthews all over the place to create all the havoc & Hawk was the guy shooting gaps.

I'll tell you something else too...I think this highlights how bad we miss Tate in the backfield as well. Foster's greatest attribute (patience) is also his greatest weakness at times b/c he waits too long in the backfield trying to wait for something to open up. Tate is the direct opposite...He sees a sliver of light & he hits it fast..sometimes to his detriment.

There were a few runs in the 3rd where Tate seemed to be gashing them b/c he was hitting the hole so fast Wilfork couldn't locate him & Ninkovich couldn't crash down fast enough. I think this is also the main reason our run game has been pretty much trash this year...Tate's been out & he balances out Foster's patient runs with quick burst runs.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #32
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i put the game more on wilfork than i do brady. to use gruden's phrase, wilfork simply "ruined the game" for us. we couldnt stop him in the run game, couldnt stop his pass rush, and couldnt keep his hands down. he went all jj watt on us. without wilfork this game looks exactly as predicted, with both teams scoring 20+.
Old 12-13-2012   #33
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
It bogged down b/c we couldn't run the ball...its just as simple as that. once Wilfork started blowing up Myers, Mayo started shooting gaps & Ninkovich started crashing down hard... it was over. That kills the play action & it kills our play selection when we're in 3rd and long all the time. It is the exact gameplan GB used against us.

The only difference is GB moved Matthews all over the place to create all the havoc & Hawk was the guy shooting gaps.

I'll tell you something else too...I think this highlights how bad we miss Tate in the backfield as well. Foster's greatest attribute (patience) is also his greatest weakness at times b/c he waits too long in the backfield trying to wait for something to open up. Tate is the direct opposite...He sees a sliver of light & he hits it fast..sometimes to his detriment.

There were a few runs in the 3rd where Tate seemed to be gashing them b/c he was hitting the hole so fast Wilfork couldn't locate him & Ninkovich couldn't crash down fast enough. I think this is also the main reason our run game has been pretty much trash this year...Tate's been out & he balances out Foster's patient runs with quick burst runs.
Do you know that the only real run Tate had was a 23-ydr when he had a huge hole (Almost from the numbers to the hash marks.)

Not to talk him down, but even a water buffalo or a hippo can go through that monstrous opening for a huge gain.
Old 12-13-2012   #34
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i put the game more on wilfork than i do brady. to use gruden's phrase, wilfork simply "ruined the game" for us. we couldnt stop him in the run game, couldnt stop his pass rush, and couldnt keep his hands down. he went all jj watt on us. without wilfork this game looks exactly as predicted, with both teams scoring 20+.
That was why I said Kubiak put too much on Ben Jones' plate.
Old 12-13-2012   #35
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I did not expect our defense to shut down Brady, but I did expect our offense to score frequently against their defensive backs. IMO, Kubiak should have gotten his offense under control but seemed to have no clue. If Matt look star struck, bring him out a series then send him back in.
I can get behind that. Looks like Wade was able to get his boys under control & into the game. They played excellent football from 11 minutes remaining in the 2nd Qtr until they were taken out of the game.

Kubiak couldn't get his side centered. Even Special teams outplayed the offense.

Maybe it wasn't wade, maybe it was Kollar, Herring, & Joseph that got it together, but still all three groups, you've got to believe the DC is doing his thang.

The OL never got it together, they actually got worse as the game went on. Sure, the 21 point lead had something to do with it. Matt & the receivers never got on the same page. Ben Tate did look good though.

I'd like to blame Dennison, but I've been giving Kubiak the credit when the offense does well, so...

Old 12-13-2012   #36
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
But we're the most balanced team in the NFL.... next to the Patriots.

Matt was finding open receivers, they just couldn't catch the ball (for one reason or another). Those completions should have been enough to extend drives & get us scores.

Though Brady was getting the job done, he was taking a beating worse than Matt & they couldn't run effectively early either.

Not blaming Kubiak (because I had the same game plan) but the Patriots came out early wanting to up the tempo, that's their game. We wanted to slow it down, that's our game. & really if it weren't for two ticky-tack PI calls, I think it was a good plan.
Old 12-13-2012   #37
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Without a doubt, I said that earlier, they out-Texaned us. Pretty much the way we out-Beared the Bears.

Pretty funny when you think about it.

Because we were worried about the Bears forcing turnovers, we practiced forcing turnovers. The Bears didn't force one, we did.

Because the Patriots were concerned about Jj Watt, their defense prepared for Jj Watt. They penetrated our OL & batted a few balls down as well. We didn't bat one ball down.

ironic

Another big difference though Wilfork didn't get a sack, his play allowed the rest of his line to get into our back-field & raise havok
Old 12-13-2012   #38
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

It's about to be Friday and we're still talking about this game...lol...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #39
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 51991 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

While the defense did struggle badly in the first half, they seemed to settle down before halftime and even came out strong in the 2nd half. The offense was terrible and couldn't stay on the field, thus they got tired and when you're tired, chasing around a no huddle offense vs the GOAT in Brady, well you're doomed.
Old 12-13-2012   #40
Everlong
Rookie

Rep Power: 656 Everlong is a quality contributor and well respectedEverlong is a quality contributor and well respectedEverlong is a quality contributor and well respectedEverlong is a quality contributor and well respectedEverlong is a quality contributor and well respectedEverlong is a quality contributor and well respectedEverlong is a quality contributor and well respectedEverlong is a quality contributor and well respectedEverlong is a quality contributor and well respectedEverlong is a quality contributor and well respectedEverlong is a quality contributor and well respected

Welker takes a ton of big hits nearly every week and often get planted by LBs. Pound for pound one of the toughest guys in the league. I'm not sure why Brady and Welker were off but it wasn't because Welker was intimidated. The hit on Hernandez was a nice pop. Really both teams brought the lumber.

Wilfork doesn't get nearly enough pub nationally for how good he is. What you saw was how he plays every week.

As far as why the offense bogged down I said before the game in one of the threads here how Kubiak approached attacking the Patriots was going to be clutch. If he came out and tried to establish the run to set up the pass the Texans would struggle. Conversely if they game out and mixed the Pats up with play action on early down they would have a much higher degree of success. Kubiak went the direction of what he always does and the Pats were very prepared for it.
Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read