Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Goodell says playoffs could expand

srrono

All Pro
At the conclusion of the league’s quarterly ownership meeting in Dallas, Commissioner Roger Goodell dusted off a concept that rears its head from time to time.

Expanded playoffs.

Goodell said that the owners “teed up” the issue of expanding the playoffs from 12 to 14 or 16 teams, and that the discussions will continue in the coming months.

The use of 16 playoff teams would eliminate the bye weeks, requiring the top two seeds in each conference to play in the wild-card round, which would become a quarterfinal round in the AFC and NFC.

It also suggests that, with a 16-team playoff field, perhaps the NFL will eventually decide to fill vacancies in L.A. and London via expansion.
How many teams should be in the playoffs?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/12/goodell-says-playoffs-could-expand/

JCTexan

Hall of Fame
At the conclusion of the league’s quarterly ownership meeting in Dallas, Commissioner Roger Goodell dusted off a concept that rears its head from time to time.

Expanded playoffs.

Goodell said that the owners “teed up” the issue of expanding the playoffs from 12 to 14 or 16 teams, and that the discussions will continue in the coming months.

The use of 16 playoff teams would eliminate the bye weeks, requiring the top two seeds in each conference to play in the wild-card round, which would become a quarterfinal round in the AFC and NFC.

It also suggests that, with a 16-team playoff field, perhaps the NFL will eventually decide to fill vacancies in L.A. and London via expansion.
How many teams should be in the playoffs?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/12/goodell-says-playoffs-could-expand/
I don't think the playoffs should expand. The last thing I want is the Dolphins or Cowboys (using them as examples because they're in the hunt right now) making the playoffs with an 8-8 record. Keep it as is and make teams earn it.

Showtime100

Got JJ?
Goodell only sees $$$$$$ and could care less about the integrity of the game. Then again, it's the same for all current commissioners.

Last edited:

Txn_in_FL

All Pro
Goodell only sees $$$$$$ and could care less about the integrity of the game. Then agaon, it's the same for all current commisioners.
He keeps getting shot down over extending the regular season so now he's trying this little scheme out. You can't talk about player safety and then talk about more games.

This guy is a joke just like Bettman in the NHL.

GP

Go Texans!
OK, this is it.

No more.

That guy can kiss my ass. What an incredibly conceited jack hole.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Goodell only sees $$$$$$ and could care less about the integrity of the game. Then agaon, it's the same for all current commisioners.
I see NFL greed eventually driving us to a 32 team playoff with a 24 game regular season played Sunday through Saturday with a 33 player roster which excludes the overhead existence of kickers and punters. After that, I expect introduction of one-size-fits all uniforms.......... one universal home field, one universal visitor, team distinction only by different helmets.

$15 White Castles hamburgers

$25 mini-dogs

And, last but not least, in the interest of saving fans from getting caught in the net of alcohol check points posted outside every NFL stadium, the downsizing of beer serving sizes (similar to NY's soft drink size limit) where we will be introduced to the highly sought-after 3 oz. $50 beer.

Enjoy!:shots:

TejasTom

All Pro
Didn't Seattle get in with a losing record just 2 years ago?

And they want to add more teams.

Posted using Tapatalk from my phone. May contain errors.

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
Why doesn't he just give out participation medals also

Wow, he is interested in more teams playing more games. Mr. Safety...ahem..bull#$%^

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
Goodell just becomes more and more incompetent everytime he opens his mouth. I thought he started his tenure off well but now he's just become a joke. He's become equal to Bud Selig.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
what hes trying to do is Expand the game worldwide like soccer is thats his overall goal

is to have enough teams to expand into canada and mexico and western eroupe

kinda like how college has a **** load of teams and divisons kinda the same way with the NFL

i tell u one thing in the future there will be a **** load of football to watch it will prob be on every other day LOL

tho has the NFL gets bigger it saturates the product

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
How are you going to be able to watch every playoff game if there are 8 on the opening weekend? 3 on Saturday, 3 on Sunday, and 2 on Monday night? I love pro football, and I really love the playoffs. But that's too freakin' much.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
No offense but are people reading impaired? The report is Goodell said the owners "teed up" the idea. It doesn't say he suggested or advocated for it. At this point you should be jumping the owners not Goodell.

2012Champs

Hall of Fame
No offense but are people reading impaired? The report is Goodell said the owners "teed up" the idea. It doesn't say he suggested or advocated for it. At this point you should be jumping the owners not Goodell.

I was thinking the same thing after reading the article and then all of the comments in the thread.

And for those saying Goodell is in it for the money? Well what do you think the comm of the NFL is supposed to do? Build the brand, which means more money as well.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Expanding the playoffs is a bad idea no matter whose idea it is. What the hell incintive is there to have the best record now? Hell, under that system, once you win enough games to get into the playoffs you can just rest your starters the rest of the season. Seeding would mean nothing anymore.

More team making the playoffs makes it a little less prestigious to make the playoffs. This is about the one thing baseball does right anymore.

gtexan02

Working?
Greed is going to ultimately destroy this game.
It reminds me of the philosophical question about the ship. You have a ship. A board wears out, so you replace it with a new one. You keep doing this until eventually every single board has been replaced. Is it the same ship?

Is it the same game, even now? When I went to Canton a couple of years ago I was surprised with how little the game we watch now resembles football in its early years.

Greed is and will certainly negatively affect us. At the same time, the profitability of the NFL is the reason it's still broadcast on channels like ABC/Fox/NBC while basketball is signing deals with networks no one can even see.

Tough issues

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
And for those saying Goodell is in it for the money? Well what do you think the comm of the NFL is supposed to do? Build the brand, which means more money as well.
That's just it. Goodell and/or the owners could lock themselves in a cellar for 15 years and the NFL would still be a mega-profitable multi-billion dollar business.

Don't try to fix what's not broke.

GlassHalfFull

Hall of Fame
The NFL is by the nature of the sport a single elimination playoff. Unlike the NBA or MLB where you can have a best of 7 series that gives you a better chance of determining the best team over the course of a playoff.

Because of the single elimination, any given Sunday, the playoffs should be restricted to a minimum number of teams.

In other words, don't fix it if it ain't broke.