Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-12-2014   #101
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: JJ Watt is a damned decent human being!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
#34 was a great runner but he couldn't block or catch the ball, and he was a fumbler, carrying the ball in one hand at arm's length from his body. Remember the time he lost a won game at Oakland when he could have reeled the ball in and walked into the end zone? The last defender thought, "I can't get to him, but maybe I can get a hand on the ball he's holding at arm's length toward me." So he lunged and swung at the ball and Charles Phillips recovered and ran it back 98 yards for a Raiders TD.
Walter Payton was a far more valuable running back.
Faaan tastic...
out of all the wonderful plays and memories Earl gave us you only remember this play.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014   #102
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 5803 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Faaan tastic...
out of all the wonderful plays and memories Earl gave us you only remember this play.
I'll admit, Earl Campbell Hot Links are very good.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014   #103
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
I'll admit, Earl Campbell Hot Links are very good.
hmmmm... good point
I think I'll go nuke a couple right now

ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014   #104
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Quote:
WOW! @spotrac just said on air with us that his projections estimate JJ Watt receiving a deal worth $140 mil over 6 yrs w/ $55 guar. #Texans

He's killing us Whitey, he's killing us...
Old 07-15-2014   #105
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114521 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock

He's killing us Whitey, he's killing us...

Pay the man?
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014   #106
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

$140 mil? I wouldn't pay a single player that, QB or not. Love Watt but that's lunacy.
Old 07-18-2014   #107
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
$140 mil? I wouldn't pay a single player that, QB or not. Love Watt but that's lunacy.
Somebody is going to pay him, and it might as well be the Texans.
Sponsored links
Old 07-18-2014   #108
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Agreed. Besides, I read somewhere that JJ Watt is a damned decent human being.
Old 07-18-2014   #109
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Agreed. Besides, I read somewhere that JJ Watt is a damned decent human being.
He'll be a damned decent human being until the first contract negotiations.
Old 07-18-2014   #110
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Unless I am mistaken, that's more than any QB or player in the league. It is impossible to pay him that kind of cash.
Old 07-18-2014   #111
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Unless I am mistaken, that's more than any QB or player in the league. It is impossible to pay him that kind of cash.
If the salary cap stays as is then yes, but it's not, so it won't be impossible. It would probably make it impossible to have him and a really good QB not on his rookie deal though.
Old 07-18-2014   #112
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If the salary cap stays as is then yes, but it's not, so it won't be impossible. It would probably make it impossible to have him and a really good QB not on his rookie deal though.
Maybe a little off topic, but with the contracts getting inflated like they are I wonder if we'll see teams offer less per year but higher amounts guaranteed. Instead of $140 with $55 guaranteed, maybe $100-110 with $75-85. Same amount of time just a little less per year to help build a team around these guys.
Old 07-18-2014   #113
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 313912 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I tend to agree. I dig JJ Watt and hope he's a Texan for his entire career, but once I step out of that fan bubble, the reality is that he's going to cost so much that it will ultimately mean the team cannot pay a premium at other positions.

We had arguably the best defensive player on the roster in 2013, and only managed 2 wins. If this was one of the four elite QBs, you could justify that much cap for one player. But, nobody on defense can alter a game like an elite QB, so a team has to balance what it wants with what it needs.
Old 07-20-2014   #114
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jUBbCgMWmE
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014   #115
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"It's really exciting to be back. It's always fun when football season is in the air," Watt said. "Just like the fans, we get excited about it, we get revved up and ready to go. It's going to be fun."

With a new coaching staff in place and a new defensive scheme to be learned, Watt was asked if he was more energized coming into this camp.

"Did I lack energy last year?" Watt responded. "That's my answer. I feel like I'm always energized. I get to play this game and you never know when it's going to end. Some kids think their career ends in high school, some kids in college, some people only get to play a few years in this league, some people get to play a long time. As long as I get an opportunity to play this game, I'm going to cherish it and I'm going to be energized to play it."
"Yes, obviously there is a little bit different feel," Watt said. "It's a good coaching staff. We have a good staff that works very hard, they're energetic, they're very smart and it's going to be fun to play for them. Obviously, a new coaching staff brings some change with it, but football is football. You go out there and you work as hard as you possibly can and try and be a great teammate. With a new staff, you want to get in the playbook as much as you can to learn the system.

"But the best part about training camp is every day is an opportunity to get better. Every single day that I step on the field, you get a chance to work on a skill. You get a chance to work on a technique, you get to improve and you get a few weeks to do so. There's really no time of year quite like training camp, where you can really dramatically improve just over a few weeks."
"We're looking to get as good as we can get every single day," Watt said. "We're going to work every single day to be as good as we can be. It all starts Saturday and we're going to go out to the practice field and we're going to try to improve that day and then Sunday and then Monday. It's not the answer that you want to hear, but that's what we're going to do."
http://www.csnhouston.com/football-h...-some-football
Old 07-29-2014   #116
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default All work and no play for JJ Watt

This article makes me appreciate JJ even more, which is pretty amazing in and of itself. He is truly one of the greats.

http://grantland.com/features/j-j-wa...4-nfl-preview/

By far my favorite quote:
Quote:
“When it comes down to that moment,” Watt says, “when it’s me against you, you know in your head whether you worked hard enough. You can try to lie to yourself. You can try to tell yourself that you put in the time. But you know — and so do I.”
Old 07-29-2014   #117
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34647 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All work and no play for JJ Watt

Quote:
You can try to tell yourself that you put in the time. But you know — and so do I.”
classic ...
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014   #118
Raf
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Raf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respected

what a read! JJ's the man! Excellent piece by Robert Mays.
Raf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014   #119
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Great stuff, thanks for posting.
Old 07-29-2014   #120
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

He's playing with their head, too.

What a challenge he's been putting himself through.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read