Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-10-2014   #81
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 396984 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: JJ Watt is a damned decent human being!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
He's a grand stander playing the game for a big contract and looking for media attention for a future career.
Not a popular opinion, but we have to be pragmatic and admit that it is a possibility.

Let's see how popular JJ is next off-season when the team tries to sign him to a new contract.

I have a feeling that many folks that are currently gushing over the guy might feel a little different next season. See AJ for an example of a once mighty hometown hero becoming a zero to many fans.

JJ is going to demand a huge chunk of the salary cap for any team. That contract is going to create an imbalance for whatever team signs him. It's one thing to have that much cap invested in an elite QB, but we have seen time and time again where other positions commanding such a large percentage of cap actually hurts the team.
Old 07-10-2014   #82
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Not a popular opinion, but we have to be pragmatic and admit that it is a possibility.

Let's see how popular JJ is next off-season when the team tries to sign him to a new contract.

I have a feeling that many folks that are currently gushing over the guy might feel a little different next season. See AJ for an example of a once mighty hometown hero becoming a zero to many fans.

JJ is going to demand a huge chunk of the salary cap for any team. That contract is going to create an imbalance for whatever team signs him. It's one thing to have that much cap invested in an elite QB, but we have seen time and time again where other positions commanding such a large percentage of cap actually hurts the team.
My opinion of A.J. hasn't slipped at all.. Reason why I've barely even clicked on that thread. (That and I don't feel like reading pages of derailed bull****).

Point was.. Watt doesn't have to be a disingenuous media where in order to secure a big contract or a job outside of football. That's what lesser talents like Eric Winston have to resort to so people don't forget their name. All Watt has to do is keep having the type of seasons and production he has been having and all will be taken care of.

Why do people have to be so jaded? Maybe he is just really that focused and enjoys giving back (Berry kids ect.)
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014   #83
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Damn, nobody got that was mocking fans who think they are mind readers and who readily turn on players.
Old 07-10-2014   #84
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 396984 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
My opinion of A.J. hasn't slipped at all.. Reason why I've barely even clicked on that thread. (That and I don't feel like reading pages of derailed bull****).

Point was.. Watt doesn't have to be a disingenuous media where in order to secure a big contract or a job outside of football. That's what lesser talents like Eric Winston have to resort to so people don't forget their name. All Watt has to do is keep having the type of seasons and production he has been having and all will be taken care of.

Why do people have to be so jaded? Maybe he is just really that focused and enjoys giving back (Berry kids ect.)
I like JJ, and from what I can tell, he's the guy we think he is.

My point was more about the fickle attitude of some fans when it pertains to the business side of professional sports.

At the end of the day, JJ will rightfully want to get paid. If there is any delay in that contract, or if he decides to go to another team, some fans will be unable to see past the business side of things and will make it personal.

Not me, though, as I tend to be like you and do not let my emotions form my opinions.

Quote:
Damn, nobody got that was mocking fans who think they are mind readers and who readily turn on players.
I figured your post was satirical in nature and just used it to piggy-back a bigger picture point. The sad part is that your satire will ultimately prove to be prophetic if JJ's contract negotiations hit a snag or he goes somewhere else.
Old 07-10-2014   #85
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
IC, ya's din't see the popcorn. C'mon Man! (in my best Chris Carter crowvoice)

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014   #86
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

Seriously, I wouldn't expect anything less from Watt
DUDE!! I haven't had a pee that strong in YEARS!!
Old 07-10-2014   #87
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Lance Berkman once told me on air that fans like me were terrible fans whenever he became (after a short stint in NY) a Cardinal....

I reminded him that I was a fan of my team. The name on the front of the jersey... NOT the BACK of the jersey..

There are two exceptions to my rule, though....... That was Earl & Nolan. Thanks Adams and McMullen!!

*EDIT*

Maybe three...... Was Hakeem a one-time Toronto Raptor? That nightmare wakes me up on occasion.

In any event the City of Houston and Harris County should require that ALL Houston sports teams automatically retire the #34!

Jonathan Wells? Really??!?
Old 07-11-2014   #88
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
In any event the City of Houston and Harris County should require that ALL Houston sports teams automatically retire the #34!
I agree, man. I've said it for years that the Texans should retire #34 as sacred to Houston, as an honor to the three HoF players that wore that number in Houston, and as a sign of respect to the fans of this city.
Old 07-11-2014   #89
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

#34 was a great runner but he couldn't block or catch the ball, and he was a fumbler, carrying the ball in one hand at arm's length from his body. Remember the time he lost a won game at Oakland when he could have reeled the ball in and walked into the end zone? The last defender thought, "I can't get to him, but maybe I can get a hand on the ball he's holding at arm's length toward me." So he lunged and swung at the ball and Charles Phillips recovered and ran it back 98 yards for a Raiders TD.
Walter Payton was a far more valuable running back.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014   #90
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

this should be fun.
Old 07-12-2014   #91
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 172517 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
#34 was a great runner but he couldn't block or catch the ball, and he was a fumbler, carrying the ball in one hand at arm's length from his body. Remember the time he lost a won game at Oakland when he could have reeled the ball in and walked into the end zone? The last defender thought, "I can't get to him, but maybe I can get a hand on the ball he's holding at arm's length toward me." So he lunged and swung at the ball and Charles Phillips recovered and ran it back 98 yards for a Raiders TD.
Walter Payton was a far more valuable running back.
I'll be nice and say I agree with everything you said after the Walter Peyton opinion.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get as far away from you as possible. It's Friday night and the people that will be shooting at you for your post may have been drinking.
Old 07-12-2014   #92
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 81737 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's a grand stander playing the game for a big contract and looking for media attention for a future career.
Then he's going about it the right way, unlike some others who shall remain nameless.
New fan of #21 Kendrick Lewis and #94 Ryan Pickett. ps I just realized why, they TACKLE!

Luke 23:34 Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014   #93
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm actually getting anxious. i truly cant wait for some of our more veteran members (cak, vinny, DB, eriadoc, etc) to wake up and see this. i can understand the comment about carrying the ball away from his body, but the rest is just ... damn. and earl had fewer fumbles than sweetness over their first 4-5 years. i was just a baby when earl was running wild but it takes 30 seconds to realize that earl's prime was another world - the bears' great never hit 1900+ yards rushing.
Old 07-12-2014   #94
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 81737 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i'm actually getting anxious. i truly cant wait for some of our more veteran members (cak, vinny, DB, eriadoc, etc) to wake up and see this. i can understand the comment about carrying the ball away from his body, but the rest is just ... damn. and earl had fewer fumbles than sweetness over their first 4-5 years. i was just a baby when earl was running wild but it takes 30 seconds to realize that earl's prime was another world - the bears' great never hit 1900+ yards rushing.
Earl was a man playing against boys from the first time I saw him at Tyler John Tyler till he became a mere mortal in New Orleans.
New fan of #21 Kendrick Lewis and #94 Ryan Pickett. ps I just realized why, they TACKLE!

Luke 23:34 Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014   #95
Scooter
Funky

to keep us relatively on topic, i take issue with those who are saying watt is anything other than upstanding off the field because of someone's personal judgement. if he doesnt have time to sign your face, or isnt interested in the girl hitting on him "i can tell you first hand that he's an ass". well, i'd be an ass 8 days a week too if between my charity drives, hidden good deeds, time with my family, and daily chores i managed to neglect someone.

Last edited by Scooter; 07-12-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014   #96
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's an obvious attempt to troll. Why bother responding?
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014   #97
Scooter
Funky

because i was completely hammered when writing that and would've enjoyed a troll thrashing with some nostalgia thrown in lol.
Old 07-12-2014   #98
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 52823 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
because i was completely hammered when writing that and would've enjoyed a troll thrashing with some nostalgia thrown in lol.
Scoot you been drinking and posting again?

Old 07-12-2014   #99
Scooter
Funky

what, me? never!

take away my drunk nonsense and my post count would be at about 28 lol.
Old 07-12-2014   #100
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You could be right but I'll give him this much, he plays the game - on the field and off - at an all star level.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read