Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-11-2012   #1
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 59150 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Does Wade Phillips = Fool's Gold?

I have been looking up stats on teams that Wade Phillips has coached as a defensive coordinator and maybe noticed a pattern...

His first year, he starts out hot and gets some of his defense in the top 5-10-15 and he looks like a genius. The following year, his defenses looks suspect especially in the Passing yards on defense. It fluctuates, some for the better, some for the worse...

Look I get that the Texans would not be where they are without his help, but what has changed from last year to this year? Personnel, on defense, only changed a little.

Did Ryans really mean that much to this defense?

Is Wade's scheme being figured out by teams and is now being exploited?

Is it injuries?

the secondary has gone from looking like Super Bowl caliber to 2010 caliber in a matter of 4-5 weeks...

So what gives?

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Does Wade Phillips = Fool's Gold?

Missing cushing hurt the defense and I guess along with that demeco and him must have opened up barwin and reed

Because our linebackers seem irrevelent in finding the qb
BTW not criticizing the loss of demeco ,we did what we had to.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #3
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

It's a little of everything.... losing Cushing (and and parts of the secondary) certainly doesn't help, we're pretty beat up on that side.

Teams are getting more game film on us week after week, sometimes they find and exploit weaknesses.

Also with all the man coverage yesterday (so I heard, I was drugged up for most of the game LOL), maybe Wade's got a stubborn streak in him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

This was brought up before the season if I remember correctly.
Old 12-11-2012   #5
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 14263 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

before wade the defense gave up points and yards to everybody, now it just gives up points and yards to good qb's.

i do think he overachieved with this defense tho.

remember when we first found out that he was the new d coordinator and we said if he could make the defense at least average to go along with our "prolific" offense we'd be in good shape?
Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #6
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade runs a high risk high reward defense using the strength of our defense, the front 7. If we don't get to the QB throw his timing off, we've got problems. Our entire defense is about gettng to the QB and making him mess up.

We got one sack last night and Tom Brady is the coolest customer in the business.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #7
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 25182 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not one to go the injury route. Do they hurt? Yes, of course. But every team has injuries especially at this point of year. It is why you build a 53-man roster and not a 22-man one.

The thing that stands out is we're not adjusting to the personnel or production. Man coverage is okay when you have a consistent pass rush. We haven't had one for quite a bit this season. Or more bluntly...ever since teams decided to double and slide protection toward J.J. Watt. So if your pass rush isn't strong (other than one guy) and you run man to man then you are going to get screwed in the end when facing a QB worthwhile.

I would not say Wade is fool's gold though. He seems a bit stubborn about the coverage but he could adjust it still. He's one of the better defensive coordinators in the league and I will take that over the Frank Bush's of the world. But at the same time he doesn't walk on water like many try to push. Heck, I think the best defensive coordinator is in Pittsburgh and I wish sometimes Wade would follow Lebeau in mixing up the coverages more.

But he has time to adjust and make some changes where he sees fit. After the showings we have had against the pass 3 out of the past 4 weeks something will have to register and he'll make changes. At least I hope. Still a good defensive coach and there are probably only a few I would take ahead of him...if that many.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-11-2012   #8
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Once he realizes sending the house and running man coverage every time does not work against elite QBs, especially if the pass rush is as ineffective as it has been outside of #99, he'll be fine. Our pass rush was great last year with roughly the same personnel, I have no idea what is wrong with it.
Old 12-11-2012   #9
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 14263 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Our pass rush was great last year with roughly the same personnel, I have no idea what is wrong with it.
imo it looks like the same defense except we're playing better qb's.

the pass rush has shown up this year......just against teams that don't spread the texans out and throw a bunch

brees and the saints dropped 40 on em last year and i distinctively remember the pass rush not being there that game.
Old 12-11-2012   #10
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Texan View Post
imo it looks like the same defense except we're playing better qb's.

the pass rush has shown up this year......just against teams that don't spread the texans out and throw a bunch

brees and the saints dropped 40 on em last year and i distinctively remember the pass rush not being there that game.
I expect the elite QBs to do decent against us. But they shouldn't be dropping 4-6 TDs every game with mostly easy passes and clean pockets all night.
Old 12-11-2012   #11
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think so.

I think our defense just has holes. No other Pass rushers and also...I love Manning and Quinn but we can improve there. Most teams that play well against elite QBs have ball-hawking great safeties.

In fact, if I were to pick "If you could draft another star at any position, which would it be?" I'd choose safety.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #12
FR0497
Rookie

Rep Power: 269 FR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respected

It has been said here and the numerous other threads about this game but I'm going to say it again.....this man coverage is getting us destroyed. Wade said he hopes to play Green Bay again because of the shaft he took the last game and this is how he makes up for it? By running the same exact defense against another elite QB? I sure hope he's not showing his full hand because if he brings this to the playoffs we will be one and done. He'll have his only chance to make up for these embarassments and that stage will be bigger than anything in the regular season.

And yes I know our O was beyond pathetic, but I blinked and we were already down 21-0.
FR0497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #13
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I expect the elite QBs to do decent against us. But they shouldn't be dropping 4-6 TDs every game with mostly easy passes and clean pockets all night.
i agree.

so frustrating know that on 3rd and long opposing qb's will have a picnic then get a first down with ease like it's nothing
Old 12-11-2012   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
I have been looking up stats on teams that Wade Phillips has coached as a defensive coordinator and maybe noticed a pattern...
Lets say after we gave up the three touchdowns to the Pats our offense scored every time they touched the ball.

We have 4 possessions before the half. If our offense got 3 TDs & a field goal, we take the lead.

If we get that stop to start the 3rd Qtr that we did, score another TD against the twenty-something ranked defense, we go up by 10.

We're talking about a totally different game. Chances are they don't allow the remaining three touchdowns, chances are we are in that game.

None of that happened. If my Aunt had nuts, she'd be my uncle. I get all that. But we're talking about the Defense. They started flat. But they turned it on & got the stops they needed. Wade's defense isn't fools gold, but it's not going to win games against the #1 scoring offense in the league with no help from the offense.

That's just unreasonable.

& this is with scrubs. This is what we wanted a real DC for, to be able to make these kinds of adjustments during the season, during games.

What Kubiak had been able to do with his offense.

But last night...... we were talking about Bellichick coached teams vs Wade's defense. We didn't see that at all. That was Josh McDanieal vs Wade & Wade held his own.

Kubiak's offense vs Bellichick's defense... I think Bill pulled Kubiak's shorts over his head.
Old 12-11-2012   #15
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 4756 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

Our D get punched in the mouth early, but give credit where credit is due. They did eventually clamp down and gave the offense a chance to make it a game. Our offense on the other hand, Schaub especially...
chenjy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #16
conundrum
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 conundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't believe some you are giving the defense a pass of some sort. Doesn't matter how well our offense played if we give up 42pts in the playoffs we lose.
conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by conundrum View Post
Can't believe some you are giving the defense a pass of some sort. Doesn't matter how well our offense played if we give up 42pts in the playoffs we lose.
If our offense did it's job we wouldn't give up 42 pts.
Old 12-11-2012   #18
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 19109 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Was thinking same thing, best way to beat the New England Tom Brady's is to keep him off the field. Texans offense could not stay on the field at all, consistently.
Old 12-11-2012   #19
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 25182 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Honestly, that is guess work as we don't know what would have happened if the offense scored. Did they play badly? Yes. Worse unit out there. But the point is the defense did not play good either so saying they get a pass because they made a few stops AFTER going down 21 points, on the road, against a contender with an elite coach/quarterback is just a reach.

Just like I said in another post that it changes the offensive playcalling down 21-0. Someone cited the run/pass ratio was close....yes, it was. Overall. After going down 21-0 the ratio was basically 2:1 before Kubes went in 'I quit' mode with 14+ minutes in the 4th. Not counting the passing plays where there was a penalty:

25 passes
10 runs

Do we really believe that was gameplan? Yes, Kubes ran the ball at times during our attempt of a comeback (foolishly) but not nearly as much as he went in pass mode. That happened because we were down 21-0. So yes, defense shoulders some blame as well. You don't hear any defender saying they did good. Wade sure as heck didn't say it.

“Obviously, I didn’t do enough game-plan-wise against the guy,” defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said. “It doesn’t feel like you have more wins than New England right now.”

They rebounded a bit but unfortunately you don't go down 21 against a team like the Pats and expect it to come out smelling like roses. The defense needs some adjusting. Simple as that. Not a bad thing to say. We have been torched in 3 of our 4 last games defensively. The defense can rebound and play a game where they hold more control than that. Just a matter of adjustments that are needed.

Not to mention a 50% 3rd down conversion percentage for the Pats didn't help either. All facets stunk. No passes to any unit.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #20
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Brady failed to convert on 3rd and 6 on the first drive, but the ref called Harris for a bogus PI (at worst) and ticky-tacky (at best).

Welker actually pulled Harris into his body to get the call.
Smart play, but unsportsman-like tactic.

KJ failed to get that fumble.

Then Bradie James got beat on a quick out.
He needed to play that route; there were safety help for all the other routes.
He's just not good enough in pass coverage.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read