Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-11-2012   #1
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 36799 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected
Unhappy Is that smoke I smell?

I realize that there are already a gazillion threads about other people's views on the game last night--so, what the heck, let's add one more.

1.) I'm a Texans fan through and through, first and foremost--so please don't flame me if you don't agree. These are only my thoughts; my views and $17 will get you a grande mochacino at Starbucks. I realize that many will disagree, and that's cool. Just show me where there's a breakdown in my logic.

2.) Let's start at the top: KUBIAK
Kubes has a reputation for trying to out think the entire room. Well, tonight he met his match. This was supposed to be a battle of wits, it resembled more of the Wizard vs the Nitwit! Kubiak has proved that HE isn't ready to coach at the next level. He had the opportunity of his coaching career to roll into Foxboro and steam roll one of the best coaches (and teams) in modern history. Kubiak is heralded by many to be an offensive jugernaut, but I feel (and have felt for sometime now) that Kubiak can't get out of his own way. All coaches try to do different things from week to week; keep the other guy on their toes. Problem I see is that it seems more like Kubes doesn't really know what he wants to do from week to week. Seems like it's his own guys that are kept off-balance. Let's face it guys, when the commentators can predict the play before it happens and says, "You could almost see that one coming..." it's pretty sad.

3.) Next on the agenda: SCHAUB
Plenty have criticized Matt for quite a long time now for not being clutch. It's no secret that I'm not a huge Schaub fan. He is not an elite QB and never will be. Does he put up big number? Yes. Does he do it impressively? Absolutely not! Elite QB's can do it against elite defenses. When it's the 4th qtr, THEY want the ball. You can look into their eyes and they exude confidence. The only thing that Schaub exudes is MY NEED for a valium! I've watched him for the past 3 yrs throw pass after pass after pass: behind receivers, off their shoe tops, and over their heads--only to have receivers make spectacular catches that made him look like a hero. I've always suspected that Matt would run into some big problems with well orchestrated defenses; and he is. I attribute his success much more due to his weapons than his own ability. He wasn't even really being pressured that much last night imo, and he looked unsteady and indecisive.

4.) Next up: D-LINE
Do we even have one?? I mean come on fellas--JJ can't do this crap all by himself! Barwin = SUCKS! Antonio is lukewarm & cold running water at best. Nobody else does ANYTHING! I understand that JJ makes the other guys look "less than," but for pete's sake--didn't we sign NFL caliber linemen?? Aren't we paying them? Isn't this their job? JJ draws a double team and nobody can shuck a block?! That's not gonna cut it in the playoffs against quality teams that are better than us. Seems like the loss of Cushing was infinetely more impactful than we anticipated. Or at least it's more than I anticipated. I saw us as a well oiled machine, and that we'd be able to overcome one player. Seems that his leadership on the field really is indespensable.

5.) The saddest corner of the roster: SPECIAL TEAMS
We suck! Plain and simple! We make some of the most horendous decisions of any team that I watch week-in and week-out. We give up too many big plays. Period. We don't block. We don't tackle (except Brahma). We don't hit the gaps...because there are no gaps to hit. This is the only area of the Texans that I truly have nothing good to say.

6.) Just say it: SECONDARY
We've been getting TORCHED. When we go up against top tier QBs, they don't even have to work that hard to make us look like the Four Stooges! Brady, Rodgers & Manning (yeah, yeah I know we got the W vs Denver) ate us alive! Yes I know that injuries played a part in where we are today--but it seems like that bug gets us every single year.

7.) And yes, I'm gonna go there: WADE
If I get flamed it's gonna be here I suspect. I have been so pleased with what Wade has done with our D, ever since he got here. But for the last 4 games or so, it seems as if he's getting out coached. His schemes seem unoriginal and very much lacking. I realize that he lost a key player in Cushing; but the way folks talked about Wade--he would take us to the Super Bowl even if all he had was practice squad scrubs! Well, evidently not! There's no doubt that Wade is one of the top defensive minds in the game, but his D isn't getting it done down the stretch. Yes, I know that wins are wins--but anyone with an eye for football can tell that despite those wins, there are GLARING holes in our defense that it seems as if he's ill-equipped to fill. The last few weeks Wade's defensive plans have looked very VANILLA. It almost seems like he's playing catch-up from jump. I believe that the hurry-up offense is one of his biggest hinderances. No. I believe that the hurry-up offense is gonna be our demise, IF Wade can't get things figured out. The hurry-up is the cure for the crafty / tricky schemes and blitz packages. They don't have time to get set up and don't have time to develop. Our defense is set up for success based on pressuring the QB--and the hurry-up package combined with a QB w/a quick release pretty much renders our defense average at best, and ineffective at worst. The times that we get pressure on the QB is when they hold the ball too long.

In CONCLUSION:
There are other things that I could point out, just as all the rest of you could. These are my points and jmo.

There's no doubt in my mind that we ARE one of the best teams in the league. Not because of our record--but because I believe that we DO have two of the best coaches around (Kubiak on O and Wade on D), but the question is: CAN WE OVERCOME OUR WEAKNESSES that have become glaring to the entire football world? We can't afford to hang our hats on the fact that we might get lucky in the playoffs by drawing homefield advantage. It's not enough! We've got the Colts for 2 of the next 3 weeks--and they are RED HOT! The old "we'll bounce back after a terrible loss" doesn't work in the PLAYOFFS, guys. We've gotta bounce first! Can we do it? I believe that we can and I hope that we will.

I'm not calling for anyone to be fired or replaced. I'm calling for the baddest boys on the block to GET TO WORK and
GET US A CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Special Thanks to False Start for the awesome sig! U Rock!
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is that smoke I smell?

I don't think this team can beat an elite QB in the playoffs, so I'm kind of in it-doesn't-matter-anyway mode. Having said that, I don't see where Indy is so hot (yet). They could still beat us in their house, though, and I can just see NE getting the tie-breaker over us. That's OK, because it will look better if we lose to them in NE, instead of in our house.

I have no faith whatsoever that this team can beat Brady, Manning, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, etc. Next year, that will include Luck; enjoy your next 15 years...

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #3
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 119552 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Disagree .... his receivers put up big numbers by adjusting to his under-thrown, overthrown, and errant passes. Sure he gets the stat line and people love to use those stats to defend him, but the eye test shows you that Matt is an incredibly inaccurate QB who makes poor throws and poor decisions.

This franchise should have QB as priority #1 next year either in the draft to develop for a year then hand over the reigns or in FA to take control from camp.
Ummmm that's exactly what he said if u had continued to read....
Old 12-11-2012   #4
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91871 Cerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Disagree .... his receivers put up big numbers by adjusting to his under-thrown, overthrown, and errant passes. Sure he gets the stat line and people love to use those stats to defend him, but the eye test shows you that Matt is an incredibly inaccurate QB who makes poor throws and poor decisions.

This franchise should have QB as priority #1 next year either in the draft to develop for a year then hand over the reigns or in FA to take control from camp.
When it comes down to it, I really think there are only two 'elite' QB's in the NFL and that would be Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Sure you could make an argument for Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Eli Manning, and a couple others, but I think only Manning and Brady are truly elite in the sense they can do what Manning is doing in Denver. A QB that immediately makes everyone else on the team better. With that said, Schaub is not an elite QB, but for those wishing him to be replaced: be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.
Old 12-11-2012   #5
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 66454 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Not saying there aren't some problems because there are, and I'm as upset/pissed as anyone else about last night's performance, but at the end of the day this team's only 2 losses this season are to 2 pretty damn good football teams with 2 pretty damn good QBs.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #6
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Not saying there aren't some problems because there are, and I'm as upset/pissed as anyone else about last night's performance, but at the end of the day this team's only 2 losses this season are to 2 pretty damn good football teams with 2 pretty damn good QBs.
Agreed. In fact, those two QBs just generally play lights-out anytime they face what they deem to be very tough competition. They get caught up in trap games all the time, such as the Patriots taking the Cardinals too lightly.

And the Patriots have not won their three remaining games yet.

I will enjoy the drama of the final three weeks. It's coming down to the wire, and makes for good entertainment. I expect the Texans to get a whole new attitude because of this loss. Win out, and bring the Pats back to Reliant for the AFCC game. With a whole different outcome. You can't make better TV programming than that right there. Right?
Old 12-11-2012   #7
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 119552 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Agreed. In fact, those two QBs just generally play lights-out anytime they face what they deem to be very tough competition. They get caught up in trap games all the time, such as the Patriots taking the Cardinals too lightly.

I will enjoy the drama of the final three weeks. It's coming down to the wire, and makes for good entertainment. I expect the Texans to get a whole new attitude because of this loss. Win out, and bring the Pats back to Reliant for the AFCC game. With a whole different outcome. You can't make better TV programming than that right there. Right?
I agree a rematch in the playoffs between us and the pats after last night would be epic. Kinda glad we lost TBH I like our chances of beating the pats more once than twice. And the next time we play will matter more than last nights game. We will see them again and beat them when it counts !!!!
Old 12-11-2012   #8
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 36799 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
And that's part of the problem...
It's not just our defense.
It's our offense too. We couldn't move the ball. Schaub is responsible for moving the ball and he didn't get it done. He was as flat as a pancake. Devoid of enthusiasm like Rodgers...Brady...Manning...or any of the rest. Rodgers does the "discount double check" when he scores a TD. What would Schaub's be? A curtsy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

I feel ya GP. But with very few exceptions: Cushing, Watt, Foster; I just don't see that "get up & stomp some tail" kind of intensity out of these guys. I mean, did losing Cushing pour cold water over our defense like it seems to have? I just don't see the "let's take up the slack and kick butt for Cush" kinda intensity. Do you? Can these guys really "get up" for a game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I agree a rematch in the playoffs between us and the pats after last night would be epic. Kinda glad we lost TBH I like our chances of beating the pats more once than twice. And the next time we play will matter more than last nights game. We will see them again and beat them when it counts !!!!
Dude, don't try to make yourself feel better...

LAST NIGHT MATTERED!!!

Last night mattered BIG TIME. It mattered to our team. It mattered to our fanbase. It mattered to the city of Houston and the rest of the football world. Don't fool yourself Ellis--->last night mattered! "Who are the Houston Texans" is the question that was on everybody's mind coming into last night. Monday Night Football w/a national television audience, against one of the best teams in the league and we looked like a laughing stock...without exception. Remember, WE are supposed to be one of the best teams in the league. Even Kubiak didn't try to play the "it really doesn't matter and we'll get `em in the playoffs card." Home field could've been on the line last night. In fact, if we slip up and DON'T get homefield throughout--you can bet that last night's flop will be looked back on as the reason.

Yes, yes--as far as "winning in the playoffs" it matters much more. Do you think that Brady & Belicheck are saying to themselves, "Well heck boys, I sure wish the Texans would've won last night because I don't think that we can beat them TWICE!"

Old 12-11-2012   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Brady and Manning will own this team in the playoffs regardless of location.

Homefield advantage is great and all, but it doesn't cover the fact that injuries have weakened this defense to the point of being ineffective against superior QBs.

And Schaub is still untested in the post-season. If it's any way to measure, his performance in prime time games gives me no reason to think he can carry this team on his back. I certainly hope to be proven wrong in that regard.
Old 12-11-2012   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

Homefield advantage is great and all, but it doesn't cover the fact that injuries have weakened this defense to the point of being ineffective against superior QBs.

And Schaub is still untested in the post-season. If it's any way to measure, his performance in prime time games gives me no reason to think he can carry this team on his back. I certainly hope to be proven wrong in that regard.
Sadly...That's exactly how I feel...

Hoping for the best though...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #11
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue View Post
And that's part of the problem...
It's not just our defense.
It's our offense too. We couldn't move the ball. Schaub is responsible for moving the ball and he didn't get it done. He was as flat as a pancake. Devoid of enthusiasm like Rodgers...Brady...Manning...or any of the rest. Rodgers does the "discount double check" when he scores a TD. What would Schaub's be? A curtsy!

I feel ya GP. But with very few exceptions: Cushing, Watt, Foster; I just don't see that "get up & stomp some tail" kind of intensity out of these guys. I mean, did losing Cushing pour cold water over our defense like it seems to have? I just don't see the "let's take up the slack and kick butt for Cush" kinda intensity. Do you? Can these guys really "get up" for a game?

Dude, don't try to make yourself feel better...

LAST NIGHT MATTERED!!!

Last night mattered BIG TIME. It mattered to our team. It mattered to our fanbase. It mattered to the city of Houston and the rest of the football world. Don't fool yourself Ellis--->last night mattered! "Who are the Houston Texans" is the question that was on everybody's mind coming into last night. Monday Night Football w/a national television audience, against one of the best teams in the league and we looked like a laughing stock...without exception. Remember, WE are supposed to be one of the best teams in the league. Even Kubiak didn't try to play the "it really doesn't matter and we'll get `em in the playoffs card." Home field could've been on the line last night. In fact, if we slip up and DON'T get homefield throughout--you can bet that last night's flop will be looked back on as the reason.

Yes, yes--as far as "winning in the playoffs" it matters much more. Do you think that Brady & Belicheck are saying to themselves, "Well heck boys, I sure wish the Texans would've won last night because I don't think that we can beat them TWICE!"

Not fooling myself by any means. I think we have the talent to beat them, we were just outcoached last night. We didn't lose due to the patriots talent, hell I wouldn't trade many of our guys for theirs.

Kubiaks inability to adjust and go outside of his comfort zone is what lost us this game. I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he won't make the same mistake twice until he proves me otherwise.
Old 12-11-2012   #12
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

Exactly. People seem to forget that Rogers put a clinic on in Houston. Brady is still Brady outside of Mass
Old 12-11-2012   #13
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 39580 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow! Where have you people been? I'm fairly new to this forum and is a huge Texans fan. So far before this game most of my posts were about the weakness of our D, Schaub unproven and overrated status, Kubiak inept play-calling, and how some of these issues will cost us games against good teams.
And all the replies to my post are something in the line of "Who cares! We won the game. Everything will be alright. You looking this game the wrong way."

For awhile I thought I was in one of those Twilight Zone episode where that guy on the plane saw a monster tearing up the wings engine and no one believes him when he tells about it.
I guess the only good thing about this lost is now I know I'm not completely delusional.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue View Post
I realize that there are already a gazillion threads about other people's views on the game last night--so, what the heck, let's add one more.

1.) I'm a Texans fan through and through, first and foremost--so please don't flame me if you don't agree. These are only my thoughts; my views and $17 will get you a grande mochacino at Starbucks. I realize that many will disagree, and that's cool. Just show me where there's a breakdown in my logic.

2.) Let's start at the top: KUBIAK
Kubes has a reputation for trying to out think the entire room. Well, tonight he met his match. This was supposed to be a battle of wits, it resembled more of the Wizard vs the Nitwit! Kubiak has proved that HE isn't ready to coach at the next level. He had the opportunity of his coaching career to roll into Foxboro and steam roll one of the best coaches (and teams) in modern history. Kubiak is heralded by many to be an offensive jugernaut, but I feel (and have felt for sometime now) that Kubiak can't get out of his own way. All coaches try to do different things from week to week; keep the other guy on their toes. Problem I see is that it seems more like Kubes doesn't really know what he wants to do from week to week. Seems like it's his own guys that are kept off-balance. Let's face it guys, when the commentators can predict the play before it happens and says, "You could almost see that one coming..." it's pretty sad.

3.) Next on the agenda: SCHAUB
Plenty have criticized Matt for quite a long time now for not being clutch. It's no secret that I'm not a huge Schaub fan. He is not an elite QB and never will be. Does he put up big number? Yes. Does he do it impressively? Absolutely not! Elite QB's can do it against elite defenses. When it's the 4th qtr, THEY want the ball. You can look into their eyes and they exude confidence. The only thing that Schaub exudes is MY NEED for a valium! I've watched him for the past 3 yrs throw pass after pass after pass: behind receivers, off their shoe tops, and over their heads--only to have receivers make spectacular catches that made him look like a hero. I've always suspected that Matt would run into some big problems with well orchestrated defenses; and he is. I attribute his success much more due to his weapons than his own ability. He wasn't even really being pressured that much last night imo, and he looked unsteady and indecisive.

4.) Next up: D-LINE
Do we even have one?? I mean come on fellas--JJ can't do this crap all by himself! Barwin = SUCKS! Antonio is lukewarm & cold running water at best. Nobody else does ANYTHING! I understand that JJ makes the other guys look "less than," but for pete's sake--didn't we sign NFL caliber linemen?? Aren't we paying them? Isn't this their job? JJ draws a double team and nobody can shuck a block?! That's not gonna cut it in the playoffs against quality teams that are better than us. Seems like the loss of Cushing was infinetely more impactful than we anticipated. Or at least it's more than I anticipated. I saw us as a well oiled machine, and that we'd be able to overcome one player. Seems that his leadership on the field really is indespensable.

5.) The saddest corner of the roster: SPECIAL TEAMS
We suck! Plain and simple! We make some of the most horendous decisions of any team that I watch week-in and week-out. We give up too many big plays. Period. We don't block. We don't tackle (except Brahma). We don't hit the gaps...because there are no gaps to hit. This is the only area of the Texans that I truly have nothing good to say.

6.) Just say it: SECONDARY
We've been getting TORCHED. When we go up against top tier QBs, they don't even have to work that hard to make us look like the Four Stooges! Brady, Rodgers & Manning (yeah, yeah I know we got the W vs Denver) ate us alive! Yes I know that injuries played a part in where we are today--but it seems like that bug gets us every single year.

7.) And yes, I'm gonna go there: WADE
If I get flamed it's gonna be here I suspect. I have been so pleased with what Wade has done with our D, ever since he got here. But for the last 4 games or so, it seems as if he's getting out coached. His schemes seem unoriginal and very much lacking. I realize that he lost a key player in Cushing; but the way folks talked about Wade--he would take us to the Super Bowl even if all he had was practice squad scrubs! Well, evidently not! There's no doubt that Wade is one of the top defensive minds in the game, but his D isn't getting it done down the stretch. Yes, I know that wins are wins--but anyone with an eye for football can tell that despite those wins, there are GLARING holes in our defense that it seems as if he's ill-equipped to fill. The last few weeks Wade's defensive plans have looked very VANILLA. It almost seems like he's playing catch-up from jump. I believe that the hurry-up offense is one of his biggest hinderances. No. I believe that the hurry-up offense is gonna be our demise, IF Wade can't get things figured out. The hurry-up is the cure for the crafty / tricky schemes and blitz packages. They don't have time to get set up and don't have time to develop. Our defense is set up for success based on pressuring the QB--and the hurry-up package combined with a QB w/a quick release pretty much renders our defense average at best, and ineffective at worst. The times that we get pressure on the QB is when they hold the ball too long.

In CONCLUSION:
There are other things that I could point out, just as all the rest of you could. These are my points and jmo.

There's no doubt in my mind that we ARE one of the best teams in the league. Not because of our record--but because I believe that we DO have two of the best coaches around (Kubiak on O and Wade on D), but the question is: CAN WE OVERCOME OUR WEAKNESSES that have become glaring to the entire football world? We can't afford to hang our hats on the fact that we might get lucky in the playoffs by drawing homefield advantage. It's not enough! We've got the Colts for 2 of the next 3 weeks--and they are RED HOT! The old "we'll bounce back after a terrible loss" doesn't work in the PLAYOFFS, guys. We've gotta bounce first! Can we do it? I believe that we can and I hope that we will.

I'm not calling for anyone to be fired or replaced. I'm calling for the baddest boys on the block to GET TO WORK and
GET US A CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Good post Will now let me disagree rather than flaming you. I'm not disagreeing on how you eval that game as it was pretty accurate. First mistake (?) imo is you and others are trying to compare Schaub and Texans to elite teams like GB & NE and we just do not compare. More importantly that is okay. We are not yet deep enough to lose starters & plug in solid backups. Scurrying to find street guys like Bradie James, Ruud and Routt highlite this.

Schaub is no Aaron or Peyton or Brady but he does not have to be; see 11-2 record. He just needs his keys like AJ to do a bit better (now watch me get flamed lol) 8/95 is ridiculous from Johnson. He allowed Talib of all folks to cover him. More importantly, Walter and OD did little to help him. Why weren't plays called more for Jean deep to open up mid range for AJ? Yes Gary was outcoached but he is not first to win that distinction against Pats.

Wade's scheme calls for good Nose and very good LBs. If Cody had not hurt his back & then his ribs, he might be more solid; not good but solid. It took a bit longer for Bradie James to come on but then Cush went out. If we had Cush, our CBs would not look so off last night. Joseph is not 90% but what killed us imo was Brandon Harris. He looked like a second year KJ. I'm going positive & say he will continue like KJ in his third season next year. If we are going to allow KJ some slack why not B.Harris?

This team has done very well last two seasons with key starters injured. We just need to keep drafting well & picking up cheap FAs.

In summary, we are a good but not great team. Will we beat NE in Championship? Maybe. We need to continue to heal and not lose anyone else. Matt and Gary and Wade need to drink a beer and chill.

2013 NFL draft is looking mighty tasty; if things fall just right we can address all of our more pressing needs.
Old 12-11-2012   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Exactly. People seem to forget that Rogers put a clinic on in Houston. Brady is still Brady outside of Mass
I think people are forgetting that those weren't the only two QB's to have good days or better days than they had been having against us...

See, if we were to play Lions or Bears or teams like that again, I'm not sold that we beat them again...

If we were to play the Patriots again, I think they'd beat us again. Maybe not by that big of a margin, but I just don't see how we compete with them considering how we played last night.
Old 12-11-2012   #16
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think people are forgetting that those weren't the only two QB's to have good days or better days than they had been having against us...

See, if we were to play Lions or Bears or teams like that again, I'm not sold that we beat them again...

If we were to play the Patriots again, I think they'd beat us again. Maybe not by that big of a margin, but I just don't see how we compete with them considering how we played last night.
Let's be honest: we LOST the Detroit game.
If not for a fluke call from the refs--we're sitting at 10-3 w/2 games to play against a red hot Colts team. And you're right, if we slip a hair more we're at 9-4 after a potential loss to the Bears. But I won't balk at the Bears game--it was nasty and we fought and scrapped the whole way. Kudos to the fellas for pulling that one out.

So my question is: are we really a 9-4 team dressed in an 11-2 suit? We sure have been playing like it, imo.

Old 12-11-2012   #17
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 145735 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Easy answer? We don't turn the ball over and recover the ones we force. That was an easy 21-point swing over 2 fumbles & 1 pick.
Old 12-11-2012   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
Wow! Where have you people been? I'm fairly new to this forum and is a huge Texans fan. So far before this game most of my posts were about the weakness of our D, Schaub unproven and overrated status, Kubiak inept play-calling, and how some of these issues will cost us games against good teams.
And all the replies to my post are something in the line of "Who cares! We won the game. Everything will be alright. You looking this game the wrong way."

For awhile I thought I was in one of those Twilight Zone episode where that guy on the plane saw a monster tearing up the wings engine and no one believes him when he tells about it.
I guess the only good thing about this lost is now I know I'm not completely delusional.
It's always been there under the surface. This forum has a long memory, which is why you see a "fire Kubiak" thread started in 2009 pop up.

For the most part, folks were willing to overlook the obvious flaws when the team is winning. But HOW they lost two games reveals some deep fundamental problems with this team. And that fresh pimp slap last night just refreshed some old nagging injuries in the fan base.

You might see a tendency for a lot more koolaide baths in the coming weeks if the team pumps out 2-3 wins. Winning is fun and sort of acts like a painkiller. But painkillers only mask. They are not a cure.

Quote:

I agree. Last night's beat down was not that much of a surprise to those of us that have been concerned by the performances posted by some rather mediocre QBs against this defense. We have been fortunate with some gutsy performances, an offense that got hot at the right time, and some lucky breaks. But, it was never lost on the pragmatic folks that a great defense never let's a Chad Henne-type look fantastic.
Old 12-11-2012   #19
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 118532 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

It was a bad game, but people are really overreacting. I don't think people appreciate the role that momentum plays in competition.

The Texans came in with a plan they wanted to accomplish and they got punched in the mouth. They were reeling for a few series, but you could tell they were fighting for that momentum shifting play that could reset the fight and get things back on track.

Things just never fell into place. They got a 3rd down stop -> bogus pass interference call. They force a fumble -> they fail to cover it. They go for the throat with a deep shot at the end zone -> DB makes a great play to intercept the pass.

Sometimes things just seem to fall into place and you can't do anything wrong. You fumble the ball on the goal line and your own team recovers for a TD. A pass bounces off the intended receiver and into the hands of his team mate for a TD. The better things get, the more you build confidence and play loose and relaxed. The Pats had one of those nights.

Sometimes things just seem to fall to pieces and you can't do anything right. You break into the open only to trip over your own feet and fumble the ball. You bounce a ball off a receiver's facemask and it is intercepted for a defensive TD. The worse things get, the more you force them and the more likely things are to get worse. The Texans had one of those nights.

Both teams have been on opposites sides of that situation, sometimes within the same game.

**** happens.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Easy answer? We don't turn the ball over and recover the ones we force. That was an easy 21-point swing over 2 fumbles & 1 pick.
But those things did happen. We made/didn't make the plays needed. You just pointed out three big plays...

1) three big plays is a lot.

2) even if you change those three plays we could still EASILY lose that game.

And that's whats even more disheartening.

Texans can absolutely win in the play offs, but if anyone is confident that they will win the only thing that can be based on is just a good feeling...hope...prayers...

I've yet to see any real reason to think we'd all of a sudden start to play at that level other than any given Sunday...which is code for I wish...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read