Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-11-2012   #61
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pulling the starters is borderline unforgivable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
The Patriots had their death grip on us at that point, much like an anaconda does when it bites it's prey. The rest of the game was them just suffocating us to death.

I never saw much fight in the Texans defense. A couple of three and outs after giving up three easy TDs does not impress me. The Patriots could have made that score a lot higher if they wanted to do so.

21-0 with 30 min to play isnt a death grip and certainly not when your D is in the middle of posting 3 and outs and holding the pats to no points. The defense tightend and the offense had a chance to make a game of it
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #62
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 70974 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
21-0 with 30 min to play isnt a death grip and certainly not when your D is in the middle of posting 3 and outs and holding the pats to no points. The defense tightend and the offense had a chance to make a game of it
Agree the D did a pretty good job , but how long do u expect them to stay on the field and stay fresh. We were down 21 we got 3 straight stops with zero points.
Old 12-11-2012   #63
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278016 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We can agree to disagree. The results speak for itself.

You do realize the Texans never got within a single score during the entire game, yeah?

This is the 10th year in a row that the Patriots have won 10 or more games. It's just business to them.

But for the Texans, it was like a Super Bowl to be on MNF against the Patriots. Makes them feel like little high school kids getting on a yellow bus.

At least they "had a chance to make a game of it". So they've got that going for them, I suppose.
Old 12-11-2012   #64
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Agree the D did a pretty good job , but how long do u expect them to stay on the field and stay fresh. We were down 21 we got 3 straight stops with zero points.

See I could see making the case that after the D had 3 straight 3 and outs and Matt and Co couldnt post points that the D fell off because at that point its somewhat deflating
Old 12-11-2012   #65
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
We can agree to disagree. The results speak for itself.

You do realize the Texans never got within a single score during the entire game, yeah?

I do understand we never got within a single score and Id say that Matt's int was the first cause of the, special teams giving the pats good field pos to allow Tom a short field, a bad PI call on the Texans all played a part. However the D did give the offense a chance to post points and put the game within a score. 3 three and outs by the pats gave us the chance to pull within a TD or less if not tie

Quote:
This is the 10th year in a row that the Patriots have won 10 or more games. It's just business to them.

But for the Texans, it was like a Super Bowl to be on MNF against the Patriots. Makes them feel like little high school kids getting on a yellow bus.

At least they "had a chance to make a game of it". So they've got that going for them, I suppose.

you have to have a chance to make a game of it and then have your offense execute. There is nothing good in looking back and having a chance
Old 12-11-2012   #66
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I know the logic behind it:
Short week. Important divisional game next week. History of injuries. Down by 3+ scores.

But you know what? I don't care. There are 16 games a year in the regular season. And there are only a few epic primetime battles. This happened to be one of those. We basically called the game early in the 4th when we went 4 straight runs and then punted. When we slowed down our huddles presnap. We definitely called it when we pulled our starters and started playing backups.

I know picking up 3 or 4 scores in 1 quarter is next to impossible, but it sure sends a horrible message to our players, our fans, and the nation. Quotes from AJ after the game did not make him sound happy.

Then there's the fact that we will likely face New England in the playoffs if we plan on advancing past the first round. Our starters will have zero confidence because we pulled them at the lowest point. At least give them the opportunity to put up some garbage points to give them some level of confidence. At least give them the time to get additional reps against arguably our greatest competition/threat.

I'm embarrassed to go into work today. I have been talking about this game to all my friends and coworkers here in Boston for the entire year. And we couldn't even finish the game? Why even play the last quarter. Why didn't they just walk off the field. What we did was basically no different.

I can take getting beat. I can take getting beat badly. But tonight I saw something I haven't seen in 2+ years, and that's the loser's attitude. It's taken years to build that winner's culture in Houston and Kubiak risks throwing it all away in the name of self-preservation. Awful.
Thats your emotions talking. Pulling the starters at that point was the only smart thing Kubiak did all night.
Old 12-11-2012   #67
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Foster had a 13 yard run called back at the start of the game.

Jon Gruden can't see how Duane Brown was called for illegal formation; neither can I.

There's nobody else that lined up Improperly either.
I saw that and I just scratched my head; looks like we're in for a long night.

And Gruden couldn't believe the PI calls on Harris and Manning either.
On the Manning call, he even asked that ex-reference (whatever his name is) who works for one if the network now - to confirm his view.

I just knew it wasn't going to be our night.

The Pats don't need any help.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-11-2012   #68
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Another note from the game I think we would be better off fair catching every punt and having no blockers. That's got to be good for 30-60 yards a game
Old 12-11-2012   #69
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Foster had a 13 yard run called back at the start of the game.

Jon Gruden can't see how Duane Brown was called for illegal formation; neither can I.

There's nobody else that lined up Improperly either.
I saw that and I just scratched my head; looks like we're in for a long night.

And Gruden couldn't believe the PI calls on Harris and Manning either.
On the Manning call, he even asked that ex-reference (whatever his name is) who works for one if the network now - to confirm his view.

I just knew it wasn't going to be our night.

The Pats don't need any help.

I think jean had a PI call as well that was iffy
Old 12-11-2012   #70
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Pulling the starters is borderline unforgivable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
This was probably mentioned - but when we're blowing a team out, Kubes says he doesn't want to disrupt Schaub's rhythm.

When we're getting blown out (GB, Pats) it is TJ time.

Has anyone asked him that question in a presser?
Sticking with this.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #71
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278016 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I do understand we never got within a single score and Id say that Matt's int was the first cause of the, special teams giving the pats good field pos to allow Tom a short field, a bad PI call on the Texans all played a part. However the D did give the offense a chance to post points and put the game within a score. 3 three and outs by the pats gave us the chance to pull within a TD or less if not tie
When the offense is struggling to even get into FG range, the defense has to step up and make some plays. Fall on that fumble. Sack Brady. Disrupt something to change the momentum.

But we did not see even a single hint of that with the exception of Watt trying his best to get to Brady.

I told my wife after the second Patriots TD that they just looked like they were going to lose. They had this sort of deflated look to them, exasperation mixed with desperation, and from that point on I became emotionally detached while watching the game. I've seen it before with teams, and they were just getting beat and I did not believe for even a second that the Texans were going to mount any sort of threat to the Patriots.

That is what I was talking about with body language. You don't have to see it. I'm not trying to prove it. But I felt it while watching the game. They looked overwhelmed, like they expected something completely different than the game they were playing.

Quote:
you have to have a chance to make a game of it and then have your offense execute. There is nothing good in looking back and having a chance
I get that, but nothing in this team's DNA has led me to believe that they can mount a comeback on a three score deficit to a championship caliber team led by an elite QB.

I'm not a rain cloud kind of guy. But I'm not going to pump sunshine for the sake of pumping sunshine. I try to be pragmatic about it, and at this point I see a great regular season team that still has a season or two to go before they can stand toe-to-toe with elite teams.
Old 12-11-2012   #72
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166327 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Regardless of potential injuries the guys just plain deserved to get benched. Maybe it will light a fire under some of them maybe it won't but I think Gary was as sick of watching them play as most of us were. Pick up the play in these big games or get a little embarrassed and show off your pouty face on the bench.
This is where my head is at.

They had three quarters and change to show what they're made of and they showed nuthin'...

Get the Eff off the field! Their a$$e$ might not start NEXT week.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #73
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 7520 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldve pulled the starters, I dont see the big deal. Ass getting handed to us, regroup and comeback strong, win out, get HFA and then beat the Pats here since they'll be think it'll be an easy game like last time.
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #74
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Re: Pulling the starters is borderline unforgivable...

I would have pulled them too.....I dont want any injuries that would have hurt our team. PULL THEM ALL I SAY...

You want somebody to come out injured after that?

No question.....no ifs and or buts. I dont care what anybody says......
Have we forgot about how injuries affect this team?

Its one game....Its not the season....some people need to chill....its not the end of the season.....

Smartest thing Kubiak could have done...I would have done it at halfitime....they way they were playing........
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #75
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Didn't Gary say Schaub was his QB and he would play the whole game regardless of the score after the Jags game last yr? Guess he changed his mind.
Yes he did and yeah, I guess he did.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #76
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaJokaa View Post
I wouldve pulled the starters, I dont see the big deal. Ass getting handed to us, regroup and comeback strong, win out, get HFA and then beat the Pats here since they'll be think it'll be an easy game like last time.
Yeap, the NFL is not the BCS where you need style point.

A loss counts as a loss, no matter what the score is.

Get as many wins as you can to get as best of HFA as you can and get ready for the play-offs; that's all that matters.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012   #77
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Answer me this. Down 28 points fighting for HFA do u think the patriots, broncos, greenbay or any champion caliber teams pull their starters ? Or do they adjust and spread the field and "try" to make a come back.

That's the different between champions and want to be champions.
When I see a team give up early, I always think of this quote by legendary heavyweight champion Jack Dempsey:

"A champion is someone who gets up, even when they can't".
Old 12-12-2012   #78
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Let the starters remember the way they felt at the end of that game. Let them remember Brady's smirking face, the referees who helped the other team put poits on the board and every stinking comment made by some "authority" on ESPN about how the "Texans fold when playing 'real' oppoments." and they should use that anger to break the Patriots and anyone else they face in the playoffs in HALF when they get there.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012   #79
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 70974 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
When I see a team give up early, I always think of this quote by legendary heavyweight champion Jack Dempsey:

"A champion is someone who gets up, even when they can't".
Maybe its just in my DNA but I don't believe anything good comes from giving up, if you do how will you ever know what might of happened.

Ask the bills what happens when you don't give up ...
Old 12-12-2012   #80
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65087 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Answer me this. Down 28 points fighting for HFA do u think the patriots, broncos, greenbay or any champion caliber teams pull their starters ? Or do they adjust and spread the field and "try" to make a come back.

That's the different between champions and want to be champions.
Without getting into every post, to me this captures the right feel for what I watched as a neutral fan on Monday.

Also will add every team needs a wakeup call. Be grateful yours came in the regular season.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read