Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-11-2012   #41
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pulling the starters is borderline unforgivable...

I hope the players are mad. They deserve to be manipulated into playing angry this next game.

While I am not happy with the game plan by both our coaches, the players are the ones playing the game. They're the ones not falling on a loose ball and then giving up a TD after that. They're the ones not knowing where to line up. Clowning after a big tackle instead of getting back to the huddle and getting ready.

Like I said: The only thing Kubiak did right was to bench them. Kept them healthy for the remainder of our games, sends a message to them to sit down and think about things. WATCH AND LEARN for a second.
Old 12-11-2012   #42
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 123249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
They practice plays in practice? Thanks for the breaking news

How do you know that AJ wasnt supposed to run 8 yards before the break? Or maybe 9? You know that Gary called for him to break when he did? AJ wasnt the first option either I dont think
The whole point of a slant is get the inside position ona CB with seperation. This why its a time and distance play. Not saying there wasn't other options but 4th and 1 losing by 28 at the 40, why in the hell not go for it ?
Old 12-11-2012   #43
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm betting that Andre Johnson ran the route like he was told to.

Just a wild guess. I think he's got this.
Old 12-11-2012   #44
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
The whole point of a slant is get the inside position ona CB with seperation. This why its a time and distance play. Not saying there wasn't other options but 4th and 1 losing by 28 at the 40, why in the hell not go for it ?

Understand the point of the slant. Its time and distance as you have said so why is it so impossible that the execution of the distance could have been off?
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #45
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 123249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Understand the point of the slant. Its time and distance as you have said so why is it so impossible that the execution of the distance could have been off?
Just assuming our future HOF wr knows the plays and did what he was asked of him.
Old 12-11-2012   #46
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just assuming our future HOF wr knows the plays and did what he was asked of him.

Well I dont really think he is a future HOF yet unless he gets some simpathy votes for just being the best Texans player of all time. But that aside a future hof could possibly be off a yard or two
Old 12-11-2012   #47
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
Ahh good. I'm with you now, sure the receiver ran the route exactly as planned. Shame on Gary! What a numbskull!
Yes. Let all the backup run the bull**** underneath routes and send your #1 past the ****ing chains.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-11-2012   #48
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Well I dont really think he is a future HOF yet unless he gets some simpathy votes for just being the best Texans player of all time. But that aside a future hof could possibly be off a yard or two
If he can play 3 or 4 more seasons and get a few more 1000 yard seasons I thing he will be HOF bound
Old 12-11-2012   #49
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Pulling the starters is borderline unforgivable...

This was probably mentioned - but when we're blowing a team out, Kubes says he doesn't want to disrupt Schaub's rhythm.

When we're getting blown out (GB, Pats) it is TJ time.

Has anyone asked him that question in a presser?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #50
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If he can play 3 or 4 more seasons and get a few more 1000 yard seasons I thing he will be HOF bound
3-4 more 1000+ seasons? Thats a pretty big IF
Old 12-11-2012   #51
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
This was probably mentioned - but when we're blowing a team out, Kubes says he doesn't want to disrupt Schaub's rhythm.

When we're getting blown out (GB, Pats) it is TJ time.

Has anyone asked him that question in a presser?
The rythm of handing the ball off ? Yeah would be terrible if he lost that, well even when we're getting blown out before TJ goes in makes sure to not get Schaub out of his rythm
Old 12-11-2012   #52
Everlong
Rookie

Rep Power: 657 Everlong is a quality contributor and well respectedEverlong is a quality contributor and well respectedEverlong is a quality contributor and well respectedEverlong is a quality contributor and well respectedEverlong is a quality contributor and well respectedEverlong is a quality contributor and well respectedEverlong is a quality contributor and well respectedEverlong is a quality contributor and well respectedEverlong is a quality contributor and well respectedEverlong is a quality contributor and well respectedEverlong is a quality contributor and well respected

Pats fan perspective....

The one I didn't get was they were down 28-7 and had a 4th and 1 on their own 40. Why punt? If you don't make it the game is over but if you punt you've pretty much conceded and might as well pull your starters. I go for it and who cares if the other team scores because you don't convert. That's your last stand. Odds are they weren't coming back but give your guys a shot even if they were 0-2 on 4th down to that point.

Also going into the game I was really afraid of the open bootleg but we never saw it that I can remember.

Any way two cents from the outside.
Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #53
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The score was 35-7 with eight minutes to go in the fourth when Kubiak pulled the starters. The offense had looked pitiful all night. My only complaint is I wanted to see Yates throw some..
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #54
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 396984 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Oh and by the way, you can bet our team leaders agree with me

Quote:
Players stopped short of calling it a white flag, but receiver Andre Johnson and left tackle Duane Brown didn’t love it. They shouldn’t have. It sends a team a bad message to give up at that point. At least go down slinging it.

“I have no control over that,” Johnson said.

“I just line up and do my job,” Brown said.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...-what-it-takes
According to some fans, these players are just whiny little dudes venting and need to suck a pacifier.

Somebody needs to STFU and it ain't you, gtexan. Some folks gotta' defend Kubiak's decisions in spite of what those decisions reveal.
Old 12-11-2012   #55
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Pats fan perspective....

The one I didn't get was they were down 28-7 and had a 4th and 1 on their own 40. Why punt? If you don't make it the game is over but if you punt you've pretty much conceded and might as well pull your starters. I go for it and who cares if the other team scores because you don't convert. That's your last stand. Odds are they weren't coming back but give your guys a shot even if they were 0-2 on 4th down to that point.

Also going into the game I was really afraid of the open bootleg but we never saw it that I can remember.

Any way two cents from the outside.
While I'd like to say that our head coach is a genius and he was intentionally sandbagging the playcalls.....for the purpose of then turning up the heat on you guys in the AFCC.....I don't think our head coach is smart enough to do that.

I mean, I try to logically understand why there were no screens to Owen Daniels. No screens to the RBs. No sweeps, no pitches, very VERY few runs designed to get the edge and leave Wilfork alone in the middle of his own private country he has. No bootlegs. I don't even think I saw a draw play.

In other words: Practically everything we do REALLY well, Gary Kubiak (I suppose) decided you guys would have that stuff scouted and would have prepared so well for it that everything we DON'T do well is what would be open for us against your defense.

I have no clue as to why this team, against the Packers and the Patriots, got so tremendously away form its normal game plans. I mean, I really really want to believe that Kubiak feels we might face the Packers in the Super Bowl and maybe face the Patriots in the AFC Championship game, so he's pulling a rope-a-dope. But then again, he's showed me nothing to give him THAT much credit for such a plan. And such a plan, IMO, is dumb because you need to win HFA throughout the playoffs...so there's no use in trying trickery.

Although this IS the guy who will often outsmart himself when he has a perfectly good way to go about the business of getting first downs and keep moving the ball at will. When we do that, he tends to go bonkers and has a series of calls that really boggle the most basic of football minds here.

Kareem Jackson not falling on that fumble near the goal line, and some timely calls by the refs, got us so deflated that nobody could settle down and do their jobs. Everyone was in "Oh crap" mode. The whole time after that fumble that KJ failed to recover for us. That was the turning point, when you guys scored that TD and then we screwed the pooch again on the next series of our own.
Old 12-11-2012   #56
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
would you have felt better if we had lost by 20ish pts and we had lost any of schaub, aj, od, db, myers, JJ or j-joe etc??

would we have seen you start a thread commending kubiak for not quitting eventhough the game was over?
My thoughts are "If they're going to play like they did last night every time they get in a big game against a high-profile opponent then what does it matter?"

Seriously, these guys just don't get up for big games. They cannot match the intensity or sheer will to win of the better teams. That's why Baltimore just literally has to fall apart due to injuries before we can beat them. That's why Indianapolis owns a 17-3 record against us. The Packers and Patriots are arguably the only two Super Bowl contenders we've played this year. I discount our win against the Broncos because it is universally accepted that Manning hadn't gotten his groove back when we played them. Today I have no doubt that he'd embarrass the Texans like he did in the past with the Colts.

Find any big game against any genuinely contending opponent that needs to win and you'll see a Texans team getting their heads handed to them. Last year's playoff loss to Baltimore is the high-water mark of the Houston Texans playing a quality opponent and that game was littered with Texans gaffs and screw ups.

To my mind the defense gets somewhat of a pass for last night because they get nothing from the offense in games like this. They have their hands full as it is and their injuries are well documented but the offense which is relatively intact (Come on, Ryan Harris for Derek Newton is a wash and Caldwell going to the house is addition through subtraction) just wets itself and sucks its thumb every time they take the field. I mean, if you're not scoring on the Patriot's you're losing. The defense eventually got it's act together and Gary's side of the ball didn't even come up with FG's to show for it.

Going back through Texans Kubiak-History and omitting 2006 to give him the benefit of distance from the David Carr Factor I see

2007 where they basically met or exceeded expectations (which were quite reasonable) going 8-8 in Schaub's first year of starting.

2008 destroyed by Pittsburgh right out of the gate, Rosencoptered against Indianapolis, and obliterated by Baltimore. Another 8-8.

2009 highlights include being sodomized on opening day by the Jets and rookie Mark Sanchez and a questionable win at the end against the Patriots who were already looking to the postseason to get us to 9-7. If the Patriots needed that game they would have taken it and the Texans would have enjoyed a third straight 8-8.

2010 where we get wasted by the Cowboys (a game fans expect to see maximum effort in), crushed by the Giants, and had our poop pushed in by Tim Tebow along with a seemingly never ending series of losses decided by late screw ups.

2011 Finally success interspersed with the Saints hanging 40 on us, The Raiders beating us in our house, Another punking from the Ravens, and losses to Carolina and Dan Orlovsky in Indy (another proud moment in primetime for the Texans).

This year we've had even more success (by one game) but as the stakes get higher the Texans look even more lost when facing contenders. Green Bay and New England wiped their asses with the Texans both on MNF to the delight of the viewing audience.
Old 12-11-2012   #57
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
According to some fans, these players are just whiny little dudes venting and need to suck a pacifier.

Somebody needs to STFU and it ain't you, gtexan. Some folks gotta' defend Kubiak's decisions in spite of what those decisions reveal.
I fail to see where Paul Kuharsky proves that the players were unnerved by playing the bench.

I read the whole blog article, and all I see is two guys saying as little as they can so they don't create unnecessary static that might hang over everyone's heads.

Who is to say the guys were upset solely with the coaching? Could they be upset with themselves? They oughtta' be. Could they be upset with some of their teammates? They should. Should they be upset at the game plan by both their HC and their DC? Yes.

But what I really see is Paul Kuharsky sort of tweaking the quotes and bending things to suit his desire to sell a story. To get clicks. And hell, to have fun with it since he's a diehard Titans fan who really doesn't enjoy the duty of having to say great things about us, for damn sure.

A lot of these commentators wait for a shoe to drop. He obviously doesn't have anything positive to write about his own favorite team, the Titans. So he tries to create non-stories by using quotes that, to me, are not in any shape or form indicative of the full feelings of those players.

Duane Brown didn't have a good game. His man stood way off the line and used that distance to create so much speed that it made Duane commit to outside or inside...it was such a beautiful job by that DE/LB. Duane was having trouble with him all night long. Duane gets his mitts on a dude, it's over. Duane has to track and shuffle and reach for a dude, he can be exploited. Just an observation about his play last night. He can't be happy with how he performed.
Old 12-11-2012   #58
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 396984 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I fail to see where Paul Kuharsky proves that the players were unnerved by playing the bench.
My point was solely to support gtexan02's right to vent after a pathetic loss without all the personal attacks from well established posters that should know better than to be asshats.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the coaches pulling players after obviously quitting the game. They had quit in them after Brady's first TD. The high school bully just laughed at their jackets and stole their lunch money. You could read the body language from that point on. The fight was over in the 1st quarter with the exception of a handful of players.
Old 12-11-2012   #59
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
My point was solely to support gtexan02's right to vent after a pathetic loss without all the personal attacks from well established posters that should know better than to be asshats.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the coaches pulling players after obviously quitting the game. They had quit in them after Brady's first TD. The high school bully just laughed at their jackets and stole their lunch money. You could read the body language from that point on. The fight was over in the 1st quarter with the exception of a handful of players.

I actually think you might have read the body language wrong. The defense tightend up well in the middle of the game after getting punched in the mouth, it was the back up help er offense who never jumped in to throw a punch
Old 12-11-2012   #60
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
I actually think you might have read the body language wrong. The defense tightend up well in the middle of the game after getting punched in the mouth, it was the back up help er offense who never jumped in to throw a punch
The Patriots had their death grip on us at that point, much like an anaconda does when it bites it's prey. The rest of the game was them just suffocating us to death.

I never saw much fight in the Texans defense. A couple of three and outs after giving up three easy TDs does not impress me. The Patriots could have made that score a lot higher if they wanted to do so.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read