Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-11-2012   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Pulling the starters is borderline unforgivable...

I know the logic behind it:
Short week. Important divisional game next week. History of injuries. Down by 3+ scores.

But you know what? I don't care. There are 16 games a year in the regular season. And there are only a few epic primetime battles. This happened to be one of those. We basically called the game early in the 4th when we went 4 straight runs and then punted. When we slowed down our huddles presnap. We definitely called it when we pulled our starters and started playing backups.

I know picking up 3 or 4 scores in 1 quarter is next to impossible, but it sure sends a horrible message to our players, our fans, and the nation. Quotes from AJ after the game did not make him sound happy.

Then there's the fact that we will likely face New England in the playoffs if we plan on advancing past the first round. Our starters will have zero confidence because we pulled them at the lowest point. At least give them the opportunity to put up some garbage points to give them some level of confidence. At least give them the time to get additional reps against arguably our greatest competition/threat.

I'm embarrassed to go into work today. I have been talking about this game to all my friends and coworkers here in Boston for the entire year. And we couldn't even finish the game? Why even play the last quarter. Why didn't they just walk off the field. What we did was basically no different.

I can take getting beat. I can take getting beat badly. But tonight I saw something I haven't seen in 2+ years, and that's the loser's attitude. It's taken years to build that winner's culture in Houston and Kubiak risks throwing it all away in the name of self-preservation. Awful.
Old 12-11-2012   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pulling the starters is borderline unforgivable...

The way he called the game, he should've just took the starters out well before half-time.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #3
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
The way he called the game, he should've just took the starters out well before half-time.
Doesn't matter what you call if the players don't execute.
Surreal McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #4
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
Yes it does. If it's 3rd down and 8 and you call a 7 yard crossing route?

Pulling the starters is hardly unforgivable. Putting in the backups and calling QB SNEAKS?!?!?! Ridiculous. Throw the damn ball and I'll star myself out ****** *********** * * * ****** * ***** * ******** *********** * ** **** ***** ******* ** **** **** ***** ****!!

They have a monkey on their back. It's not winning the big games. Let's even nickname it "Gorilla Monsoon" because when it rains, it pours!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #5
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Ahh good. I'm with you now, sure the receiver ran the route exactly as planned. Shame on Gary! What a numbskull!
Old 12-11-2012   #6
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

would you have felt better if we had lost by 20ish pts and we had lost any of schaub, aj, od, db, myers, JJ or j-joe etc??

would we have seen you start a thread commending kubiak for not quitting eventhough the game was over?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #7
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
would you have felt better if we had lost by 20ish pts and we had lost any of schaub, aj, od, db, myers, JJ or j-joe etc??

would we have seen you start a thread commending kubiak for not quitting eventhough the game was over?
Straw man argument. Of course you don't want to see players get hurt, but they are paid to play the game. No one got hurt. The conditions weren't dangerous. Lord knows the offense wasn't tired.

Why let them play in the 3rd quarter? Why play them at all if we're already in the playoffs and could wrap up home field advantage with wins over Indy and Minnesota. How far do you want to take it?

We were still int he game in the 4th quarter. Not likely, but mathematically possible.

Like I said in the first sentence. I get the decision. I just think it was a garbage one. Tells me a lot about Kubiak.
Old 12-11-2012   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Pulling the starters is hardly unforgivable. Putting in the backups and calling QB SNEAKS?!?!?! Ridiculous. Throw the damn ball and I'll star myself out ****** *********** * * * ****** * ***** * ******** *********** * ** **** ***** ******* ** **** **** ***** ****!!

They have a monkey on their back. It's not winning the big games. Let's even nickname it "Gorilla Monsoon" because when it rains, it pours!
To be fair, there were other routes being run...that's the one schaub chose and then Andre didn't break a tackle...

But I can't complain about backups...they produced as many points as the starters...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #9
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 233844 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The play calls for a crossing route to get the first down. It should be up to the receiver run the route properly to get the necessary yardage.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #10
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 233844 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Straw man argument. Of course you don't want to see players get hurt, but they are paid to play the game. No one got hurt. The conditions weren't dangerous. Lord knows the offense wasn't tired.

Why let them play in the 3rd quarter? Why play them at all if we're already in the playoffs and could wrap up home field advantage with wins over Indy and Minnesota. How far do you want to take it?

We were still int he game in the 4th quarter. Not likely, but mathematically possible.

Like I said in the first sentence. I get the decision. I just think it was a garbage one. Tells me a lot about Kubiak
Tells me he had no faith in his starters. When the first string is flat out embarrassing itself - no argument there, right? - what you do is yank them and put in the second string guys who want to play. Probably should have done it sooner.

So should Wade.

Brady scores first 3 times they get the ball???
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #11
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did you watch the same game I did ?
Old 12-11-2012   #12
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

Like I said in the first sentence. I get the decision. I just think it was a garbage one. Tells me a lot about Kubiak
he's smart? he'd rather regroup after an ass whipping with as healthy a squad as possible instead of being that 'rah rah' guy that keeps everyone in to get a few meaningless pts when the pats have let up? the only way to get revenge is to play them again and beat them. only more bad stuff can happen at the stage of the game when he pulled the starters

and even you can see why it makes sense so i dont get why you feel you have to start a thread about it. yes they're paid to play but they're also paid to win. scoring a couple garbage pts in a blowout does nothing to aid that. its big picture time at that stage
Old 12-11-2012   #13
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
he's smart? he'd rather regroup after an ass whipping with as healthy a squad as possible instead of being that 'rah rah' guy that keeps everyone in to get a few meaningless pts when the pats have let up? the only way to get revenge is to play them again and beat them. only more bad stuff can happen at the stage of the game when he pulled the starters

and even you can see why it makes sense so i dont get why you feel you have to start a thread about it. yes they're paid to play but they're also paid to win. scoring a couple garbage pts in a blowout does nothing to aid that. its big picture time at that stage
We pulled our starters before the Patriots, that is just sad.
Old 12-11-2012   #14
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was calling for TJ to replace Schaub early in the 2nd quarter. Schaub had a very poor performance.
Old 12-11-2012   #15
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
We pulled our starters before the Patriots, that is just sad.
the pats are kinda known for leaving players in during blowouts
Old 12-11-2012   #16
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Exclamation Re: Pulling the starters is borderline unforgivable...

Quote:
the pats are kinda known for leaving players in during blowouts
Answer me this. Down 28 points fighting for HFA do u think the patriots, broncos, greenbay or any champion caliber teams pull their starters ? Or do they adjust and spread the field and "try" to make a come back.

That's the different between champions and want to be champions.
Old 12-11-2012   #17
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Quote:
Did you watch the same game I did ?
You saw the players executing? Especially on offense? Hmm. You could be on to something. Gary must've told them not to block either of the NE DTs, or to drop catchable balls on crucial downs, and for us to get drive killing penalties, or for Schaub to make wrong reads...
Old 12-11-2012   #18
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 190768 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Answer me this. Down 28 points fighting for HFA do u think the patriots, broncos, greenbay or any champion caliber teams pull their starters ? Or do they adjust and spread the field and "try" to make a come back.

That's the different between champions and want to be champions.
Championship teams don't get down by that much in the first place . This is a trend with the Texans when the lights are on .

Oh ... you are not a championship caliber team until you win said championship . The hump is not talent , it's being strong willed .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #19
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't think the 7 yard cross was the first option
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #20
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
You saw the players executing? Especially on offense? Hmm. You could be on to something. Gary must've told them not to block either of the NE DTs, or to drop catchable balls on crucial downs, and for us to get drive killing penalties, or for Schaub to make wrong reads...
Or it could of been AJ lining up at FB to "confuse" the defense and then not attacking 1 on 1 coverage all night. Maybe the 3 consecutive running plays then a punt when down 21. Then some 7 yard slants when we need 10 yards.

If u watched the jacksonville game the whole 4th quarter we went 4 wide and shreaded them, same thing in Detroit. Here we went 4 wide for 1 series and got a TD and then the Offense went back into their 2 WR 1 FB and foster shell. It was a terrible called game we didn't lose purely to bad execution.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read