Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-04-2005   #1
duntadaman23
Rookie

Default VERBA: 35 MILLION or Else

I say what the hell. Go sign him and in negotiations tell him he is guaranteed the starting left tackle spot. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=2075601
duntadaman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #2
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone made a "get Verba now" thread...I saw this in the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

Quote:
"That's great," said Verba when informed Friday night about Shelton. "Now they have a left tackle and hopefully they'll cut me. Please cut me now!"

Verba, who's been holding out for a bigger contract, said those plans haven't changed. He has said he'll sit out the season if the Browns don't up the ante. Verba is under contract for two more seasons at $2.95 million a year, but wants a five-year deal worth about $38.5 million.
Let's give another aging veteran a ridiculous contract, great idea ...
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #3
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

even if we got verba, he'd probably injure his left shoulder before the season, sit out a year or two, then retire.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #4
gcolby
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy
even if we got verba, he'd probably injure his left shoulder before the season, sit out a year or two, then retire.

gcolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #5
Davis37
All Pro

lol seems about right

hey gcolby i love ur avatar!
Old 06-04-2005   #6
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

how about not...this guy thinks he's the next chad clifton or something...he's an average guard playing LT...i would gladdly take another year of seth wand playing LT and pitts playing LG rather than sign this joke and see him f-up the o-line...and THERE IS NO WAY he is worth 38.5 million dollars
Old 06-04-2005   #7
Davis37
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
how about not...this guy thinks he's the next chad clifton or something...he's an average guard playing LT...i would gladdly take another year of seth wand playing LT and pitts playing LG rather than sign this joke and see him f-up the o-line...and THERE IS NO WAY he is worth 38.5 million dollars
I agree. Why waste ALOT of money on this guy, when we have Pitts at LG and a sure to improve Wand at LT. If Wand somehow doesnt progress enough to be a good enough starter for us this year, there is always a very strong OT draft coming up next season. Anyways, when CC was talking on TV at the Astros game the other day, he said they want to build this team through the draft and not through FAs. I would rather let Seth Wand show us what he is made of this year, and if its not enough grab a LT in the high 1st round of the draft next year.
Old 06-04-2005   #8
duntadaman23
Rookie

Ross Verba is one of the premier tackles in the game. Let me make you aware of something. People talk about hes an aging veteran but look at Walter Jones,Orlando Pace, and Jonathan Ogden. All 4 of these players are 30 or older including Ross so you are telling me that you would not sign any of the 4 b/c they are getting older? And to the guy who said something about him being injured he missed 22 games out of a possible 128 games. Which means throughout his career he has played 83% of the time. So I think the injury argument is stupid. Obviously Charley Casserly is not throwin money around b/c if he was we would have signed Boulware and Shelton so I say sign Verba to a good deal and let that be that.
duntadaman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #9
texansfan1974
Veteran

YOU PEOPLE NEED TO GET OFF WAND'S WAND BECAUSE HE WILL NEVER BE A PREMEIR TACKLE IN THIS LEAGUE. WE NEED TO GO AND GET ONE AND VERBA WOULD BE AN EXCELLENT CHOICE IF HE BECOMES AVALIBLE. IF WE DO NOT GET A GOOD ONE SOON WE MAY NOT SEE CARR MUCH LONGER . HIS TIME IS RUNNING OUT.
texansfan1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #10
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan1974
YOU PEOPLE NEED TO GET OFF WAND'S WAND BECAUSE HE WILL NEVER BE A PREMEIR TACKLE IN THIS LEAGUE. WE NEED TO GO AND GET ONE AND VERBA WOULD BE AN EXCELLENT CHOICE IF HE BECOMES AVALIBLE. IF WE DO NOT GET A GOOD ONE SOON WE MAY NOT SEE CARR MUCH LONGER . HIS TIME IS RUNNING OUT.

Are you angry? Why are you yelling at everyone here? Let's talk. . .

Last edited by Texans Pride; 06-04-2005 at 06:35 PM.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #11
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

I was all for getting a new lt, but I donít want to pull someone in because we are in need and will jump at anyone available. Shelton was a teams castoff, and he is replacing another teams cast off. I would much rather stick it out another year, and take someone in a draft that has good tackles in it. That way we get someone young, who is good, and who can grow with this team, and doesnít cost an arm and a leg because we are so desperate.

Someone said it in another post somewhere. If we are going to acquire another FA this year, I would much rather it be a quality TE (if one comes available) and just hold off till next years draft and get ourselves a new tackle. . .
Old 06-05-2005   #12
ComstockLode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride
I was all for getting a new lt, but I donít want to pull someone in because we are in need and will jump at anyone available. Shelton was a teams castoff, and he is replacing another teams cast off. I would much rather stick it out another year, and take someone in a draft that has good tackles in it. That way we get someone young, who is good, and who can grow with this team, and doesnít cost an arm and a leg because we are so desperate.

Someone said it in another post somewhere. If we are going to acquire another FA this year, I would much rather it be a quality TE (if one comes available) and just hold off till next years draft and get ourselves a new tackle. . .
Yeah, because an LT is no where as an important as having a TE who can catch and block
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005   #13
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

Quote:
duntadaman23 Ross Verba is one of the premier tackles in the game.
in what world is verba one of the premier tackles in the game...i honestly do not think that any of the gm's in the league believe he is worth 38.5 million...especially his own gm...the browns haven't had a LT since they came back to the league...ross verba isn't the guy we need...now i'm not saying that seth wand is the answer but the answer will probably going to come in next years draft
Old 06-05-2005   #14
texansfan1974
Veteran

A tightend is very important but, how can you throw the ball with no protection. Without a left tackle this will be Carr.

Last edited by texansfan1974; 06-05-2005 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-05-2005   #15
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComstockLode
Yeah, because an LT is no where as an important as having a TE who can catch and block

I'm not sure if we are on the same page here or not. Are you saying that getting another TE during FA is not a good idea, and that we should grab a LT who is available? Or are you saying we should get a quality TE if one comes available and worry about the LT during the draft next year?

I believe the latter of the two is the best choice at this point.

Last edited by Texans Pride; 06-05-2005 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2005   #16
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan1974
A tightend is very important but, how can you throw the ball with no protection. Without a left tackle this will be Carr.

That's a cute picture but I'm not sure what you are trying to say? That picture looks like that thing is in a limbo contest.... HEY CARR, HOW LOW CAN YOU GO, HOW LOW CAN YOU GO!
Old 06-05-2005   #17
texansfan1974
Veteran

LET ME PUT IT THIS WAY THEN PROTECT HIM OR ITS LIGHTS OUT
Old 06-06-2005   #18
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I thought the coaches addressed that already. Didn't they say they are going to more 3 and 5 step passes with more blocking? I think his protection is paramount this year. I am just hoping and praying that the Texans land a franchise LT in the next draft.
Old 06-06-2005   #19
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 7477 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am just hoping and praying that the Texans land a franchise LT in the next draft.
I'd rather have a premier tight end. I also don't want to see us drafting very high next year.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005   #20
Mr Shush
Veteran

Our own pick won't be that high. I'd set the over-under at 18. But I expect to see Casserly trade up into the top ten or as high as he thinks is necessary to get whichever tackle he likes best, probably using Davis and/or Ragone as leverage.
Mr Shush is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read