Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-10-2012   #41
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans are not ready for prime time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentassassin View Post
Yes.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and say the two losses this year were aberrations.

Comes down to one thing for me: You don't get penalized on third down and extend their drives, maybe those games are within reach.
I really think the number one the scoreboard is more of a reflection of how a couple plays go the wrong way for you and you're in a huge hole. We made some stupid plays and if a fumble bounces back to KJ, this game would have been a lot different.

Nothing changes next week. Andrew Luck is not as good as Brady. Go in there and hit him and frustrate him, but don't get penalized on 3rd down.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #42
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
I really think the number one the scoreboard is more of a reflection of how a couple plays go the wrong way for you and you're in a huge hole. We made some stupid plays and if a fumble bounces back to KJ, this game would have been a lot different.

Nothing changes next week. Andrew Luck is not as good as Brady. Go in there and hit him and frustrate him, but don't get penalized on 3rd down.
I feel the same way. Probably why I still believe this team is elite. Maybe the QB is not elite but I've always felt like our elite players were just at other positions.

If Kareem recovers a simple fumble, that P.I call is not called then I do feel like this is a different game. The defense held up for a long time after that, but it's hard to get motivated as a defensive player when your offense isn't moving. Eventually they were just going to fold. Always happens when a offense can't score sometimes it seems like the defense just loses motivation.

The defense held in there for a while. Had it not been for those two unlucky plays then who knows?
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #43
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83762 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
Good question.

If so, then the Texans are pretty much ready for prime time based on last year playoffs.
"Based on last year's playoffs".. How much can you really base on last year's playoffs? Their only win came against a rook and when they had to step up in competition they shot themselves in the foot... sound familar? If anything last year's playoffs has been a precurser to what we've seen this season. Feast on the bottom feeders and have a inability to get out of own way against vet talent. This team is way beyond judging ourselfs against up and coming wild card caliber teams. We need to start K.O.ing teams in our own weight class if we want to win a chip and tonight we got a weggie and locked inside our locker left to beg for the custodian to walk by.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #44
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
"Based on last year's playoffs".. How much can you really base on last year's playoffs? Their only win came against a rook and when they had to step up in competition they shot themselves in the foot... sound familar? If anything last year's playoffs has been a precurser to what we've seen this season. Feast on the bottom feeders and have a inability to get out of own way against vet talent.
Not sure what game you are talking about?

They almost beat the Ravens. You make it sound like they were blown out and embarrassed when it was anything but. A few mistakes by a rookie 3rd string QB cost the Texans a trip to the AFCC game.
Old 12-10-2012   #45
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2069 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I feel the same way. Probably why I still believe this team is elite. Maybe the QB is not elite but I've always felt like our elite players were just at other positions.

If Kareem recovers a simple fumble, that P.I call is not called then I do feel like this is a different game. The defense held up for a long time after that, but it's hard to get motivated as a defensive player when your offense isn't moving. Eventually they were just going to fold. Always happens when a offense can't score sometimes it seems like the defense just loses motivation.

The defense held in there for a while. Had it not been for those two unlucky plays then who knows?
Exactly, takes you back to the penalties against Green Bay. Both of those actually came on 4th down--Posey lining up offsides and Barwin leaping. Both of those drives eventually lead to touchdowns.

Tonight, they came on 3rd down. The early holding on Harris when they got a stop and the terrible PI call on Manning on the deep throw on 3rd and long.

I'm not saying these penalties are the SOLE reason they lost both of these games, but it's what you and hradhak alluded to. A couple plays here and there change the course of the game.

Then again, sometimes you just find a way to make those plays. Or in this case, avoid making stupid plays that cost you.

Tonight doesn't change the fact that this team is capable of winning its last three. It's a tough task, but I think they're more than capable of completing it.
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #46
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54251 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Tonight's loss was on coaching. Plain and simple.

Team wasn't focused, they made mistakes, they got down early and the Patriots never looked back.

Simple as that.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #47
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Let's say Kareem recovers that fumble.

Then what?

Is our offense going to do what they failed to do at any meaningful point in the game? Go on a long TD scoring drive?

You can what if all you want to...i can just as easily what if about half of our games this year and make us 7-6...

But I won't because we won them. We made more plays and had more things go right.

Tonight, we got out asses kicked. Own that.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-10-2012   #48
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

Then what?

Is our offense going to do what they failed to do at any meaningful point in the game? Go on a long TD scoring drive?

You can what if all you want to...i can just as easily what if about half of our games this year and make us 7-6...

But I won't because we won them. We made more plays and had more things go right.

There's no question we got our asses kicked. I think his point is still valid. We let the game slip away and then panicked. There's no question though that we have to play better. The refs are always gonna rob us a few times a game. Nonetheless, you gotta make plays. We didn't execute, but those little things early on set the tone for the game and we pretty much mailed it in at half time.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #49
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2069 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There's no question we got our asses kicked. I think his point is still valid. We let the game slip away and then panicked. There's no question though that we have to play better. The refs are always gonna rob us a few times a game. Nonetheless, you gotta make plays. We didn't execute, but those little things early on set the tone for the game and we pretty much mailed it in at half time.
Exactly. I don't think any of us here are saying that if those plays don't happen, we win the game.

I think it's more like trying to highlight certain plays that dictated the way this game was going to go.

I believe it's also fair to say those few plays tell the story for the game too.
Old 12-10-2012   #50
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Then what?

Well just earlier you were what-IFing away our wins so I am surprised.

I didn't say we deserved to win or anything, just that not even luck was on their side today. Those two plays (The TERRIBLE P.I Call and the Kareem Jackson fumble) made it 21-0 and that is pretty big.

I'm not going to fret too much about it though. 11-2, most of us would have taken this before the season.
Old 12-10-2012   #51
midway
Veteran

Rep Power: 1490 midway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
Not being funny, but do you really think we'll beat the Colts? Either home or away?
I do. The colts have had the advantage of having a last place schedule. **** they've been outscored by 37 points. We aren't losing to them once, and definitely not twice.
midway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #52
silentassassin
Veteran

Quote:

I didn't say we deserved to win or anything, just that not even luck was on their side today. Those two plays (The TERRIBLE P.I Call and the Kareem Jackson fumble) made it 21-0 and that is pretty big.

I'm not going to fret too much about it though. 11-2, most of us would have taken this before the season.
Totally agree with you there, but in a moment like this it's understandable if we tend to ignore the bigger picture.

Hopefully we'll all begin worrying about Sunday instead of tonight's game soon.
Old 12-10-2012   #53
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Listen, if we are so fragile that a few bad plays early on in games is going to lead to an embarrassing blow out then we got what we deserved.

The texans took a safety on the first play if the broncos game. Teams have come out and had us reeling quite a few times this year actually.

1) that's a trend...a bad one

2) we do it to ourselves and we cant afford to do that against good teams

It'd be one thing if we lost a competitive game. But this is the second ass kicking by a top team with a top qb.

From every angle the texans look like pretenders.

And I don't buy into the what Ifs. Don't do it for wins and won't do it for losses.
Old 12-10-2012   #54
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Tonight's loss was on coaching. Plain and simple.

Team wasn't focused, they made mistakes, they got down early and the Patriots never looked back.

Simple as that.
The refs were kicking us in the nuts the first half of the game
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #55
silentassassin
Veteran

Quote:
Listen, if we are so fragile that a few bad plays early on in games is going to lead to an embarrassing blow out then we got what we deserved.

The texans took a safety on the first play if the broncos game. Teams have come out and had us reeling quite a few times this year actually.

1) that's a trend...a bad one

2) we do it to ourselves and we cant afford to do that against good teams

It'd be one thing if we lost a competitive game. But this is the second ass kicking by a top team with a top qb.

From every angle the texans look like pretenders.

And I don't buy into the what Ifs. Don't do it for wins and won't do it for losses.
Really? Because a loss in a competitive game still puts them in the same position they're in right now.

If they take care of business and there's a rematch, they'll meet under much different circumstances(hopefully).

And again, I don't think they were pointing those out as "what-ifs" to justify that they could've won the game. I saw it more as trying to identify what went wrong.

But I certainly agree with the two points you listed.
Old 12-10-2012   #56
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I never what if'd a win.

What I said is that in those wins there were signs of deficiencies we had.

And besides that, weve had some narrow margins of victory.

You can't what if away this kind of ass kicking.

There is no bright side. No saving grace.

Pathetic showing tonight from the top down. Period.
Old 12-10-2012   #57
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83762 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not sure what game you are talking about?

They almost beat the Ravens. You make it sound like they were blown out and embarrassed when it was anything but. A few mistakes by a rookie 3rd string QB cost the Texans a trip to the AFCC game.
Actually I'm almost positive that you knew the EXACT game that I was talking about, because you just referenced it without me even saying what game it was.

I also didn't say anything about that Ravens loss being embarrased and didn't say anything about being blown out

I in your words "made it sound" like they bit it.. and the did in that game. We gave that game away through some of the same self inflicted wounds we saw today.. your point is?
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #58
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I never what if'd a win.

What I said is that in those wins there were signs of deficiencies we had.

And besides that, weve had some narrow margins of victory.

You can't what if away this kind of ass kicking.

There is no bright side. No saving grace.

Pathetic showing tonight from the top down. Period.
There is little bright side to this loss, we'd all agree on that.

There are chinks in the armor. Lack of pass rush, run game looks bad at times, secondary hobbled...but every single team has chinks in their armor.

They still have two losses and still in position to have a memorable season.
Old 12-10-2012   #59
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Actually I'm almost positive that you knew the EXACT game that I was talking about, because you just referenced it without me even saying what game it was.

I also didn't say anything about being embarrased and didn't say anything about being blown out.

I in your words "made it sound" like they bit it.. and the did in that game. We gave that game away through some of the same self inflicted wounds we saw today.. your point is?
My point is that game (The Ravens playoff game) was and is NOTHING like today's game.

One game they showed heart, fight, and came out to compete. Mistakes by Jacoby and a rookie 3rd string QB cost them the game.

Tonight was NOTHING like that game. To even reference that game and this one is to kinda imply that they wet the bed all the same. They did not, they just lost to the better more experienced team last year...tonight they were embarrassed and kicked off the field.
Old 12-10-2012   #60
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentassassin View Post
Really? Because a loss in a competitive game still puts them in the same position they're in right now.

If they take care of business and there's a rematch, they'll meet under much different circumstances(hopefully).

And again, I don't think they were pointing those out as "what-ifs" to justify that they could've won the game. I saw it more as trying to identify what went wrong.

But I certainly agree with the two points you listed.
No a loss in a competitive game means we are closer to being competitive with top teams.

If you get into a fight and you get your teeth knocked into your ass that's a loss right?

If you get into a fight and it's competitive, but you still probably lost because...well the guy landed a few more shots and you're a little bit more bloody than he is...

Which person are you going to be more confident against next time?

The guy who you had a good tussle with or the guy you couldn't touch once and he knocked your face inside out?

I'm not a player on that team. All I can do is voice my displeasure and observe what I see. And what I saw was a team that was outclassed for the second time this year against an upper echelon franchise.

Can they come back and beat then in the play offs? Sure. That's why I'll be watching...because anything can happen...

But am I confident that they'll take it to the pats if they meet again...fvk no...

If you guys are...good. I'm not. I've seen them play all year and ive seen schaub and kubiak since they've been here. I think I know how this one ends, but I'll hope for the best.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read