Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-09-2005   #1
bigtex77
Veteran

Default Travis Johnson's Role on the DL

I was just curious if anyone thought Travis Johnson would be able to challenge Seth Payne for the starting spot in the middle.

Last edited by bigtex77; 06-09-2005 at 05:38 PM.
bigtex77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #2
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

No, not this season yet anyways. Johnson will need time to learn our system.
Old 06-09-2005   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

TJ will end up on the end and may play the nose in obvious passing situations. Payne is a fine NT when healthy.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #4
bigtex77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
TJ will end up on the end and may play the nose in obvious passing situations. Payne is a fine NT when healthy.
I agree, I am a big Payne fan. Thats why I was asking, I figured with all of his injuries the team might give Johnson a look, but I hope Seth is the starter.
Old 06-09-2005   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah, I think this could be Payne's year, on the condition of his health holding up. TJ will give him some stiff competition, for sure, but it is Payne's job to lose, IMO.
Old 06-09-2005   #6
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Travis Johnson seems more like an end in the 3-4 to me. Ioane will probably be the primary backup at NT, especially if Payne gets injured. Johnson could get some reps there if they want to just stick with a four man rotation on the line with Johnson getting reps at all three spots to relieve the starters.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005   #7
Mr Shush
Veteran

Depends a little how much Johnson eventually bulks up. For the moment he's more suited to DE in a 3-4, but I think his frame could carry the weight to play nose.
Mr Shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-10-2005   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Shush
Depends a little how much Johnson eventually bulks up. For the moment he's more suited to DE in a 3-4, but I think his frame could carry the weight to play nose.
thats interesting point. one that may be revisited in 2-3 years when Payne becomes one of the original expansion franchise retired Hall of Fame Texans. you very well may be right he certainly has the frame but he will have to learn to play less upright and keep the pads low, NT in a 3-4 is better suited to squat low center of gravity things that like to move piles & tug of war
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005   #9
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers

^^I agree
Old 06-10-2005   #10
wiley2002
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
TJ vs Gary Walker

I bet TJ beats walker for the starting spot. ZING!!!!
Now that I could see moreso than TJ taking Payne's spot. I can't wait to see this guy play!
wiley2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005   #11
Vambo, the Marble Eye
Veteran

Raw talent isn't enough in the NFL and certainly not to beat out a competitor like Payne that has EXPERIENCE on this defense. It would be great to have TJ have an immediate impact... but my guess he is hoping he doesn't embarass himself as a rookie.
Old 06-10-2005   #12
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

My best guess at how it shakes out is that TJ will rotate in at DE relieving Walker and Smith from time to time. Walker will probably remain the starter early on in the season, and TJ will probably rotate in more often as the season progresses. I wouldn't be surprised if TJ is getting more playing time than Walker as the season draws near its close.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005   #13
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to throwANDREtheBALL

I hope that he bulks up and improves his run-defence even more........cuz his pass-rush ability is way overrated..........he had something like 2 and a half sacks last year.

And we are expecting him to come in and beat out Gary Walker ?

our previous first round picks were good and they all became starters in their first years...........I have a feeling that TJ won't...........and therefore adds fuel to the argument that he was a reach.
throwANDREtheBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwANDREtheBALL
our previous first round picks were good and they all became starters in their first years...........I have a feeling that TJ won't...........and therefore adds fuel to the argument that he was a reach.
Or it adds fuel to the observation it is easier to start immediately on a building team than a more mature team. Basically Carr, AJ, Robinson and Babin didn't have to beat anyone out to get their starting jobs. TJ does. That is actually a sign of a healthy team rather than a sign of bad drafting.
Old 06-10-2005   #15
TommyS
Veteran

there's no way TJ was a reach. Walker - (former) probowler, payne - top quality nose tackle, smith - pricey, young, highly rated freeagent from last year. on paper, IF all are fit and playing well, thats one of the best 3-4 lines in the league. thats why TJ might not start as a rookie, but here's betting he replaces walker in a years time and starts for us for 10 years after that.
TommyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005   #16
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to throwANDREtheBALL

OK then.........so what kind of numbers is this guy going to put up, when he does start ?

is he going to fix our pass rush problems that we so drastically wanted to improve heading into the draft ?

is a guy with 2 and a half sacks in college going to get it done for us ?

WOW I hope your right, BUDDY!

throwANDREtheBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005   #17
TommyS
Veteran

someone help me out here, help me explain to this guy that 3-4 linemen dont get sacks, dont make exciting highlight-reel plays...

3-4 LINEMEN TAKE ON BLOCKERS TO ALLOW THE LINEBACKERS TO MAKE PLAYS

now, if babin/peek/wong/anderson et al dont get any sacks this year, then complain at the linemen for not helping out.

pats linemen sacks last year: wilfork 2; warren 3.5; traylor 0; seymour 5; green 4.
these arent the exciting numbers that freeney/peppers etc put up. they dont even have great tackle counts. THATS NOT WHAT THEYRE THERE FOR.

the best teams dont have to throw rookies in starting roles. thank CC that we're getting to that stage.
Old 06-10-2005   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyS
someone help me out here, help me explain to this guy that 3-4 linemen dont get sacks, dont make exciting highlight-reel plays...
IMO no coach says 3-4 DLmen aren't supposed to get sacks, but a function of the system is they will get less. More important is collapsing the pocket from the inside so the play flows to the OLB's or tieing up the OLmen so the ILB's can shoot gaps and make plays. But, good 3-4 DE's do get sacks--ex. New England's DE's had 12.5 sacks last year, Walker in his pro-bowl year - 6, Pittsburgh's DE's had 10 sacks last year. So both DE's in a good 3-4 may contribute like a great RDE in a 4-3. Unfortunately, the Texans only got 2.5 sacks from the DE position last year.
Old 06-10-2005   #19
TommyS
Veteran

point taken, maybe i should have worded my statement better.

but he's still a good pick...
Old 06-10-2005   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyS
point taken, maybe i should have worded my statement better.

but he's still a good pick...
Hopefully the Texans end up with something very like the Seymour & Jarvis Green tag team. Seymour had 5 and Green had 4. That's what we need--5 or 6 from Walker and 3 or 4 from TJ. You see that kind of production from LDE and Robaire, Babin and Peek's production will all go up as well.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read