Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-07-2012   #21
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Full Homer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
Ditto. I imagine there is direct correlation between the number of years as a Houston sports fan and the amount of doubt of actually delivering in the end. Sometimes its fun watching the young guys get so excited about our "inevitable" Super Bowl trip, but in the back of my mind I am shaking my head thinking "been there, done that, got the broken heart"
Straight up description of my feelings, as well. I do believe the correlation exists. The older we are and the more exposure to Houston's five decades of pro football, the higher probability exists of cynicism and a prove-it-to-me-first attitude.

infantrycak hit the nail on the head awhile back. He grew up a Cowboys fan, and because of their success in the 1970's, he always had an attitude that his team could come back regardless of the score.

Lifelong Houston fans, on the other hand, have been conditioned that no lead is to to big to be deemed "safe".
Old 12-07-2012   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Well, I kind of think of myself as a homer anyway. So I don't really know what that means. But if you mean completely ignore their shortcomings, then I'll go full homer when they have no shortcomings. Now, recognizing their shortcomings does not affect my fandom in any way. I still cheer/scream/whoop/wail/teethgnash with every high and low during the game.
It's not about ignoring their shortcomings. Know they are there, but trust the group that we have to fix it, or to win games despite it.
Old 12-07-2012   #23
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
It's not about ignoring their shortcomings. Know they are there, but trust the group that we have to fix it, or to win games despite it.
Oh. Well that's not happening as long as we have Kubiak as head coach, most likely. I just don't trust him in some situations. He's spent 6.5 years earning that distrust, so I reckon it'll take a while for me to lose it.

I do trust most of our players to win despite him now.
Old 12-07-2012   #24
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Oh. Well that's not happening as long as we have Kubiak as head coach, most likely. I just don't trust him in some situations. He's spent 6.5 years earning that distrust, so I reckon it'll take a while for me to lose it.

I do trust most of our players to win despite him now.
Co-signed. It is what it is.
Old 12-07-2012   #25
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, since I posted that this morning, I'm sticking with it this afternoon! Still got that "gut" feeling we're gonna OWN this game! Don't know why, just some more of my "homerism" coming out!

BTW: I PROUD to call myself a HOMER! I've been passionate about this team LONG before they were called the TEXANS!! Just like anything else in life, ya have your ups and downs, good days and bad, but ya hang in there none the less and keep on truckin!! I became a DIEHARD HOMER for this team in August of 2002 when I watched the boys in Steel Blue, Liberty White, and Battle Red run on the field in Canton, Ohio for the very first time. I stood there with tears running down my face and knew right then and there that I'd pull for them until the day I die. I truly can't explain the feeling, other than that feeling of being a TRUE homer!! We've been through some tough times, but, here we are, riding a potential wave to greatness, and I've never fallen off the wagon!! Sure, I want a SB just as much as the next person, esp since I'm OLD and I've waited for it for so long, but, win or lose, I'm a homer for life!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #26
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What's it going to take for you to go "Full Homer"?

You know, remove all doubt about who these guys are? Truly support them through thick & thin? Stop nit-picking every small detail?

We blow out the Patriots, I'm going "Full Homer"

Homer? yes!
Full Homer? no.

I think a Homer can have doubts, yet still support through thick and thin, and even nit-pick some. I don't think you can NOT have doubts.

Houston, IMHO matches up similarly to N.E. as they do Detroit. So, if you agree with that, then let me ask you, with a blow out the Patriots, you wondering who the F#*% you saw on Thankgiving Day?
Old 12-07-2012   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail.Blazr View Post
Houston, IMHO matches up similarly to N.E. as they do Detroit. So, if you agree with that, then let me ask you, with a blow out the Patriots, you wondering who the F#*% you saw on Thankgiving Day?
I saw Andre Johnson bring in 9 catches for 188 yards.

But I know what you mean. I write that game off as the Lions were desperate. That game was it. They lose, any hope they may have had for the post season was gone. Then it's not like the Lions are chopped liver. They're young & they find ways to lose. But they've also got the #2 offense in the league.... sounds like a team we used to know.
Old 12-07-2012   #28
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 67652 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Some people are lower loop types, that no matter what are always going to focus on the black speck on the white wall. And it's not about refusing to turn a blind eye. It's not about being able to have a conversation that recognizes the opportunities while rejoicing in the success. It's about the need to always be The Guy who feels compelled to fixate on everything that is not done perfectly. Like it validates their football analytical abilities or allows them to look down their nose at those who don't hold their team to a higher standard.

This team has a top 5 offense and a top 5 defense. No, the O-line does not look as sharp as it did last year, especially the right side. No, the DB's haven't looked All World with Joseph being out. No, the running game hasn't been as powerful with Tate out and overusing Foster. No, the decimated LB corps is not making up for Cush being out.

All that being said, this team is 11-1, and more importantly, 3-1 against AFC teams at the top of their divisions. And name me ONE of the teams that we are battling against in the AFC that does not have some glaring weakness of their own.

The Ravens offense is inconsistent at best and has been in games because of their defense. The Pats defense is suspect at best and is constantly bailed out by their offense. The Broncos run game is one yard away per game from being in the lower third of the league. The Ravens and Pats are 25th and 26th in the league on yards allowed. The Broncos 8-game win streak? The combined records of their opponents in wins this year have been 44-78, with only two teams having a winning record (Bengals and Steelers) and six opponents that have 4 wins or less on the season. Their three losses? To teams that are a combined 31-5. The Pats are 1-3 in games decided by 3 points or less, and the one win was in OT. The Ravens have had seven of their twelve games decided by three points or less.

And yet... all three of these teams have three losses while the Texans only have one. And the Texans are 2-0 against these teams.

But, but, but... Gary makes coaching mistakes and Matt makes QB mistakes and the DB's make coverage mistakes and the 2-14 from HWSNBN and Don Capers and Kubiak did something wrong in 2007, so we can't take any pleasure in the great run our team is having THIS YEAR because everything has not been PERFECT since the 19-17 Cowboys game...
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #29
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I can never be a full homer. I will leave that to the fans who have literally imprinted the Texans upon their DNA code. The people like Joe and SheTexan and others who are full-on, 24/7, no expenses spared Texans fans.

I'm a guy living 8 hours away who watches games and posts on the board.

For me, yeah "There's no other team BUT this team," but yet I still have times when I get pessimistic and I get irritated and a bit cynical of the Texans organization.

If we beat New England, it won't mean much if we drop our final three games afterward and other AFC teams win out. So, IMO, a win at New England tells me that this team is the pick to go to the SB and win it all.

Yet that still carries a tone of healthy skepticism because you can finish 15-1 and lose in the playoffs and you're not going to be world champ of the world. 1-0 every week, just like they started saying last year...like they said in the off-season, in camp, in preseason, and all through this reg season. 1-0 EACH WEEK.

I sometimes actually think it'd be better to lose this game and then win out, because 14-2 still gets us the HFA throughout. Sometimes losing one, then getting your swagger on for the rest of the way is a goods thing.

But then again, LOL, 15-1 is saying something special too!
Let me give a short version to why I am NOW such a homer and dedicated fan. I watched the first 2002 game against the cowboys with my dad, he became a texans fan after that game just like me. In 2005 he committed suicide, so now the texans are one of the only ways I still feel connected to him. Might be dumb but every time I see them play I feel like he's there and I love that feeling. So there you have it, that's why I am such a big homer win or lose. Cause to me its more than about the product on the field but more about what it stands for.
Old 12-07-2012   #30
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

YOU NEVER GO FULL HOMER MAN
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #31
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68808 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll never go "full homer" because that's not the way I root for sports teams.

Let's try to minimize the "homer", we don't want to turn into the typical unlikeable fanbases.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #32
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

In the trophy case.

I will always support the Texans no matter what 16-0 or 0-16.

To be sold out on this team as being the best and have no doubt about that, we'll need the hardware.
Old 12-07-2012   #33
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Sadly, I am so beat down from years of watching the Oilers fail following by more years of Texans fail that only one thing will make me catch the complete homer bug. Texans Superbowl victory #1.
Yep. Same here.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012   #34
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail.Blazr View Post
Homer? yes!
Full Homer? no.

I think a Homer can have doubts, yet still support through thick and thin, and even nit-pick some. I don't think you can NOT have doubts.

I think you could have the Texans and Patriots play 10 games in 10 weeks and it could end up 5-5 with each team winning in various ways. Heck, you could probably do that with a lot of teams. Anything can happen in a single game. A great team can be out of sync. A poor team can play like they're champions. In our 2nd season we beat Carolina and took the Pats to overtime. Those were the 2 Super Bowl participants. Were the Texans as good as those teams? I don't think so, but for those 2 games we were.

Any given Sunday.

That being said, my gut says we beat the Patriots on Monday. I don't think we win out, though. We lose the game on the road to the Colts, but still have HFA through the playoffs and use that to catapult us to the Big Easy.

I'm a homer, but I'll always nitpick a little. We could win the next 4 Super Bowls and in our first game in 2016 when Kubiak runs the ball on 3rd and 15 I'll still curse him. When our D gives up a long play on 3rd and long to keep a drive alive I'll still grumble. It's part of being an armchair QB/coach/GM. Blame Madden. We all think we could do a better job. Heck we'd be 12-0 if most of us ran the team. To me it's part of the game.

Everyone here is a fan. We revel in the wins and we hurt with the losses. It's about time we have a lot more of the former and less of the latter. The homers here deserve it.
Old 12-08-2012   #35
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected

Full Homer......what the hell.....sounds like something I saw in a simpsons episode once.....

yeah.....he was full of beer........ummm.....beer.......good.......
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012   #36
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 32596 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

I always consider myself football fan 1st, Texans close 2nd.

Texans are MY TEAM, you know? I yell cheer, etc. We all are "full homers" to a point. Do we not yell when we make a huge play??
Old 12-08-2012   #37
swyyyguy
texas longhorns

Rep Power: 0 swyyyguy is a quality contributor and well respectedswyyyguy is a quality contributor and well respectedswyyyguy is a quality contributor and well respectedswyyyguy is a quality contributor and well respectedswyyyguy is a quality contributor and well respectedswyyyguy is a quality contributor and well respectedswyyyguy is a quality contributor and well respectedswyyyguy is a quality contributor and well respectedswyyyguy is a quality contributor and well respectedswyyyguy is a quality contributor and well respectedswyyyguy is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm a full homer when talking to my friends who are fans of other teams.

when i'm talking to fellow texans fans, i'm always so nervous...
swyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012   #38
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Now you don't need to be a Homer to realize that the yard per game for the D is skewed by the two OT games.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #39
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 92841 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
I saw Andre Johnson bring in 9 catches for 188 yards.

But I know what you mean. I write that game off as the Lions were desperate. That game was it. They lose, any hope they may have had for the post season was gone. Then it's not like the Lions are chopped liver. They're young & they find ways to lose. But they've also got the #2 offense in the league.... sounds like a team we used to know.
I agree fully... The Lions are actually a really good team except one factor. No discipline. This is what causes them to lead an entire game, only to lose in the final minutes or seconds of the game, which was the same problem the Texans had up until a few years ago.

The thing that sticks in my mind the most about that game was the 4th Qtr 15 play, 97 yard drive to score the TD that sent the game into overtime. All of the momentum was on the Lions side after a great punt pinning the Texans on the 3. Yet the Texans calmly and confidently marched down the field and scored 7.

Not sure I could ever go full homer, because I would never want to sound like a large portion of the Patriots fan base!

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #40
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68808 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
I always consider myself football fan 1st, Texans close 2nd.

Texans are MY TEAM, you know? I yell cheer, etc. We all are "full homers" to a point. Do we not yell when we make a huge play??
Yelling and cheering doesn't make you a homer at all, let alone a full homer. Being a full homer means you're oblivious and incapable of rational thought when it comes to your team. See Laker fans.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read