Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-07-2012   #1
Quick II Draw
Veteran

Rep Power: 2095 Quick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Pro Football Focus: Texans O-Line is mediocre

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...ffensive-lines

HOUSTON:
Passing: 12th
Rushing: 12th

Old 12-07-2012   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Pro Football Focus: Texans O-Line is mediocre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick II Draw View Post
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...ffensive-lines

HOUSTON:
Passing: 12th
Rushing: 12th
I think he's right, but so what?

We knew the right side was going to be a work in progress. I don't think they are where they need to be, but I think they are better than what I expected. I mean #6 in the league in total yards & people (I'm one of them) complaining that Arian falls down at first contact...

Pass blocking.... Personally I think the world of Newton, I think he's the guy we're looking for to lock that position down. Ben Jones, great in the run game. Struggles some in pass blocking. I think his biggest issue, is picking up the delayed blitz...... you know he's initially engaged with someone who turns his attention to the outside, then someone runs free up the middle. I think that is dangerous because Myers has the same issue. It's worse on Ben Jones, because the guy stunting from the outside will run right past him, where it's not so bad with Myers because DE's stunting is not exactly the same thing... they've got further to go before they can get past Myers... his biggest issue (imo) is that LB that blitzes late.

But they are getting better, I think you can see that game by game, so I don't think it's anything to worry about.
Old 12-07-2012   #3
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

That O line has gotten us to an 11-1 record. They seem to be doing pretty well IMO.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #4
Toro Toe
Rookie

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...3-ce52929db298

Madden approves :P
Toro Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #5
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Toro that was about the Titans game, not the entire season.

Have to agree with Fiddler. The line is improving but it hasn't been steller this season. What it has been is generally inconsistent and we're mainly talking the right side though Wade Smith has his lapses here and there. There's a reason after all Ben Jones ended up getting worked in at guard. Caldwell wasn't being consistent enough for Kubiak's liking. Those were the time you heard Kubes say he wasn't pleased with the running game. And Jones being a rookie you can only expect that he will need time and experience to get his footing at the position. Not like he immediately stepped in there and blew folks away. Same for Newton who for the first part of the year was like a roller coaster with his play.

But they are getting better and hopefully will become a more consistent unit though Newton has been missing time with the injury. They're young and that is to be expected.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #6
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Only 3 O-lines have been selected twice for that weekly award.

The Texans are one of them.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Only 3 O-lines have been selected twice for that weekly award.

The Texans are one of them.
Only one has been selected 3 times. We need to fix that.

Old 12-07-2012   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post

I need to learn counting again, haha!

At any rate, the Niners line has been giving up a ton of sack.
I think ours is better then theirs.
Old 12-07-2012   #9
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't read the article but 12 out of 32 seems a little better than mediocre.
Old 12-07-2012   #10
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think I agree with the "We're improving" position on this but I think middle of the pack is about right. I haven't seen us get abused much this year and we haven't controlled the line of scrimmage like we did before we blew the right side up, at least not as often.

We're fine.
Old 12-07-2012   #11
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235719 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

We fall short with Derek Newton run block rating of -10.9, Ben Jones pass block rating og -6.3, and Antoine Caldwell pass block rating of -3.4 and run block rating of -5.2.

Jones is trending better, while Newton & Caldwell are pretty much holding where they are.

Ryan Harris has been a nice addition with an overall +5.8 rating.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
We fall short with Derek Newton run block rating of -10.9, Ben Jones pass block rating og -6.3, and Antoine Caldwell pass block rating of -3.4 and run block rating of -5.2.

Jones is trending better, while Newton & Caldwell are pretty much holding where they are.

Ryan Harris has been a nice addition with an overall +5.8 rating.
This is inconsistent with the numbers from Football Outsiders.

We averaged 4.96 yards off RT (which often consist the RG and the RT)
Last year number was 4.6

We averaged 3.29 yards off LT.
Last year was 4.16

We averaged 4.19 yards to right end (which often consist the RT)
Last year was 4.15

It seems to indicate that Newton and Harris are doing fine

The numbers for Mid/Guard is down this year.
4.20 from 4.57

It seems to me Wade Smith is having a down year in run blocking (perhaps due to his nagging injury).

The number from the LT spot actually has improved.
It was something like 2.98 yards earlier in the year when I noted that we had a lot of negative run play around Wade Smith.

Casey has not done well either as he doesn't win at the line much.

Graham has been at least as good as Dreesen in run blocking and it helps the outside zone run.
We are better to both sides of the field than last year.

It looks to me like all 3 of our tackles are doing better than last year in run blocking while our guards are not doing as good of a job.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read