Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-06-2012   #1
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 119552 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Vs Patriots NFL Films Preview.

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...5-99b21228e84d

Would of been better if they called it

NFL Films love of the Patriots Preview.....just saying.
Old 12-06-2012   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 286048 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Texans Vs Patriots NFL Films Preview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...5-99b21228e84d

Would of been better if they called it

NFL Films love of the Patriots Preview.....just saying.
Two things worry me about the Patriots
  1. They feed on the other teams mistakes

Most people aren't going to like it, but a key for us will be to play Gary-ball. Conservative, turtle-like. We can't take chances. Need to be patient, no panic, poised. A ball thrown behind a receiver, or a little late, or a player fighting for extra yards can turn into another possession for the Patriots, or worse, 6 points.

I don't think they beat us if we don't turn the ball over.
  2. Brady keeps plays alive

Our defense struggles when the QB gets out of the pocket & extend plays. Brady isn't RG III, but he doesn't have to be. He extends plays, he's always looking down-field, and he's a stone-cold killer. Antonio Smith is the key. Watt's going to get his, but Antonio has to finish. Chasing Brady out of the pocket isn't going to help us. QB hurries isn't going to help us. He's got to prevent Brady from throwing the ball, or straight up take it from him.
Old 12-06-2012   #3
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134590 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Most people aren't going to like it, but a key for us will be to play Gary-ball. Conservative, turtle-like. We can't take chances. Need to be patient, no panic, poised.
^this. Running the ball and keeping Brady off the field.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 180779 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Two things worry me about the Patriots
  1. They feed on the other teams mistakes
The Pats lead the league in turnover ratio. The Texans are 2nd. Both teams feed off mistakes. The Pats are have a better defense against the run than the pass, so turtling their way to a win is not likely for the Texans. Not that I think they'll try. Or that Kubiak will abandon the run. The Texans will go with a balanced attack as they have all year long.
Old 12-07-2012   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 286048 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The Texans will go with a balanced attack as they have all year long.
And many fans here will call that turtling. Not me.... I was using the term tongue in cheek.

As far as both teams feeding off other teams mistakes, they average 40 pts/game thanks to their turnover ratio. Us, not so much. Take last Sunday for example, 6 turnovers, 3 points.

We can force them to turnover the ball, like we did against Chicago & score 13 points. If we turn it over, they are likely to score 49, or 59, or 37
Old 12-07-2012   #6
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123766 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And many fans here will call that turtling. Not me.... I was using the term tongue in cheek.

As far as both teams feeding off other teams mistakes, they average 40 pts/game thanks to their turnover ratio. Us, not so much. Take last Sunday for example, 6 turnovers, 3 points.

We can force them to turnover the ball, like we did against Chicago & score 13 points. If we turn it over, they are likely to score 49, or 59, or 37
Personally I think this whole "turtling" term is hilarious. Lol! I don't speak of it as tongue in cheek though. Kubiak turtles his ass off. He totally did against the Lions and it would have cost us the game in most circumstances against other teams. It's pretty funny how you guys make fun of this term though even though you disagree with it's context.

We need a giff or a picture of Kubiak carrying around a turtle I tell ya.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...1-5f6619a61ca3

Good infos
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2012   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

ESPN, which will televise the game, sent a camera crew and reporter Bob Holtzman to Reliant Stadium for the day. They broadcast Texans coach Gary Kubiak’s press conference live on ESPN, which was very likely a first. The Texans were on SportsCenter, NFL Live and other ESPN programming all day, which also rarely – if ever – happens.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...7-41ea4cdb8586
Old 12-07-2012   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
ESPN, which will televise the game, sent a camera crew and reporter Bob Holtzman to Reliant Stadium for the day. They broadcast Texans coach Gary Kubiak’s press conference live on ESPN, which was very likely a first. The Texans were on SportsCenter, NFL Live and other ESPN programming all day, which also rarely – if ever – happens.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...7-41ea4cdb8586
I read that this morning and thought to myself that even our own offices are noticing the difference.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #10
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I read that this morning and thought to myself that even our own offices are noticing the difference.
Texans want to win this game.
They will be on TV a lot once they accomplish that task.
I want this one so badly.
Old 12-07-2012   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Texans want to win this game.
They will be on TV a lot once they accomplish that task.
I want this one so badly.
Haven't they been on TV a lot already? Monday Night @ the Jets, Sunday Night @ the Bears, Thanksgiving @ Detroit, Monday Night @ the Patriots?

I personally don't like prime time games, especially at home. Screws up my whole schedule.
Old 12-07-2012   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Somebody googles Jon Gruden Texans Pats and put up a link please.

I don't know how to do it from my IPhone.
Old 12-07-2012   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Haven't they been on TV a lot already? Monday Night @ the Jets, Sunday Night @ the Bears, Thanksgiving @ Detroit, Monday Night @ the Patriots?

I personally don't like prime time games, especially at home. Screws up my whole schedule.
Get use to it, LOL
Old 12-07-2012   #14
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Remember when we were going to play the Bears and the Bears defense thrived off turnovers and blah blah blah?

Yeah, I see the same kinds of things happening.
Old 12-07-2012   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 380289 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Somebody googles Jon Gruden Texans Pats and put up a link please.

I don't know how to do it from my IPhone.
Link

This is probably what you are looking for.
Old 12-07-2012   #16
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Thanks ICak.

I was wanting to point to the part where he talks about Walter as the unsung hero; the things he said were exactly what some of us had mentioned before the season started.
Old 12-07-2012   #17
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 84722 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Patriots are leading the league in scoring and turnovers differential, at 35.8 and 24

Texans are second in the league, with 29.3 and 14

So essentially, they score a touchdown more and get one more turnover per game, which seems fairly appropriate.

Since statistics will tell you what you want to hear, in this case it is that the Pats are a high scoring offense capable of dropping 50 points on a team, sometimes we have to look at the number a bit more deeply:

The first seven weeks of the season the Pats averaged 31 points a game. Their season average is being severely tweaked by a four week run where they averaged 48 points a game against teams in the bottom half in points allowed.

These same teams also are a combined -30 on turnover differential, which is indicative of ball control issues against all opponents, not just NE.

And finally, all four teams are ranked in the bottom half of the league for scoring offenses, averaging as a group 21 points per game.

Last week against Miami, which is currently #11 in scoring defense, the Pats managed 23 points.

All this to point out that the Pats simply took advantage of low scoring teams with porous defenses that were prone to turnovers to rack up a whole heck of a lot of points that were not needed to win the game, considering their average margin of victory was 27 points.

The Texans score almost 30 points a game, are third in the league in giveaways with only 12 and have the 4th best points allowed on defense.

Incidentally, the three losses for the Pats? All to teams in the Top 10 in points allowed: Arizona, Baltimore and Seattle. And none of those teams have a scoring offense like the Texans.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
Patriots are leading the league in scoring and turnovers differential, at 35.8 and 24

Texans are second in the league, with 29.3 and 14

So essentially, they score a touchdown more and get one more turnover per game, which seems fairly appropriate.

Since statistics will tell you what you want to hear, in this case it is that the Pats are a high scoring offense capable of dropping 50 points on a team, sometimes we have to look at the number a bit more deeply:

The first seven weeks of the season the Pats averaged 31 points a game. Their season average is being severely tweaked by a four week run where they averaged 48 points a game against teams in the bottom half in points allowed.

These same teams also are a combined -30 on turnover differential, which is indicative of ball control issues against all opponents, not just NE.

And finally, all four teams are ranked in the bottom half of the league for scoring offenses, averaging as a group 21 points per game.

Last week against Miami, which is currently #11 in scoring defense, the Pats managed 23 points.

All this to point out that the Pats simply took advantage of low scoring teams with porous defenses that were prone to turnovers to rack up a whole heck of a lot of points that were not needed to win the game, considering their average margin of victory was 27 points.

The Texans score almost 30 points a game, are third in the league in giveaways with only 12 and have the 4th best points allowed on defense.

Incidentally, the three losses for the Pats? All to teams in the Top 10 in points allowed: Arizona, Baltimore and Seattle. And none of those teams have a scoring offense like the Texans.
Good points!

I saw quite a few unforced or dumb TOs by the opponents that led to scores for the Pats.

Ya' know like Sanchez running into his own lineman!
Old 12-07-2012   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Good points!

I saw quite a few unforced or dumb TOs by the opponents that led to scores for the Pats.

Ya' know like Sanchez running into his own lineman!
Still, my point is the same they score off their turnovers, we don't.
Old 12-07-2012   #20
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Still, my point is the same they score off their turnovers, we don't.
How are we gonna score when the ref blows the play dead on the Assassin

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read