Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Another Reason to Love Andre Johnson

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
Texans WR Andre Johnson this morning spent over $19,000 on toys for children in protective services.

47294_501193759901370_329402088_n.jpg

Link goes to Facebook post of it:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=501193759901370&set=a.277510992269649.68939.234308296589919&type=1&theater

Pretty cool how he does this with little fanfare. Seems like some guy with a cameraphone snapped this.

I believe Andre and many other Texans, old and new, support a CPS affiliated home out in Sugarland. I have heard many good things about it - really nice facility, etc. More than likely he is taking these toys there.

Aj is someone I'd want to sit in my living room with and just talk about non football stuff. I admire him as a player but even more as a man.

He's a great dude and we are lucky to have him as a fan base and as a city. He is an asset and positive role model in so many ways that I'm just glad the first regime got at least one thing right.

A.J. for mayor!....after winning 3-4 rings, of course. :texflag:

I'm going to take a contrarian view.

He stiffs people on tips and autographs, stuff that's not publicized.

He gives $19k in the form of toys that IS publicized.

Do the math: He's not the same guy in all situations.

STILL, overall, YES he's an upstanding citizen and great role model. I just wanted to point out that he finds ways to be inconsistent to people he bumps into out in the real world.

I just wanted to point out that he finds ways to be inconsistent to people he bumps into out in the real world.

So you're telling me that someone has been in bad mood a few times in a ten year span? Color me surprised.:barman:

This story brought a huge smile to my face. What a great guy. He deserves a superbowl ring.

Yes he does, as does the city of Houston

My wife is a social worker and loves stuff like this, she wishes we lived there so she could work with him and his casues

STILL, overall, YES he's an upstanding citizen and great role model. I just wanted to point out that he finds ways to be inconsistent to people he bumps into out in the real world.

Please give me and everyone else details on all these tips he stiffs people on. As far as autographs I'm not sure if you or anyone else is aware but he isn't obligated to sign sh!t whenever others want him to.

AJ in terms of a superstar nfl player and more importantly a star WR doesn't fit the mold. He isn't a diva, he doesn't ask for attention and doesn't work to stay in the spotlight.

Please give me and everyone else details on all these tips he stiffs people on. As far as autographs I'm not sure if you or anyone else is aware but he isn't obligated to sign sh!t whenever others want him to.

AJ in terms of a superstar nfl player and more importantly a star WR doesn't fit the mold. He isn't a diva, he doesn't ask for attention and doesn't work to stay in the spotlight.

All of that and he came from the "U"..

A poster here once accused him of stiffing her daughter at a restaurant. There's a thread on it somewhere.

A poster here once accused him of stiffing her daughter at a restaurant. There's a thread on it somewhere.

Fwiw are you telling me that A single possible event caused this opinion of AJ?

I never stretched reality when repeating it to my parents

HATERS+GONNA+HATE_05d460_3317189.jpg

Stud!!One of my favorite players in the league and a role model for players coming up on any team. Wish my Boys had some like him.

STILL, overall, YES he's an upstanding citizen and great role model.

That's not really a contrarian view, man. It looks like you are trying to have your cake and eat it, too.

The rest of your post just shows that A.J. is human like the rest of us.

As far as publicity, what is wrong with publicizing charity to help at-risk kids, single parents, shelters for abused people, and food banks? I hope he inspires lots of folks to help out. This world needs more people like him to be quite honest. He's not a typical WR in the NFL that looks for self-gloss.

That's not really a contrarian view, man. It looks like you are trying to have your cake and eat it, too.

The rest of your post just shows that A.J. is human like the rest of us.

As far as publicity, what is wrong with publicizing charity to help at-risk kids, single parents, shelters for abused people, and food banks? I hope he inspires lots of folks to help out. This world needs more people like him to be quite honest. He's not a typical WR in the NFL that looks for self-gloss.

Sure.

I guess if I had to really convey the "why" of what I said, it would be this idea we have that what we see on a Facebook or twitter feed, or what we see in ESPN The Magazine, or what we see through Texans' public relations efforts, is the official guidebook for what a player *is* in his real life.

We always wonder why we never could picture Marvin Harrison as this guy who would run down a street and shoot a dude in broad daylight. I mean, wow, who saw THAT coming?

Who saw Steve McNair getting off'd by a Dave & Buster's waitress?

I just wanted to say, and probably it's quasi trouble-making in this thread, that pictures and Good Samaritan deeds (while nice, i agree) don't always paint the full picture of what a person is.

For all I know, he's a bad tipper and doesn't like to placate people out in public for whatever reason. That could be all of it.

Whether a person is a star or not, I typically find myself somewhat disappointed in any person who stiffs a waiter or says things like "I won't give YOU an autograph...but I'll give an autograph to HER..." Then it's "Smile for the camera! You bought a **** load of toys for kids! Way to go!"

It's the duality of our life: The public persona and the more accurate picture of what we look like when we think we're not on camera. That's all. But yeah, dude is way above and beyond his colleagues in terms of acts of kindness. Cannot argue that at all. And I think that's good.

I just wanted to say, and probably it's quasi trouble-making in this thread, that pictures and Good Samaritan deeds (while nice, i agree) don't always paint the full picture of what a person is.

For all I know, he's a bad tipper and doesn't like to placate people out in public for whatever reason. That could be all of it.

Whether a person is a star or not, I typically find myself somewhat disappointed in any person who stiffs a waiter or says things like "I won't give YOU an autograph...but I'll give an autograph to HER..." Then it's "Smile for the camera! You bought a **** load of toys for kids! Way to go!"

Why is it he has to placate everyone to be the Great guy? He has every right to go out to dinner without a bunch of folks walking up to him while he is taking a bite and ask for an autograph. And like Champs said you are basing your opinion on what others have said and also by what others have done to disappoint you. He has done this every year that I can think of, a couple of years ago he bought a chit load of bicycles.

I am sorry that Santa did not get you that pony you wanted when you were a little boy.

I once saw Arian Foster at the Galleria with his family. A few people (adults and kids), were bugging him about autographs, pictures and whatnot, but he just wanted to shop and be on his way. I can't blame him, these people do have lives and other things to do.

I've been shopping out with a few different guys who were asked for autographs. They'll pick and choose their spots when they'll sign them based on how much attention it'll draw sometimes.

Hearing the negatives about this make me sick. 12 kids got the opportunity of a lifetime and then some people want to think about the Why. Who cares why? Hopefully it gives a nudge to others in Andre's position to match his generosity for whatever reason that motivates them. If the end result always affects people in a positive way then i'll be just as happy about their giving as well.

Why is it he has to placate everyone to be the Great guy? He has every right to go out to dinner without a bunch of folks walking up to him while he is taking a bite and ask for an autograph. And like Champs said you are basing your opinion on what others have said and also by what others have done to disappoint you. He has done this every year that I can think of, a couple of years ago he bought a chit load of bicycles.

I am sorry that Santa did not get you that pony you wanted when you were a little boy.

If you and your wife were beside him, you asked if you could have an autograph, and declined....then turned to your wife and says to her "But I'll sign one for her" would your opinion of him change?

What's the price tag on character? A bunch of bikes and toys for disadvantaged kids?

Look, you are all purposefully trying to throw rotten tomatoes at me over this. Which is too bad. The point is that we still don't know who these guys really are. A photo of some receipts looks good, but there's been multiple stories of him shorting people in tips and autographs. You know, stuff that doesn't get publicized.

It gets hard to tell what's real and what's just posing for the right shots. So sue me. It's a thought I had. Geez.

If you and your wife were beside him, you asked if you could have an autograph, and declined....then turned to your wife and says to her "But I'll sign one for her" would your opinion of him change?

What's the price tag on character? A bunch of bikes and toys for disadvantaged kids?

Look, you are all purposefully trying to throw rotten tomatoes at me over this. Which is too bad. The point is that we still don't know who these guys really are. A photo of some receipts looks good, but there's been multiple stories of him shorting people in tips and autographs. You know, stuff that doesn't get publicized.

It gets hard to tell what's real and what's just posing for the right shots. So sue me. It's a thought I had. Geez.

There's someone in the comment section of the PFT article yesterday who says he received a $100 tip from AJ after he detailed his car. Andre was out to eat with other people when this one incident of a tip not being left was brought into here and none of us know what really happened.

As far as the autographs go, plenty of athletes will refuse autographs to grown men. They feel like guys' intentions are to profit from it. I doubt anyone believes Andre is perfect, but its pretty sad of you to base your opinions off of what you hear on the internet. You sound like that girl in that commercial. Its on the internet so it must be true right?

There's someone in the comment section of the PFT article yesterday who says he received a $100 tip from AJ after he detailed his car. Andre was out to eat with other people when this one incident of a tip not being left was brought into here and none of us know what really happened.

As far as the autographs go, plenty of athletes will refuse autographs to grown men. They feel like guys' intentions are to profit from it. I doubt anyone believes Andre is perfect, but its pretty sad of you to base your opinions off of
what you hear on the internet. You sound like that girl in that commercial. Its on the internet so it must be true right?

Bone Sure, he says. Hell, he looked french to me. :stirpot:

If by "multiple" you mean "one of each", then your statement is accurate. But it sounds intentionally misleading to me. Put up or shut up, let's see some info on these alleged stories. Links, quotes, threads?

And you are purposefully throwing poo on this story for what ever reason. As far as multiple stories; sorry pal but I have only heard of one and it was someone who said it on here. Hell Dick Justice has not even reported anything about this.

As far as asking for an autograph, I would have more respect than do it while he was out to dinner or a movie. I would at a football game, training camp, a practice or maybe at an Astros game.

As far as asking for an autograph, I would have more respect than do it while he was out to dinner or a movie. I would at a football game, training camp, a practice or maybe at an Astros game.

Yup, context is important for autographs or even trying to talk to athletes/celebrities especially with locals who are up against constant recognition. People need to give some space.

Having said that, my wife ended up with a friend at Pappas Steakhouse when the super bowl was in Houston. Pamela Anderson sat down nearby. She went over and said hi to Anderson (no autograph request) who was very gracious. When she asked for the check it had been picked up by Pam.

I know a bouncer at one of the bars AJ frequents and by all reports from him AJ is very generous as a norm.

His loyalty to this organization and city during an era where elite athletes can sign with whoever they want says a lot about his character.

The fact that he has continuously supported charities, both his and others, that help disadvantaged children says a lot about his character.

The fact that he's a WR from The "U" but doesn't showboat, smack talk, or prop himself, says a lot about his character.

yeah, none of us "know" the guy on a personal level, and none of us claim to know him that well. But using one report of a stiffed tip, which is disputed if his agent/companion paid the bill, is skating on thin ice.

And I begrudge no one for the autograph thing. The public is rabid about this stuff, often caring less about your personal space or whatever you are doing in order to satiate their thirst to touch stardom. I think it borders on weird with some of these autograph seekers. I've seen many seriously obsessed with it to the point of stalking people when I was working as a roadie for a sound company.

His loyalty to this organization and city during an era where elite athletes can sign with whoever they want says a lot about his character.

The fact that he has continuously supported charities, both his and others, that help disadvantaged children says a lot about his character.

The fact that he's a WR from The "U" but doesn't showboat, smack talk, or prop himself, says a lot about his character.

yeah, none of us "know" the guy on a personal level, and none of us claim to know him that well. But using one report of a stiffed tip, which is disputed if his agent/companion paid the bill, is skating on thin ice.

And I begrudge no one for the autograph thing. The public is rabid about this stuff, often caring less about your personal space or whatever you are doing in order to satiate their thirst to touch stardom. I think it borders on weird with some of these autograph seekers. I've seen many seriously obsessed with it to the point of stalking people when I was working as a roadie for a sound company.

Yeah DB, all in this post is true, but he will beat the "F" out of an Innagin after telling on the sidelines that "I'm gonna tear that a$$ up" :D

D'oh.

Take it to that thread and b*tch about it in there. I have no opinion of the incident in THIS thread. Thanks.

Last I checked this thread was about his generosity and his character so someone questioning or degrading him is worthy of discussion IN THIS THREAD

Thanks for the worthless advice Mr Thread Organizer :kubepalm:

Last I checked this thread was about his generosity and his character so someone questioning or degrading him is worthy of discussion IN THIS THREAD

Thanks for the worthless advice Mr Thread Organizer :kubepalm:

This thread was supposed to be about those kids.

You get your feelings hurt real easy don't you? BTW, to answer your PM... NO, I did not neg rep you. You can click on your control panel and it will tell you who left you rep.

I love the picture!

Those toys may break down or become obsolete, but that experience with AJ will stay with them forever! :)

VIDEO

it's pretty obvious that he enjoys what he's doing, and the pride when saying "every year the kids have gotten things for their brothers and sisters ... it's amazing what type of kids they are ... they think about others".

Yep. His contract negotiations and "hold out" a couple of years ago told me all I need to know about what kind of man he is. I don't know how anyone, especially in Houston, could have a bad word to say about him.

If someone had a bad experience with him, I suspect they did something to deserve it.

Back