Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-08-2005   #1
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Hollings No. 3 RB on Depth Chart

Texans | Hollings No. 3 RB on Depth Chart - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 8 Jun 2005 13:25:11 -0700

Carter Toole, of HoustonTexans.com, reports Houston Texans RB Tony Hollings is currently the No. 3 running back on the team's depth chart.
Texans | Hollings Feeling Good - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 8 Jun 2005 13:30:11 -0700

Carter Toole, of HoustonTexans.com, reports Houston Texans RB Tony Hollings (hamstring) says he's feeling good and that his hamstring is in good shape. "I'm just trying to come out here and compete every day," said Hollins, who missed eight games in 2004 with a hamstring injury. "I want to show the coaches that I can be one of the vets they can count on."

Does this mean Wells is at #2 and Hollings is at #3 or is Morency our #2 and Wells is at FB or #4? I checked our depth chart and it shows Wells at #3 but our depth chart looks old....does anyone know?
Old 06-08-2005   #2
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Does this mean Wells is at #2 and Hollings is at #3 or is Morency our #2 and Wells is at FB or #4? I checked our depth chart and it shows Wells at #3 but our depth chart looks old....does anyone know?
Wells is currently #2. Don't worry though because Morency will be there by the time the season starts.

Quote:
For now Hollings is third on the Texans' depth chart at running back, behind Domanick Davis and Jonathan Wells.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ne...php?PRKey=1722
Old 06-08-2005   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wags, how do you think things will end up by the start of the season? Will it be Davis, Morency, and Hollings and Wells at FB/special teams or Davis, Morency, Hollings, and Wells?
Old 06-08-2005   #4
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Wags, how do you think things will end up by the start of the season? Will it be Davis, Morency, and Hollings and Wells at FB/special teams or Davis, Morency, Hollings, and Wells?
I think it will be:

Davis
Morency
Wells
Hollings

I give Wells the nod over Hollings because JW has special teams value. Hollings hasn't done anything except test out our medical staff.
Old 06-08-2005   #5
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it will be:

Davis
Hollings
Morency

Hollings will get a chance to show if he is ready to be an RB in the NFL.. if he doesnt give 110% or gets injured again (even minor injuries) then him and Morency will switch positions.

Norris will be our starting fullback with Wells backing him up.

We will essentially have 4 possible RBs.. but Wells will be able to play backup FB and special teams.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005   #6
Jwwillis
All Pro

Tricky question.

They will enter the season

Davis
Wells
Hollings
Morency

If Davis goes down early I'd bet they give Hollings his shot. Wells doesn't have the speed to run the plays designed for Davis. With Hollings they can use more of the normal playbook. Speaking of playbook, this is why I dont mention Morency. Capers has enough expierence at RB to avoid throwing in a rookie to start. Since Capers might have 1 play that goes to the full back, Im not sure why he would use Wells as a FB. All a FB does in Capers offense is block. Perhaps it would open up some play action stuff in the middle (Wells can catch right?). Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. One thing for sure, they ALL better be running ball stripping drills 3 hrs every day.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005   #7
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i don't think that's the way it'll go...remember capers likes the bigger back...i think it will be davis, morency, wells...and hollings waived
Old 06-08-2005   #8
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
remember capers likes the bigger back

That is not as I remember Capers RB's
Old 06-08-2005   #9
Jwwillis
All Pro

And Palmer liked the run-n-shoot. Diffrent team. The zone blocking scheme was put in for Davis's style of running. It depends on a quick back to make quick decisions on cut back type runs. See above about playbook. Capers will give Hollings a shot before the rookie.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005   #10
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Capers like a steady back.. the size really doesnt seem to come into the equation. I thought that Capers was a big back kinda guy too for a long time.. but ive come to realize that, really, he is a "whatever back fits" kinda guy. I mean.. he passed on some bigger backs to get Morency.. a DD clone.

I still think Davis, Hollings, Morency will be our lineup.. with Wells as a FB. Wells can block well enough to play backup fullback.. the main reason to put him at FB will be because he will provide depth at two positions, and is one of our best Special Teams players.
Old 06-08-2005   #11
Grid
Hall of Fame

oh.. and about us only having one FB play.. maybe with a FB like Wells in the backfield.. we will change that.
Old 06-08-2005   #12
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I'll go with it shaking out like this.

RB: Davis, Morrency, Hollings

FB: Norris, Wells

This would mean Baxter wouldn't make the final roster. I think the Baxter and Wells battle will be an interesting one to watch.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005   #13
Texansbacker
Veteran

If Hollings has truly turned the corner on his injuries and lack of performance then he could be used as a change of pace back to DD or Morency. I see DD and Morency as the same type back and probably interchangeable with the nod going to DD since he has proved he can perform at a very high level when healthy. Wells should go to fullback for his best chance of contributing and can always fill in as RB if we have a string of injuries. IMO
Texansbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413120 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedHuztla713
I say it ends up like this:

Rb's: Davis, Morency, Hollings
and Fb's: Wells, and Baxter

im not impressed by the way Moran Norris plays and what im saying is release him before the '05 season.
Norris has quietly become one of the better blocking FB's in the league. JMO but his job isn't in any jeopardy at all. Baxter on the other hand should be looking over his shoulder.
Old 06-09-2005   #15
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I can't remember who had the season-ending injury. Was it Norris or Baxter?
Either way, DD has stated how he has become comfortable with Norris blocking. Why would a coach break up the chemistry of a 1000-yard back?

RB's 1st 6 weeks:
DD
Hollings
Morency
RB's rest of the season:
DD
Morency
Hollings (hanging by a thread; he better show some flash n dash this year)

FB:
Norris
Wells
Old 06-09-2005   #16
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it was the Denver preseason game last year when Davis and Hollings both played. Anyway, on the openning drive Davis had something like 6 carries for 38 yards and looked great. He came out for a breather and Hollings took a toss and exploded for about a 30 yard TD down the left sideline.

If Hollings is healthy, I'm still hopeful that we'll being seeing more of that. I was certainly excited about those two going into last season.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413120 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Here you go--Link

Davis ran 28 yards and then Hollings came in to finish off the 1st drive and did it in one play with a 27 yd TD burst.
Old 06-09-2005   #18
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Apparently many people here have forgotten, but Hollings was touted as at least as good of a prospect as Morency before being drafted by the Texans in the second round of the supplemental draft two years ago. However, Hollings came with two issues:

1. He was coming off of a season ending ACL Injury, and it would take him at least a year to recover.
2. He only played for one year in college - actually only part of a year. Despite his excellent showing during the games that he played, anyone who drafted him was expected to realize he was going to be on a steep learning curve, and that he would require an above average amount of time to mature and learn the NFL game.

With Dominick Davis perfoming well in the starting role, Hollings has not gotten a lot of playing time. Some may have taken that to mean that Hollings is not playing well. It is not clear to me that this is true. I would still not rule out Hollings taking over the starting spot at some point. I am not predicting this, but Davis has had a history of injuries, and if he gets injured again this year, the door to the starter's job will swing wide open. I do not believe that Davis will receive the deference that Carr does at QB - if Davis goes down for any significant length of time, he will have to fight to get his job back.

Morency may be the current fan favorite, but let's be realistic. Every year there are many who quickly begin prognosticating about how quickly the latest rookie sensation will take over the starting job at ______ position. It's fun to do this. I enjoy it, too. However, in this case, we appear to have four good quality NFL backs on the roster. According to the coaches, Wells is playing great. We may not have seen Tony Hollings best yet. Davis has been a solid starter, when healthy. Morency looked great at Oklahoma State last year.

This may be the most competitive position competition on the Texan's football team. We are all curious to see what the depth chart will look like at RB to begin the season. What may be more interesting, is to guess what it will look like at the end of the season. We could see some surprises here. The season ending depth chart could have these four backs in almost any conceivable order.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #19
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan
Apparently many people here have forgotten, but Hollings was touted as at least as good of a prospect as Morency before being drafted by the Texans in the second round of the supplemental draft two years ago.
Tony Hollings had an outstanding but very mercurial career as a college RB who got a big recommendation from his head coach, formerly an NFL coach whose opinion Cass apparently held in very high regard. On the basis of that recommendation and Hollings's 4 game career (knee injury took him out for
the rest of the season), as a RB in college, Cass commited what is clearly his
worst mistake while with the Texans in terms of who to select with precious
college draft picks. After using a 2nd round pick on Hollings, his redemption, in the view of many fans, was picking up Dominick Davis with a 4th round pick.
The Davis pick was probably more dumb luck that an astute choice because
you have to ask yourself why Cass, or some other team ffor that matter, did not pick DD before the 4th round had they had any idea he would turn out this successful.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This may be the most competitive position competition on the Texan's football team. We are all curious to see what the depth chart will look like at RB to begin the season. What may be more interesting, is to guess what it will look like at the end of the season. We could see some surprises here. The season ending depth chart could have these four backs in almost any conceivable order.
Well the WR position has its share of competition going on there except that Johnson is the only inked starter without any question. If you look at it, all of our skill positions except QB have a great amount of comp on the offensive end. That should take us a long way.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read