Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 4 Days Ago   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ESPN suspends Bill Simmons:comments about Goodell

Quote:
ESPN has suspended Bill Simmons for three weeks after he repeatedly called NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell a liar during a profane tirade on a podcast.

ESPN announced the suspension Wednesday.

"Every employee must be accountable to ESPN and those engaged in our editorial operations must also operate within ESPN's journalistic standards," ESPN said in a statement. "Bill Simmons did not meet those obligations in a recent podcast, and as a result we have suspended him for three weeks."

Simmons' podcast was released Tuesday. He said he thought Goodell lied about not knowing what was on a security video that showed former Ravens running back Ray Rice hitting his wife in an elevator.

Simmons is the editor of the sports web site "Grantland," which is owned by ESPN. He also appears on ESPN's NBA studio shows.
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...tcmp=obnetwork

video included.
Old 3 Days Ago   #2
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 92750 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ESPN suspends Bill Simmons:comments about Goodell

In other words, many people watch ESPN because of the NFL and they have to walk a fine line between journalism and not upsetting the machine (the NFL) that feeds them.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #3
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
In other words, many people watch ESPN because of the NFL and they have to walk a fine line between journalism and not upsetting the machine (the NFL) that feeds them.
Yep. They hire journalists for their opinions so long as their opinions are acceptable to the cash cow.

This little piece of nonsense was a favorite of mine.......
Quote:
.......must also operate within ESPN's journalistic standards,"
ESPN's journalistic standards? Am I missing something?
Old 3 Days Ago   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 335478 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

As an employer you don't tolerate an employee preemptively telling you to f'k off. I don't care what the subject matter was.
Old 3 Days Ago   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 3 Days Ago   #6
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
As an employer you don't tolerate an employee preemptively telling you to f'k off. I don't care what the subject matter was.
I disagree. I had an employee tell me that very thing after I outlined what I expected of him that day and I didn't fire him. God rest his soul.
Old 3 Days Ago   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 335478 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I disagree. I had an employee tell me that very thing after I outlined what I expected of him that day and I didn't fire him. God rest his soul.
So the employee with the shovel doesn't talk about Terlingua.
Old 3 Days Ago   #8
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129553 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Godell is a POS and I'll be happy to see him go. Bring in Condi Rice as the next commissioner.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
Godell is a POS and I'll be happy to see him go. Bring in Condi Rice as the next commissioner.
Do you honestly believe that Rice would be willing to be the 32 owners' lap dog?

Because that is what is required of the NFL commish. This position is not paid to think independently of its 32 bosses.

Believing otherwise is simply naive idealism.
Old 3 Days Ago   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Oh sure, make it about race.
Old 3 Days Ago   #11
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98311 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Where have we seen that before?

That was a damn good show too.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #12
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 27534 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't believe so many people thinks Simmons suspension was about his comments about the NFL. It's NOT. This is a about an employee provoking and undermining his employer on a public stage. You don't openly say things like "I dare you," to your boss and not get reprimanded in any fashion. If he would've said that in a closed door then maybe the bosses will let that slide, maybe. But not in such public fashion.

Now that I thought about it some more, Simmons is damn lucky he didn't get fire. He took preemptive strike against his own company. I would've axed him and called a meeting to announce to everyone whoever wants to provoke our company in anyway, you come see us and we discuss what's on your mind behind closed door.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #13
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129553 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Oh sure, make it about race.
Hey Dr. Rice knows and loves football and I THINK would be far more hands off than the current commissioner. Everytime he speaks I hear Pete Roselle spinning in his grave.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Old 3 Days Ago   #14
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 27534 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
What if this happened during a company party. He stopped the music and went to grab the mic and announced his opinion of you and daring you to fire him? Would that make a difference?
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #15
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 293187 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

What Bill Simmons Showed About ESPN
Quote:
Would a political reporter be suspended by his news organization for calling the President a liar? Itís practically in the job description. Bill Simmons, of Grantland and other ESPN enterprises, called Roger Goodell, the N.F.L. commissioner, a liar in a podcast and challenged his bosses to tell him he couldnít say so. For that, Simmons has been suspended for three weeks...

Simmonsís anger is absolutely earned. Goodellís denial is absurd; as Iíve written before, what did he think it looked like when a football player knocked a woman unconscious?... At some point, ESPNís commentators should also get to call one of the more powerful men in their industry a liar.

ESPN has a financial relationship with the N.F.L.óMonday Night Football, to start with, for which it pays $1.9 billion a year in a contract, worth $15.2 billion in all, that runs through 2021óbut it also, one would think, has an interest in its own journalistic identity. That, ultimately, has to be a more essential asset than the integrity of its game-broadcasting contracts; itís what it has to barter. Without some assurance that they are getting fair, critical coverage, viewers might as well be watching the N.F.L. Network, or nothing at all. ESPN makes football seem real. And yet...

There are... rules, or guidelines, about not saying bad words about oneís ESPN colleagues or managers... But the N.F.L., as one hopes ESPN remembers, is not Simmonsís boss.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #16
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Do you honestly believe that Rice would be willing to be the 32 owners' lap dog?

Because that is what is required of the NFL commish. This position is not paid to think independently of its 32 bosses.

Believing otherwise is simply naive idealism.
She said she wanted the job...
Old 3 Days Ago   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 245830 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
What Bill Simmons Showed About ESPN
Quote:
ESPN has a financial relationship with the N.F.L.óMonday Night Football, to start with, for which it pays $1.9 billion a year in a contract, worth $15.2 billion in all, that runs through 2021óbut it also, one would think, has an interest in its own journalistic identity.

First... all we know is that ESPN fired Simmons for not upholding to their journalistic standards. Is that saying they demand a shred of proof before he goes & slanders someone... or is it libel?

Anyway. If ESPN has a contract with the NFL that runs through 2021, can the NFL just yank that contract? I wouldn't think so.

Lastly... other than Monday Night Football, I don't watch ESPN.
Old 3 Days Ago   #18
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 120726 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
First... all we know is that ESPN fired Simmons for not upholding to their journalistic standards. Is that saying they demand a shred of proof before he goes & slanders someone... or is it libel?

Anyway. If ESPN has a contract with the NFL that runs through 2021, can the NFL just yank that contract? I wouldn't think so.

Lastly... other than Monday Night Football, I don't watch ESPN.
Given what the AP has already made public, Goodell is either a liar or a complete incompetent.
Old 3 Days Ago   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

update: Simmons now says he is glad he did not double dog dare his employer. Cannot provide link as I just made it up.
Old 3 Days Ago   #20
robroy72
Veteran

Rep Power: 6816 robroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
She said she wanted the job...
It pays about eleventy billion dollars a year; I also want the job!
robroy72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read