Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-16-2014   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The PED suspension thread

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...cebook_atl_atl

Colts Mathis suspended 4 games
Figured this would be easier than starting a new thread when each player gets suspended .
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014   #2
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 141560 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The PED suspension thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

Figured this would be easier than starting a new thread when each player gets suspended .

Old 05-16-2014   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

And that is totally cool with me. Nobody felt sorry for Houston when Cushing got pregnant so I can't bring myself to feel bad for Indy. Pity we don't see them until week 6.
Old 05-16-2014   #4
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 128861 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i do feel a little bad for the man, if not the football player. if his story is true (these days you never know), mathis and his wife were unable to conceive and she couldnt take fertility drugs. obviously he should've checked with the nfl first instead of just the doctor. that being said, i cant hate the guy for wanting to start a family and the hardship of being unable to.
Old 05-16-2014   #5
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i do feel a little bad for the man, if not the football player. if his story is true (these days you never know), mathis and his wife were unable to conceive and she couldnt take fertility drugs. obviously he should've checked with the nfl first instead of just the doctor. that being said, i cant hate the guy for wanting to start a family and the hardship of being unable to.
Scoot, if you believe that you probably believed Cush when he came out with his nonsense story.

This guy knew exactly what he was taking. I don't know much about PED's and drug tests but I know when I smell bull**** and I am getting a nose full of bullcrap from his story.

Edit: If I'm wrong I should probably burn in hell but that's a risk I'm willing to take.
Old 05-16-2014   #6
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 128861 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

exactly right, it's near impossible to believe anything players say when they get get caught. i try to hope for the best though, and the drug he was busted for does match up, so there's a slim chance he's telling the truth.
Old 05-16-2014   #7
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
exactly right, it's near impossible to believe anything players say when they get get caught. i try to hope for the best though, and the drug he was busted for does match up, so there's a slim chance he's telling the truth. stupid of him, but i've seen the hurt and desperation when couples arent able to conceive.
I've been there myself and it's one of the worst feelings that I've been through, so I truly do feel bad for the guy if he's telling the truth. I just seriously doubt it. These guys don't eat a sandwich without knowing what's in it.
Old 05-16-2014   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Steroid Lugs Grab Midol, Manssieres and Clomid
Quote:
So there is Clomid, the wonder drug that mitigates the feminizing side effects brought on by steroid use. Call it a physical masking agent.

A player experiencing a testosterone dry spell while on steroids will probably want to kick-start nature’s pump once his doping cycle ends.

So there is Clomid, the miracle preserve of manville. It’s not just for female ovulation anymore.

The fertility drug is so popular among male dopers that the former Mets batboy Kirk Radomski kept a stash of Clomid in his pantry of steroid staples for the stars, a juicy cache that was seized when federal agents raided his Long Island home on Dec. 14, 2005.

Clomid is the Alfred Hitchcock of drugs, with its profile in at least one scene of every baseball steroid saga. It is everywhere: in the 2003 grand jury testimony of Barry Bonds and Jason Giambi as reported by The San Francisco Chronicle, on confiscated doping calendars from Balco, in the pages of “Game of Shadows,” on the World Anti-Doping Agency’s prohibited substance inventory.

It is everywhere but on the list of Major League Baseball’s banned substances — an indicator that baseball’s drug-testing policy remains deficient to the point of willful incompetence.

“Clomid is a red flag saying, ‘Hello, what’s wrong with this picture?’ ” said Dr. Gary I. Wadler, an associate professor of medicine at New York University and a member of the antidoping agency. “Why is a male taking this drug? In this context, there is no legitimate reason, only illegitimate.”
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014   #9
Scooter
Funky

well, lack of faith in humanity restored.
Old 05-17-2014   #10
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mathis

Sharp response from the league to the b.s. Mathis' lawyer was pumping...
Quote:
The drug for which Mr. Mathis tested positive is not approved by the FDA for fertility in males and is a performance-enhancing drug that has been prohibited for years...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014   #11
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Default Re: Mathis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Sharp response from the league to the b.s. Mathis' lawyer was pumping...
What a scumbag.
Old 05-17-2014   #12
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243454 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

The NFL may soon be able to counter some of these ridiculous "excuses" for players failing drug tests. Players and their agents have taken advantage of the CBA. Even with HIPAA restrictions, those rights are waived by implication if patients reveal their medical history in the presence of that particular audience. These player/agent claims would have to be considered as directed to a national audience. The right to privacy could definitely be questioned under these circumstances.

Quote:
Despite a report to the contrary, the NFL and NFLPA have not agreed to dramatic changes to the rules regarding marijuana pending an agreement on HGH testing. However, other tentative deals have been struck on changes to the drug policies that would be implemented if/when the two sides can resolve their lingering differences regarding HGH.

Per a source with direct knowledge of the negotiations, the new policies would allow the NFL to say more regarding the reason for a suspension arising under the policy against performance-enhancing drugs. Currently, the NFL simply announces the suspension (four games for a first offense), and the player and/or his agent can say whatever they want in the wake of the announcement.

The excuse of choice used to be the “my supplement was tainted.” The trend then became to claim that the suspension arose from Adderall use, which carries far less of a stigma than steroids. At least one twice-former NFL defensive rookie of the year claimed that his suspension resulted from not cheating but a cancer scare.

Through it all, the NFL can say nothing to counter whatever the player and/or his agent tenders to the media with the goal of avoiding the patina of cheating.

The new policy, whenever HGH testing becomes a reality, would allow the league to disseminate more information about the violation. This will make it harder for players and/or agents to lie — and it will give other players more guidance as to the specific compounds and products that could get them suspended, too.

The league’s interest in ensuring that players accept responsibility for violations became clear last night, when the NFL issued a statement in response to agent Hadley Englehard’s comments regarding a four-game suspension imposed on Colts linebacker Robert Mathis. Technically, the NFL’s remarks could amount to a violation of the policy, which provides that “[t]he confidentiality of players’ medical conditions and test results will be protected to the maximum extent possible, recognizing that players who are disciplined for violating this Policy will come to the attention of and be reported to the public and the media.”

But Englehard opened the door by addressing the situation, and it’s unfair for players and/or agents to say things that minimize their actions and create the impression that the NFL’s testing process only catches guys who aren’t actually breaking the rules. Eventually (we hope), the league will be able to say more about why and how a guy got himself suspended.
link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
well, lack of faith in humanity restored.
I agree. I wanted to believe his story, too. But, I did wonder why a dude would take a female ovulation drug.

Just wish the Texans were one of those first four games. Titans and Jags got lucky.
Old 05-18-2014   #14
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You believed that load of bull? Lol!
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 106568 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Robert Mathis' sack production by age:

23 - 3.5
24 - 10.5
25 - 11.5
26 - 9.5
27 - 7.0
28 - 11.5
29 - 9.5
30 - 11.0
31 - 9.5
32 - 8.0
33 - 19.5

Nah. He was clean last year...
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014   #16
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Only 2 reasons a guy takes Clomid. He wants to maximize the amount of male reproductive fluid he produces when he...or he is using it to kick start the natural production of Testosterone after a cycle of roids. I don't think Mathis is a porn star so I'm guessing it is the second.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014   #17
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
I've been there myself and it's one of the worst feelings that I've been through, so I truly do feel bad for the guy if he's telling the truth. I just seriously doubt it. These guys don't eat a sandwich without knowing what's in it.
If a Dr. prescribes Clomid it is going to be a woman with fertility problems, not a man. Guys take Clomid in order to induce natural testosterone production after a cycle. When your body is getting a ton of testosterone from an outside source, anabolic steroids, your nuts for the most part turn off and that is why steroid users experience testicular atrophy.
Old 05-22-2014   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243454 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
If a Dr. prescribes Clomid it is going to be a woman with fertility problems, not a man. Guys take Clomid in order to induce natural testosterone production after a cycle. When your body is getting a ton of testosterone from an outside source, anabolic steroids, your nuts for the most part turn off and that is why steroid users experience testicular atrophy.
I need to dispell some of what I am reading in this thread. Clomid is COMMONLY used in cases of male infertility to increase sperm count, quality and motility (basically by stimulating the production of testosterone). Yes it is not approved by the FDA for that purpose. However, there are many drugs approved by the FDA for a specific purpose, and then fortuitously (and sometimes accidentally) discovered to be effective in treatment of another condition.....and are used "off label" until that specific purpose is thoroughly investigated before it is approved. Just a few examples of common "off label" drug use before FDA approval: WELLBUTRIN initially used as an antidepressant, but early on also used for smoking cessation, later approved under the name Zyban; ADDERALL initially used as an ADD/ADHD drug in children only but used in adults anyway, later approved for use in adults; ZOLOFT an antidepressant, but used for treatment of premature ejaculation, a use to date that has still not been approved by FDA. And the list goes on.

That said, Clomid for male infertility must be taken for at least 1 month before adequate blood levels are even attained. And it has been shown to be ineffective in treating males for infertility unless that male suffers from significantly low testosterone to begin with. Supposedly Mathis says that he only took the drug for 10 days until he got his wife pregnant. Extremely unlikely timing. In order for blood levels to be reached for the detection by NFL testing, he would have had to been taking Clomid for quite a while........consistent with steroid cycling.

And, again, let's not forget that Urologists (and it's not the wife's obstetrician that should have been directing HIS treatment) are specifically made aware of banned substances in sports when treating their athletes. And certainly in the unlikely event that this is missed, by the CBA drug policy Clomid is specifically on the "forbidden list," a list that every NFL player is responsible for making themselves totally familiar with.

Mathis was not taking Clomid for the purpose of fertility enhancement, he was taking it for the purpose of avoiding a post steroidal performance enhancing crash.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014   #19
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I need to dispell some of what I am reading in this thread. Clomid is COMMONLY used in cases of male infertility to increase sperm count, quality and motility (basically by stimulating the production of testosterone). Yes it is not approved by the FDA for that purpose. However, there are many drugs approved by the FDA for a specific purpose, and then fortuitously (and sometimes accidentally) discovered to be effective in treatment of another condition.....and are used "off label" until that specific purpose is thoroughly investigated before it is approved. Just a few examples of common "off label" drug use before FDA approval: WELLBUTRIN initially used as an antidepressant, but early on also used for smoking cessation, later approved under the name Zyban; ADDERALL initially used as an ADD/ADHD drug in children only but used in adults anyway, later approved for use in adults; ZOLOFT an antidepressant, but used for treatment of premature ejaculation, a use to date that has still not been approved by FDA. And the list goes on.

That said, Clomid for male infertility must be taken for at least 1 month before adequate blood levels are even attained. And it has been shown to be ineffective in treating males for infertility unless that male suffers from significantly low testosterone to begin with. Supposedly Mathis says that he only took the drug for 10 days until he got his wife pregnant. Extremely unlikely timing. In order for blood levels to be reached for the detection by NFL testing, he would have had to been taking Clomid for quite a while........consistent with steroid cycling.

And, again, let's not forget that Urologists (and it's not the wife's obstetrician that should have been directing HIS treatment) are specifically made aware of banned substances in sports when treating their athletes. And certainly in the unlikely event that this is missed, by the CBA drug policy Clomid is specifically on the "forbidden list," a list that every NFL player is responsible for making themselves totally familiar with.

Mathis was not taking Clomid for the purpose of fertility enhancement, he was taking it for the purpose of avoiding a post steroidal performance enhancing crash.
Thanks again, Doc.

MSR

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014   #20
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

Thank you for correcting me, I thought that Clomid was only prescribed to women in order to help them with ovulation problems. I agree with you completely that the Dr. should have been aware that it is a banned substance and that Mathis was probably using Clomid in order to induce natural testosterone production as soon as possible, limiting the or eliminating steroid crash.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read