Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-27-2012   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Andy Reid

I'm not advocating for them to fire the guy. But if it is true that they are going to fire him at the end of the season (I've even heard as much as the owner has already said such), why don't they go ahead & do it now.

Personally, I think you'd be doing the guy a favor. He's got to have a lot of things on his mind. I thought the reason for the Eagle's troubles is precisely because of his issues & maybe he's getting a little burned out.

I understand it's never happened before, but I would have given him some time off after his son died. Let someone else take over the team for a little while, in an interim situation. Then let him come back & prepare for next year.

Good coaches are hard to find & Reid is one of the better ones. Another team is going to pick him up & they will see some manner of success.

If you were Lurie, would you try to fix what is wrong with Reid, or would you move on?
Old 11-27-2012   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andy Reid

Honestly, I'd bring him back.

But if they are planning on firing him maybe part of the reason they don't do it now is out of respect.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012   #3
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Fire him and hire Chip Kelley. Imagine what he could do with that offense...

However, I don't care for the Eagles, so I hope they keep Reid.
Old 11-27-2012   #4
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

He's going to end up in Detroit and set the world on fire.

Matt Stafford, Megatron, Titus Young, and Ryan Broyles under Reid? Oof. That's just dangerous.
Old 11-27-2012   #5
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
...why don't they go ahead & do it now.
Maybe out of respect. Reid is a class act and imo a heck of a lot better coaching option than Chucky or The Chin, or most of the other names you hear bandied about out there. Give him a better GM and a less meddlesome owner.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Maybe out of respect. Reid is a class act and imo a heck of a lot better coaching option than Chucky or The Chin, or most of the other names you hear bandied about out there. Give him a better GM and a less meddlesome owner.
I ask, because I watched his presser after the game on NFLN & it looked painful. I would think it would be an act of mercy to let him go. Or at least put him on temporary leave, not say whether you're going to fire him or not. I would think that would be the best thing to do for the organization. I personally wouldn't fire him. Give him some time off, let him get his stuff together.

After thinking it over, that's exactly what I'd do. Tell the media he's on leave to let him deal with his personal issues. Tell Reid, the ball is in his hands. He needs to figure out what he needs/wants to do, but he's got to give the organization an answer by Jan 25th (after the season, but before the Super Bowl). Then while he's gone, I would get with my football people & decide what we want to do going forward. If that means a new GM.. new GM & Coach... just a new Coach, whatever.

If we decide we want to continue with Reid & Reid decides he wants to continue coaching, then alls good. We're on the same page & we go forward.

If we decide we want to continue with Reid but he doesn't want to, I'll try to convince him to stay, explain to him what changes we're going to make to make him successful. However, if in the end he still doesn't want to stay with the Eagles, I'd ask him to stay out of football for a year.

If we decide we don't want to go forward with Reid & he wants to keep coaching, we break the news to him. However, we'll allow him to announce his resignation & ask him to stay away from coaching for a year (it's up to Reid if he wants to do that or not, however since I just gave him a month off with pay, I'd expect him to work with me). If he doesn't, that's ok. I still think I did the right thing.

If we decide & Andy decides we need to part ways, then we do so, no strings attached.

But bottom line, I wouldn't subject him to any more of those press conferences & weeks of media scrutiny. I think that's cruel.
Old 11-28-2012   #7
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

poor demco
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-28-2012   #8
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
poor demco
Yeah... it does look like he got traded into the middle of a bad reality TV show doesn't it.

OTOH, it could be worse. Winston walked into a horror flick.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

While I don't give a crap about the Eagles, I would give Reid another year only because what he's had to deal with in his personal life. Losing a son would be a distraction no matter who you are.
Old 11-28-2012   #10
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78568 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
While I don't give a crap about the Eagles, I would give Reid another year only because what he's had to deal with in his personal life. Losing a son would be a distraction no matter who you are.
Dammit Bill ! That doesn't count. This is "The League".

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012   #11
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Dammit Bill ! That doesn't count. This is "The League".
Forgive me my brother... Unlike the Lion, I have a heart.

Or was it the Tin man that didn't have heart... Hell! I'm gettin' old so it's all the same to me.
Old 11-29-2012   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think there's anything wrong with Reid .... I think it boils down to a lack of talent at too many positions ... Having so much money tied up in a handfull of players , they have had to sacrafice at other spots .... That OL is terrible.

I'd fire GM Howie Roseman before I sent Reid packing.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I dont think there's anything wrong with Reid .... I think it boils down to a lack of talent at too many positions ... Having so much money tied up in a handfull of players , they have had to sacrafice at other spots .... That OL is terrible.

I'd fire GM Howie Roseman before I sent Reid packing.
I think we, of all fans, should know it doesn't take a lot to put together a decent line. In 2010, we had Brown, Smith, Myers, Brisiel, & Winston, considered the best line in the league when it was all said & done.

That said, personally I don't know that we can say the Eagles OL is horrible. Can't think of his name, but they had an undrafted rookie running all over the place the other night. Seemed like whatever back they put back there was getting the job done. That normally says OL to me.

As far as pass protection goes, I don't think Vick was doing them any favors. A problem you've got with a "mobile" QB that ad libs, is you don't necessarily know what angles to take & hold & for how long.

Then you put a rookie back there, most teams will sell out to test him under pressure. If he can't beat them consistently, they keep it coming.

That line may be terrible. Just saying I haven't seen enough to make that conclusion myself.
Old 11-29-2012   #14
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i think its time for Andy to go but i would keep Vick one more year just for a stop gap Vet QB
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
i think its time for Andy to go but i would keep Vick one more year just for a stop gap Vet QB
I'd really like to know how much "work" they're actually putting in with Vick to help him become a better QB. I know it seems like he's been in the league a long time, & you wouldn't think a QB of his age can "change." He is what he is.

But there is still a lot that needs to be improved in his game.

Schaub, to me, is on one end of the play-making spectrum. Taking the conservative route & not attempting to make as many plays as I think he should. Vick is on the other end of that spectrum & tries to make things happen way too often.

I don't want to stop Vick from being Vick, but if I were his OC I would point to every time he gave up on the pocket & work out how much he is actually gaining by running & getting beat up, as opposed to just throwing it away. Like I said, don't want to stop him from doing what he does, just want him to make better decisions about when to do it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read