Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-27-2012   #1
Ndevine7
All Pro

Rep Power: 273 Ndevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Tavon Austin

What are your guys thoughts on Tavon Austin. I know he's made a strong push into round 1 and might be off the board before we pick but the man is a game changer. I've watched practically every WVU game that Tavon has been there and I don't know if I've seen a more explosive athlete in and out of his cuts(slight overstatement). I know he doesn't fit he typically Kubiak WR, but Austin could add another element to this offense that would put it on another level. While Martin has improved on returns, I don't think he's as dynamic as a returner as Austin is. Austin would also be an incredible slot receiver who reminds me a bit of Percy but not quite as strong as Percy is. Austin showed against OU that he can line up in the backfield rushing 21 times for 344 yards adding 4 rec for 81 yards. While he will never be an every down back, we could utilize him as a Sproles type player who can catch the ball out of the backfield as well as taking an occasional run when he's not playing the slot. Depending on who else is available, if he is available late first (or early second if we trade back) I think he would make this offense even more potent and improve the return game. Other receivers from the state of West Virginia that I am high on are Aaron Dobson from Marshall in the 2nd or Steadman Bailey from WVU in the 3rd. While I don't know if Kubiak would take another WR given he likes the 3 young guys, I think all three of these receivers could really help this team.
Old 11-27-2012   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tavon Austin

Not interested as risk of doing well in NFL too high. We have other areas to address other than "skitter bug".
Old 11-27-2012   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Aaron Dobson, Marshall end of 2nd. Big NFL body type with potential to develop as a #1

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012   #4
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I am really, really torn. On the one hand, he is electrifying with the ball- he is always, always a threat to score. On the other hand, he is so small, and I dont know about him being able to handle getting hit by NFL caliber players.

I would grab him in the second round, the first is just too risky.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012   #5
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I am really, really torn. On the one hand, he is electrifying with the ball- he is always, always a threat to score. On the other hand, he is so small, and I dont know about him being able to handle getting hit by NFL caliber players.

I would grab him in the second round, the first is just too risky.

^^^^This^^^^
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012   #6
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I like Aaron Dobson, Marshall end of 2nd. Big NFL body type with potential to develop as a #1
Give me Dobson, who has the ability to be the best WR in this draft. (Patterson is my favorite.) The Texans will probably have to trade up to get him. I would offer the Jets a 3rd and Tate for their 2nd rd pick and pick Dobson.

Austin is alot like Harvin. If Welker leaves in FA I could see New England picking him in the 1st/2nd.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012   #7
Ndevine7
All Pro

Rep Power: 273 Ndevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Give me Dobson, who has the ability to be the best WR in this draft. (Patterson is my favorite.) The Texans will probably have to trade up to get him. I would offer the Jets a 3rd and Tate for their 2nd rd pick and pick Dobson.

Austin is alot like Harvin. If Welker leaves in FA I could see New England picking him in the 1st/2nd.
I don't see Austin being available any later then top 5-7 picks of the 2nd round. Unless his combine measurements are really poor, I think is taken end of the 1st round. I'd love to land Dobson. I think he can make an immediate impact. If we had to move up to the Jets spot to draft him in the 2nd I wouldnt be opposed but think he should be there at our pick in the 2nd.
Old 11-27-2012   #8
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Austin a lot, but I think he is going to be a gadget/slot player versus a fulltime WR. Kubiak seems to have limited use for that style of player although Martin does some here or there.
Old 11-27-2012   #9
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Tavon Austin: Height: 5-09 Weight: 172

Hmmm, yeah, I don't think Kubiak will go for him. Would be interesting to have on the team, but I just don't see Kubiak working him into the system. Especially not for a 1st.
Old 11-28-2012   #10
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105102 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Danny Woodhead-esque player?

For WR, I'm all aboard the Cordarelle Patterson train. And maybe Ryan Swope in the later rounds? Don't get me wrong, Swope will never be a #1, but... the guy will kill you on the slants.
Old 11-30-2012   #11
Rock N Randy
Legend

Rep Power: 5405 Rock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndevine7 View Post
What are your guys thoughts on Tavon Austin. I know he's made a strong push into round 1 and might be off the board before we pick but the man is a game changer. I've watched practically every WVU game that Tavon has been there and I don't know if I've seen a more explosive athlete in and out of his cuts(slight overstatement). I know he doesn't fit he typically Kubiak WR, but Austin could add another element to this offense that would put it on another level. While Martin has improved on returns, I don't think he's as dynamic as a returner as Austin is. Austin would also be an incredible slot receiver who reminds me a bit of Percy but not quite as strong as Percy is. Austin showed against OU that he can line up in the backfield rushing 21 times for 344 yards adding 4 rec for 81 yards. While he will never be an every down back, we could utilize him as a Sproles type player who can catch the ball out of the backfield as well as taking an occasional run when he's not playing the slot. Depending on who else is available, if he is available late first (or early second if we trade back) I think he would make this offense even more potent and improve the return game. Other receivers from the state of West Virginia that I am high on are Aaron Dobson from Marshall in the 2nd or Steadman Bailey from WVU in the 3rd. While I don't know if Kubiak would take another WR given he likes the 3 young guys, I think all three of these receivers could really help this team.
I'm 100% on board and agree.

I love Austin he is a rare dynamic playmaker

His gamebreak ability and speed out weight my concerns of his size.
Rock N Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012   #12
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Very very late second is the soonest I would pick him.
Old 12-01-2012   #13
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Tavon Austin: Height: 5-09 Weight: 172

Hmmm, yeah, I don't think Kubiak will go for him. Would be interesting to have on the team, but I just don't see Kubiak working him into the system. Especially not for a 1st.
Remember Trendon Holiday?
Old 12-01-2012   #14
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Danny Woodhead-esque player?

For WR, I'm all aboard the Cordarelle Patterson train. And maybe Ryan Swope in the later rounds? Don't get me wrong, Swope will never be a #1, but... the guy will kill you on the slants.

I really hope that Patterson or Dobson are on the board when the Texans are picking in the 2nd rd. Even if they have to trade up and pick one of them.

How would you feel about trading Tate and a 3rd rd pick for the Jets 2nd rd pick?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012   #15
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105102 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

If it was to pick up a WR, I'd be all for it. The chances of a 2nd rounder WR panning out are much higher than a 3rd rounder whatever. I'm still mad we didn't get Hill. A few years under Andre and if that kid has any learning capacity, he'd be a great.

As for Tavon Austin... I'm a major idk on him. He's great, but... 5'9. I think picking him would be dumping the K-Mart experiment too early, and I think K-Mart's got what we need. We're looking for a bigger WR imo. Also, I'm sure Kubiak wants a WR with some blocking ability, and I'm not sure Austin has it.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read