Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-01-2012   #41
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 5 starters will be out sunday for HOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I don't think they expected the players they brought in to play at the same level as Demeco and Winston. They've been good enough though, but they need to find an upgrade during the offseason. Unfortunately both of those guys were cap casualties. Had we kept them then we would have had to cut quality players somewhere else.
Agreed - I like both Winston and DeMeco, and they are both fine players, but the decision was made to keep Foster and Myers, and to extend Schaub and Brown prior to their contracts expiring. If keeping Winston or DeMeco would have meant losing any one of those four guys (or even having to use the franchise tag to keep them), it wasn't worth it.
Old 12-01-2012   #42
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
mann James was a replacement for cushing and Newton was not even supposed to share snaps with Big bird till he got hurt

o well next man up i guess we did it last year

o well titans got some banged up has well

LB Patrick Bailey (ribs), LB Colin McCarthy (concussion), DE Derrick Morgan (knee)

i know Mcarthy is a starting LB and Morgon is one of there best pass rushers
No offense Norg, but I think your post shows just how spoiled we are. We've been next man upping since the beginning of the season. But even we have to have our limits & that, I think, is why there is so much concern.

Bradie James was more or less taking Demeco's spot. Cushing was replaced by Dobbins, who was replaced by Sharpton. Tomorrow, both ILBs will be replacement players. I don't know if Dobbins is going to play, so it's possible we'll have Sharpton & Rudd. Neither were on the active roster week 1.

I don't think Wade has had 11 defensive starters on the field since week 3

I think Newton missing is a big deal. In my mind, they were finally starting to gel. Now this happens. I hope Newton can get back soon, so they can get to gel'n again before the play-off starts.
Old 12-01-2012   #43
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
No offense Norg, but I think your post shows just how spoiled we are. We've been next man upping since the beginning of the season. But even we have to have our limits & that, I think, is why there is so much concern.

Bradie James was more or less taking Demeco's spot. Cushing was replaced by Dobbins, who was replaced by Sharpton. Tomorrow, both ILBs will be replacement players. I don't know if Dobbins is going to play, so it's possible we'll have Sharpton & Rudd. Neither were on the active roster week 1.

I don't think Wade has had 11 defensive starters on the field since week 3

I think Newton missing is a big deal. In my mind, they were finally starting to gel. Now this happens. I hope Newton can get back soon, so they can get to gel'n again before the play-off starts.
Dobbins is listed as probable, and the Texans have said ILB will be a rotation of Sharpton, Dobbins and Ruud. Cody is also listed as probable on the inury report, so there's (hopefully) another little bit of good news.

In theory, with the obvious (and significant) exception of Cushing, everybody we're talking about should be back for the playoffs, if not before. We still have the possibility of going into the postseason with a defense that pretty closely resembles the one we started the season with. In the meantime, you can look at the silver lining of guys like Ruud and Sharpton getting to knock the rust off, and others like Mercilus, and maybe Brandon Harris getting a chance to show their stuff and get some experience.
Old 12-01-2012   #44
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Time to see what that 60th pick got us. I really hope they are just giving guys time to heal up, and get ready for the Pats, and the stretch run. All of these injuries, kind of worry me.
Atleast none are major, or season ending. As long as they are all a go for the play-offs we should be golden. Or schedule besides new england dont look to tough. We can still win the AFC and have homefield while giving these guys rest IMO.
Old 12-01-2012   #45
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The upside on the offensive line is Jones already played better than Brisiel (when Brisiel first started). And Brisiel was already in the league for a while.

Jones also played better than Caldwell when Caldwell first started (and Caldwell also had more experience).

Caldwell had improved since and played well when he was healthy.
But it sure looks like Jones may pass a healthy Caldwell soon (maybe already).

The same goes with Newton; if he continues a normal progression, the odd is he will be at least as good as Winston (at their respective point in their career.)
Obviously, I need to restate that Newton has to improve to get there.

And he needs to stay on the field; that's important, too.

Brisiel and Winston were both warriors for us and they are appreciated.

As far as Harris, so far he seems to be holding up better than Salaam did for us.
Salaam was a warrior, too.
But by the time he came to us, it's already toward the end of his career.

Gardner is still young, and he did look good against scrubs in the PS.
We played more young guys than our opponents did, so there might be hope for him; not saying that he will turn into something though.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012   #46
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Dobbins is listed as probable, and the Texans have said ILB will be a rotation of Sharpton, Dobbins and Ruud. Cody is also listed as probable on the inury report, so there's (hopefully) another little bit of good news.

In theory, with the obvious (and significant) exception of Cushing, everybody we're talking about should be back for the playoffs, if not before. We still have the possibility of going into the postseason with a defense that pretty closely resembles the one we started the season with. In the meantime, you can look at the silver lining of guys like Ruud and Sharpton getting to knock the rust off, and others like Mercilus, and maybe Brandon Harris getting a chance to show their stuff and get some experience.
Like.
Old 12-01-2012   #47
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Agreed - I like both Winston and DeMeco, and they are both fine players, but the decision was made to keep Foster and Myers, and to extend Schaub and Brown prior to their contracts expiring. If keeping Winston or DeMeco would have meant losing any one of those four guys (or even having to use the franchise tag to keep them), it wasn't worth it.
We have certainly missed those guys, and it is clearly a year of transition at those positions. However, if you watch KC and Phillie play, it is clear that they aren't difference-makers, which is what we were paying them to be. Demeco, whom I love, has continued to show that he simply isn't able to be an asset in pass coverage. Winston, while excellent in the run game, has proven to be mediocre in pass protection.

Both decisions were clearly good ones for the long term success of the franchise.
Old 12-01-2012   #48
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
James was a replacement for Demeco, if I remember right. Wonder how much they miss him now! (to lazy to look up the sarcasm smilie!) Same with all the chat about Caldwell replacing Winston. How did that work out?? Regardless of what you guys think about the DUMPING of Winston, he never missed a game with an injury, that I know of anyway.

Now, PLEASE don't start spitting out the "we're 10-1" without them crap either. We MIGHT be 11-0 with them, or 1-10 with them, who knows. I just think what they brought to this team is truly MISSED! Not one replacement has been as solid as Demeco or Winston. AGAIN, JMO!!!
pfff plzzz Newton has been better then WInston already has a rookie winston was so bad
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012   #49
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
The upside on the offensive line is Jones already played better than Brisiel (when Brisiel first started). And Brisiel was already in the league for a while.

Jones also played better than Caldwell when Caldwell first started (and Caldwell also had more experience).

The same goes with Newton; if he continues a normal progression, the odd is he will be at least as good as Winston (at their respective point in their career.)

And he needs to stay on the field; that's important, too.

Brisiel and Winston were both warriors for us and they are appreciated.

As far as Harris, so far he seems to be holding up better than Salaam did for us.
Salaam was a warrior, too.
But by the time he came to us, it's already toward the end of his career.

Gardner is still young, and he did look good against scrubs in the PS.
We played more young guys than our opponents did, so there might be hope for him; not saying that he will turn into something though.

Nice post "Thumbs up"
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012   #50
76Texan
Hall of Fame

The combo of Harris and Newton had the same numbers of false start as Winston, same number of holding penalty. Winston allowed one fewer sack.

The Texans pass slightly a little more than the Chiefs.

Don't now about QB Pressure, but overall, it doesn't look too bad.
Old 12-01-2012   #51
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Looking forward to Brandon Harris if they'll let him play.
Old 12-01-2012   #52
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
pfff plzzz Newton has been better then WInston already has a rookie winston was so bad
Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. Winston showed potential when he was drafted. I don't sense much in Newton. He's just an average player. Probably best suited as a backup.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012   #53
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

I agree. I'm not so worried about Caldwell coming back. Even though he is a shoe in for the Pro Bowl, Jones is a much better athlete & gives us better options. His ability to get to the second level, pull, and the smarts he appears to have puts us in the plus column when he's on the field.

I think Newton has surpassed Winston's ability in pass pro. Yeah, he had some lapse early in the season, but that should have been expected with the competition he was facing. I would have expected the same from Winston, a 6 year pro, simply because I've seen him struggle in those same situations. Von Miller/Dumerville would eat Winston's lunch... in his face & there wouldn't be anything Eric could do about it.

In the run game, I think Newton has what it takes & like I said they were just beginning to gel. I think we really need him back in the line-up.
Old 12-01-2012   #54
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Winston, while excellent in the run game, has proven to be mediocre in pass protection.
Agree. $5M/yr for Winston is too much when you know he struggles against average to above average pass rushers. I wonder how many penalties he has this year.

Demeco on the other hand. Still, none of our LBs look good in pass coverage.... maybe Barwin, maybe Rudd. But there is still a lot to be desired there. Wade is able to make due with different looks & his dime package.

I like to think Demeco would have taken a paycut/restructure to stay on the team & I'd feel a lot better, with Cushing gone for the year, with a healthy (he does look healthy) Demeco Ryans to go with Sharpton & Rudd, and Dobbins if he's healthy. Heck, I'd take a cheap Demeco over a cheap Bradie James.

But that's just me. We are where we are & we've got what we've got. 5 games to go & winning the next two can go a long way to getting us where we want to go.

& Like I said, it's been a while since Wade has had 11 starters. It shows how good he is to get us where we are, but it also "explains" what's happened the last two games.
Old 12-01-2012   #55
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. Winston showed potential when he was drafted. I don't sense much in Newton. He's just an average player. Probably best suited as a backup.
Wow..... that is so wrong. Newton looks great.
Old 12-01-2012   #56
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agree. $5M/yr for Winston is too much when you know he struggles against average to above average pass rushers. I wonder how many penalties he has this year.

Demeco on the other hand. Still, none of our LBs look good in pass coverage.... maybe Barwin, maybe Rudd. But there is still a lot to be desired there. Wade is able to make due with different looks & his dime package.

I like to think Demeco would have taken a paycut/restructure to stay on the team & I'd feel a lot better, with Cushing gone for the year, with a healthy (he does look healthy) Demeco Ryans to go with Sharpton & Rudd, and Dobbins if he's healthy. Heck, I'd take a cheap Demeco over a cheap Bradie James.

But that's just me. We are where we are & we've got what we've got. 5 games to go & winning the next two can go a long way to getting us where we want to go.

& Like I said, it's been a while since Wade has had 11 starters. It shows how good he is to get us where we are, but it also "explains" what's happened the last two games.

Realize also, though, that we received a 3rd and 4th round pick for Ryans... Plus, his salary will be totally off the books next year, saving the team close to $7million under the cap.
Old 12-01-2012   #57
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wow..... that is so wrong. Newton looks great.
I don't see it. Just looks like an average player to me. Serviceable but not much more than that.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012   #58
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Realize also, though, that we received a 3rd and 4th round pick for Ryans... Plus, his salary will be totally off the books next year, saving the team close to $7million under the cap.
yeah, I don't have a problem with the trade. Just saying.
Old 12-01-2012   #59
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't see it. Just looks like an average player to me. Serviceable but not much more than that.
Keep in mind Newton is basically in his rookie season as he had only 17 plays last year. He has allowed only 3 sacks and our O has not suffered too much. Also keep in mind he gets minimal relief from Harris unlike D. Brown did from Salaam. I think Gary is well pleased with Newton.
Old 12-01-2012   #60
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
ania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli

Antoine Caldwell, Bradie James, Johnathan Joseph, Derek Newton and Brooks Reed all out for Sunday's game. #Texans

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli

Cornerback Alan Ball will be a game-time decision. Missed practice with a sore foot. #Texans
Starting to look like Kubiak is looking ahead to the Patriots game?
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read