Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-08-2005   #1
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP
Default All Time Overrated QB list (Min 5 years in league)

1. Jeff George - Perhaps the best arm in NFL history. Too bad it was attached to that brain.
2. Doug Flutie - He had one great season in college and somehow he is a cult hero. O V E R R A T E D.
3. Jay Fiedler - nice winning percentage, but almost anyone could have won 10 games with the talent the Dolphins had on defense. They probably could have won a title with a REAL QB.
4. Mike Tomczak - did he ever play well?
5. Jeff Blake - he puts up good stats but loses consistently. How does he keep getting starting gigs with his winning percentage?
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005   #2
wiley2002
Veteran

You forgot to mention Ryan Leaf.
wiley2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005   #3
Panther5407
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley2002
You forgot to mention Ryan Leaf.
I think you would classify Ryan more of a bust than being over rated.
Old 06-08-2005   #4
BattleRedRaider
All Pro

Rep Power: 19 BattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame Ballot
Send a message via AIM to BattleRedRaider Send a message via MSN to BattleRedRaider Send a message via Yahoo to BattleRedRaider

Any QB that the Cowboys get these days is Overrated.
Old 06-08-2005   #5
wiley2002
Veteran

VERY true. I should have put more emphasis on the word OVERRATED. Oh well. Worth a good laugh at least.
wiley2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 141386 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I like TheOgre's list, though I'm not sure who actually rated Tomczak & Fielder highly. They just started a lot of games. To me, being overrated means that there's a contingent of "experts" that think a guy is the bomb. And there was a group of Jeff George lovers out there. Currently, he are a few guys who I think fit the overrated criteria.

Trent Green - Puts up numbers, but doesn't win a lot of games. Not a difference maker.

Drew Bledsoe - Has lived off a couple of good seasons in New England for too long. Age is the only major difference between Bledsoe & Testaverde.

As far as all-time, I think Joe Namath has to be mentioned. He threw 47 more interceptions than touchdowns over the course of his career. Joe Willie got a lot of milage off of that 1 Super Bowl win.
Old 06-08-2005   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll nominate Neil O'Donnell to the list. Nice job chocking in the biggest game of his life and it has been all down hill since.
Old 06-08-2005   #8
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

It starts and stops with Kurt Warner.

Game over.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005   #9
TDforTatum26
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to TDforTatum26

Right now I think one of the most overrated QB's is Micheal Vick
Old 06-08-2005   #10
gcolby
Veteran

Don't forget Rick Mirer.
gcolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005   #11
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Mirer would fall under the "bust" category with Leaf.

"Overrated" (to me anyways) means a player is hyped to be better than he really is.

But that's just me.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005   #12
big sarge
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 big sarge is on the Pro-Bowl ballotbig sarge is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Cody Carleson
Rich Gannon
Tony Banks
Vinny Testaverde
Eli Manning
Dan Marino (sorry but he just couldn't do it HE!HE!)
big sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005   #13
TDforTatum26
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to TDforTatum26

Quote:
Originally Posted by big sarge
Cody Carleson
Rich Gannon
Tony Banks
Vinny Testaverde
Eli Manning
Dan Marino (sorry but he just couldn't do it HE!HE!)

i admitt Eli Manning was a little overrated last year but its only his second season....

im gonna wait and call him overrated when he SUCKS again this season
Old 06-08-2005   #14
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Tim Couch
Cordell Stewart

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005   #15
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosRule226
Right now I think one of the most overrated QB's is Micheal Vick
Actually, I could not agree with that more. Vick is a great athlete, and very dangerous at that, but a QB he's not. Not yet anyway.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005   #16
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Ill catch hell from any lurking jag fan.. but Byron Leftwich.

Now, dont get me wrong, I think he is a talented QB. but according to the talking heads, and many other fans, he is the second coming of Joe Montana. Apparently he has a rocket for an arm (uh..no) pinpoint accuracy (no again), size (what good is size without durability or mobility?), clutch instincts (ok.. ill give ya that), and leadership skills (sure)

The fact of the matter is that Byron is a "clutch" QB (really... he is not that much better in a clutch situation than many other QBs), and he has leadership qualities. What he DOESNT have is a really strong arm (average), great accuracy (average), or anything resembling durability, or mobility.

All in all.. id say he is an average, to above average QB.. with a promising future in the NFL if the team is built to his strengths.. but he is NOT some rising superstar. Id compare him to Jake Delhomme.. he will get the job done, but the potential isnt there to dominate his position.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005   #17
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Mark Brunell, he had all the physical gifts, he could run and throw and do it well. But time and injurys have left him a shell of what he once was.
Old 06-08-2005   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I honestly can't think of a QB who I think is a) overrated, and b) has been in the league 5 years at least. I know there's one out there and it will probably come to me after I hit the "Post Quick Reply" button. I'm just drawing a blank for some reason.

That reason is I have a QB question on my mind inspired by the responses in this thread. People ask you to name the best QB and it's usually pretty easy. They ask you to name the most overrated and everyone has an opinion (even me if I could just remember what it was). Likewise everyone can tell you who the busts were.

So would everyone please name one QB who was, in your opinion, basically a victim of the team who drafted him. Name the best QB who's talents were completely squandered because he played on a lousy team or for crummy coaches. Maybe he played in a bad system or got no protection, or he was put in a no-win situation and asked to follow a legend.

Name the one guy who didn't work out who you think would have IF he'd been in a better situation.
Old 06-08-2005   #19
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

trent green
mike vick
jeff garcia
aaron brooks
kordell stewart
Old 06-08-2005   #20
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

hmmm.. i didnt see the parenthesied "5 year minimum".

Ahh well.. I still stick by my assessment of Lefty
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read