Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-27-2012   #1
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12117 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Cowboy Fans petition to remove Jerry Jones

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...st-jerry-jones

Quote:
We, the Citizens of the Great State of Texas, and Dallas Cowboys fans worldwide, have been oppressed by an over controlling, delusional, oppressive dictator for way too long. Request the Executive Branch's immediate assistance in removal of owner and GM, Jerry Jones. His incompetence and ego have not only been an extreme disappointment for way too long, but moreover, it has caused extreme mental and emotional duress."
This made me laugh! Reminds me of when Oakland bought the billboard to fire Cable.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012   #2
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cowboy Fans petition to remove Jerry Jones

I thought that petition was to impeach Rick Perry
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012   #3
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

There is another petition not on that website asking for him to step down. It was on the Star-Telegram site.
Old 11-28-2012   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I think things like this makes it harder for Jerrah to make the decision to step down as GM of the Dallas Cowboys. I know it may have been false hope, but I was hoping his, "I'd fire myself if I could" statement was a prelude to him getting a traditional GM or VP of football operations.

I know people don't like his style. Most think he doesn't know anything about football. But if I were in his position, I don't know that I wouldn't be involved with my football team.

If I'm Jerry, I'd go back to Parcells & try to figure out what I did wrong. He hired an experienced winner. He didn't get too involved with team decisions. He's alway gotten them talented players. If he did anything wrong during that time, it may have been bringing in TO. However, if I'm a GM & I have Bill Parcells as my coach, I would think he would be able to handle a TO.

Then we moved on to Wade. Probably shouldn't have hired Garrett first. If I thought he was the future of the Dallas Cowboys, but didn't think he was ready, I'd have to let him go. If someone were to pick him up as a head coach, then I've got to trust I made the right decision when I thought he wasn't ready. At the very least, I should have brought Wade in first & let him make the decision on Garrett. Lastly, nothing against Wade, but I don't see how he could have thought that he & Wade were a match made in heaven. Jj is over the top & Wade is under the radar, too radically different personalities.

Jason Garrett. I haven't really followed the Cowboys as closely as I had in years past. I don't know if Jerry is getting "too involved" or if he's letting him coach. Some people will fault Jerry for being on the sidelines.... yet I've seen McNair on the sidelines quite a bit. If he's just there, I don't see that as a problem.

Now, the only thing I would have done differently if I were Jerry, since Parcells, is that I would have demanded more from my coaches in the way of player development. Romo came up out of nowhere. Austin came up out of nowhere. But the Cowboys don't have any "Role-players" that they developed. Like Chris Myers, Glover Quin, Kevin Walter, or Owen Daniels. Especially on the OL, they've got to do something there & that's been an issue since Parcells.
Old 11-28-2012   #5
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

what gets me is that jerry does appear to have a pretty good eye for talent. the roster itsself in dallas has been strong for a very long time, often viewed as possibly the most talented in the league. the problem is he doesnt stop there as the front office guy that he's capable of being, and he doesnt have any balances in place to tell him when something's an obviously bad idea (roy williams?). instead he wants to meddle in the coaching and day to day and even game day operations on the field. the coaches themselves have no authority so of course the players arent consistent and underachieve, if the players dont like something they can skip right over the coaching staff and go to jerry since he's right there. if he could stick to being the owner and the key component in regards to personnel, while staying off the field to let the professionals do their jobs, dallas could be a contender.

thankfully that'll never happen.
Old 11-28-2012   #6
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I think things like this makes it harder for Jerrah to make the decision to step down as GM of the Dallas Cowboys. I know it may have been false hope, but I was hoping his, "I'd fire myself if I could" statement was a prelude to him getting a traditional GM or VP of football operations.

I know people don't like his style. Most think he doesn't know anything about football. But if I were in his position, I don't know that I wouldn't be involved with my football team.

If I'm Jerry, I'd go back to Parcells & try to figure out what I did wrong. He hired an experienced winner. He didn't get too involved with team decisions. He's alway gotten them talented players. If he did anything wrong during that time, it may have been bringing in TO. However, if I'm a GM & I have Bill Parcells as my coach, I would think he would be able to handle a TO.

Then we moved on to Wade. Probably shouldn't have hired Garrett first. If I thought he was the future of the Dallas Cowboys, but didn't think he was ready, I'd have to let him go. If someone were to pick him up as a head coach, then I've got to trust I made the right decision when I thought he wasn't ready. At the very least, I should have brought Wade in first & let him make the decision on Garrett. Lastly, nothing against Wade, but I don't see how he could have thought that he & Wade were a match made in heaven. Jj is over the top & Wade is under the radar, too radically different personalities.

Jason Garrett. I haven't really followed the Cowboys as closely as I had in years past. I don't know if Jerry is getting "too involved" or if he's letting him coach. Some people will fault Jerry for being on the sidelines.... yet I've seen McNair on the sidelines quite a bit. If he's just there, I don't see that as a problem.

Now, the only thing I would have done differently if I were Jerry, since Parcells, is that I would have demanded more from my coaches in the way of player development. Romo came up out of nowhere. Austin came up out of nowhere. But the Cowboys don't have any "Role-players" that they developed. Like Chris Myers, Glover Quin, Kevin Walter, or Owen Daniels. Especially on the OL, they've got to do something there & that's been an issue since Parcells.
As a Cowboy fan for over 35 years I'll give you my take on Jerry compared to what you put here.

He doesn't know football. He knows marketing and money and how to run a football team to make money. Great owner. As GM he has been a failure. It just isn't TO. It was Dave Campo as coach, it was Quincy Carter as QB, it was multiple high picks for Roy Williams, it was a draft of 12 picks that he spent on "role" and special team players because he thought he had talent and needed depth. He doesn't get it. As much as I loved them getting Claiborne at corner this year the reality is that there were O-linemen lower in the draft and some DBs lower in the draft..that have succeeded. We have no O-line and Romo has run for his life for years. They drafted Felix Jones instead of other studs to be a complimentary back....what?Your first rounder is a compliment guy?

Jerry's mission is to try and be one step ahead. Except he never is. A perfect example is Garrett. Princeton smarts don't make a good coach or make up for experience. Garrett had almost no experience but Jerry wanted to find the next Tomlin or the next Sean Peyton so he grabbed Garrett before hiring Wade. Garrett is allowed some power but Jerry still goes in at halftime and bitches.

Parcells was just older and done. His message and fear weren't getting through to Jerry flash like players. Another Jerry mistake. For every Sean Lee, Witten and Ware there are 10 Dez type guys that are suspect when it comes to getting it and being prepared. So every week you have 10 penalties and dumb plays. Garrett isn't a strong enough coach to get the most out of these guys so you have this same .500 team every year.

What I will never get about Jerry....and I know it's ego...is that he is a smart guy. He knows that at his apex he was on the cover of every magazine holding SB trophies. Yet he can't bring himself to admit that the two best people he's had were Jimmy and then Parcells. He can't cede control without feeling powerless. He doesn't get that by hiring a top GM and coach that his reputation would get better. It doesn't compute.

As far as talent....I'm reading you and Scooter and I have read it in articles...but there is a difference between talent and players with talent who get it. Their talent is very overrated. They have some but they still lack alot at key positions. You can have 5 fast WRs that each have a good year here and there but that doesn't work if you can't protect the QB and you don't game plan. I keep hearing about the talent but I never see alot of heart or smarts out of it. Jerry likes to make a splash and there are guys who are talented but they don't make sense for the team but he doesn't care.
Old 11-28-2012   #7
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Another reach by Cowboy fans to somehow get headlines and relevance.
What a sorry-azz organization and what a bunch of desperate, masochistic fans. Another team in their own division has won multiple SBs in recent years, and this is the best they can do to get attention ? Why would Cowboy fans stay with Jones and his team when they've got other options like the Giants or a great new NFL QB in RG3 to follow and support ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-28-2012   #8
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Another reach by Cowboy fans to somehow get headlines and relevance.
What a sorry-azz organization and what a bunch of desperate, masochistic fans. Another team in their own division has won multiple SBs in recent years, and this is the best they can do to get attention ? Why would Cowboy fans stay with Jones and his team when they've got other options like the Giants or a great new NFL QB in RG3 to follow and support ?
Because there is a massive fanbase like me that has grown up with them since the 70s and who aren't bandwagon. You can stay loyal and not be happy. That is like asking Oiler and Texans fans why they are fans when they never have won a championship or when Bud was around. Jerry is a great owner but a bad football guy. I doubt a fan posting a funny petition was to get attention from the nation and take away all sports news..lol
Old 11-28-2012   #9
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Because there is a massive fanbase like me that has grown up with them since the 70s and who aren't bandwagon. You can stay loyal and not be happy. that is like asking Oiler and Texans fans why they are fans when they never have won a championship or when Bud was around. Jerry is a great owner but a bad football guy. I doubt a fan posting a funny petition was to get attention from the nation and take away all sports news..lol
Excellent explanation !
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012   #10
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 36463 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Because there is a massive fanbase like me that has grown up with them since the 70s and who aren't bandwagon. You can stay loyal and not be happy. That is like asking Oiler and Texans fans why they are fans when they never have won a championship or when Bud was around. Jerry is a great owner but a bad football guy. I doubt a fan posting a funny petition was to get attention from the nation and take away all sports news..lol
Of course, of course. I've called them bi-polar, I've been annoyed during games, relieved more than celebrating after a win such as Cleveland, ticked off, and sometimes elated. But, throught it all, guess where I will be Sunday night?
StarStruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
guess where I will be Sunday night?
c'mon.... surely they're not going to subject us to another Cowboy game....... Isn't Buffalo playing? Or Kansas City?

Old 11-28-2012   #12
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 36463 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
c'mon.... surely they're not going to subject us to another Cowboy game....... Isn't Buffalo playing? Or Kansas City?

LOL, it wouldn't be the Cowboys if they didn't choose the National spotlight to showcase their 99 problems. However, it's hard to pass up the atmosphere of Sunday and Monday Night football. The side-events makes the mood more festive though.
StarStruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012   #13
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Dear Jerruh,

Puleeze fire yourself.

Sincerely,
Sittin'-on-our-hands
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012   #14
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 222419 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Leave Jerry Jones alone!

Old 11-28-2012   #15
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 74500 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
what gets me is that jerry does appear to have a pretty good eye for talent.
I don't know that I would agree with that. I mean, who really supports this position? Ware, Romo, Ratliff and Witten are all holdovers from the Parcells days (and yeah, I know Jerry was the GM at the time, but I give Parcells credit for having input on the draft). And yeah, they've hit on a pick or two since then (most notably Sean Lee), but when you look for the solid mid-round picks that teams really need, I don't see much of that on the Cowboys. Incidentally, while Dez Bryant may be among the top 2 or 3 most talented WR's in the league, I see him as at best a break even proposition, and at worst, evidence that Jones doesn't know how to draft to build a team.

They had 2 players in last years pro-bowl, three players in the NFL Players top 100 list, and all of these guys were drafted while Parcells was there.

In short, I just think the Cowboys personnel has tended to be overrated a bit, for the same reason the Cowboys themselves have been consistently overrated for a long time now - they're overrated because they're the Cowboys.
Old 11-28-2012   #16
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

There are a lot of "true" cowboy fans but honestly most are like yankee fans just following the sheep and watching the circus.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read