Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-26-2012   #1
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Gary Kubiak Presser

Was listening to it on 610, but I missed the first part.
Anybody caught it?

Sounds like James is day-to-day but will probably miss the next game.
Texans don't plan to bring in anybody new.

Tate is not practicing today (?) but should be back tomorrow.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #2
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Gary Kubiak Presser

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Pro Football Weekly ‏@ProFootballWkly
RT @NickScurfield: Rookie Whitney Mercilus starts at Will LB while Brooks Reed is out. Connor Barwin moves over to Sam #Texans

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
The SAM LB spot is a much better fit for Barwin who is a natural at that position. Mercilus gives Texans better edge speed at WLB now.

The loss of Brooks Reed may end up changing the future of the Texans OLB rotation and starting spots for years to come. We'll see.

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
Kubiak said 2nd-year OLB Bryan Braman will be part of the rotation w/ Connor Barwin & Whitney Mercilus #Texans

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
"We went from suiting 9 linebackers up ... to now if we played a game today there'd be 7 available players," Kubiak #Texans

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
"Braman's been an exceptional special teams player for us. ... He's very talented. He can rush the passer. He can run." Kubiak said.
Yeah, I heard all that, too.
Old 11-26-2012   #3
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28847 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The loss of Brooks Reed may end up changing the future of the Texans OLB rotation and starting spots for years to come. We'll see.
What would they do differently?
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Shaun Cody is back. He should play this week.

J Jo is day to day, may be available.
Old 11-26-2012   #5
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Barwin to play more at SOLB instead of his normal spot at WOLB.
Old 11-26-2012   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
It moves Connor Barwin to SAM & allows us to put a true pass-rusher at the WOLB.

Maybe it will also open the doors for a Cushing/Reed ILB for the future.
Old 11-26-2012   #7
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15056 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think the presumption is that Mercilus becomes a fixture (as a natural fit) at WOLB and forces more competition at SOLB for Barwin and Reed.
Old 11-26-2012   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Barwin is a much better fit a SOLB...

And Merci is a better fit for the WOLB position than Brooks or Barwin. I hope Braman gets some snaps at WOLB though because I want to see what he has as I haven't seen anything out of Merci that leads me to believe he's a long term solution for that position and the answer to our pass rush prayers...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #9
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I just hope teams don't start running draw plays towards the gaping hole left by Merci as he speed rushes the outside. The dude is cat quick but he doesn't set the edge very well. Hopefully he is getting coached up on that and a week with a 1's reps will help him. Along with being able to ride the pine early in the season. He hasn't hit that rookie wall, yet.

I must say, the lineup looks interesting.
Old 11-26-2012   #10
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2069 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I just hope teams don't start running draw plays towards the gaping hole left by Merci as he speed rushes the outside. The dude is cat quick but he doesn't set the edge very well. Hopefully he is getting coached up on that and a week with a 1's reps will help him. Along with being able to ride the pine early in the season. He hasn't hit that rookie wall, yet.

I must say, the lineup looks interesting.
Yeah, he's been caught a few times this year. I'm confident he'll get the hang of it as he'll get a lot more opportunities now, like you mentioned.
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #11
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Shaun Cody is back. He should play this week.

J Jo is day to day, may be available.
Hope they just hold JJo out until New England.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
I hope so, too.
In fact, I think it would be good not to practice him for a few days, or just do some light stuff.

Also, just remember that Kubiak also said that Newton is day-to-day.
That and not bringing any new guy in probably means that his injury is not too bad???
Old 11-26-2012   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I am probably in a fog but I think this forced change could make the team even stronger next season. Issue is can we keep winning this year? I say yes.
Old 11-26-2012   #14
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I won't flinch when we draft LB in round 1 again.

It'll be an annual event.
Old 11-26-2012   #15
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I won't flinch when we draft LB in round 1 again.

It'll be an annual event.
It'll be a much lower 1st round pick than we are used to. Hopefully though, we get used to it.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I hope so, too.
In fact, I think it would be good not to practice him for a few days, or just do some light stuff.

Also, just remember that Kubiak also said that Newton is day-to-day.
That and not bringing any new guy in probably means that his injury is not too bad???
I'm in y'alls camp!

Look, at the end of the day, we're not gonna go 15-1 in the regular season. So if they can get JJo extra rest, I'm all for it.

As far as Newton goes, I think Harris did "okay".. Not great, but by the same token, not terrible.
Old 11-26-2012   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
It'll be a much lower 1st round pick than we are used to. Hopefully though, we get used to it.
Depending on one or two being there, I'll probably be hoping for a trade down for a high second and high 3rd round.
Old 11-26-2012   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Barwin is a much better fit a SOLB...

And Merci is a better fit for the WOLB position than Brooks or Barwin. I hope Braman gets some snaps at WOLB though because I want to see what he has as I haven't seen anything out of Merci that leads me to believe he's a long term solution for that position and the answer to our pass rush prayers...
From what I've heard, he is obviously a beast on STs, but we haven't seen him in regular play because he has had a major problem assimilating the D LB playbook effectively enough for Wade. Despite this, at the right point, I would like to see what Braman can do when they "throw" him in there and let him rip.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #19
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 52734 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Why hasn't Barwin been playing SLB before now? It makes sense that he would, but what's Wade's reason?
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #20
kiwitexansfan
Let's Mock!!!!!

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Why hasn't Barwin been playing SLB before now? It makes sense that he would, but what's Wade's reason?
My guess would be that Reed can't play the WLB and Barwin could.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read