Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-26-2012   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Barwin moves to SLB-Mercilus moves to WLB

Pro Football Weekly ‏@ProFootballWkly
RT @NickScurfield: Rookie Whitney Mercilus starts at Will LB while Brooks Reed is out. Connor Barwin moves over to Sam #Texans

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
The SAM LB spot is a much better fit for Barwin who is a natural at that position. Mercilus gives Texans better edge speed at WLB now.

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
The loss of Brooks Reed may end up changing the future of the Texans OLB rotation and starting spots for years to come. We'll see.

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
Kubiak said 2nd-year OLB Bryan Braman will be part of the rotation w/ Connor Barwin & Whitney Mercilus #Texans

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
"We went from suiting 9 linebackers up ... to now if we played a game today there'd be 7 available players," Kubiak #Texans

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
"Braman's been an exceptional special teams player for us. ... He's very talented. He can rush the passer. He can run." Kubiak said.

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
Kubiak said ILB Tim Dobbins (shoulder) should "definitely be available" this week #Texans
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by srrono; 11-26-2012 at 06:35 PM.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Barwin moves to SLB-Mercilus moves to WLB

I hope Braman gets plenty snaps. I'm more excited to see him than any other LB we have.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I've been really surprised at how far back & how quick Barwin has been able to drop & maintain good coverage. If our ILBs can consistently bring what Ruud showed, our pass defense can get even scarier. scary good.
Old 11-26-2012   #4
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 50843 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

If Braman brings it like he does on special teams then there is much hope.
Old 11-26-2012   #5
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

This is good, Barwin moves back to what I believe is his natural position. Strongside he is quick and agile, able to handle rushes and coverage, disguise the defense and play the run more often. I believe he sets the edge well and this should put him back on the radar. Weakside guy is supposed to be the stud, star rusher and he's not that. His strength is versatility. Mercilus and Braman should be rotating weakside and getting after the QB, they are both faster off the line and play with a little more instinct as pass rushers.

Sucks to lose Reed but he was under-performing anyway. I believe he is still a viable option anywhere in the LB core and should use the time off to study the plays from all angles.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #6
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Perhaps the move is for the better then, let's hope.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #7
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Perhaps the move is for the better then, let's hope.
Yep, I hope so 76 as we are moving into very important part of regular season(Home field advantage and all) and getting close to post season.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-26-2012   #8
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Barwin played SLB last year??? If true, whyd they change him and maybe this is why hes been ineffective???

Also, I thought Braman would be better inside, but at least he is getting play time
Old 11-26-2012   #9
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope Braman doesn't get any late hit flags. I don't know why I see him and think that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
I hope Braman doesn't get any late hit flags. I don't know why I see him and think that.
Da Caveman plays! LOL

I hope he gets in a few good plays. I've always liked the guy and hope he's able to show some stuff this weekend.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #11
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 7520 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Let him loose!!
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Way to be a ray of sunshine!
Old 11-26-2012   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
I thought Barwin played SLB last year??? If true, whyd they change him and maybe this is why hes been ineffective???

Also, I thought Braman would be better inside, but at least he is getting play time
No, under Wade, Barwin always play a vast majority of snaps at WOLB.

The thought was that if the Texans resign Mario, only then would Barwin play at SOLB so that Mario never need to worry about the TE and just rush the QB almost all the time from the WOLB position.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
No, under Wade, Barwin always play a vast majority of snaps at WOLB.

The thought was that if the Texans resign Mario, only then would Barwin play at SOLB so that Mario never need to worry about the TE and just rush the QB almost all the time from the WOLB position.
Except for that was never a thought.
Old 11-26-2012   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post

Barwin played SOLB before Mario got hurt. After he got hurt, they swapped Barwin, don't know why. You'd think the weakside would be easier for the rookie Brooks Reed to play. All he has to do is go after the QB. He's playing against the LT, but it would cut down on his "responsibilities" & reads a lot.

Anyway, Barwin got hot there for a little while, then it continued into the play-offs, so I imagine they were going to give him an opportunity to earn that pass-rusher money.

Don't get me wrong, I think Brooks is more a SAM, just like Barwin, or possibly a MO. But Barwin was already doing a really good job at SAM that it didn't make sense to me to move him.
Old 11-26-2012   #16
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Way to be a ray of sunshine!
Just call them as I see them.

Remember Antwan Peek? I think he's better...and crazier hahaha. Can't wait to yell Braaaaaaaaaaaaman! Or maybe Manzier; ref Seinfeld.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012   #17
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105102 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know much about defensive formations... would Mercilus be lining up aside Watt or Smith? Or would it switch off as the situation required?
Old 11-27-2012   #18
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Bring on Babin, IMO
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
I don't know much about defensive formations... would Mercilus be lining up aside Watt or Smith? Or would it switch off as the situation required?
Watt lines up in different spots, so it'd just depend...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012   #20
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 50843 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post

First post from the picture, he'd be in the "WLB" position, lining up next to smith for about 70% of the snaps, they move Watt around though so no guarantee.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read