Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-28-2012   #61
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Quality of Wins - Not Important

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I see bad day diffferent than sloppy day. A bad day is when Schaub bounce a pass off a TE and it is intercepted, or referees don't blow whistle when the runner is down and a TD that wasn't beats you. A bad day is when you just miss your block, tackle, a hole or you jump just a second too soon and the pass brushes your fingers.

The last three games have been good for me and the Texans to see that they can still win; slop would not have gotten a win. It is also good to see the coaching.

It seems though that I am outnumbered that most just want a trophy regardless of how it comes.

I AM NOT saying this is a sloppy team but there has been some sloppy plays.
I don't get it.
Is it more important to you to win the race or to lead every, single lap?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012   #62
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I don't get it.
Not to put words in his mouth, But I think badboy is saying one or two bad games, no problem. But he's not going to sit in the stands, or glued to his TV for 3 hours for 16-19 games a year.

There is a quality to the product most NFL teams put on the field. We don't need to see the keystone Jets every week, regardless of their record.
Old 11-28-2012   #63
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
I was in charge of making the gravy this year at my sister in laws house. We were supposed to eat around 4. The gravy did not get started until the game was over. One way to control the timing.

That was some vigorously stirred gravy......
Vigorous stirring is always good LOL
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012   #64
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
It actually turned out great. We hit pause. Ate, drank, & whatnot for 45 minutes or so. When we got back to the game (the wimmens too) everybody was pleased that we could fast forward through all the commercials.

They got upset when we caught up with real time.
Yeah? What if the commercials were about Kay Jewelry and Them perfume and such? You would want to go back to the meal and family tradition in a heartbeat, lol
Old 11-28-2012   #65
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I don't get it.
I think you don't get it because you are not reading my posts but perhaps gleening a few words then forming a thought as to what I am saying? The post just below yours from Fiddler is exactly on target. As I have said, a sloppy game like Jacksonville or two in a season or the "any given Sunday.." or injuries happen & not what I am saying. I also am not talking about this Texans' season. My posts (as others should be) are directed at the thread title.

In response to your example which is a good one BTW, I am ok with not leading each lap & I am ok with not winning the race if the runner gives it his best or is injured or he simply trips. I will not follow runner long if he shows up ill prepared, out of shape or disinterested. I want to be entertained by good competition not a toilet paper trophy to cover the....
Old 11-28-2012   #66
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think you don't get it because you are not reading my posts but perhaps gleening a few words then forming a thought as to what I am saying? The post just below yours from Fiddler is exactly on target. As I have said, a sloppy game like Jacksonville or two in a season or the "any given Sunday.." or injuries happen & not what I am saying. I also am not talking about this Texans' season. My posts (as others should be) are directed at the thread title.

In response to your example which is a good one BTW, I am ok with not leading each lap & I am ok with not winning the race if the runner gives it his best or is injured or he simply trips. I will not follow runner long if he shows up ill prepared, out of shape or disinterested. I want to be entertained by good competition not a toilet paper trophy to cover the....
Curious...did you read the original post or just the title?
Old 11-28-2012   #67
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
I post pretty selectively about the team. I read pretty much everything in the Texans part of the forum, but I only post when I feel something needs defending, so that may be why I come off as not being able to critique the Texans. I really am not a prototypical internet person, I guess. I must still be of the if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all generation. As far as the Mom bit, just ask my boys. I had to stand up to some very strong willed boys, and their current success in life tells me I did a pretty good job. They got told plenty when I felt they were doing something wrong.

I just think it is ridiculous to have the attitude that one would not be happy with a sloppy Super Bowl win. I stood on the sidelines as a sports photographer for 8 years of High School games. As a female of my generation, I obviously never played the game. But being on the sidelines and witnessing up close and personal the physicality of the game and the emotions of the players, I would never discount a win.

I may view my role as a fan differently than yours, but it is dismissive to tell me that I am a mom who can tell my children no wrong. I guess I need to go back to the cooking forum. There is a huge battle going on over range feed vs grocery store eggs.
Please do not "go back to cooking forum." I enjoy exchanging ideas with you. We do not have to agree. I made the mom comment as I cannot recall ever reading anything of you being critical of a Texan.

As to your comment about being happy with a sloppy SB win...if that game was only sloppy one all season, I of course would accept it BUT would discuss the areas needing improvement with Texans fans in my social world and this MB.
Old 11-28-2012   #68
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Okay... that makes sense now.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012   #69
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Every fan wants their team to win every game and win by 50 points. The point is - IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. That is the point of this thread. Ask any Patriots fan if they would trade 5-6 of their wins in 2007 for a 1 point win in the Superbowl. I'd bet every single fan would do it. Every one.

Sometimes fans (myself included) get too into stats. If the Texans win all the remaining regular season games by 5 points combined - we should all be thrilled. The time for quality of wins ended when Houston beat the Bengals during the regular season last year. Unless there is a sign of a serious problem (like the defense in 2010 after 6 games) it doesn't matter what the score is for a win. Winning big doesn't give you a bigger W. It's only nice when you are playing for next season.

Every team starts the playoffs with the same record. Only the team that wins every game in the playoffs gets to take home the trophy. Doesn't matter how they win. The only goal that the Texans staff and players should be looking at is Superbowl victories. Everything else is just a consolation prize for participating in another team's championship season.

Reread the original post. No team blows through the regular season. Most lay a few turds along the way. Fortunately, the Texans's have had only 1 bad game this season and 2 where they didn't play to their potential for the entire game. The fact that the Texans had some hiccups on defense the past 2 games and the offense exploded shows just how good they are.

The point is to enjoy this season - even the "sloppy" wins.
You are making my point for me. The first thing you do is define a game based on the score. Remaining games win by total 5 points says nothing about how the games were played.

You focus on the the final score. Yes that decides the contest but tells nothing of the effort/skill/etc. You say it does not matter how they win. I will never agree to that. Why would you follow let alone brag about any team that plays sloppy frequently?
Old 11-28-2012   #70
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Curious...did you read the original post or just the title?
I did read entire thread, the title and the following stuck out the most:

Bottom line is: All we should care about is the Texans going on a 3 game win streak in the playoffs and returning from from New Orleans with a silver trophy with a football on top.

I totally disagree with both. I do not see it happening, but if the 3 games are sloppy, I would not be happy.

Answer me this: Do you follow Texans for wins or performance? I have stated on this and other threads for me, it is about performance. Competition. I hate it when college teams usually rated top 10 annually play two or three games against some junior high college and then strut because they have a "great" season. Play that team for the cash it brings but do not count it in the record. As I know someone will argue all teams do that, it does not make it right.

Athletes compete to be competitive.
Old 11-28-2012   #71
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Bottom line is: All we should care about is the Texans going on a 3 game win streak in the playoffs and returning from from New Orleans with a silver trophy with a football on top.

I totally disagree with both. I do not see it happening, but if the 3 games are sloppy, I would not be happy.

Answer me this: Do you follow Texans for wins or performance? I have stated on this and other threads for me, it is about performance. Competition. I hate it when college teams usually rated top 10 annually play two or three games against some junior high college and then strut because they have a "great" season. Play that team for the cash it brings but do not count it in the record. As I know someone will argue all teams do that, it does not make it right.

Athletes compete to be competitive.
Nobody wants to watch garbage football. Nowhere did I state that should be the case. Just don't get so hung up on a win in which your team isn't running on all cylinders. As long as there isn't a pattern then it's just part of the NFL.

I follow the team because:
a) They are the team I choose to follow and have since 1999
b) They have a chance each season to win the Superbowl

Everything else is just building to accomplish "b". As explained above, of course I WANT the team to blow everyone out. I'll complain if my team does poorly. I'm not blind when they make bad decisions. If they don't make it to the playoffs or lose once they are there, it's off to next season. It's frustrating but it happens to 31 teams each year. But...if my team hoists the Lombardi at the end of the year, everything that happened during the season (good or bad) will send me and all the other Texans fans to cloud 9.
Old 11-28-2012   #72
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good question & one I have considered. If we had a season with some sloppy games, I would not be happy with a sloppy SB win. I do know that the feeling I had after that type of win would not be a good one. I have experienced a yucky feeling after a yucky win. I did not watch any of the games when Astros went to World Series. I had no connection with the players who did not inspire me to follow them.

I am not talking about games we win when the other team has injuries or bad play. It is about my team and how they play. One or two sloppy games in a season does not make me stop watching but if I don't see attempts to correct, I rapidly lose interest. For me it is more about doing your best against the best. Slop is for pigs.
badboy, I fully understand your take of how your favorite team should win the game to have good feeling of the team. I do too. However, I've been a fan of Houston professional teams especially football for long time and I'd seen too many of those hard fought tough loses and would like to see more of wins than those loses. Of course, it would be nice to see very technically and tactically sound game by the Texans but sometimes even so call great team have some hiccup games during regular season and I am some what more forgiven to those hiccups than you.

Yes, I would be lying if I am not concern about our recent D performances.
But to me, this seems more to do with injuries to key players and Wade is trying to figure out how they put puzzles back together to be a good D performance unit. Obviously, lost of Cushing hurt us and J Jo absent also hurt us. However, I am trusting Wade to comes up with a solution and expecting some result VS Titans. I am looking forward to Merci's good showing at WOLB.

Anyway, we all have differences of opinion on things which makes us individually unique human being and it's all good.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012   #73
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Quote:

First - I understand that humans are different. I'm really not trying to convince you that your way of looking at it is wrong. This is just the way I look at it.

I have one other thing to add. Herv brought this up to me for a completely different reason but it really applies here.

The Rockets won championships using "Rudy ball". It was the ugliest form of basketball I've ever watched. U G L Y. They just kept winning though. When the Rockets won that last game in the Finals, I've never felt a feeling like that before. Finally a sports team I that was "mine" won the ultimate prize. It was amazing. The only thing that would be better would be an NFL championship. I hope we all get to experience that this year together.
Old 11-28-2012   #74
klockWork
Veteran

Rep Power: 17856 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

In this aspect the quality of wins DOES matter. Because it's affecting the most critical aspects of the game which is defense.
Schaub is not a good enough QB to carry a team against a great defense. Heck, even Brady and Rogers will struggle against great defense. Schaub no where near as great as those QB and he never even play in a playoff game yet!

If you driving your car and it started to make a loud sputtering sound but it got you home, are you just going to shrug it off, pat the hood of your car and say to it, "Don't worry baby, it don't matter how you running, it only matters if you get me there."

Is this what's this thread about? As long as it gets us there? Really?

If you have to drive that car across the country how good do u feel about your chances of making across with a breakdown?

Just because we're winning doesnt mean we can afford to ignore the warning signs.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012   #75
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
If you driving your car and it started to make a loud sputtering sound but it got you home, are you just going to shrug it off, pat the hood of your car and say to it, "Don't worry baby, it don't matter how you running, it only matters if you get me there."

Is this what's this thread about? As long as it gets us there? Really?

If you have to drive that car across the country how good do u feel about your chances of making across with a breakdown?

Just because we're winning doesnt mean we can afford to ignore the warning signs.
Sigh...no you can't ignore problems that have to be corrected. I've pointed that out. If you read the thread it's really about people complaining that we "barely" beat some of the weaker teams.

As long as your sputtering car brings home the Lombardi then yes, that's what the goal is. It's better than having an awesome sports car that goes 200mph but runs out of gas 5 miles from where you need to go right? Patriots reference again.
Old 11-28-2012   #76
76Texan
Hall of Fame

You don't win too many games by being sloppy in this league.

When mis-tackles or miss-assignments mount; that's when you start being concern. It is not rampant here so there's really no point of discussing it. But if one wants to be perfect then by all means =P
Old 11-28-2012   #77
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
A better analogy would be if you're watching your favorite actor on TV in a sputtering car that barely gets him to his destination.

You can opine all you want about that pos, but nothing you do will have any affect on the car's mechanical integrity.

In this case, we've just watched our beloved football team experience real serious issues, manage to overcome it & deliver a victory. Many then expressed the sentiment...... "whew, that was ugly. However, I'm happy as long as we got the W."

After some time has passed... for some it was 5 minutes, others waited until Friday morning, those same people started threads, or participated in threads discussing the deficiencies that were apparent in not only that game, but the two games prior.

We see trends, same as you. We're not ignoring anything. Saying "Quality of Wins- Not Important" doesn't mean we've got our heads in the sand.
Old 11-28-2012   #78
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 11-28-2012   #79
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
A better analogy would be if you're watching your favorite actor on TV in a sputtering car that barely gets him to his destination.

You can opine all you want about that pos, but nothing you do will have any affect on the car's mechanical integrity.

In this case, we've just watched our beloved football team experience real serious issues, manage to overcome it & deliver a victory. Many then expressed the sentiment...... "whew, that was ugly. However, I'm happy as long as we got the W."

After some time has passed... for some it was 5 minutes, others waited until Friday morning, those same people started threads, or participated in threads discussing the deficiencies that were apparent in not only that game, but the two games prior.

We see trends, same as you. We're not ignoring anything. Saying "Quality of Wins- Not Important" doesn't mean we've got our heads in the sand.
Sounds like he wants to replace Schaub!
Old 11-28-2012   #80
klockWork
Veteran

Rep Power: 17856 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds like I want to replace Schaub? Just because I say he's not as good as Brady or Rogers you gonna get offended by that? I want to take this thread seriously but with reaction like that then I'll probably go and play Madden.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read