Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-22-2012   #61
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84321 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The play

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
Why does the rule exist in the first place? I've been trying to think of a reason and can't.

Also good job by Forsett playing to the whistle!
I think it is to keep coaches from being able to influence a play by basically asking for a challenge when the booth is responsible. Kind of like a free challenge.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012   #62
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESAD2-14 View Post
In all actuality the Texans received two gifts. One from the ref's than another from Schwartz. I am not complaining at all, had it happened to us and the Lions were on the receiving end of that call, their fans and team would have accepted just as much as us. Them's the breaks, and for to long the Texans have been on the other side of calls like that. I'll take it and let the other teams fans groan about it for weeks on end instead of us this time around.

I hear you and I get it. In all actuality we are.....

10-1

You and I both love it. I guess at the end of the day I don't compute "what if's." If a ref in Pittburgh didn't smoke a bag of weed and have his mom piss in a bottle the Oilers would have had one less "what-ifs."

Kidding, but you get my drift.
Old 11-22-2012   #63
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Why didn't Detroit get to review the Texans' td?

Because **** them that's why!!!
Old 11-22-2012   #64
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

-------
Old 11-22-2012   #65
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel for Lions fans..... I just can't reach them.
Old 11-22-2012   #66
bigfan77801
Plebian

Rep Power: 375 bigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Screw them!!

We were all taught as little kids to play until you hear the whistle - Shame on the Lions Players.

Coaches need to be held accountable for knowing the rules. Shame on Jim Schwartz.

Have you noticed that Kubiak calls a ref. over to discuss the options before throwing a challenge flag?? That's why!
I meant I thought it was really funny watching the Lions fans implode.
Old 11-22-2012   #67
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I'm not complaining either because in the first 8 seasons, we've rarely recieved many gifts.
Good point. We "never" get the gifts..... times a'changing.
Old 11-22-2012   #68
Ranger Tom
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16491 Ranger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respected

I really wish the referee had gone into detail while he made that announcement. Honestly, how much time would it have taken? "Illegal challenge, defense, fifteen yard penalty. By rule, because this challenge was made illegally, the play will not be reviewed. The result of the play is a touchdown. Penalty will be enforced at the kickoff."

Would have gone a long way, I think, in easing the crowd's pain.

Come to think of it, didn't the announcers say that this was the same referee from the Tuck Rule Game?
Ranger Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012   #69
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Tom View Post
I really wish the referee had gone into detail while he made that announcement. Honestly, how much time would it have taken? "Illegal challenge, defense, fifteen yard penalty. By rule, because this challenge was made illegally, the play will not be reviewed. The result of the play is a touchdown. Penalty will be enforced at the kickoff."

Would have gone a long way, I think, in easing the crowd's pain.
I'm pretty sure he did explain it in detail. We were going nuts. The Cowboy fans in the house was saying how Forsett was down and all that. Then when we saw the TD stand, we rewound it & had a good laugh at Schwartz's expense.
Old 11-22-2012   #70
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
I think it is to keep coaches from being able to influence a play by basically asking for a challenge when the booth is responsible. Kind of like a free challenge.

Mike
I think it's for what it is ruled as being: An unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

When you already "know" that a score is being reviewed....it's a d-bag move for a coach to toss the challenge flag. Duh, it's going to be reviewed--No need to throw the red flag and make a scene about it.

Especially for those REAL full-time professional d-bags like Schwartz who need their asses tagged with a 15-yarder....and hey, let's also remove the entire challenge process while we're at it, just to make extra sure your coach gets the point. I love it.

The coaches raised hell about how unjust it was for them to have to burn limited challenges on things like TDs that might not be TDs......so the league goes and rules that you don't gotta burn a challenge or risk a timeout anymore, but check it out: In return for that concession...keep your red hankie in your damn pocket!

Seems like it is what it is: Unsportsmanlike conduct. The refs deal with bitching coaches all game, this was one thing they got in their favor to keep a coach from tossing a flag at their feet.

I loved Schwartz getting hosed by it.
Old 11-22-2012   #71
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Haven't been on this side of that bad of a blown call many times. Feels good man.
Old 11-22-2012   #72
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Wasn't he the coach who yelled at Harbaugh to "learn the rules" before the famous post game handshake last year.
Old 11-22-2012   #73
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
Wasn't he the coach who yelled at Harbaugh to "learn the rules" before the famous post game handshake last year.
Yes he was.
Old 11-22-2012   #74
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Haven't been on this side of that bad of a blown call many times. Feels good man.
When we start getting those roughing the passer calls, we'll know we've arrived. They were killing Matt
Old 11-23-2012   #75
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
I managed 3 pages..
Old 11-23-2012   #76
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Dude's avatar on the Lions' board:

Priceless!!
Old 11-23-2012   #77
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I'd like to hear the Mike Pereria (sp?) explanation. He's pretty good at breaking these things down for us common fans.
Ask and ye shall receive:

Mike Pereira
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012   #78
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance_C View Post
Dude's avatar on the Lions' board:

Snapshot of Schwartz throwing his head coaching gig away.
Old 11-23-2012   #79
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I dont think this rule existed last year. I can't swear to that, but.....
The rule has been around since they put in the automatic reviews. And, yes, we got stung by the same rule when Kubiak threw a challenge on a play. I don't remember the game, I just remember it happening.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012   #80
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84986 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
The rule has been around since they put in the automatic reviews. And, yes, we got stung by the same rule when Kubiak threw a challenge on a play. I don't remember the game, I just remember it happening.
Bad rule IMO (So's the tuck rule). Should be changed (So should the tuck rule). Probably will be changed (Unlike the tuck rule to this point).

Bad rules correctly enforced shouldn't overshadow everything that's happened before or after (especially after).

Signed,
The 2001 New England Patriots

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read