Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-22-2012   #21
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Last year, Jim Harbaugh challenged a scoring play and was penalized. Jim Schwartz was seen laughing on the sidelines. After the game (a Niner win), Harbaugh gave Schwartz "the handshake" that led to a near brawl.

Who's laughing now, Jim?
Schwartz is the King of all d-bags.

This was sooooo perfect that it happened to him. It cost his team the game.

It has made my day.
Old 11-22-2012   #22
bigfan77801
Plebian

Rep Power: 376 bigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The play

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Love the link.
Old 11-22-2012   #23
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a big fan of the Kharma concept.

I hate it for Lion fans, as replay surely shows the Texans were "Gifted" a Touchdown.

But, I couldn't wish the outcome of that play on any other team with a player not Named SUH!!! I was concerned with N'DonkeyKong before the game and the nut-shot on Schaub was the epitome of what that player is about. Schwartz alows his players to THUG all season long, and I'm glad to see them suffer some bad kharma.

If I was Kubiak, rather than waste the 15 yd penalty on the kickoff for a sure touchback, I'd have attempted an onside kick "unsuspecting" knowing that a Lion recovery would still be recoverable in the terms of field position.
Old 11-22-2012   #24
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Yeah, it was a rule apparently, but it does seem silly to be given a 15 yard penalty, but not preserve the integrity of the game by reviewing the play, which would have most likely showed that Forsett was down.

I mean, in the end, the integrity of the game is what is important here, right?

Just ridiculous.
Agreed. What a-hole made that rule? You throw the flag at the wrong time and this is such a horrible imposition that you get robbed of the replay? Absurd.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012   #25
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfan77801 View Post
Love the link.
Holy crap, this post was brilliant:

Suh just wanted Schaub to know what if feels like to be a Lions fan.
Old 11-22-2012   #26
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 181446 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
Why does the rule exist in the first place? I've been trying to think of a reason and can't.

Also good job by Forsett playing to the whistle!
Supposedly, and this is all I got, it came about because coaches found a small loophole. They were using the red flag to quick-challenge a play they would not have otherwise challenged in order to get a makeshift time out.

Take with a grain of salt, but that's how I understand the rule's origin.
Old 11-22-2012   #27
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfan77801 View Post
Love the link.
Screw them!!

We were all taught as little kids to play until you hear the whistle - Shame on the Lions Players.

Coaches need to be held accountable for knowing the rules. Shame on Jim Schwartz.

Have you noticed that Kubiak calls a ref. over to discuss the options before throwing a challenge flag?? That's why!
Old 11-22-2012   #28
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 35052 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012   #29
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Screw them!!

We were all taught as little kids to play until you hear the whistle - Shame on the Lions Players.

Coaches need to be held accountable for knowing the rules. Shame on Jim Schwartz.

Have you noticed that Kubiak calls a ref. over to discuss the options before throwing a challenge flag?? That's why!
If I remember correctly Kubiak was called for this same infraction last season and now makes sure to talk it over first.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012   #30
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Supposedly, and this is all I got, it came about because coaches found a small loophole. They were using the red flag to quick-challenge a play they would not have otherwise challenged in order to get a makeshift time out.

Ah. Thanks! That makes some sense. Seems like over kill, but this is the nfl.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012   #31
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
If I remember correctly Kubiak was called for this same infraction last season and now makes sure to talk it over first.
I dont think this rule existed last year. I can't swear to that, but.....
Old 11-22-2012   #32
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:

Thats the exact reason that I think this rule was implemented this season.
Old 11-22-2012   #33
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:

Interesting. I never really thought of this before, but does that mean you can throw the red flag if you're out of timeouts? I would think you'd have to have at least one timeout left in order to be able to use the red flag....
Old 11-22-2012   #34
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Supposedly, and this is all I got, it game about because coaches found a small loophole. They were using the red flag to quik-challenge a play they would not have otherwise challenged in order to get a makeshift time out.

Well, whatever the reason, it needs to be clarified.

Integrity of the game is just that. Integrity of the game. Did anyone actually see any integrity here.

Was it a touchdown? No, it wasn't. Was there an instant replay to correct the call? No, there wasn't.

Either you have instant replay, or you don't. It's that simple.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012   #35
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We shouldn't lose a wink of sleep over this.

It is a stupid rule: do we need something so punitive for the scourge that is an improperly-thrown flag? But it is the rule, and NFL coaches get paid a lot of money to know them. Of course, judging by the way Suh plays, it is quite clear that Schwartz doesn't have much use for rules.

Nobody asks the Patriots to give back their post Tuck Rule Super Bowl. And I could care less that some folks will think the win is tarnished. They can have the taint. We'll take the win.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012   #36
sometexansfan
Blue Bomber

Rep Power: 142 sometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Interesting. I never really thought of this before, but does that mean you can throw the red flag if you're out of timeouts? I would think you'd have to have at least one timeout left in order to be able to use the red flag....
Yep, you can't throw the red flag if you're out of timeouts.
sometexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012   #37
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Agreed. What a-hole made that rule? You throw the flag at the wrong time and this is such a horrible imposition that you get robbed of the replay? Absurd.

I think it makes perfect sense. The rule seems designed to keep game delays to a minimum. Every time some coach tosses a red flag out onto the field everything has to stop and the referee has to go over and find out what he's challenging and stuff just stops while they sort that out. Players get a breather, I don't know can substitutions be made? I see the point of the rule. No throwing a flag out there to stop the game to keep your defense from being run off the field or to get any sort of advantage. There are enough delays and time-outs in professional football as it is. Too many really.

So if you throw the flag out at an inappropriate time or for a play that can't be reviewed you get penalized. Part of that penalty is that you don't get the benefit of the review you demanded.

It's not like we haven't all known that all scoring plays are reviewed by the replay official. They've been saying that ever since preseason. Schwartz is an imbecile and deserved what he got. I feel for their fans and some of their players (Suh, not so much) but that's the breaks. Thorn had that signature (maybe he still does) about life being hard but being harder if you're stupid.

Jim Schwartz knows a thing or two about that now.

The NFL is very clear about it. The Rule
Old 11-22-2012   #38
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sometexansfan View Post
Yep, you can't throw the red flag if you're out of timeouts.
OK, so I'm still confused then. Was Detroit penalized because they were out of timeouts or simply because it was an inappropriate time to throw the red flag?
Old 11-22-2012   #39
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47206 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't give a rats ass. A win is a win.
Say Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012   #40
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
The rule seems designed to keep game delays to a minimum.
I suppose I can see that. But does it really delay the game that much? I would think the ref could just tell the coach he can't do that and keep the clock running. If the confusion results in a delay of game, then that's where the penalty is applied.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read