Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-26-2012   #1
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Quality of Wins - Not Important

Don't expect perfection. When you see games like Buffalo that didn't turn out to be as big a win as everyone expected, or tight games against inferior teams like OT victories vs the Jags & Lions it creates seeds of doubt. We all know that teams can win the Superbowl as a wildcard team. The Giants just won the Superbowl after a 9-7 regular season. That's 7 turds they laid. Plus...5 of their WINS were by 4 points or less. Not very impressive. Even teams that win 14+ in the regular season like the Colts in 2009 have some close games. They went 14-0 and sat players for the final 2 games (they lost both). Here's the scores of those 14 Colts wins:

Jags - 14-12
@ Dolphins - 27-23
@ Cards - 31-10
Seahawks - 34-17
@ Titans - 31-9
@ Rams - 42-6
49ers - 18-14
Texans - 20-17
Pats - 35-34
@ Ravens - 17-15
@ Texans - 35-27
Titans - 27-17
Broncos - 28-16
@ Jags - 35-31

Sure, that schedule didn't have many creampuffs on it but there also were 8 one score wins. Not exactly dominating. Other than the 16-0 2007 Patriots (who lost the SB) there hasn't been a team that dominates week after week in the regular season. The NFL is too difficult.

Bad teams beat themselves. Good teams find ways to win. We finally have a team that is a true contender. The NFL regular season record is only used to set up the playoffs.

Bottom line is: All we should care about is the Texans going on a 3 game win streak in the playoffs and returning from from New Orleans with a silver trophy with a football on top.
Old 11-26-2012   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Quality of Wins - Not Important

Speaking of which, shouldn't they have already sent out the play-off invoices?

I'm ready. Been ready. I know Bob wants my money, what's the hold up?
Old 11-26-2012   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post

Why? They haven't even clinched yet.
Old 11-26-2012   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Why? They haven't even clinched yet.
I know. Just a little impatient.
Old 11-26-2012   #5
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

They sent the letter making sure they had your right address.

All in good time.
Old 11-26-2012   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

All in good time.
When I saw it, I thought it was the invoice for the play-off games. I was thinking, "My, they're feeling very confident."
Old 11-26-2012   #7
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-26-2012   #8
TheDream34
Veteran

Rep Power: 557 TheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ugh... We should have won both of those Colts games that year. Should have been a wild card team that year.
TheDream34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #9
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If I remember right, they sent them out after the first week of December (6th-10th somewhere around there) with a deadline of the 23rd or something like that, maybe a little later.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #10
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9598 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

How many remember that the Patriots came close to losing to an AJ Feeley led Eagles...Speaking about the Patriots, where would they be with out that kicker Vinateari(sp)?

To me, no such thing as a good L or a bad W.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Some people are just happy with getting across the finish line. Some like to brag about ribbons and trophies. I remember getting a ribbon for three rabbits I enterred at Houston Fat Stock Show as a kid. Momma liked it but I was only one entered in that category and judge told me they were not even show rabbit quality. He felt sorry for me.

Sure asloppy win is acceptable but I watch sports to be entertained not so I can brag on my team being less pukey than the opponent. Too many sloppies and I go elsewhere.
Old 11-26-2012   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post

Sure asloppy win is acceptable but I watch sports to be entertained not so I can brag on my team being less pukey than the opponent. Too many sloppies and I go elsewhere.
Sloppy is one thing. I didn't think either the Jags game or the Lions game was sloppy. I was thoroughly entertained.

Well, the Jags was a little sloppy, missed assignments & what not. But it's not like we turned the ball over 8 times or shot ourselves in the foot the way the Jets did. We got caught sleeping & managed to pull out a W.

It doesn't bother me that the Jags were 1-8. Or that the Lions have a losing record anymore than it bothers Belichick that the Seahawks started a rookie QB, or that Arizona doesn't even know who their QB is, or that they had to score 37 to beat the Bills, or that they lost to a team the Texans destroyed.

It's all football & entertaining, and if it weren't for the parity in the league, most of us wouldn't be watching.
Old 11-26-2012   #13
Bull Pen 1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1621 Bull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

They are in now, payment due by Dec 14th.

You can see them on line, go to Houston Texans web site, the tickets, then sign in to you account.
Bull Pen 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

All in good time.
Damnit woman!! You just reminded me that I haven't mailed or faxed that sheet in yet.... Okay, maybe not "damnit woman" but more like: "Thank you Steph for reminding me......"
Old 11-26-2012   #15
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Some people are just happy with getting across the finish line. Some like to brag about ribbons and trophies. I remember getting a ribbon for three rabbits I enterred at Houston Fat Stock Show as a kid. Momma liked it but I was only one entered in that category and judge told me they were not even show rabbit quality. He felt sorry for me.

What team ever just rolls through a season? As has been mentioned, the Giants, the SUPER BOWL CHAMPION GIANTS, lost 7 games last year. Say what you want about them, they have the hardware, and if you tell Giant fan they slopped to the title, it doesn't matter. Scoreboard.

The Texans may be playing through some sloppy games right now, but they are still winning those games. The Giants played a couple of sloppy games the last 2 weeks and lost. Come January, none of that is really going to mean a whole lot. The Patriots were 16-0 but when January started they were 0-0, just like the other 11 teams that made it to the 2nd season.

Teams have bad stretches of games. The best teams lose to the worst teams on any given day. You just have bad days. You get into funks. That's just the nature of sports. The fact that the Texans are still finding ways to win when not playing their best is pretty freaking sweet. If the Texans are having one of those bad days in January, the fact that they know they can win a game like that can only help.

2 straight years of double digit wins sure beats 9 straight years of no playoffs. Let's enjoy the ride for a change.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Old 11-26-2012   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sloppy is one thing. I didn't think either the Jags game or the Lions game was sloppy. I was thoroughly entertained.

Well, the Jags was a little sloppy, missed assignments & what not. But it's not like we turned the ball over 8 times or shot ourselves in the foot the way the Jets did. We got caught sleeping & managed to pull out a W.

It doesn't bother me that the Jags were 1-8. Or that the Lions have a losing record anymore than it bothers Belichick that the Seahawks started a rookie QB, or that Arizona doesn't even know who their QB is, or that they had to score 37 to beat the Bills, or that they lost to a team the Texans destroyed.

It's all football & entertaining, and if it weren't for the parity in the league, most of us wouldn't be watching.
Parity for me is that every team has same chance to get better. Parity is not 17 teams under 500 and 5 more @545 (6-5). This is why Ws are not the main reason I watch. I really bothered me that a 1-8 team gave us a real run for our money. Lions was a bit different but did keep me on edge of seat. If most of our games were like Jags, I would probably quit watching. Now as we are keepin our #1 rank and other teams realize they have to bring it or they're going home with tails between their legs, it does get harder. I don't see any easy teams left but I don't see any I fear. If Joseph is solid against N.E. we should beat them. I think Tate could be the turning point for us if he comes back productive. With our three backs we should manhandle all future opponents.
Old 11-26-2012   #17
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

And the funny thing is, the Texans will get it together next Sunday, bash the Inbreds 42-10, and it still won't be good enough because it was the Inbreds. Hard to please some people.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Old 11-26-2012   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
What team ever just rolls through a season? As has been mentioned, the Giants, the SUPER BOWL CHAMPION GIANTS, lost 7 games last year. Say what you want about them, they have the hardware, and if you tell Giant fan they slopped to the title, it doesn't matter. Scoreboard.

The Texans may be playing through some sloppy games right now, but they are still winning those games. The Giants played a couple of sloppy games the last 2 weeks and lost. Come January, none of that is really going to mean a whole lot. The Patriots were 16-0 but when January started they were 0-0, just like the other 11 teams that made it to the 2nd season.

Teams have bad stretches of games. The best teams lose to the worst teams on any given day. You just have bad days. You get into funks. That's just the nature of sports. The fact that the Texans are still finding ways to win when not playing their best is pretty freaking sweet. If the Texans are having one of those bad days in January, the fact that they know they can win a game like that can only help.

2 straight years of double digit wins sure beats 9 straight years of no playoffs. Let's enjoy the ride for a change.
I see bad day diffferent than sloppy day. A bad day is when Schaub bounce a pass off a TE and it is intercepted, or referees don't blow whistle when the runner is down and a TD that wasn't beats you. A bad day is when you just miss your block, tackle, a hole or you jump just a second too soon and the pass brushes your fingers.

The last three games have been good for me and the Texans to see that they can still win; slop would not have gotten a win. It is also good to see the coaching.

It seems though that I am outnumbered that most just want a trophy regardless of how it comes.

I AM NOT saying this is a sloppy team but there has been some sloppy plays.
Old 11-26-2012   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And the funny thing is, the Texans will get it together next Sunday, bash the Inbreds 42-10, and it still won't be good enough because it was the Inbreds. Hard to please some people.
Not Inbreds, "Tinnbreds".. Sheesh, get it right.

That said, I'm calling another close game. The Tinnbreds are a divisional foe and we certainly are having a target on our back. I don't think it will be nearly the nail-biter that the last two games have been, but I'm thinking it will be more like a 21-10 or a 27-17 type game.
Old 11-26-2012   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
We should beat them by that score but do you think we will? Does not mean it will be sloppy but I expect us to beat the opponent on the field whether the scoreboard reflects it or not.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read