Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Houston Texans @ Detroit Lions. 11:30. 11/22. **Official Thanksgiving Day Thread**

Happy Thanksgiving, fam!

Following an uncharacteristic performance, the Houston Texans' defense won't have much time to prepare for another challenge.

The Detroit Lions own of one of the league's most prolific offenses, but history isn't on their side.

The AFC-leading Texans try to extend their four-game win streak when they play a Lions team trying to win its first Thanksgiving Day game in nine years.

Houston (9-1) ranks among the NFL's best defenses with 18.0 points and 299.2 yards allowed per game, but struggled to contain woeful Jacksonville in a 43-37 overtime victory Sunday.

The Texans, who hadn't allowed a touchdown in their previous two games, needed record-setting performances from Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson to help them rally from a 14-point deficit in the fourth quarter.

Schaub passed for 527 yards, tied for the second-most in an NFL game, and a franchise-best five touchdowns. Johnson posted career highs of 14 receptions and 273 yards - the most in the league since 2000 - and scored the winning touchdown in the extra period.

The Texans, though, also gave up a season-high 458 yards with Jacksonville's backup quarterback Chad Henne throwing for 354.

"We obviously didn't play up to our standard," coach Gary Kubiak said. "We gave up big plays. We had a few assignment issues, which is unusual for us. That's something we've got to fix."

Houston might have another test against the Lions, who rank second in the league with 401.7 yards per game. Those efforts, though, haven't translated into many wins.

Detroit (4-6) is coming off Sunday's 24-20 loss to visiting Green Bay, its fifth defeat by eight points or fewer. Matthew Stafford completed a season-low 43.6 percent of his passes (17 of 39) and one of his two interceptions was returned for a touchdown. The Lions, who have lost eight in a row on Thanksgiving since beating Green Bay in 2003, had four turnovers in all, bringing their season total to 18.

"Obviously I have to play better to give us a chance to win," Stafford said.

From Bucky Brooks of NFL.com
Prediction: The Texans are the best team in the AFC, but they have been exploited by high-powered passing offenses this season. Detroit will challenge Houston's secondary with a host of deep throws to Megatron. While this tactic could keep things close for most of the contest, the Texans' efficient offense will eventually overpower the Lions in the fourth quarter. Texans 34, Lions 24
MORE PICKS: http://challengegames.nfl.com/pickem/experts#game-day-morning
What I want to see:

Test out the Lion safeties up top

Second game in a row that I'm actually advocating this. The Schaub to Dre connection has been a sight to behold recently, so let's test 'em.

Double that damn Decepticon...

...every single time. Look, this man...well, he's not a man. That's a machine. The DBs need to find a way to limit Stafford's throws to him. We all know Matt Stafford will toss him the pill at any time, even while double or triple covered. So, with that...

...GET. PRESSURE. ON. STAFFORD

I can't stress this enough. One of the reasons why Chad Henne skinned the defense alive was thanks to a lack of pressure. Need Barwin, Reed, Mercilus and some well timed blitzes to get to him early and often.

Run Arian Run

The Lions are, according to the numbers, a middle-of-the-road team in run D. Honestly, I don't care if they were #1 and only allowing 2.3 yards a GAME (not per carry), I still want to see us feature the run. Got to slow down their pass rush and keep a tough D-Line like Detroit's on the honest side.

Happy Thanksgiving, ladies and gents!! 10 years ago...hell, even 5 years ago, I never thought we'd EVER get a game on Thanksgiving. Now, just because we all get turkey today, doesn't mean anything has changed. 1-0 every single week, or in this case: 2-0! Be loud around your family, enjoy your feast, and have a happy, safe and pleasant Thanksgiving! LET'S MUTHA****IN' GO, TEXANS!!!!

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Let's go baby! Pumped up for this one. Same as usual....play smart and disciplined, take care of the ball, and good things will happen. I have to say I'm worried about Calvin w/o Joseph on him but we'll see what happens. Maybe we can let him get his and shut everything else down.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Let's go baby! Pumped up for this one. Same as usual....play smart and disciplined, take care of the ball, and good things will happen. I have to say I'm worried about Calvin w/o Joseph on him but we'll see what happens. Maybe we can let him get his and shut everything else down.
Is JJo playing?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Tomorrow is about Giving thanks,family,turkey and kicking the Lions butts.

GO TEXANS

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I can't believe I'm up at 3AM in the morning. I'm to old for this ****.

Go Texans!!! :texan:

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
Happy to hear that someone is picking against us, always makes me nervous when everyone picks us.

Looking forward to the game, feeling confident enough, think we will be up for a good bounce back game.

FirstTexansFan

The Unknown Fan
Lets go kick some Lion butt! I want some of that to go with my turkey and dressing today :)

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving to all my online Texan friends, this is my one source for Texans info :)

SheTexan

Hall of Fame
I'm not as worried about Suh as I am about KJ stopping Megathron, or whoever we have covering him. Got a bad feeling he will wanna beat AJs stats from last week, just to prove HE is the supposed best! Our corners have GOT to play their best!

TejasTom

All Pro
Let's wrap up some pro bowl spots today. Not that we'll have any players in the pro bowl. We're holding our party in New Orleans.

Austrian

All Pro
Happy Thanksgiving guys. I'm a little worried about this game. A short week coupled with an agressive opponent scares me a little bit. Let's hope for no injuries for both teams! I hope we shall never feel the wrath of the backup QB again. ;)

Go Texans!

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
It feels weird having a game today. Doesn't feel bad, but definitely a different vibe (for me at least).

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
It feels weird having a game today. Doesn't feel bad, but definitely a different vibe (for me at least).
Wow! I was thinking the same exact thing before I clicked on this thread. Getting ready to do the Thanksgiving and all that stuff and what? It's game day? Oh man! Gotta crank it up a notch now.

GO TEXANS!!!!!!

hot pickle

Canada Eh
here we go my neighbors to the south. my favorite holiday of the year, and we don't celebrate it here, but took the day off school and got the maple whiskey ready to go at kick off

lets get drunk and watch the texans

:texflag:

417Texan

Waterboy
here we go my neighbors to the south. my favorite holiday of the year, and we don't celebrate it here, but took the day off school and got the maple whiskey ready to go at kick off

lets get drunk and watch the texans

:texflag:

Amen to you there in the North. I am fired up. Lions have issues of there own.

GlassHalfFull

Hall of Fame
It is strange for me. For years my Thanksgivings have revolved around the Aggie vs UT Thanksgiving game. We almost always went to the home games at Kyle. Having the Texans game today helps me not mind the Aggies not playing today.

And funny, I am in Austin for Thanksgiving this year for the first time ever.

Go Texans, time to continue the safari.

Bears, Jaguars and now the Lions. Oh My!

417Texan

Waterboy
It is strange for me. For years my Thanksgivings have revolved around the Aggie vs UT Thanksgiving game. We almost always went to the home games at Kyle. Having the Texans game today helps me not mind the Aggies not playing today.

I hate as a college football fan there is no TAMU and Ut game.

Lurvinator11

Veteran
Hey everyone, I just wanted to say I won't be posting in the GD thread at all today, since it is Thanksgiving.

My family is going to pause the game when it's time to eat, and then resume when we are done, so I don't want the outcome to be ruined.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Pollardized

Division Champ
Hey everyone, I just wanted to say I won't be posting in the GD thread at all today, since it is Thanksgiving.

My family is going to pause the game when it's time to eat, and then resume when we are done, so I don't want the outcome to be ruined.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Wow. I can't imagine anything keeping me from watching this game. Or any Texans game.

Pollardized

Division Champ
If you missed the CBS pre game piece on Jerome Harrison you missed something great. I had no idea what he has been through.

Texas T

Veteran

As a 'Horns fan-I agree-at least we have a game today, just not against A&M.

On the plus side-I'm in SEC country and have no reason not to root for A&M now.

GO TEXANS!!! We're holding off dinner until after the game-so I'm ready!!!

SmoochyTX

Veteran
If you missed the CBS pre game piece on Jerome Harrison you missed something great. I had no idea what he has been through.
Sounds like it was a good piece. I remember he was almost traded but failed the physical due to a brain tumor but never heard anything more about him. I hope I can find the video online somewhere.