Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-02-2014   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Giants Offensive Coordinator Kevin Gilbride announced his retirement Thursday

Giants Offensive Coordinator Kevin Gilbride announced his retirement Thursday
Quote:
After almost 40 years as a football coach, Kevin Gilbride knew it was time to put family ahead of football. But the Giants offensive coordinator, who today announced his retirement, didnít think it would be so difficult to step away from the game that has been such an integral part of his life.

ďItís hard to say, ĎItís time,íĒ Gilbride said. ďTo finally do it, itís a very unnatural feeling. Iíve been telling my wife (Debbie) for years I was going to do it. She moved back to Rhode Island (where she helps care for a granddaughter when the Gilbridesí daughter is working), so Iíve been by myself in the hotel for three or four years. I knew this was it and I was going to do it. I finally pulled the trigger. But itís difficult.Ē

Not just for Gilbride, but for those he has worked for and with during his 10 years with the Giants.

ďI have great respect for Kevin and Debbie and their family, so itís not an easy thing to part ways,Ē coach Tom Coughlin said. ďKevin is a professional. Heís been an exceptional football coach for the New York Giants. He helped win two Super Bowl championships. Kevin was the play-caller in Super Bowls XLII and XLVI. He has done a great service to the franchise.Ē

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #2
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109600 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Giants Offensive Coordinator Kevin Gilbride announced his retirement Thursday

I always liked Gilbride, especially the way he handled himself after the Buddy Ryan debacle. He did some great things with the Oilers and of course the Giants.

I think his job was in jeopardy anyway and he might have seen the writing on the wall.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Giants Offensive Coordinator Kevin Gilbride announced his retirement Thursday

wow...seems like just yesterday that he was a young coordinator trying to make a name for himself in the NFL. I didn't realize that he'd been around for so long. Looking at his wiki, he started coaching in the '70's! Interesting that he started off as a coach on the defensive side of the ball.

You could tell that the Buddy punch-attempt still bothers him when they interviewed for the Houston '93 documentary. You know he wishes he could do that all over again. He would have laid that old bastard out if given the chance back then.

I had completely forgotten that he'd been a head coach for the Chargers for two seasons (fired during the second one).
Old 01-05-2014   #4
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64147 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

At the end in Houston he was horrible, and Buddy had every right to go after him that game. It was good that he got back to form with the Giants though. When he was on in Houston, some of those Moon led teams were awesome. Time to take it easy and enjoy the fruits of his labor.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #5
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Great man. Was thrilled to see him win two SB trophies. Always wished he would have gotten another shot at a HC position after the SD thing didn't work out. His son will be making a name for himself in the near future I suspect. He is a member of the NY Giants staff as well.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read