Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Houston Texans can clinch NFL playoff berth Sunday

Fili

Rookie
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...on-texans-can-clinch-nfl-playoff-berth-sunday
The 9-1 Houston Texans can be the first team to punch their ticket to the dance if the following goes down in Week 11:

Convoluted scenario No. 1:

Texans win + Titans loss or tie + Dolphins loss or tie + Jets loss or tie + Bengals loss + Chargers loss or tie

Sounds unlikely? Yeah, probably. How 'bout this one?

The intense race for the playoffs is in full gear. Check out the latest situation in the postseason chase. More ...
Convoluted Scenario No. 2:

Texans win + Titans loss or tie + Dolphins loss or tie + Jets loss or tie + Bengals loss or tie + Steelers loss

What have we learned? Well, the Texans are unlikely to clinch a playoff spot in Week 11. But it is possible, which tells you a lot about how their season is going.

Keep up to date on the race to the postseason with our "Playoff Picture" page. Even you, Eagles fans.

Titans vs Jags
Dolphins vs Seahawks
Jets vs Patriots
Bengals vs Raiders
Chargers vs Ravens

There would have be a few big upsets for us to clinch this weekend.

Hooray!

I hope we clinch the number one seed early so we can take it easy on some of the guys, but one game at a time, one game at a time.

Titans vs Jags
Dolphins vs Seahawks
Jets vs Patriots
Bengals vs Raiders
Chargers vs Ravens

Everything short of the Raiders winning sounds plausable

Titans vs Jags
Dolphins vs Seahawks
Jets vs Patriots
Bengals vs Raiders
Chargers vs Ravens

Just the Bungals and the Tacks.

The Tacks can lose for all we care, right?

Scary IMO. I would rather they be in a dogfight to the bitter end.

If you mean by the "bitter end" the Super Bowl and that we're playing in the it, I agree.

If you mean that we won't know whether we've made the playoffs until the last week of the season, then I think that's nuts.

So which is it?

If you mean by the "bitter end" the Super Bowl and that we're playing in the it, I agree.

If you mean that we won't know whether we've made the playoffs until the last week of the season, then I think that's nuts.

So which is it?

Not just that but we should'nt be in a dog fight 'less we already forgot about Vicks, LOL.

I need a JJWatt's finger waving emoticon here :)

We're 9-1. We'll be in the playoffs. No need to worry or rush things.

Still, it wouldn't hurt my feelings one little bit if all those guys lost and we clinched a playoff berth in freakin' November!
:specnatz:

We're 9-1. We'll be in the playoffs. No need to worry or rush things.

Remember that one year when Shanahan's Broncos went 8-0 to start the season and then went 0-8 to finish it and missed the playoffs.

Yeah.

I won't believe we have the #1 seed until we have the #1 seed.

Still, it wouldn't hurt my feelings one little bit if all those guys lost and we clinched a playoff berth in freakin' November!
:specnatz:

That would be nice, and it might just get us a few seconds extra on NFLN if you can make it past them talking about the Jets or Cowboys. We could win 50,000 super bowls and be well on our way to the next stage of human evolution and they'd still be talking about the Jets and Cowboys before us.

Remember that one year when Shanahan's Broncos went 8-0 to start the season and then went 0-8 to finish it and missed the playoffs.

Yeah.

The number 1 seed will still take some doing, that's for sure. I hope we get it as well. Just making the playoffs at this stage is a done deal. Seriously.

The number 1 seed will still take some doing, that's for sure. I hope we get it as well. Just making the playoffs at this stage is a done deal. Seriously.

Agreed --- there's hardly any way the Texans don't make the playoffs at this point.

But clinching a spot early means the team can then focus exclusively on clinching home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

Yeah.

I think I read in the chronic today that if we win 3 more, we clinch home field. But I ain't gonna try to figure all that fancy math to confirm... just let me know when we do.

We need to finish 14-2 to clinch HFA...

13-3 would still give us the division, an 81% chance of HFA, and 99% Top-2 seed.

I think I read in the chronic today that if we win 3 more, we clinch home field. But I ain't gonna try to figure all that fancy math to confirm... just let me know when we do.

I wish that were true, but my math tells me that three more wins for the Texans equals 12 wins.

The Ravens have only lost 2 games and could thus conceivably win as many as 14 games. If the Ravens win 13 or 14 games while the Texans win only 12, then the Ravens win home field advantage.

The Patriots and Broncos have only lost 3 games and could thus conceivably win as many as 13 games, thus eclipsing a 12-4 Texans record.

Is it time to visit the playoff machine again?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

You know, if you set "Offensive Ranking" as the determining factor. The Colts win the division and we get in as a wild card.

Oh, it gets better; we have to go play the Steelers IN Pittsburgh because they're division winners and we're the wild card team.

Yeah... forget patience, the sooner we clinch, the better.
:aggressive:

Meh. Just win out and go 18-1 for 2012. That would be tons better than NE's 18-1 season.:fostering:

So which is it?

I'd rather be in a dogfight to the bitter end. Being the first to the dance has a tendency to take the pressure off too long and lose focus. There have been way too many times that a team with the best record get its clock cleaned in its own house by some wild card team that's loose, and has everything to gain, and nothing to lose.

I'd rather be in a dogfight to the bitter end. Being the first to the dance has a tendency to take the pressure off too long and lose focus. There have been way too many times that a team with the best record get its clock cleaned in its own house by some wild card team that's loose, and has everything to gain, and nothing to lose.

I'll never understand that mindset.
It's the freakin' playoffs. EVERYONE is in the "everything to gain, nothing to lose" situation.
It's Win or Go Home for everybody.

I want the home field advantage but part of me doesn't want a bye. We seem to always be sluggish after a bye. We're a momentum team more than many others, it seems.

I want the home field advantage but part of me doesn't want a bye. We seem to always be sluggish after a bye. We're a momentum team more than many others, it seems.

I hear what you're saying but it'll be tough to have the one without the other.

You just want to watch more Texans football, admit it!
icon10.gif

Well if you get a bye week you can pretty much count that as a win. I would rather have more time to get every as healthy as possible for the play-offs.

If a fan doesn't want a playoff spot locked up in November, I have to really wonder about that fan.

It ranks up there with fans who get bummed if we don't face a fully stacked opponent. I mean, Lord forbid we have an easier game because opponents have significant players out of a game.

I have a feeling those fans also love Kubiak's "Get Cute" play calling episodes. After all, it wouldn't be fair to defenses if we played our cards straight.

So which is it?
Nuts.
I think you're referring to the 2009 season where Josh McDaniels began his had coaching career 6-0, then the Broncos went 2-8 the rest of the way.

12 of the past 14 AFC Champions had a 1st round bye. I'm hoping the Texans get that bye, myself.

hell yeah get that bye. a week off will make our guys hungry and we got a qb who hasnt played in the playoffs. man talk about an itch.

As much as it would be nice to clinch that playoff spot this week, how about going into Tennessee and kicking their ass to wrap it up next week? That would be sweet. :evil:

I think you're referring to the 2009 season where Josh McDaniels began his had coaching career 6-0, then the Broncos went 2-8 the rest of the way.

I'm just getting old and my memory isn't as trustworthy as I think it is.

I conflated McDaniel's 6-0 start with Shanahan's last season where he was sitting at 8-5 and lost the last three games. Either way, they both had promising starts to their seasons go down the tubes. Which was the point I was trying to make in a befuddled and brain-addled way. :)

I'll never understand that mindset.
It's the freakin' playoffs. EVERYONE is in the "everything to gain, nothing to lose" situation.
It's Win or Go Home for everybody.

I fully expect this team, the way they are playing, to have a playoff spot wrapped up, if not this week, it will be the next, and I'm perfectly fine with that. The likelihood of them "taking it to the bitter end" is about as likely as an actual day going by without GP pulling wild-eyed sh!t out his ass.

win these next 3 games and we clinch THe Number 1 Seed

lose 2 games and we will be the Number 2 seed

lose 3 and we will have to play a WC game

O we can just pray NE and Denver IMplodes and makes it easy 4 us ..... LOL

Well if you get a bye week you can pretty much count that as a win. I would rather have more time to get every as healthy as possible for the play-offs.

Exactly! Getting the bye week is winning the 1st round without having to play it. Plus it means you're playing that 2nd round game at home instead of on the road.

Well, let's see how we're doing...

Convoluted scenario No. 1:
Texans win (check)
+ Titans loss or tie (@ Jags; possible only if Henne goes off on them like he went off on us)
+ Dolphins loss or tie (hosting Seahawks; maybe... Seahawks don't travel well)
+ Jets loss or tie (check)
+ Bengals loss (hosting Raiders so probably no go here)
+ Chargers loss or tie (hosting Ravens so not likely... It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they hung another loss on the Ravens though)

Sounds unlikely? Yeah, probably. How 'bout this one?

or...

Convoluted Scenario No. 2:
Texans win (check)
+ Titans loss or tie (see above)
+ Dolphins loss or tie (see above)
+ Jets loss or tie (check)
+ Bengals loss or tie (see above)
+ Steelers loss (@ Browns. I'd normally say "no go" but Pitt is down to their 3rd string QB and the Browns have been playing tough. And we certainly know how dangerous one-win teams can be)
Methinks it's still unlikely - but not impossible - that we clinch a playoff spot this weekend.

The most unlikely one is the Titans game, but if they lose, I will have hope.

I can certainly see the Bengals losing, and I can see the Chargers losing.

I know the Ravens aren't too good on the road, but this Chargers team is imploding, and it wouldn't surprise me if they lose out.

Clinching a playoff berth is nice, but let's get the number one seed!

Back