Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-25-2012   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The year of the QB

From what I've been seeing, I'm beginning to get the (very) early feeling that this 2012 Quarterback class has the potential to surpass what many consider the best QB class ever, the 1983 Draft:

1.(1) _Colts-->Broncos John Elway
1.(7) _Kansas City Chiefs Todd Blackledge
1.(14) Buffalo Bills Jim Kelly
1.(15) New England Patriots Tony Eason
1.(24) New York Jets Ken O'Brien
1.(27) Miami Dolphins Dan Marino

1. Indianapolis Colts Andrew Luck
1. Washington Redskins Robert Griffin III
1. Miami Dolphins Ryan Tannehill
1. Cleveland Browns Brandon Weeden
2. Denver Broncos Brock Osweiler
3. Seattle Seahawks Russell Wilson
3. Philadelphia Eagles Nick Foles
4. Washington Redskins Kirk Cousins

Outside of Brock Osweiler, who I have not yet seen, I have to say I've been pretty darned impressed with this rookie class. I can envision this 2012 group starting more games or having more meaningful starts.

Do you think it's a possibility that we are seeing the beginnings of the best QB draft class ever?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The year of the QB

Four of the class of 83 went to a Super bowl so that's a hell of a standard. Blackledge was a bust and O'Brien was serviceable and had a long career. Bruce Matthews, Chris Hinton and Jimbo Covert all went to Pro Bowls so that makes this a pretty good year for linemen too. It's gonna take some time to see what we have in these guys. Most of them won't start off like Marino even if they become great players later.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012   #3
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

That's a bit of a stretch. I like the bottom and the top 2 in that list, but I think Tannehill and Weeden are in for rough careers. It will be a while before we see anything outside of preseason activity for Cousins, Osweiler, and Foles. Russell Wilson is the most intriguing out of all of them.

And i'm not ready to write in stone that Luck will be a hall of famer.
Old 08-25-2012   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh, and I forgot one from 1983:

8.(197) Denver Broncos Gary Kubiak

Old 08-25-2012   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Oh, and I forgot one from 1983:

8.(197) Denver Broncos Gary Kubiak

He has more SB rings than the rest of the '83 class combined.
Old 08-25-2012   #6
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
From what I've been seeing, I'm beginning to get the (very) early feeling that this 2012 Quarterback class has the potential to surpass what many consider the best QB class ever, the 1983 Draft:

1.(1) _Colts-->Broncos John Elway
1.(7) _Kansas City Chiefs Todd Blackledge
1.(14) Buffalo Bills Jim Kelly
1.(15) New England Patriots Tony Eason
1.(24) New York Jets Ken O'Brien
1.(27) Miami Dolphins Dan Marino

1. Indianapolis Colts Andrew Luck
1. Washington Redskins Robert Griffin III
1. Miami Dolphins Ryan Tannehill
1. Cleveland Browns Brandon Weeden
2. Denver Broncos Brock Osweiler
3. Seattle Seahawks Russell Wilson
3. Philadelphia Eagles Nick Foles
4. Washington Redskins Kirk Cousins

Outside of Brock Osweiler, who I have not yet seen, I have to say I've been pretty darned impressed with this rookie class. I can envision this 2012 group starting more games or having more meaningful starts.

Do you think it's a possibility that we are seeing the beginnings of the best QB draft class ever?

Today Luck has had an occasional flash. But, he is definitely showing lots of rookie mistakes.......delay of game, several questionable decisions on throws
and backing up into a safety. And it seems that he will be getting no help this year from the Colts running game.........which appears to be nonexistent.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012   #7
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Today Luck has had an occasional flash. But, he is definitely showing lots of rookie mistakes.......delay of game, several questionable decisions on throws
and backing up into a safety. And it seems that he will be getting no help this year from the Colts running game.........which appears to be nonexistent.
Unless the box score is wrong that was Harnish and not Luck that got the safety.
Old 08-25-2012   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
Unless the box score is wrong that was Harnish and not Luck that got the safety.
You're correct, it happened right after their switch which I didn't catch.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #9
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

5 named starters out of this 2012 draft class.
Old 08-27-2012   #10
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Won't be long till Vick gets injured and Foles starts for Philly
Old 08-27-2012   #11
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 76577 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
Won't be long till Vick gets injured and Foles starts for Philly
And I've been very impressed with this guy. I think he may even be an upgrade. He looked pretty damn sharp to me.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #12
AndreJohnson's
Rookie

I think the rookies from last year have better shots than these guys. Cam Newton is gonna do well this year and what about that Andy Dalton guy. I think he's gonna go places; only if he gets out of cincinati.
AndreJohnson's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012   #13
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80683 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreJohnson's View Post
I think the rookies from last year have better shots than these guys. Cam Newton is gonna do well this year and what about that Andy Dalton guy. I think he's gonna go places; only if he gets out of cincinati.
Yeah because he only got them to the playoffs last year with a team that was supposed to be terrible in one of the toughest divisions in the NFL.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012   #14
AndreJohnson's
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Yeah because he only got them to the playoffs last year with a team that was supposed to be terrible in one of the toughest divisions in the NFL.
That was a fluke though. That team is TERRIBLE and I predict they go 5-11 this year. He needs to leave dodge fast.
AndreJohnson's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012   #15
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Let us not forget the QB class of 2004. In terms of Super Bowl victories, they've already lapped the fabled Class of 1983.

Eli Manning
Philip Rivers
Ben Roethlisberger
Matt Schaub
JP Losman
Luke McCown
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012   #16
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
5 rookie QB starters most in NFL since at least 1950, according to league. 3 in 68 3 in 69 was record.
Old 11-17-2012   #17
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Nick Foles will be the sixth rookie quarterback to make his NFL starting debut this season. Foles looks like a good one, to me.

Of the seven quarterbacks selected in the first three rounds, five have already started every game for their respective teams. Four have already thrown for 300 yards more than once. Three have scored at least three touchdowns in one game.

No. 1 overall pick Andrew Luck has the Indianapolis Colts at 6-3 and among the early leaders for an AFC wild-card berth. Third-round pick Russell Wilson has Seattle at 6-4 and in contention for the NFC West title.
Old 11-17-2012   #18
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

3 QB's went to the HOF in that class. Between Kelly and Elway alone they both went to 9 SB's.

THis comparison is stupid as hell. Luck and RG3 are the only potential guys that have HOF potential in this class at all.

This class is great because of two guys, but it isn't close to that class of 83.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, Todd B. got to Canton before any of those guys did. He was born there.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read