Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Sharpton Activated; Troy Nolan Released

Why does it always have to be Nolan!?!

and hurray for Sharpton! I'm sure he'll be trying to knock off rust in this game and the rest of the season, but hopefully he'll be back to what he was pre-injury sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Watch for the Lions to sign him, and cue the GP conspiracy theories.
Yep, Nolan will be eating turkey in Detroit.
animated-smileys-thanksgiving-21.gif

I'm kinda against this, since the game is tomorrow, and obviously they prepared for the game plan with Nolan.

But, at the same time, Sharpton needs to get that rust off. It would basically be a good opportunity for Sharpton without having too much of a challenge.

This guy has had a long 2 seasons of sitting on the bench, glad he's getting a chance to play again. Was a little worried he'd be dropped before he got healthy.

the gap in talent between demps and nolan is significant. seeing him cut again doesnt surprise me.. im just glad kubiak realized this and brought back the player that truly deserved to be on this team last season.. lets see if nolan gets picked up by detroit than released after thanksgiving..

Why Nolan and not Ruud? I like Nolan.

Maybe they like what they saw out of Ruud?

And the fact that prior to activating Sharpton, they had 5 safeties (including 3 designated as "SS"), and only 3 ILB's. Oh, and one of those ILB's (Dobbins) is questionable for tomorrow's game.

Plus, don't forget they already cut Nolan once, and it appeared at the time that the only reason (or at least the main reason) they brought him back was the injury to Demps (which is now healed enough for him to play).

I'm kinda against this, since the game is tomorrow, and obviously they prepared for the game plan with Nolan.

So you're at the practices? Since Sharpton has been working out with the team I'm pretty sure he's been in the mix somehow.

Nolan wasn't even active last week. Not sure what the love fest for him is about. Since it's the defensive side of the ball I'll assume this is Wade's call and I'll take his word on it.

So you're at the practices? Since Sharpton has been working out with the team I'm pretty sure he's been in the mix somehow.

Nolan wasn't even active last week. Not sure what the love fest for him is about. Since it's the defensive side of the ball I'll assume this is Wade's call and I'll take his word on it.

Well, no I'm not at the practices, it's just an assumption. Normally, when you have players on a team, you prepare with them, even if they don't play. I'd have to at least assume that Nolan was able to work out more, but I do know Sharpton has been working out with the team.

If you read the rest of my comment, you'll know I'm not really upset with it. Just weird that they did it so close to gameday, as opposed to using the last week on Sharpton's PUP. But, you said it best. Wade's call. In Wade we trust.

Yep.

I'm ready to see whats Al's kinfolk can do.

68259fl.gif

He was playing pretty good ball, before his injury.

I have never been impressed with Sharptons play .... Kinda wish they woulda left him inactive another week .... rather than cut Nolan.

How was that a conspiracy theory?

I predicted it would happen. It happened.

It's how the league works: Teams sign waived players to help prepare against that player's former team.

Duh.

The Lions released CB Alphonso Smith a couple of days ago. Gardner walks out. Smith walks in.......gets his ears cleaned out. After the Lions game, Smith walks out. Gardner drags his limp ass back in. Conspiracy covered up. Game in the win column. Game over.:chef:

How about another scenario.

During a "safe" game against the Jags, Sharpton is activated........then released so he does not have to be paid as an IR or released with an injury settlement..........then we see Nolan's name back on the roster.:kitten:

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
Sharpton: “I’m going to play my heart out tomorrow for my teammates, this organization & the city of Houston." #Texans

Darryl Sharpton: "Unexplainable feeling to be able to go out and play football again." #Texans

I have never been impressed with Sharptons play .... Kinda wish they woulda left him inactive another week .... rather than cut Nolan.

Nolan would have been on the inactive list tomorrow, don't see how waiting a week makes much of a difference.

How was that a conspiracy theory?

I predicted it would happen. It happened.

It's how the league works: Teams sign waived players to help prepare against that player's former team.

Duh.

It's a joke man.

I just remember how you were when it first happened, and make a light poke at it.

No need to get defensive about it....

Odds are Sharpton will be hurt again before he ever records a tackle. That guy is the most injury prone player on the team.

Truly one of the most talented TEs and nicest guys you'll ever meet........and he suffered a stroke just last December at age 32.

Yeah, I googled his name and read about the stroke awhile ago but didn't want to mention it.

Seems like he's fine now, isn't he?

If u remember last year when manning went out Nolan filled in nicely and did a very nice job, he also played really well the season before. What about his play has made you not want to keep him is the better question.

How about another scenario.

During a "safe" game against the Jags, Sharpton is activated........then released so he does not have to be paid as an IR or released with an injury settlement..........then we see Nolan's name back on the roster.:kitten:

I actually like this idea, and don't get where all the Sharpton love is coming from. He's undersized for the position, injury prone, and not that good. If activating him for one game and then cutting him saves us a roster spot and some money then do it.

I actually like this idea, and don't get where all the Sharpton love is coming from. He's undersized for the position, injury prone, and not that good. If activating him for one game and then cutting him saves us a roster spot and some money then do it.

He stole snaps from DeMeco last year, the coaches race about him when he actually plays/practices, and our ILB alternatives are underwhelming (Cushing and DeMeco aren't walking through that door). That is reason enough to be excited about the guy.

This is a pic of Sharpton either being carted off the field...........or carted onto practice............sorry, not sure which............:kitten:

130974459.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Sharpton has filled in for DeMeco at MLB a couple of seasons ago and was better than early-post-pregnancy Cushing at the position, so I struggle to see where the short memory comes from. I'm willing to bet that part of the reason they felt comfortable cutting Ryans was that they were expecting Sharpton to be healthy for pre-season.

The dude is injury prone, but at the same time we have Dobbins and Ruud in the mix there, Dobbins knows the system and is a nice fit to it, plays pretty well every time he gets snaps, and we all know that Ruud is a low risk pickup who will be very solid if he can recapture his form from a few years back.

Sharpton will take a little while to get up to speed I expect, but in a month or so I wouldn't be surprised if he's the starter.

Bradie James is obviously the #1 but I get the impression he has glaring weaknesses which we have to gameplan around, getting stronger around him will help us out there, and Sharpton has run the D in his time too so may just bump him down a spot.

Nolan was the backup that everybody loved when his play was limited, and has a big play in him, but his coverage skills maxed out at below-par, and the more snaps he got the worse he looked. Demps offers us more in what is a high snap count role at #3 S in this D and the coaches and players obviously don't see Keo as the problem on STs, and I believe still see him as a project at S too, of course one of Brandon Harris and Roc Carmichael aren't going to make the grade at CB given that we are fairly young, strong and tied up in contracts at the 2 starting positions and fairly strong at slot too, although McCain is hitting FA, so maybe one of them gets moved to S in the offseason?

I think there is the old short or selected memory happening to an extent, Nolan was not an option at S, while Sharpton is potentially an option at LB, I don't think we lose anything, but we chance our arm at gaining a lot.

Last edited:
Back