Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-12-2012   #21
RCPM
DILLIGAF

Rep Power: 0 RCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Oilers would have lost this game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Obviously the owner of Texans Talk cares.

yep. I imagine that every old Oilers fan has that 'feeling' deeply ingrained into their football DNA. You have that little voice in your head reminding you of the so-called "other shoe" and it's inevitable drop.

That will probably be with us until the Texans go to the Super Bowl. That's the only cure for "chokaphobia", as far as I know.

SMH.... really who cares, F the oilers! They have NOTHING to do with the TEXANS...NOTHING!!!!
RCPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #22
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPM View Post
SMH.... really who cares, F the oilers! They have NOTHING to do with the TEXANS...NOTHING!!!!
Let's see the Oilers played in Houston (that's where the Texans play btw) and a good majority of the Texans fan base (over 30 something) grew up Oilers fans. I guess other than those 2 minor things there is no connection.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #23
RCPM
DILLIGAF

Rep Power: 0 RCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respectedRCPM is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Let's see the Oilers played in Houston (that's where the Texans play btw) and a good majority of the Texans fan base (over 30 something) grew up Oilers fans. I guess other than those 2 minor things there is no connection.
I still don't get it. By your logic, the Texans are also connected to the Astros, Rockets, Cougs, and Owls.

The only connection is the connection you make. But in reality, there is no connection. JMHO
Old 11-12-2012   #24
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I still don't get it. By your logic, the Texans are also connected to the Astros, Rockets, Cougs, and Owls.

The only connection is the connection you make. But in reality, there is no connection. JMHO

Obviously you don't get it. Not all of us are 10 years old and grew up with the Texans as our NFL TEAM.

The Astros, Rockets, Cougs, Owls, etc probably would not have lost this game either however for very different reasons. They are not and don't play NFL teams.
Old 11-12-2012   #25
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless a person was there, or watching live on TV, those two AFC championship losses to the Steelers will burn to the grave. We were almost there, in the promised land. For those that were NOT there, they don't know. They'll never understand so it's no use aruging with them. They don't have what we are talking about.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #26
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34563 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

If I'm not mistaken, the Warren Moon led Jack Pardee Oilers beat Chicago in Chicago in 1992..

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #27
RCPM
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Obviously you don't get it. Not all of us are 10 years old and grew up with the Texans as our NFL TEAM.

The Astros, Rockets, Cougs, Owls, etc probably would not have lost this game either however for very different reasons. They are not and don't play NFL teams.
you lob insults like you are 10 years old.
Sponsored links
Old 11-12-2012   #28
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Quote:
you lob insults like you are 10 years old.
Please quote what part was insulting to you here. Also you are encouraged to report that to the mods since personal insults are not allowed here.
Old 11-12-2012   #29
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Obviously the owner of Texans Talk cares.

yep. I imagine that every old Oilers fan has that 'feeling' deeply ingrained into their football DNA. You have that little voice in your head reminding you of the so-called "other shoe" and it's inevitable drop.

That will probably be with us until the Texans go to the Super Bowl. That's the only cure for "chokaphobia", as far as I know.
Well said DB. Excellent response. Nailed exactly the way I catch myself feeling at times. It's tough to forget some of the ways the old Oiler's could find a way to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory.

Go Texans!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #30
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the Warren Moon led Jack Pardee Oilers beat Chicago in Chicago in 1992..

TJ
The Oilers beat the Bears 24-7 in Houston in 1992. That Oilers team was 7-5 prior to the kickoff of that game and finished the season at 10-6. That Bears team was 4-8 prior to the kickoff of that game and finished the season 5-11. So that game isn't remotely comparable to yesterday's game.

Yesterday's game was far more comparable to the previously mentioned game between the Redskins and the Oilers in 1991. The Redskins came into that game with an 8-0 record. The Oilers came into that game with a 7-1 record. The Oilers should have won that game with a 33 yard chip shot field goal near the final gun. Instead, they choked.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #31
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
The Oilers beat the Bears 24-7 in Houston in 1992. That Oilers team was 7-5 prior to the kickoff of that game and finished the season at 10-6. That Bears team was 4-8 prior to the kickoff of that game and finished the season 5-11. So that game isn't remotely comparable to yesterday's game.

Yesterday's game was far more comparable to the previously mentioned game between the Redskins and the Oilers in 1991. The Redskins came into that game with an 8-0 record. The Oilers came into that game with a 7-1 record. The Oilers should have won that game with a 33 yard chip shot field goal near the final gun. Instead, they choked.
I still remember the 1988 game against the Bears. That was Glanville's team and they won up there in Chicago. I remember the Bears were supposed to be good that year but don't remember if they really were.
Old 11-12-2012   #32
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I still remember the 1988 game against the Bears. That was Glanville's team and they won up there in Chicago. I remember the Bears were supposed to be good that year but don't remember if they really were.
That was '89 and I remember being impressed at the time (mainly because the Bears were a 4-1 teams at the kickoff of that game) but the Bears finished that season 6-10. That Glanville team finished 9-7 and backed into the playoffs after losing its final two games.
Old 11-12-2012   #33
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Please quote what part was insulting to you here. Also you are encouraged to report that to the mods since personal insults are not allowed here.
Oh you are funny.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #34
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

OK you don't get it but most do who lived thru it. I was not a huge Oiler fan myself but I know how they feel. I know the heartache they have gone through and I hated what Bud did to Houston when he yanked the team away cause he is a greedy scum sucking worthless pile of sloth turd. The connection is the teams they lived and died (a little) with on every single win and loss. It is called being a diehard fan.
Old 11-12-2012   #35
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Unless a person was there, or watching live on TV, those two AFC championship losses to the Steelers will burn to the grave. We were almost there, in the promised land. For those that were NOT there, they don't know. They'll never understand so it's no use aruging with them. They don't have what we are talking about.
DB and I had a conversation the other day about how experiences build expectations. He was explaining the air of always waiting for the other shoe to drop and how you could sit in the stadium in Houston and hear people muttering "how are they going to figure out how to lose this one." I was explaining how that mystified me when I started going to games here (although the only Oilers game I ever attended was the KC playoff loss against Montana). Coming from the halcyon days of Dallas with Roger "Captain Comeback" Staubach through playoff clutch Aikman I grew up thinking every game was winnable even when down by 20 pts.
Old 11-12-2012   #36
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
And, in the bigger scheme, the owner matters.
It absolutely does.

Bud Adams, I believe, is the perfect example of the kind of owner who is disruptive to his own team's ability to win and a deterrent to his own team's desire to win simply by being who he is: incredibly petty and always aiming to win the small bitter victories (mostly off the field) rather than keeping an eye on the greater glory.

Bob McNair is that anti-Bud. He is precisely the kind of owner this city yearned for during all those years of frustration. We're very lucky to have him.

I can't help but feel sorry for the fans in Tennessee.
Old 11-12-2012   #37
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 61122 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know. The run & shoot team might have lost it, but the Luv Ya Blue squad might not have. You just never know.

The Texans might bring this town a Lombardi trophy or more some day, but there's going to be a whole ton of heartbreaking losses in between. Games they shoulda, coulda won but didn't. It's hard to win in this league. The Patriots went 16-0, the Packers went 15-1, and both finished their seasons disappointed.

For me, the Oilers died on January 3, 1993. Lived and died with them 'til then. Earl Campbell is still the greatest RB I've ever seen play. I'll always have those memories, but they're long gone now and the franchise they are is one of the franchises I despise the most in all of sports. The only thing I want for that franchise is for their owner to live - long enough to see the Texans win the Super Bowl.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #38
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 29696 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Oilers, in their good years, didn't have any problem winning during the REGULAR season. Let's reexamine this thread come playoff time.
Old 11-13-2012   #39
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

The Oilers and Texans may be 2 completely different franchises but they both played in the NFL in the city of Houston. The Oilers history may be retained by the Titans but the memories don't go with them. They stay in Houston. Some of us would love to remove 35-3 from our brains. Ask a Titans fan about that and (if they even know what it is) would say that was Houston, not Tennesee. For most Houston NFL fans that are over 30, they were Oilers fans first. Our memories are the connection between the 2 teams.
Old 11-13-2012   #40
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Was just talking about that game with a buddy of mine last night.

That Oilers loss/choke was directly attributable to Bud Adams' influence on that team.

The only reason the Oilers didn't have a real NFL kicker that season was due to an infuriating tendency to cut corners. The Oilers figured any kicker was as good as another.
Tony Zendejas was cut for Howfield and went on to make 100% of his FG attempts (for the Rams) the year Howfield missed that huge, huge, kick vs the Redskins (91). Howfield missed five kicks in his rookie season, was cut after the Redskin game and he never played again.

http://youtu.be/9Kdip2x48r8

Quote:

When you grow up and become a big boy you will see that the connection (ps. those teams you listed aren't NFL teams - hopefully that helps).

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read