Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-07-2012   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A football life:Jimmy Johnson

Coming on in a few minutes on nlf network

I hated the cowboys,but respect the guy. Will be interesting if it talks about John roper and Jimmy cut him after he was sleeping during meetings and among other things
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A football life:Jimmy Johnson

It is on .started about him on survivor lol
Old 11-07-2012   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Hoe did I not know he was a port arthur guy
Old 11-07-2012   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Haha pork face Satan tshirts
Old 11-07-2012   #5
Wolf
100% Texan

Interesting conversation with him and belichick about getting players
Old 11-07-2012   #6
Wolf
100% Texan

Yep talked about roper
Old 11-07-2012   #7
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 56302 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

I want the dirt on JJ and Jerry's relationship. Keep up the play by play for us.

Thanks, Wolf
Old 11-07-2012   #8
Wolf
100% Texan

I didn't know the connection with Barry Switzer. I knew about jj and jj
Old 11-07-2012   #9
Wolf
100% Texan

"fatigue makes cowards of us all"
Old 11-07-2012   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Yep jimmy made that team. Jerry ego is showing (well both)
Old 11-08-2012   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Yep jimmy made that team. Jerry ego is showing (well both)
Much to the happiness of Houston in general, Johnson would have had that team a true dynasty but for Jones. They would have been four straight and who knows what else without the coaching changes.
Old 11-08-2012   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I love this series (A Football Life), and the one about Jimmy Johnson was no different.

I had no idea that Jimmy and Jerry played in Arkansas together, and that Barry Switzer was a coach for that team. Now it all makes sense!

If Jerry wasn't such an asshat, he'd have at least 1-2 more rings, IMO. Jimmy wasn't done, but Jerry's ego undermined everything and continues to do so today.

Like was mentioned by Belichick (iirc), someone experiencing championships at three levels - player, college coach, pro coach - is amazing and quite an achievement. Very cool to see a full picture of Jimmy, and loved the Survivor story.
Old 11-08-2012   #13
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 49241 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

I really enjoy Football Life. The Jimmy Johnson story was no different and brought back lots of memories. That was a long time ago, but seeminly I recall that Switzer and Johnson weren't on friendly terms, and Jerry possibly hired him as a replacement out of spite.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012   #14
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I love this series (A Football Life), and the one about Jimmy Johnson was no different.

I had no idea that Jimmy and Jerry played in Arkansas together, and that Barry Switzer was a coach for that team. Now it all makes sense!

If Jerry wasn't such an asshat, he'd have at least 1-2 more rings, IMO. Jimmy wasn't done, but Jerry's ego undermined everything and continues to do so today.

Like was mentioned by Belichick (iirc), someone experiencing championships at three levels - player, college coach, pro coach - is amazing and quite an achievement. Very cool to see a full picture of Jimmy, and loved the Survivor story.
The day Jimmy Johnson said he was leaving was the day I stopped being a Cowboys fan....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012   #15
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
“I came into the NFL as the owner and general manager of this team, and one of the first decisions I made in the role of GM was to hire Jimmy as head coach,” Jones said.
“During Jimmy’s tenure, the authority to hire the players was with the GM...In our unique circumstances, where the owner and the GM were the same person, in the case of a disagreement — which we never had — the owner had the ultimate authority.”

Quote:
...Johnson said [that] was “completely a bunch of crock” that Jones ran the football operation. “Jerry started putting all those titles on himself after I left. He didn’t call himself general manager and president and all that stuff when I was there. He was just the owner. Because it was in my contract that I had total responsibility for all football decisions. It was in my contract, and he didn’t allow anybody to have that in their contract after I left.”
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012   #16
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw the one about Chris Spielman .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read