Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-06-2005   #1
PeekFan24
Rookie

Default What's the opinion on Peek starting?

Personally, I'm really excited as I think he has the potential to be a pro bowl player at his position. He reminds me of Joey Porter a lot, and that is definitely a good thing. So how do you feel about it???
PeekFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005   #2
Dubble Trubble
Rookie

I'd like to see him try the full-time position this year. Aside, from the small handful of penalties....I thought he had alot of upside last year. Conditioning and knowing the defense should his focus in training camp. So, hopefully, by the begining of the season...we can just turn him loose.

Now, the New Era begins.
Dubble Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005   #3
PeekFan24
Rookie

I'm just glad to finally see him getting the opportunity. They played Clemons, Wong and Posey over him respectively. I see this guy being a major force if he can stay healthy and keep away from the penalties. Now, if we can just get some quality depth behind the starters...
Old 06-06-2005   #4
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

well techniquelly they didn't play posey over him because peek wasn't part of the team that year...but i am excited to see him in the starting line up...i think that these two guys will be a good part of our defense for years to come

i think peek will add to the intensity level of this defense and we'll see more sacks this year
Old 06-06-2005   #5
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 7477 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

One of the things I'm most excited about this year is the defensive front. Babin and Peek showed alot of promise last season and I'm thoroughly excited to see how well they will improve. The Travis Johnson pick was hopefully the right one. With the added youth and competetion amongst those guys it should make for one intense preseason.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005   #6
PeekFan24
Rookie

Yeah, the guy is definitely a playmaker. Now he just needs to learn the scheme and become consistent with his tackling.
Old 06-06-2005   #7
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Instant Defense....

Peek plays with the necessary passion and tenacity this defense needs. His emotion not only stirs up the fans, but gets his teammates motivated. Anytime Peek, Babin, Robinson, and SMith were on the field at the same time, the defense went to another level! They all are play makers. Yes, mistakes are made at times, but most playmakers gamble, hence creating opportunities. If he starts, at least a top 12 defense, he doesn't, another year wasted of potential. Uh, what did Posey do last year? Can't let another one get away! More Peek.......all the time!
Old 06-06-2005   #8
grandslam1
Veteran

I say let him start this season
grandslam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005   #9
PeekFan24
Rookie

I think it's funny to see all these "Sign Peter Boulware as a starter" posts. The guy is 31 and coming off a bad injury...and people want him starting over a young, explosive talent like Peek? Makes me chuckle...
Old 06-06-2005   #10
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

so how bad is the Peek injury?
Texas_Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005   #11
Vambo, the Marble Eye
Veteran

This is a team sport. The possibility of Peek playing more or even starting is another reason to stop talking about picking anybody up (Boulware) and develop our existing personnel. This is why Sharper and Forman are no longer here at the linebacker postions. We didn't deal these guys off at that time because we intended to their replacements in the reject pile in June... I assume we did it because we knew we had talent that could be developed inside the organization, got a decent draft position or already picked up what we needed from Miami.

It is PEEK's turn... I looking forward to shouting his last name out during the intro at the game!
Old 06-06-2005   #12
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeekFan24
Personally, I'm really excited as I think he has the potential to be a pro bowl player at his position. He reminds me of Joey Porter a lot, and that is definitely a good thing. So how do you feel about it???

I'm very excited about APeek potential this year. At his best he reminds me of Charles Haley. I'm hopeful that he has committed to the coaching enough to play disciplined ball this year. I feel like he has the skills and intensity to make that big of an impact.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005   #13
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
If I am going to run the ball, then I'm going to run it at Peek all day. He will surprise me if he holds up against the run this year. Also, cut out the stupid penalties. There is nothing I hate more than stupid penalties!!!! :brickwall

Don't get me wrong, I hope Peek does well, but he's got a little proving to do.
Old 06-06-2005   #14
SESupergenius

I look forward to watching the guy grow as a player. He is right on schedule to make an impact...or be a backup. I think he has one of the highest motors on the team and do some damage if he can know his position well and stay healthy. It's all on him now, he's been givent he reigns.
Old 06-06-2005   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

My opinion on Peek starting is that it's the best alternative the Texans have at the moment. After jettisoning Sharper & Foreman, the Texans need Wong's veteran leadership inside. That leaves Peek as the man at ROLB. I won't lie, I'm concerned about Peek in a few areas.

Antwan has to be able to play the run much, much better than in his 1st 2 seasons. Whether it was technique, execution, or physical limitations, Peek has not held up against the run in the past. That has to change. Also, Peek has to show more poise. There's nothing wrong with playing with intensity. But when Antwan crosses the line and draws personal fouls, that's intolerable. And Peek has to be able to stay relatively healthy if he's to be counted on as a starter. Knee, foot, ankle, shoulder. Peek has missed 8 games in 2 years in a reserve role. Considering that Antwan will get more snaps as a starter, it's imperative that he must become more durable.

Having said that, Peek is a plus athlete who can make plays when given the opportunity. The physical ability to get to the QB is there. That can't be taught. All of the questions I listed can be answered by Peek if he's committed to the game. He's in the last year of his contract, this is his time to make it happen. Both Peek & the team have a lot riding on his ability to come through and become that everydown weakside pass rusher. Let's see what happens.
Old 06-06-2005   #16
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
I think it's funny to see all these "Sign Peter Boulware as a starter" posts. The guy is 31 and coming off a bad injury...and people want him starting over a young, explosive talent like Peek? Makes me chuckle...
Even though Peek has had limited playing time, the fact remains that he is an unproven commodity with only 3 sacks in 24 games over his 2 year career. He has also missed eight games in his two year career (an average of 4 each year) because of three different injuries and a suspension, showing that he probably can't be counted on to last a full season playing full time. If he has been so injury prone with limited playing time, how long will he last as a starter?

Peter Boulware is a proven player with 67.5 sacks in 111 games. He has missed 17 games over an 8 year career (an average of two a year) because of one injury. Before that broken leg in the 15th game of his 7th year he had never missed a game. He still needs to show that he has recovered from his injury, but he has established himself as one of the best pass rushers in the league and someone who is not injury prone.

Peek has a lot of potential and I think he can be a good pass rusher for the Texans, but if they are able to get Peter Boulware then they should. After three years, the Texans still haven't had a linebacker with double digit sacks in a system that is tailor-made for that to happen. They can't afford to have another season without a strong pass rush from the ROLB spot, and Peek hasn't proven he can be depended on for a full year. The depth behind Peek is even less proven.

This last offseason, the Astros essentially made a similar decision in giving Jason Lane a starting job and letting Jeff Kent leave. Lane was a youngster with potential while Kent was an established veteran. We all know how that decision has worked out.

Bring in Boulware if he is healthy and let him compete with Peek for the job.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005   #17
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

i'm glad to see him finally get a chance to show what he can do as a full time starter. Every time he was in last year it seemed he was making big plays. I think the coaching staff made the right choice.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005   #18
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

I guess I took too long looking up stuff.

Lucky said pretty much the same thing 13 minutes before me.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange
I guess I took too long looking up stuff.

Lucky said pretty much the same thing 13 minutes before me.
Tortoise & the Hare, dude. You made some good points regarding Boulware. But what we don't know is, does Boulware really want to be in Houston? You know the Texans are shedding the expansion label. I know that, as well. But do established vets like Boulware realize that? I think this team has to make its presence felt this season if they're to win over vet FAs without overpaying.
Old 06-06-2005   #20
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

This is what I've been waiting for. I complained during the entire 2004 season because he wasn't on the field enough. I've thought our front 7 just weren't aggressive enough - so Peek was the great hope for me. Can't wait for the season to start - in large part to see what happens with these linebacker changes.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read