Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-07-2012   #41
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Shaun Cody -- Injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Sure does:

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...unctured-lung/

I had a bad sternum bruise and a broken rib once and I can't imagine doing anything like playing football like that, I couldn't even laugh without pain, even with pain meds.
I don't read that blog. How credible is it as a source? I haven't seen any other confirmation by the team or player. Although, it would be normal for there to be no news from the team at this point.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #42
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I don't read that blog. How credible is it as a source? I haven't seen any other confirmation by the team or player. Although, it would be normal for there to be no news from the team at this point.
Tania Ganguli's an NFL beat-writer for a major newspaper. Blog or no blog, she's not gonna go with it unless she's very comfortable with the source, has more than one source, or both. And yes, I think in todays NFL, it is very normal for there to be no news from the team at this point.
Old 11-07-2012   #43
SouthSideTexan
HATER!!!!!

Section: 319 Row L
Rep Power: 400 SouthSideTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSouthSideTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSouthSideTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSouthSideTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSouthSideTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSouthSideTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSouthSideTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSouthSideTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSouthSideTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSouthSideTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSouthSideTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...punctured-lung

NFL is reporting a broken rib and a punctured lung.
Old 11-07-2012   #44
jtexas
Veteran

Rep Power: 967 jtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
I think my source is pretty solid. I am surprised a report hasn't come out yet but I feel pretty good one will soon... then again... we all know how the Texans are regarding injuries.
You win. Nice call.
jtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #45
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 87002 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Nitro (msr),
Your info was quite evidently correct........and the initially "missed diagnosis" scenario as I described seems unfortunately to have been the case. They better be smart with his injury.........the "collapsed lung" part of it moreso than the broken ribs.
So can he really be in a day-to-day injury status with a punctured lung??? Sounds pretty serious.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012   #46
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
So can he really be in a day-to-day injury status with a punctured lung??? Sounds pretty serious.
I realize there are varying degrees of everything, and I will certainly defer to Cn'D on anything he may say, but I found this from last season...
Quote:
Tony Romo’s late-game heroics in San Francisco Sunday came while he was playing in serious pain.

Romo reportedly suffered both a fractured rib and a punctured lung against the 49ers.

Although Romo left the game for most of the third quarter, he returned and played brilliantly in the fourth quarter and overtime as the Cowboys went from down 24-14 to winning 27-24.
LINK

I'll also throw in that Romo started one week later vs. the Redskins, and didn't miss a start all season. On the other hand, he only had one broken rib, and I haven't seen any report on Cody that didn't refer to broken ribs in the plural. And I realize there's also a difference between playing D-Line and QB.
Old 11-07-2012   #47
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I trust Nitro's sources ....
Badda bing, Nitro comes through as expected.

Here's hoping Cody recovers well.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-07-2012   #48
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

I did not want to be right.

Just an FYI, I am N-O-T Ganguli's source... so this means we have two separate sources reporting the same thing.
Old 11-07-2012   #49
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideTexan View Post
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...punctured-lung

NFL is reporting a broken rib and a punctured lung.
Three broken ribs. It doesn't say that in there but it's three.
Old 11-07-2012   #50
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14067 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Well fortunately (I guess) We did just sign that third rounder from a few years ago that the Panthers let go
Old 11-08-2012   #51
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 201352 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I realize there are varying degrees of everything, and I will certainly defer to Cn'D on anything he may say, but I found this from last season...

LINK

I'll also throw in that Romo started one week later vs. the Redskins, and didn't miss a start all season. On the other hand, he only had one broken rib, and I haven't seen any report on Cody that didn't refer to broken ribs in the plural. And I realize there's also a difference between playing D-Line and QB.
Romo was put in 1 week following his "punctured lung." Per one of my inside sources immediately following his injury, it was revealed that he sustained a minimal pneumothorax which sealed off quickly with total reinflation within the week, this fits within the 1-2 week period in my previous post...........the 1 week minimal time out still probably not being the wisest route for a football player, but we all know that with football players, the wisest route is not all that common.

Even taking into account that Cody had ONLY sustained three fractured ribs, let's look at this situation with a little additional analytic eye. Romo is a QB.........and Cody is a DT. How often is Romo expected to be hit in the chest.......5, maybe 10 times during the game? A DT on the other hand makes his living exposing himself as a human piniata, being pushed, punched and/or piled on every single play he plays in the game. With rib fractures, it doesn't matter if you are hit from the front, the side or the back........it moves the fracture site. With single fractures, there is less likelihood of significant movement of the fracture segments as opposed to multiple fractures. Multiple rib fractures typically result in a more unstable and vulnerable chest superstructure. And the more movement of the fracture segments secondary to outer forces applied to the chest, the more likely the sharp edges of the fractured bone is to repuncture and thus recollapse the lung........usually to a subtotal to total extent which could result in an immediate life-threatening scenario.

Here is a CT scan that demonstrates a single fractured sharp edge (yellow arrow). To help orient you to what you are looking at, this is a "cut"/view that simulates the magician cutting a body in two and looking at one half from the side. On the apparent left, the mottled large area taking up most of the left side is a normal fully inflated lung. On the apparent right, the mottled area is small and collapsed (its outer border identified by the red arrows)

For those of you that are saying to yourselves, a flak jacket will protect Cody from further injury. Flak jackets work by widely distributing the force of trauma instead of allowing it to concentrate it on the fracture sites. But flak jackets do not guarantee complete protection from reinjury. And repeated impact to the chest during a game, flak jacket or not, does nothing to help the healing process and thereby can only serve to empirically impede it.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012   #52
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm saying it now, sit him, and sit him until he's healthy. Can't be losing this guy for the playoffs.

If it is only a case of giving him one week off, a non-conference road game is not a bad game to choose either.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012   #53
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
I'm saying it now, sit him, and sit him until he's healthy. Can't be losing this guy for the playoffs.

If it is only a case of giving him one week off, a non-conference road game is not a bad game to choose either.
This heea^^
Old 11-08-2012   #54
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Is this rehab and ready for playoffs, or are we talking IR here ?
Old 11-08-2012   #55
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post

That's what I'd do. Try to get away with sitting him a few weeks or as long as it takes for him to get healthy. You want the ribs better, you want the lung healed up, and it wouldn't hurt to give that bad back a rest before starting the run to the playoffs. We'll need him then so rest him now. The guy is an 8 year veteran, he can stay in decent shape without taking a beating and will be able to get back to playing speed/shape in a short amount of time when he's healed up.
Old 11-08-2012   #56
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Is this rehab and ready for playoffs, or are we talking IR here ?
We'll never know! You know how vague the Texans are! If you were to ask my opinion which is BASELESS and UNFOUNDED. Just going on what we know about Shaun Cody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
He missed one play and went right back in .... Tough SOB.
I'm gonna say he'll be back in a couple weeks. Guy's a warrior.
Old 11-08-2012   #57
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't Tony Romo break a rib and puncture his lung last season?

Tough news for the Texans, Cody is a warrior. I would think it would be a longer rehab for a lineman to get back in the game.

Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery. And good drugs while healing.
Old 11-08-2012   #58
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Didn't Tony Romo break a rib and puncture his lung last season?

Tough news for the Texans, Cody is a warrior. I would think it would be a longer rehab for a lineman to get back in the game.

Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery. And good drugs while healing.
See post #46 in this thread.

Edit: Might be worth looking at #51 also.
Old 11-08-2012   #59
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

It's really a shame that we lost Ra'Shon Harris for the year. He could have filled in for Cody a bit. Any one have an idea who will be starting at NT this week?
Old 11-08-2012   #60
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
It's really a shame that we lost Ra'Shon Harris for the year. He could have filled in for Cody a bit. Any one have an idea who will be starting at NT this week?
I don't know but my "idea" would be Mitchell. Who else comes to mind?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read