Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-05-2012   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Battle of Super Bowl hopefuls set for 'Sunday Night Football'

By Dan Pompei, Chicago Tribune reporter

7:04 p.m. CST, November 4, 2012
Quick look: Finally, the Bears get a true test against a Super Bowl contender.

The Texans might be the best team in the AFC. They would like to prove they can beat one of the elite teams from the NFC after losing to the Packers earlier this season.

The Texans are a little like the Bears in that they win with an overpowering defense led by a strong front. Their defense would be even better if the Texans hadn't lost inside linebacker Brian Cushing for the season.

Offensively, the Texans are keyed by running back Arian Foster, who is one of the best runners in the league, and an effective offensive line. The Texans came into Week 9 leading the league in time of possession.

The Texans have committed only six turnovers, so it will be a challenge for the Bears to come up with takeaways against this team.

Key stat: The Texans have not allowed a rushing touchdown all season. The Bears have allowed only two.

Key matchup: Texans defensive end J.J. Watt versus Bears right tackle Gabe Carimi. These two know each other well from their days at Wisconsin. The Bears will have to give Carimi help on passing downs, as Watt has been impossible to block this season. On run downs, this will be a good matchup of two power players.

Dan Pompei's early pick: Bears 17, Texans 16.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012   #2
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 6268 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Battle of Super Bowl hopefuls set for 'Sunday Night Football'

I can not wait for this game. Should be a good one. I think we win if we dont give up any ST touchdowns (or crazy field position).
Old 11-05-2012   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

If we play as we did against Bills, I see a loss on horizon.
Old 11-05-2012   #4
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Potential game of the year and possible Super Bowl preview. Cannot frickin wait!!
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Packers or 49ers are probably likelier to be in the Super Bowl, but the Bears are a great team and should really give us some insight into what the 2012 Texans are all about.

Remember the Packers game! should be this week's mantra. Fortunately, Cutler is nothing even close to Rodgers.
Old 11-05-2012   #6
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
But what if we play as well as we did against the Ravens??

Edit:
You know, I REEEEEEEALLY wish they played us AFTER they played the Niners.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012   #7
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
But what if we play as well as we did against the Ravens??
Or they play like the did against the Panthers?
Old 11-05-2012   #8
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I beg to differ.. I think that if we duplicate what we did against the bills, OUR 3 touchdowns will trump the Bears 3 field goals.

Old 11-05-2012   #9
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

This game falls to Schaub imo. While the Chi defense can be ran on, their D is living off of interceptions this year and our running game isnt exactly on fire so far this season. Schaub must play a clean game for us to have a chance.

Conversely we will look to shut down the run again this week. Essentially bringing this game down to Schaub vs Cutler. So who has a better game? If I am Kubiak I target AJ all night long.
Old 11-05-2012   #10
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

All I know is that Sunday night I'm gonna need FRIENDS to watch this game with, a designated driver, a bottle of Jack, and a liter of coke! I am presently preping my stomach for the onslaught of booze and nerves with BID doses of previcid! I'm truly NOT a heavy drinker, but, I feel a buzz comin on to get me through that game!!

Truthfully, I think our boys can do this! Just gotta keep on BELIEVING!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012   #11
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
All I know is that Sunday night I'm gonna need FRIENDS to watch this game with, a designated driver, a bottle of Jack, and a liter of coke! I am presently preping my stomach for the onslaught of booze and nerves with BID doses of previcid! I'm truly NOT a heavy drinker, but, I feel a buzz comin on to get me through that game!!

Sandy, come over to our house. You can see the new (but not finished) kitchen. Shadow and/or and dd is also welcome of course.

Edit: and as far as the game goes, pressure, pressure and then more pressure on Cutler.
Old 11-05-2012   #12
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post

Yeah.....that show got canceled back in 2004. Hate to be the bearer of bad news.

J/K
Old 11-05-2012   #13
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Bears concern the hell out of me. With Cutler, he has his good days and horrible days. When he's bad, he's REALLY bad. Part of me hopes that's the guy that shows up Sunday. The other part of me would like to see us beat them at their best. But, you get no moral victories for losing to someone who was at their best either. At the end of the day, you just want the W. This will be the biggest test we've had since Green Bay and we all know how that one turned out. I think we'll be a lot more mentally prepared for this game and do our best to avoid the same type of embarassing performance we displayed on our last outing of SNF.

Their D has been playing really good and our offense can't afford to come out flat and have brain farts. We've got play a clean game in all three phases.

I see this game going either way, but I think the score will come down to a 3 points difference. Hopefully we'll come out on top.
Old 11-05-2012   #14
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

All in all, I think the Texans have played a tougher schedule, believe it or not.

Bears have faced only two teams that are currently above .500, beating the Colts, and losing to the Packers.
They also beat the 4-4 Lions. They have beaten 5 teams with a losing record.

Texans have faced three teams that are currently above .500, beating the Broncos and Ravens, and losing to the Packers.
They also beat the 4-4 Dolphins. They have beaten 4 teams with a losing record.

Other than GB, they both beat their other common opponents, Jags and Titans.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012   #15
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

its a pickem to 1.5 point fav for the bears hopefully the Texans show up and move to 8-1
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012   #16
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Sandy, come over to our house. You can see the new (but not finished) kitchen. Shadow and/or and dd is also welcome of course.

Edit: and as far as the game goes, pressure, pressure and then more pressure on Cutler.
I'll let ya know! If the game gets really bad we can decorate your new kitchen! We can always blame Ted!!

I totally agree that pressuring Cutler will be the key!! TURNOVERS just might be the deciding factor in this game. We have the D to do it! Just hope our Oline is good enough to protect Matt.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012   #17
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Some quick stats...

Offensive PPG
Chi 29.5
HOU 29.6

Defensive PPG
Chi 15
HOU 17.1

This one is as close as it gets on paper. Here's to hoping the Texans can move the ball on that stout Defense. The bears are a turnover machine, hopefully we can keep our ball control going. Anyone know when Tate is due back? Forsett has been forgettable at best.
Old 11-05-2012   #18
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
Some quick stats...

Offensive PPG
Chi 29.5
HOU 29.6

Defensive PPG
Chi 15
HOU 17.1

This one is as close as it gets on paper. Here's to hoping the Texans can move the ball on that stout Defense. The bears are a turnover machine, hopefully we can keep our ball control going. Anyone know when Tate is due back? Forsett has been forgettable at best.
From what Kubiak said on his show on 610 today, they will evaluate him later this week and hope that he is able to go. My feeling is that he won't be active on Sunday.

As for the game. This has potential to be the game of the season and if Indy wins on Sunday and we lose, all of a sudden we have a division race. It's going to be tough up in Chicago, but if we play mistake free football we'll come out as victors.
Old 11-05-2012   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
This game falls to Schaub imo. While the Chi defense can be ran on, their D is living off of interceptions this year and our running game isnt exactly on fire so far this season. Schaub must play a clean game for us to have a chance.

Conversely we will look to shut down the run again this week. Essentially bringing this game down to Schaub vs Cutler. So who has a better game? If I am Kubiak I target AJ all night long.
Totally disagree. This game depends on our front 5. We have to be able to impose our will, where they have to commit an 8 & 9th man to stopping the run. Same thing on defense, we have to stop the run with our front 7, & if Cody doesn't play, I think we'll be in trouble.

Their offense is much like ours, in that it's balanced with the ability to make big plays in the running game, the passing game, & the screen game.

So this game will be decided by what happens in the trenches & who blinks first.
Old 11-05-2012   #20
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Totally disagree. This game depends on our front 5. We have to be able to impose our will, where they have to commit an 8 & 9th man to stopping the run. Same thing on defense, we have to stop the run with our front 7, & if Cody doesn't play, I think we'll be in trouble.

Their offense is much like ours, in that it's balanced with the ability to make big plays in the running game, the passing game, & the screen game.

So this game will be decided by what happens in the trenches & who blinks first.
I was implying both teams will struggle running the ball.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read