Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-12-2005   #61
bingbing
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
Those guys all had to take some funky routes to get to the Superbowl. Trent Green has a severe injury or Warner would have been stuck behind him. Delhomme had sign with another organization and then wait for Rodney Peete to suck. Brad Johnson had every Qb in the world play before him in Minnesota and then went to Tampa Bay.

Basically, dominating the world league is like a pitcher in baseball dominating AAA, it is a good sign, but by no means a signal that he is a good Qb. Ron Powlus played very well in world league, so did the aforementioned Rohan Davey. I am sure the list is much longer of guys who played really well in NFLe than were never heard from than the huge success stories.
I wasn't saying he was gonna win a Super Bowl, but it is a fact that he has had a better season than all of the stars that have come out of NFLE.

Injuries happen, and Carr is not exactly the best protected QB in the league with that O-Line, so you never know, Ragone may get his chance to play some time this season and if he plays well then the Texans will really be able to make a trade and get a high pick, or they can hold on to him and have confidence in their depth at the most important position.
bingbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005   #62
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbing
I wasn't saying he was gonna win a Super Bowl, but it is a fact that he has had a better season than all of the stars that have come out of NFLE.

Injuries happen, and Carr is not exactly the best protected QB in the league with that O-Line, so you never know, Ragone may get his chance to play some time this season and if he plays well then the Texans will really be able to make a trade and get a high pick, or they can hold on to him and have confidence in their depth at the most important position.
Id rather us be bad if Carr gets hurt for more than 3 games. Means a higher and better chance in 06!
TexansNeedRBin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005   #63
Beaverhunter
Rookie

Default Open up battle between Carr and Ragone

Carr hasn't shown he is the man for sure and Ragone has lots of heart let them battle it out in camp and may the best man win. Everybody else is tradeable or can be released what we need to let these guys know is nothing is for sure either play like a winner or get down the road and that should mean everybody no sacred cows. :brickwall
Beaverhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005   #64
hellojohnnyboi
Rookie

Default preston parsons????

Honestly this is what i think the Texans quaterback situation will look like...

Opening Day
David Carr
Dave Ragone
BJ Symons
Preston Parsons

What I think will happen is....get rid of Tony Banks(trade, waive)...I think that of course will give Dave Ragon the green light to back up Carr full time...BJ Symons will bump up on to the active roster mainly because he is a Texas hero(went to the same Jr. High that I just graduated from...im in 9th grade) and i think Preston Parsons will move onto the PS or the Texans will find an excuse to put him on the IR.

Tell me what y'all think of this?
hellojohnnyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #65
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellojohnnyboi
What I think will happen is....get rid of Tony Banks(trade, waive)...
They may not be infallible, but folks need to read the tea leaves. The Texans just resigned Banks to a two year deal. That in and of itself means nothing as the contract isn't guaranteed. BUT, they gave him an $800k signing bonus. Cut him now and they take an $800k hit on the cap for having him attend 5 weeks of mini-camp. If the Texans had any thought of not keeping Banks this year they would have made his contract more salary adn less signing bonus. Banks will be in Houston standing on the sideline this season.
Old 06-16-2005   #66
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
They may not be infallible, but folks need to read the tea leaves. The Texans just resigned Banks to a two year deal. That in and of itself means nothing as the contract isn't guaranteed. BUT, they gave him an $800k signing bonus. Cut him now and they take an $800k hit on the cap for having him attend 5 weeks of mini-camp. If the Texans had any thought of not keeping Banks this year they would have made his contract more salary adn less signing bonus. Banks will be in Houston standing on the sideline this season.
And for me, that's a comforting thought. We need to have Tony around at least one more year, probably 2, if for nothing else but to see how things play out with Rags. If by chance we trade him this season or the next off season, there isn't anyone besides Tony on the staff with the experience that I would trust a game to. We have a couple of PROSPECTS, but no one that I would feel even reasonably comfortable with as a back up.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #67
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellojohnnyboi
Honestly this is what i think the Texans quaterback situation will look like...

Opening Day
David Carr
Dave Ragone
BJ Symons
Preston Parsons

What I think will happen is....get rid of Tony Banks(trade, waive)...I think that of course will give Dave Ragon the green light to back up Carr full time...BJ Symons will bump up on to the active roster mainly because he is a Texas hero(went to the same Jr. High that I just graduated from...im in 9th grade) and i think Preston Parsons will move onto the PS or the Texans will find an excuse to put him on the IR.

Tell me what y'all think of this?
Heya Johnny,

Covered this one above too and would agree with the last 2 posters.

Banks is our #2 QB - hands down. No other guy on the roster has the experience or grasp of the offense better than him outside of Carr and Bank has been signed thru next year also. They haev full confidence in Tony going in if David goes down. While RAgone has done an outstanding job this year in NFLE - he's oru 3rd QB on the chart and will remain there unless traded this year.
Symons may be cut or put on IR unless Ragone is traded. Talking of Texas heroes - how about Chance Mock?? Certainly think he might make the Practice Squad this year. I think him and Preston will be cut before camp and one will be added to the PS.

IMO Ragone's best bet is to get to a team he can compete for the #2 job on. That wont be here with the Texans for at least a few more years IMO. Banks is not that great, but he's inexpensive, reliable and knowledgeable of our offense enough to step in and play at anytime for at least a few more years.

Ragone will be up for contract next year as an RFA or will become an FA in the year following. IMO our best bet is to trade him now or next year before he becomes a street FA and can try-out with any team.

Last edited by U4ikrob; 06-16-2005 at 10:07 AM.
U4ikrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-16-2005   #68
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by U4ikrob
Ragone will be up for contract next year as an RFA or will become an FA in the year following. IMO our best bet is to trade him now or next year before he becomes a street FA and can try-out with any team.
In order for the Texans to make a good trade, Ragone is going to need to play at least a little in some real games. This may be a good reason to place Ragone as number two, even if Banks appears to be the better overall quarterback. Ragone has to show that he can do it at the NFL level.

Aside from the marketing considerations for trading Ragone, I agree that Banks appears to be the better overall quarterback at this point. We need to keep Banks on the roster in case Ragone does not show that he is good enough to play in the NFL. Despite Ragone's excellent showing in the NFLEL, he still has a lot to prove at the NFL level.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #69
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

We aren't going to trade Ragone this year...or Banks. This is one of the more stable positions on our team. We have worked for years to get to this point.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read