Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-04-2012   #1
sometexansfan
Blue Bomber

Rep Power: 142 sometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Screens

I've noticed we haven't run that many this year. We were considered as one of the best teams at doing so in years past, so why not this year? Perhaps it's the defenses we've seen this year or maybe Kubes doesn't trust the new fellows on the right side quite yet? All I know is I would much rather see us try a screen to Foster instead of a draw play on 3rd and long that goes for next to nothing. Anybody else have any thoughts about this?
sometexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012   #2
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Screens

Thought about this myself during the game today. The only thing I could come up with was remembering when I asked myself this question before and then Foster went all screen crazy for a while. I am sure it will be back sooner or later.

It also seems to me that when we do, we are focusing more on OD and Casey in these situations as opposed to a standard RB screen w Foster.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012   #3
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71089 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

every screen i have seen this season has been stopped for very little of a gain to a loss on the play. Dont know why its different this year.
Old 11-04-2012   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 89729 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

We have seen screens some on 3rd and long (when we don't run a draw) lol

We had some te screens to start the game a few weeks ago and gained some big yardage (if I recall)

Think it was against the jags
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51932 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
every screen i have seen this season has been stopped for very little of a gain to a loss on the play. Dont know why its different this year.
Every screen I've seen this season has been on 3rd and long from deep within our own territory. Its the most obvious screen call and it rightfully gets stopped pretty quickly
Old 11-05-2012   #6
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Screens aren't the type of play you can run just to run it. You let the defense dictate when it's a good time to run a screen.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

In a general sense, I get the feeling that opposing D's are watching for that after we had some real success with it last year. I think our coaches know it's just not available much right now. I've wondered sometimes this year when we would see Schaub roll out and throw back against the grain again, but he did it today. You have to catch the D not looking for these things or they don't work.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-05-2012   #8
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's due to not seeing much blitzing vs. Schaubby. D knows Schaubby will tear them a new D hole if they get too blitz happy. I think this was also a mechanism to help hide TJ Yates last year. Schaubby don't hide. SCHAUBBY SLICE!!!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012   #9
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 81572 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to know where the passing game with Foster's been period. Some of his biggest plays he's made has been when we threw him the ball and this year I can only think of a couple of times we've even tried to pass it to him. Maybe it's because he's been dropping those? Or maybe Kubes is holding that back until he needs it?
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012   #10
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Defenses dont really attack us. They know to stop the ZBS you read/react and they do it. One reason Schaub hasn't been sacked a whole lot.
Old 11-05-2012   #11
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
I'd like to know where the passing game with Foster's been period. Some of his biggest plays he's made has been when we threw him the ball and this year I can only think of a couple of times we've even tried to pass it to him. Maybe it's because he's been dropping those? Or maybe Kubes is holding that back until he needs it?
I'd like to know too. Foster was a top 3 RB in receptions, yardage, last season. This season he doesn't crack the top 30. Vonta Leach has more receiving yards than Foster.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012   #12
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2069 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected

They've tried early in the season. I can recall Foster dropping atleast two screen passes.
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012   #13
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it has a lot to do with the load he's already carrying with pounding the rock so much. We don't have someone to give him a breather like we had last year with Tate. Maybe when Tate comes back from his injury, and is back up to speed, then hopefully the passes to Foster will pick up.

There's no doubt that he's dangerous when given the ball in space, but add another 40-50 yards of receiving to his work load and he's going to feel that even more. He's a great weapon, but we have to be smart with him. I don't think this is one of those "ride him til' the wheels fall off" scenarios. If that happens, then we are majorly screwed. He may not be putting up numbers that fantasy players want, but we're winning as a team. It may not always be pretty, but I'll take that W over him blowing out the stat sheets and ending up with a loss. JMHO.....

Edit: IIRC, I think he was averaging around 11 yards per reception last year. That's a remarkable number. I also think he led the league among RBs.
Old 11-05-2012   #14
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 81572 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...F/FostAr00.htm

In 2010 and 2011 he had over 600 yards receiving, this year he's at 77 total. I agree with Jeremy that Kubes might just be reducing his receptions to avoid putting excess wear on the tires but maybe instead of having him carry so much we could use him in the passing game to get him into space more to reduce the hits he's taking from linemen and LB's.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012   #15
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
http://www.pro-football-reference.co...F/FostAr00.htm

In 2010 and 2011 he had over 600 yards receiving, this year he's at 77 total. I agree with Jeremy that Kubes might just be reducing his receptions to avoid putting excess wear on the tires but maybe instead of having him carry so much we could use him in the passing game to get him into space more to reduce the hits he's taking from linemen and LB's.
Only concern there is that his running is what opens the play action and bootlegs so well. I think they're targeting OD and Casey more in the situations that they normally would have used him in the past. It's a catch 22 really. He's a dynamic player and you want to get the ball into this hands as much as possible. Hard to balance that with wear & tear though. Again, maybe it all will change once Tate comes back into the fold.
Old 11-05-2012   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sometexansfan View Post
I've noticed we haven't run that many this year. We were considered as one of the best teams at doing so in years past, so why not this year? Perhaps it's the defenses we've seen this year or maybe Kubes doesn't trust the new fellows on the right side quite yet? All I know is I would much rather see us try a screen to Foster instead of a draw play on 3rd and long that goes for next to nothing. Anybody else have any thoughts about this?
lots of people hanging around the box trying to take away the run (lots of gap discipline keeps lots of guys around the box) and teams are not blitzing us much out of fear for the play action. Hard to screen in that environment but that's why we get the wide open OD and Walter looks early in the year.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012   #17
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
lots of people hanging around the box trying to take away the run (lots of gap discipline keeps lots of guys around the box) and teams are not blitzing us much out of fear for the play action. Hard to screen in that environment but that's why we get the wide open OD and Walter looks early in the year.
Speaking of which, we totally blew a chance yesterday later in the game. I erased the game from my DVR, so I can't rewatch it, but we got the exact same thing that happened on the open play that OD scored a TD on. They didn't show it for long, because the pass ended up going to the left side, but whoever was down the middle heading to the right was WIDE open! It looked like a carbon copy of the OD touch down, so I'm assuming it was him. I was like, "holy hell man!". I guess Schaub just didn't see it in time. Would have taken it to the house. I wish I knew the time in the game for reference. Maybe 76Texan can pull it up or something. He's pretty good on that type of stuff.
Old 11-05-2012   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
Speaking of which, we totally blew a chance yesterday later in the game. I erased the game from my DVR, so I can't rewatch it, but we got the exact same thing that happened on the open play that OD scored a TD on. They didn't show it for long, because the pass ended up going to the left side, but whoever was down the middle heading to the right was WIDE open! It looked like a carbon copy of the OD touch down, so I'm assuming it was him. I was like, "holy hell man!". I guess Schaub just didn't see it in time. Would have taken it to the house. I wish I knew the time in the game for reference. Maybe 76Texan can pull it up or something. He's pretty good on that type of stuff.
I think I remember that play. Schaub could have a few more TD passes this year on guys he either missed or threw balls that made guys change their strides.
Quote:
Maybe 76Texan can pull it up or something. He's pretty good on that type of stuff.
too bad his peepee got hurtz.

Old 11-05-2012   #19
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I think I remember that play. Schaub could have a few more TD passes this year on guys he either missed or threw balls that made guys change their strides.

too bad his peepee got hurtz.
Is he not around anymore or something? I don't really pay that much attention.....LOL
Old 11-05-2012   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Is he not around anymore or something? I don't really pay that much attention.....LOL
He got bent over a mod moving his thead. It's been kinda funny, kinda sad. He's accusing us of wanting to ban him...that's the hilarious part.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read