Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 10-14-2012   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Manti Te'o

I would like to see the Texans get this kid.
6'2 255lbs

http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Draft-...2013/Manti-Teo

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664155
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012   #2
Farough
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 880 Farough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Farough

Love him, I'm a notre dame fan and I can definitely say their defense hasn't seen a leader like him in a long time
Old 10-14-2012   #3
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manti Te'o

I think everybody would. The only problem is, Te'o is probably a top 15 pick. If he dropped to the Texans pick, I would be ecstatic.

However, we could potentially package Tate and our 1st to get into position for Te'o. Maybe.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012   #4
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

The guys a great players but he's not needed on this team, he doesn't fit our defense. We'd be back in the same situation as when we had Demeco, a highly paid player in a 2 down rotational position that comes off the field alot. The only way Te'o makes sense for the Texans is if you want him to take Cushings place on the roster. Can he handle pass coverage as well as Cushing?
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

1st & Tate probably not enough. Talking 10-15 range & would require another pick at least late 3rd. In essence that's late picks in each of first three rounds. For argument sake, Texans win Superbowl. Picking 32nd = 590 points according to current trade value chart. To move up to 11 that's worth 1250 points. Difference of 660 points with 3rd this worth only 116. Tate was selected 58th (320) still leaving a 224 point gap. Texans could then make a strong case Ben Tate is worth a higher 2nd. So if they Rick Smith could sell case Tate is worth the 3rd/4th pick of second round & team dealing pick have/need RB this might happen. That's being very hopeful.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Who knew Texan defense & offense would look so inept against the down trodden Packers. So many holes where to start? Trading away player(s) draft picks, to move up & grab Te'o or any one special player would help for sure but Texans still have multiple needs not just one player away, like we were thinking before the Packers popped our collective balloon on both sides DL, ILB, CB, S, OL while keeping within the framework of salary cap constraints.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-21-2012   #7
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Who knew Texan defense & offense would look so inept against the down trodden Packers. So many holes where to start? Trading away player(s) draft picks, to move up & grab Te'o or any one special player would help for sure but Texans still have multiple needs not just one player away, like we were thinking before the Packers popped our collective balloon on both sides DL, ILB, CB, S, OL while keeping within the framework of salary cap constraints.
That likely means taking a page out of the Patriots playbook and moving down for multiple picks in the 2nd-3rd where you get more value for your salary cap dollar and still find quality players who fit what you want to do.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2012   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
That likely means taking a page out of the Patriots playbook and moving down for multiple picks in the 2nd-3rd where you get more value for your salary cap dollar and still find quality players who fit what you want to do.
To replicate that requires a Superbowl or two first. Rick has to continue on his own path moving around as his big board dictates.

If you watch Norte Dame defense, T'eo is not alone, he has some big strong defensive linemen that help keep him clean & create gaps/lanes to jump. Those are the players more likely to be on Texan wish list come next April.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-21-2012   #9
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Wrong forum.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Wrong forum.
too many dopplebocks @ Oktoberfest?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-22-2012   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I think I've said it at least once in this forum but... I'm at a point where I'd almost do anything to trade up to a spot to get Te'o. Cush and Te'o on the field at the same time with Barwin/Reed/Mercilus rotating on the outside? I don't even have words to express how great that would be.

I just don't think it's going to be feasible or do-able. But I still dream about it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I think I've said it at least once in this forum but... I'm at a point where I'd almost do anything to trade up to a spot to get Te'o. Cush and Te'o on the field at the same time with Barwin/Reed/Mercilus rotating on the outside? I don't even have words to express how great that would be.

I just don't think it's going to be feasible or do-able. But I still dream about it.
kinda funny each year we have our favorites but soon fade as unrealistic targets because they just keep getting more exposure while playing big games @ higher levels. Looking forward to this weekend when ND plays OU

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-22-2012   #13
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Right now Te'o is looking like Von Miller in that dude was looking to be a mid first rounder but with the kind of exposure he's getting unfortunately(for us) it's looking like he could be playing himself into the top 10.

Though I do really would love to see Him in our front 7...that'd just be sick.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012   #14
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

As a huge ND fan, I would love Te'o on the team. He's an outstanding football player and more importantly an outstanding human being. He's the kind of guy you want to route for.

A couple of other guys that would be awesome from ND are Louis Nix, Prince Shembo, Cierre Wood, Theo Reddick, Tyler Eifert and Zack Martin (at Rt OT). Some of these guys are Jrs but all would be excellent fits on the Texans. I also like Dan Fox if he's available in the later rounds
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012   #15
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Most people on here know where I stand as far as ND goes and a couple players that have been mentioned ....

Tyler Eifert is arguably the best TE in the country, not only does he run seem routes well but he is a tremendous blocker as well. I am biased, and while there are TE putting up better stats but of course we all know that does not tell the whole story.

Theo Riddick will most likely go undrafted, so he maybe worth a look as an undrafted FA.

Cierre Wood He is probably a 4th or 5th round pick
Old 10-29-2012   #16
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't get all the Texans draft hype around the board regarding Te'o. Cushing will be back next year, and he will be our MLB of the future. There's just no way the Texans trade up 15+ spots in the first round to pick an ILB, unless Cushing isn't coming back. ILB should be a 3rd-5th round priority, but before that we need a WR, RT and/or NT. Te'o is a pipe dream.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012   #17
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I don't get all the Texans draft hype around the board regarding Te'o. Cushing will be back next year, and he will be our MLB of the future. There's just no way the Texans trade up 15+ spots in the first round to pick an ILB, unless Cushing isn't coming back. ILB should be a 3rd-5th round priority, but before that we need a WR, RT and/or NT. Te'o is a pipe dream.

In a 3-4 you need two ILB, and Teo is a special player. Heck ND brought back "C" just because of him. I honestly do not think we will draft him so I am not thinking that way.
Old 10-29-2012   #18
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
In a 3-4 you need two ILB, and Teo is a special player. Heck ND brought back "C" just because of him. I honestly do not think we will draft him so I am not thinking that way.
I'm not discounting Te'o value (I think he will be a top 10 pick come draft time), I just don't think the Texans have the assets nor inclination to trade up for an ILB. It's about as pointless of discussion as wanting to get Barkevious Mingo, Luke Joeckel or Star Lotulelei. Their value is well out of range of where the Texans are currently projected to draft 26-32. We simply don't have a big enough need at ILB to waste two 1sts and Ben Tate or whatever to trade up that far.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I think that's the point, though. Now is the time to do some pipe-dreaming. If you don't allow yourself to think of the impossible from time to time, then you never take risks and it's just the same old, same old.

Having Cush and Te'o as our starting inside LBs with Dobbins and James as depth and maybe a developmental guy for STs would solidify the interior of our defense. It would significantly improve our defense.

Can we make it happen? At this point, it certainly seems impossible. But if you had asked me in 2006 if I thought we'd be able to get Demeco Ryans in the 2nd round, I would have told you no. I thought he was a top 10 pick. Things happen and an ILB isn't the sexy pick. If Te'o drops (which I don't expect), I'd love to be able to jump up to about 20 to nab him.

But like you said, it's just pipedreaming at this point and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Teo is being talked about as s heisman candidate. Demeco was not in the same universe coming out.

Unless Teo tests extremely poorly, has some catastrophic injury or gets his talent taken by the football version of the monstars he is not going to last to our pick.

Honestly I'd rather read about more realistic possibilities but don't begrudge people who hope and wish.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read