Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-29-2012   #41
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kraft: "London ready for own NFL team"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
It is the National Football League. It's not the World Football League or the International Football League.

The day they put a team in London, or Mexico City, or Toronto is going to be a very bad day for NFL fans everywhere. How much do these *******s have to own? How much money is enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
MSR

Spot On
I'm sorry, but how exactly is this "spot on"?

Might as well change the name of the National Basketball Association, or the National Hockey League, and throw in the American League of the MLB in there as well because they all have teams from Toronto.

Personally, I would cheer against any Toronto NFL team because they'd probably be placed in the AFC and thus would stand in the way of the Texans. They already shove the Bills down our throats here, so I could only imagine.

On the flip side, it would give me a chance to see the Houston Texans live from here instead of watching every game on NFL Sunday Ticket.

Regardless, I can see why some people would oppose a team move here, but to say it would be "a very bad day for NFL fans everywhere" stinks of a child who refuses to share.

Why? Because I consider myself an NFL fan too.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012   #42
LondonTex
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3606 LondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
This is not a good idea. I really feel sorry for the players that would spend half their games with all that travel time. That team will never be in the playoffs because their players are going to be to tired to play all their road games.

This idea sucks.
agreed Thorn
Old 10-29-2012   #43
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Until a supersonic jet comes along that can make the flight across the pond in 2 or 3 hours, then this should not happen. I don't have a problem with the NFL wanting to go international. But putting a team in Toronto or Monterrey is a lot easier than putting a team almost in another hemisphere.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012   #44
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 246310 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Until a supersonic jet comes along that can make the flight across the pond in 2 or 3 hours, then this should not happen. I don't have a problem with the NFL wanting to go international. But putting a team in Toronto or Monterrey is a lot easier than putting a team almost in another hemisphere.
This makes much more sense if they just have to go international. Which they don't.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012   #45
LondonTex
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3606 LondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respectedLondonTex is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
This makes much more sense if they just have to go international. Which they don't.
This has always been one of my main points. The NFL is not in decline or anything that they need to tap out to other countries.
Fair enough, reach out to international fans in certain ways...even have exhibition games in the off season in different countries if the current IS games die a slow death, plenty of merch and avenues for fans abroad to continue to watch their beloved sport (like the UK subscription to gamepass which comes in very handy ) ...but the NFL doesn't 'need' to place franchises in other countries. I suspect Goodell is making this about him and his 'legacy' rather than the good of the NFL and it's fans. Anyway I've said enough about this subject on here and the other forums...I get bored of hearing myself rehash the same old same old...I'm not even concerned cuz it aint ever gonna happen!

As for the Rams yesterday - I bet they're glad they pulled out of the London deal. It was more like a road game for them in terms of fan support. I wonder if they'd have been blown out as badly at their actual home as they were in London.
Old 10-29-2012   #46
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotTexas2Step View Post
I'm sorry, but how exactly is this "spot on"?

Might as well change the name of the National Basketball Association, or the National Hockey League, and throw in the American League of the MLB in there as well because they all have teams from Toronto.

Personally, I would cheer against any Toronto NFL team because they'd probably be placed in the AFC and thus would stand in the way of the Texans. They already shove the Bills down our throats here, so I could only imagine.

On the flip side, it would give me a chance to see the Houston Texans live from here instead of watching every game on NFL Sunday Ticket.

Regardless, I can see why some people would oppose a team move here, but to say it would be "a very bad day for NFL fans everywhere" stinks of a child who refuses to share.

Why? Because I consider myself an NFL fan too.
Why should I share? Why should any NFL fan have to share above and beyond the televised games that you already get up there and that they already get overseas? When did sharing become part of this paradigm? NFL owners don't share. Find me some Buffalo fans who actually live in Buffalo who are tickled to death with home games played in Toronto. Show me NFL fans from any city that has an NFL team who are completely positive about any home games played out of their home city. I've never read anything but comments complaining about or dreading the possibility of having home games taken away to be "shared" with other locations. My first instinct is to to say "**** that!"

Look, there's only room for so many teams. If the NFL added another 8 teams to accommodate Los Angelas, London, Toronto, and who knows what other locations the greedy bastards have in mind that would mean that 12 teams at the bottom of the first round would be taking players who were no better than second round talent back when the league was at 28 teams. There is a finite amount of talent as it is.

The rest of you should enjoy your televised NFL experience, maybe plan a vacation weekend to see a team you like, and quit expecting people who have NFL football to want to share it with you. Expansion is bad for the sport. It's good for the bank accounts of the owners so it will probably happen but that doesn't mean it's good for the sport. The NFL owners won't realize this until they've completely saturated the market for their product but more football does not always equal better football or a better experience for football fans. Alternately moving an NFL team to another city in another country is wrong on so many levels that it shouldn't even need to be explained. The day the Bills move from Buffalo to Toronto is indeed a bad day to be an NFL fan.
Old 10-29-2012   #47
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The NFL is going to do whatever it can to maximize profits. The only voice we have as fans is our money. Is anyone going to boycott the NFL because they put a team overseas? Unlikely

Whenever the NFL changes the rules, has a lockout, moves teams, talks about foreign expansion or 18 game seasons, there's a lot of talk about how bad of an idea it is. It comes down to a basic business decision. Does this increase revenues, yes or no? The league doesn't really care about the fans as long as they keep paying
Old 10-29-2012   #48
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

When a game sells out in London, its because its a novelty and not because the British want American Football. If they put a team over there, it'll be broke in three years.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012   #49
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

What if they put your team overseas gtexan02? I don't know how you would respond but I'd wash my hands of the bastards. I love watching NFL football but I went without it when the Oiler's left and I've never returned to the same level of passion I had before then. I don't pretend to be a Browns fan but I feel for those people and have a healthy hatred of Art Modell for what he did to them. It carries over to his former team and the city of Baltimore which I just really friggin despise because they had an NFL owner screw them and then turned around later and with Modell did the exact same thing to another teams fans. I have nothing but loathing for the Ravens. Always have.

I think once the league screws you over you see them in a different light. I don't see life without the NFL as a particularly bad thing. It's entertainment. I can find other entertainment.

Last edited by Hervoyel; 10-29-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012   #50
LondonTex
Site Contributor

Sorry to beat the same drum over and over but just want to re-emphasise a point - I genuinely believe the vast majority of serious UK NFL fans don't want a franchise here - we are happy supporting our teams in the states from a distance - via gamepass, TV, trips abroad etc. I see the talk of a potential UK franchise as a PR stunt to continue to garner interest in the NFL for the reasons of merchandise sales, NFL gamepass subscriptions, IS games, to get new fans interested in their product etc - surely the NFL don't seriously believe it can work? Maybe other UK peeps on here can correct me if they feel differently
Old 10-29-2012   #51
gwallaia

Rep Power: 69621 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't those people only watch the other kind of football?

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012   #52
LondonTex
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Don't those people only watch the other kind of football?
Is that a question to me?
Old 10-29-2012   #53
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What if they put your team overseas gtexan02? I don't know how you would respond but I'd wash my hands of the bastards.
I cheer for the Texans because I'm from Houston. I haven't lived in Houston since 2002, although my family does. If the team left Houston, of course I'd quit cheering for them eventually. This isn't happening though, so its not really indicative of anything.[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I think once the league screws you over you see them in a different light. I don't see life without the NFL as a particularly bad thing. It's entertainment. I can find other entertainment.
I wasn't really an Oilers fan enough to feel betrayed by the NFL. Maybe thats the difference
Old 10-29-2012   #54
gwallaia

Rep Power: 69621 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonTex View Post
Is that a question to me?
Well, it was directed to the general membership but you are probably more qualified to answer it.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012   #55
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 33323 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

I can see a team in Canada like Vancouver or Toronto...but London? The travel time would be ridiculous.

And contrary to some in here, I think it'd be great for the NFL to move into Canada.
Old 10-29-2012   #56
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 313912 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovel View Post
Straight up. As much passion as I have for the Texans, it never leaves my mind that it's a entertainment business, first and foremost. I never felt that with the Oilers. They were a part of the Houston landscape. Regardless of their choking history and buffoon of an owner, they were still "our" team. We all collectively loved that team, adored the players, and all shared in the few triumphs and overwhelming heartbreaks. That was our team...until, that is, we found out the hard way.

I do not think Bob McNair would ever do that to the Texans and Houston. But, he's going to pass away one day and someone else will own the team. I do not know who that will be, but I cannot assume that this new owner will have the same devotion to the city. In 20 years Reliant will be considered an old stadium, so the cycle continues. The next owner will want whatever state-of-the-art whistles and bells that will be available by then, and if Houstonian's don't/won't pay for it, then the FRANCHISE can be moved.

And that's what "our" team is at the end of the day. A FRANCHISE. An investment in an entertainment industry. And just like any other franchise, they can move and change names, colors, whatever. The NFL cares about fans...as long as we are paying customers. I get it. It's just business.

That's life with the NFL. Enjoy it while we've got it. No promises for tomorrow when that stadium lease expires.
Old 10-29-2012   #57
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

American football will never take in Europe because they don't play the game at the lower levels. I think that's one of the main reasons NFLE failed. That and the fact nobody over there wants to see a bunch of 4th string Americans play a sport they are unfamiliar with.

If you just have to expand internationally, Toronto would make much more sense since they have been playing their version of American football there for decades already. Not sure the Argonauts owner would agree though.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012   #58
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Well, it was directed to the general membership but you are probably more qualified to answer it.
Yes is the short answer...and far more furvantly than America supports American Football, England - population 50 million, proffessional association football clubs, 115. USA - population is what? 360 million (unsure off the top of my head) and supports 32 proffessional American Football clubs.

I don't like the tone guys like Herv take towards us uk fans in threads like this, and don't get me wrong, I have plenty of respect for Herv as a poster, but you call your Super Bowl winner world champions, and not a single Brit on this board has posted in favour of a franchise, I also think from LT's post about the atmos, many other proper fans over here must be giving the IS a miss just like me, I ain't handing over a ton to watch the Pats have the Rams beat by the end of the first half, hence why I haven't bothered going the last few years now.

That doesn't mean you won't get a sell out from less informed fans because we're crazy for sport over here and being drip fed it in meagre quantities will keep that curiosity element coming. They hype it well and of course there is a huge corporate element too.

Time to get off the high horse. You don't like expansion and your a Texans fan? Jesus.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012   #59
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

if they wanna expand expand into Canada and Mexico City keep it in North america 4 now plzzz

is the future goal u think is to acctually expand it into a world wide leauge kinda how soccer is and even soccer i dont no much about it but even that is not a worldwide league
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012   #60
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why should I share? Why should any NFL fan have to share above and beyond the televised games that you already get up there and that they already get overseas? When did sharing become part of this paradigm? NFL owners don't share. Find me some Buffalo fans who actually live in Buffalo who are tickled to death with home games played in Toronto. Show me NFL fans from any city that has an NFL team who are completely positive about any home games played out of their home city. I've never read anything but comments complaining about or dreading the possibility of having home games taken away to be "shared" with other locations. My first instinct is to to say "**** that!"

Look, there's only room for so many teams. If the NFL added another 8 teams to accommodate Los Angelas, London, Toronto, and who knows what other locations the greedy bastards have in mind that would mean that 12 teams at the bottom of the first round would be taking players who were no better than second round talent back when the league was at 28 teams. There is a finite amount of talent as it is.

The rest of you should enjoy your televised NFL experience, maybe plan a vacation weekend to see a team you like, and quit expecting people who have NFL football to want to share it with you. Expansion is bad for the sport. It's good for the bank accounts of the owners so it will probably happen but that doesn't mean it's good for the sport. The NFL owners won't realize this until they've completely saturated the market for their product but more football does not always equal better football or a better experience for football fans. Alternately moving an NFL team to another city in another country is wrong on so many levels that it shouldn't even need to be explained. The day the Bills move from Buffalo to Toronto is indeed a bad day to be an NFL fan.
I'm sorry you feel that way, but there's a fair chance it may happen one day, and hopefully you don't get too worked up about it.

You need to look at it differently. The number of season tickets sold to people from Toronto area rose almost 50 per cent in 2010, and as a result, the Bills sold 55,000 season tickets, their 3rd highest total in the franchise's history. If anything, they've helped keep the Bills in Buffalo.

Regardless, I get where you're coming from. It just rubs me the wrong way when you don't consider anyone outside of the US as "an NFL fan". We are cheering for the same team right?

Lastly, I guess we just view pride differently. You're proud of the NFL and don't feel any entitlement to share it. While I'm proud of it and would jump at any chance to convert a ton of people I know here into an NFL fan of their own team. The sport is that awesome and people shouldn't live without it.

To each their own I guess.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read