Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-25-2012   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ever Think the Cowboys Would Try to Mimic the Texans

Times they are a'changin'.

Quote:
October 24, 2012
Vickers: Cowboys can follow lead of 2011 Texans, persevere in wake of Lee's injury
Dallas Cowboys fullback Lawrence Vickers, a seventh-year NFL veteran, responded to the news about season-ending surgery for linebacker/team leader Sean Lee by preaching the gospel of the 2011 Houston Texans.

Vickers, a fullback in Houston last season, watched the team lose star after star _ defensive end Mario Williams, quarterback Matt Schaub, receiver Andre Johnson _ to a series of lengthy or season-ending injuries. Yet the Texans persevered and won the first division title and playoff game in franchise history. Asked if he’d ever been around a team that lost more key players in one season, Vickers said: “No.”

“Last year in Houston, it seemed like we had somebody go down every week,” Vickers said. “But after a while, we got used to it. When a guy goes down, the next guy steps up and it becomes his job. And you keep on ticking. Everybody’s a starter, man. That’s how you’ve got to prepare.”

Vickers said he shared his experiences today with Cowboys teammates’ to remind them that, at 3-3, there is a lot of season left to salvage without Lee if they do not give in to adversity.

“Absolutely,” Vickers said. “That’s how you know what type of team you’ve got.”
http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com...#storylink=cpy
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ever Think the Cowboys Would Try to Mimic the Texans

Now we're the "good example" ..... we used to be the "bad example" for so long.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #3
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

News Flash, Lawrence: You were on a helluva' team last year, bro.

Soooooo....uhh...yeah, your new team is scuh-rewed.
Old 10-26-2012   #4
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

The first place they should start is getting some classy fans.
Old 10-26-2012   #5
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 181446 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
I hate to say this, I really do, but I believe this as fact. If Dallas' fanbase consisted only of Dallasites present and former, they would not have the bad fan reputation they do.

It has seemed to me for years the horrible Dallas fans are the ones that never lived there. The ones I grew up with in Houston come to mind first, the ones in Austin second. All the cool ones are from there.
Old 10-26-2012   #6
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I hate to say this, I really do, but I believe this as fact. If Dallas' fanbase consisted only of Dallasites present and former, they would not have the bad fan reputation they do.

It has seemed to me for years the horrible Dallas fans are the ones that never lived there. The ones I grew up with in Houston come to mind first, the ones in Austin second. All the cool ones are from there.

As a Dallas fan that grew up in Ft. Worth, I can see this a little but I also see the other side of things too. Houston fans pride themselves on being "classy" and being here and seeing ya'll towards your team, I agree somewhat. But I wouldn't call Houston fans..the city.. in general that way. Living there and hearing the constant Cowboy hate talk on the radio, even when the Texans were a subject really turned me off. I've even seen the best Texans fans admit the city suffers from a little brother syndrome that has made people for years just obsess with Cowboy talk. I always tell people it goes both ways. You get bad Cowboy fans because you taunt the lion in the cage by constantly discussing Cowboy hate and fans. Chicken or the egg. Overall when I first moved to Houston in 1993, I didn't get that as much from Oiler fan and I was an Oiler fan as a secondary team. I'm going GP and babbling here.....but my point is there are bad fans in every lot. BUT I do get where you are coming from somewhat because 90% of the people I know who root for the Cowboys grew up with or around me in the DFW area.

Here is an example of trash fans hating...Soldier/Cowboy Fan who lost legs in Afghanistan taunted at bar after Panther game

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ball-fans.html
Old 10-26-2012   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh, they're just jealous 'cause we won a playoff game.

Seriously though, only bad Cowboys fans I've actually heard are the ones on the radio and other media. The media tends attract bad fans of all teams.

Getting away from the media, the bad fans are usually the band-wagoners for whatever team won the last SB or that they started the season off thinking would. The Saints come to mind, although a lot of their bandwagoners are probably jumping ship right now.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-26-2012   #8
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

If they wanted to mimic the Texans then it would start at the top. Bob McNair is patient (probably too patient). Jerry Jones is not. But there's something to be said that by the end of this football season, the Texans will probably have more playoffs win in the last 15 years than the Cowboys will.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Now we're the "good example" ..... we used to be the "bad example" for so long.
True, but it's too late for the Cowboys. What made last year's "next man up" thing work so well was the work that Kubiak did 6 years ago, starting with arranging a face to face between McNair & Rick Smith.

This team is deep & looks like they're always looking at the future. We've had a couple of Duds, but we've hit far more studs over that time.

Next man up, that's the way this team was built.
Old 10-26-2012   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
If they wanted to mimic the Texans then it would start at the top. Bob McNair is patient (probably too patient). Jerry Jones is not. But there's something to be said that by the end of this football season, the Texans will probably have more playoffs win in the last 15 years than the Cowboys will.
Jerry has been more patient than people think..not McNair patient, but patient.. I know it doesn't seem that way but most of the coaches they have had...some bad ones..have stayed a year or 2 too long. The one he got rid of quickly...Gailey..was alot better than Campo and I'd even say Garrett right now. Wade, a great coordinator..should have left the year before. Same with Parcells, who was just riding it out. His issue is that he wants to look patient but that isn't his nature. I think he just confuses himself.

If you really want to laugh and see how the Dallas media thinks Jones talks in circles, listen to the Fake Jerry Jones on the Ticket in Dallas. Some of the funniest stuff.."it is, but it isn't." The Fake Garrett..they think he is a robot.

http://www.theunticket.com/fake-jerry-jason-10-15-12/
Old 10-26-2012   #11
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What sucks about Cowboys fans, if you go to a game and sit in the high dollar seats, is they sit on their hands. Both the old & new stadium experience is quiet. You leave Reliant with your ears ringing.

As far as class, those fans far outclass the owner. Jerruh don't fit in Highland Park.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #12
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53113 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
As a Dallas fan that grew up in Ft. Worth, I can see this a little but I also see the other side of things too. Houston fans pride themselves on being "classy" and being here and seeing ya'll towards your team, I agree somewhat. But I wouldn't call Houston fans..the city.. in general that way. Living there and hearing the constant Cowboy hate talk on the radio, even when the Texans were a subject really turned me off. I've even seen the best Texans fans admit the city suffers from a little brother syndrome that has made people for years just obsess with Cowboy talk. I always tell people it goes both ways. You get bad Cowboy fans because you taunt the lion in the cage by constantly discussing Cowboy hate and fans. Chicken or the egg. Overall when I first moved to Houston in 1993, I didn't get that as much from Oiler fan and I was an Oiler fan as a secondary team. I'm going GP and babbling here.....but my point is there are bad fans in every lot. BUT I do get where you are coming from somewhat because 90% of the people I know who root for the Cowboys grew up with or around me in the DFW area.

Here is an example of trash fans hating...Soldier/Cowboy Fan who lost legs in Afghanistan taunted at bar after Panther game

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ball-fans.html
The Cowboys are a lightning rod like other nationally popular teams (Lakers, Yankees) because they attract a lot of bandwagon fans. So that explains some of the hate for the Cowboys in Houston. You'll find the same sentiment in most other cities, but maybe not to the same extent. I lived in both Houston and Dallas for extended periods of time, Dallas being the most recent one, and I kind of agree with both of you. I think Cowboys fans from the Metroplex ARE different than those who have no Dallas ties. A lot of my friends are Cowboys fans, and they actually ask me about the Texans from time to time. I also think some Texans fans are a little too jumpy about the Cowboys and think there is some rivalry between the teams, when there really isn't.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #13
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jerry has been more patient than people think..not McNair patient, but patient.. I know it doesn't seem that way but most of the coaches they have had...some bad ones..have stayed a year or 2 too long. The one he got rid of quickly...Gailey..was alot better than Campo and I'd even say Garrett right now. Wade, a great coordinator..should have left the year before. Same with Parcells, who was just riding it out. His issue is that he wants to look patient but that isn't his nature. I think he just confuses himself.

If you really want to laugh and see how the Dallas media thinks Jones talks in circles, listen to the Fake Jerry Jones on the Ticket in Dallas. Some of the funniest stuff.."it is, but it isn't." The Fake Garrett..they think he is a robot.

Patience or not, Jerry's biggst problem is his ego. As an owner he is one of the best in the NFL and as a GM he is in he bottom 5; and there is the problem. You can no longer seperate Jerry the owner from Jerry the GM.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #14
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53113 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Jerry wants to look like he knows something about football, but he doesn't. At least not to the degree of an NFL GM. If he really wanted to do his team good, he'd hire a real GM and just watch the games from his box. Then other problems would work themselves out eventually.

Discussing things like "Is Romo good enought?", "Is Garrett a good HC, or just a good OC?", "Who's to blame for the clock management issues, Romo or Garrett?" to me is pointless without talking about Jerry. It all starts at the top, with him.
Old 10-26-2012   #15
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not freaking possible....I was at Relaint for "Tailgate Gate" and they were as rude and obnoxious as advertised despite their team being 0-2 at the time and on the road to worst season in 15 years. We all saw the brawls in stands and out in lot....they freaking changed our tailgate policy. Cowboy fans are worst fans in all of sports (worldwide)
Quote:

The ones in the SA area are the worst...complete d-bags..and the worst part is is that they are in the media. (Don Harris..Mike Taylor..David Chancellor..etc) Until recently they wouldnt acknowledge that there was Texans fans here...that is until the watch parties were shown on TV and covered in newspaper. Now they begrudgingly talk about the Texans (IN EVERY SPORTSCAST)....IMO the Cowboy fans can suck it go watch the history channel if you like talking about the past. Its time for us to end the Blue Star Plague.This town and this state are turning Battle Red!!!

(ps guys check out our fanclub on FB Houston Texans Fan Club of San Antonio...we have almost 900 likes/members. If you have family in SA or live there)
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #16
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 147070 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Mantra for the 2012 cowboys -

Next man up to the glory hole. I bet that tshirt would a hot seller in the dfw.
Old 10-26-2012   #17
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
Mantra for the 2012 cowboys -

Next man up to the glory hole. I bet that tshirt would a hot seller in the dfw.

COWBOYS STADIUM

Dang, Jerry, you lied. You said you and your boys wouldn't pull out!
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #18
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 146868 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

and if vickers could catch a pass he'd be answering questions about being 6-1.
Old 10-27-2012   #19
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Cowboys fans are some of the most obnoxious human beings I've ever met. Though, Saints fans are a close second (HATE Saints fans).

Regarding Vickers' point: He's forgetting that the 2011 Texans had depth at almost every position, allowing us to adjust; we also had a head coach that had been here for a while, and they have Richie Cunningham still learning to ride his bike.

No way can the 2012 Cowboys become the 2011 Texans.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012   #20
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Jerry has an interesting take on what the job description of a GM is...

Quote:
“That is one of the luxuries of my position as owner as well as the ultimate decision maker, general manager and president – I can do that and take the losses and come back for more,” he said this week at Valley Ranch, talking about his management style.

The whole article HERE

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read